Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:29:51 PM EDT
[#1]
If the question is "Am I the Asshole", the answer is always 'yes'.

Ban this crosspost bullshit.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All of it belongs to the kid.
View Quote

This.  Stack the cash, ignore the bitches and enjoy life, kid.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:34:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Blended family dynamics can get tricky, and while some view their step-siblings as their blood relatives, others don't necessarily feel that bond.

That seems to be the case in this story about a 17-year-old who is set to receive a large inheritance from his late mother when he turns 18. Unfortunately, his father and stepmother recently found out about the money, and are now pressuring him to share it with his step-siblings.

Here's the full story in 17-year-old u/NothingThick4824's own words:

"I, a 17-year-old male, will be coming into a large amount of money when I turn 18. This is money that my mom, who died when I was 7, and my maternal grandparents accumulated for me since I was born. I won't say the exact amount, but it's between $500K and $1 million."

"The reason it's that much is my grandparents ran a successful business for many years, and they sold it 18 months ago, and all money from that sale went to me. They kept none of it."

"My grandparents have control over all of it currently. Before my mom died, she left them in charge of the account where she was saving. She was married to my dad at the time, but had wanted to secure my future in case anything happened, like dad remarrying and having additional kids."

"She didn't want to run the risk that once she was gone, her money could be used for someone who wasn't her kid. My dad knew some money had been saved for me by mom, but was never aware of how much or little it was. He also had no idea my grandparents continued saving for me."

"My grandparents told me about the money over a year ago. They wanted me to prepare for my future and to know I would have so many options because of the money available to me."

"They also mentioned it never bringing back my mom, but could alleviate the burden of becoming an adult."

"So here's the deal. My dad did remarry. He has a stepdaughter (16) and a son (5) with his current wife."

"Eventually, I told him it wasn't going to be a big concern, and I told him about the money."

"He was like wtf, and then he told his wife, and they apparently went wtf together and told me that I could be gracious and split the money when I get it between the three of us, and give the other two a chance to have a decent helping hand with college."

"I told them I would not be sharing it because it was created by my family, not theirs. Dad's wife argued that it would be incredibly selfish to take such a large amount of money and blow it all on myself when I have two siblings who could also benefit in major ways from it."

"They are SO not happy with me. They told me that being selfish with this is not a good way to be. My dad is also pissed that he continued saving for me and dividing things equally between the three of us when I have so much I'll have access to in a few months. Am I the asshole?"

People rushed to the comments to weigh in, with user Artistic_Tough5005 writing: "Not the asshole. Their reaction is exactly why your mom set it up how she did!"

"She knew your dad and well enough to know the money would not be yours and used for children that are not hers."

"Not the asshole," user Outrageous_Shoe_1450 agreed. "For future reference, DON'T TELL ANYBODY ELSE ABOUT YOUR MONEY!"

"If it’s not already the case, open up a bank account at a different bank from the one your father uses," user lemon_charlie advised.

"No matter how you proceed, you need to protect the investment in your future your mother and grandparents have made because you know your father will want to access it."

"If Dad has put aside some money over the years and has, say, $50K in an account to pay for your college, I would see nothing wrong with shifting that $50K over to the other kids," user EnderBurger wrote, proposing a compromise.

"OP has half a million available, so OP's college is taken care of, and that $50K can be used to help the other kids."

Yikes. What do you think about this situation? Have you ever had a sticky situation involving inheritance money?

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/17-old-being-called-selfish-175910720.html

View Quote

Whoever was his mother’s attorney who wrote up that will/trust needs to be kicked in the nuts for giving an 18 year old $500,000 .

$50,000 ….sure…..$100,000 yeah, okay maybe.

But a half a million at that age???

He’ll be wrapping the latest gen Corvette around a tree before he is 18 and a half.

If this story is true…if?
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#4]
If we're talking about a legit $500k-$1M after taxes with only two step siblings, and the step siblings weren't total douche nozzles ... I'd probably cut my step siblings in just to not be douchey about it.  

Put like $50k into a 529 plan for each of the step siblings along with $50k for myself... then dump all of the rest into a Roth IRA account so nobody could hound me about the money for the next 42 years.  Being 17 with a few hundred k in an IRA would be pretty badass.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:37:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If I want to read Reddit, I know how to get there.  I don't need you to repost it.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:37:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
$500k is life changing at 18. Buy a house and reliable vehicle, and every cent of your adult salary can go toward wealth-building investments. You'll retire years earlier than your peers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Retarded
And 500k isn't shit.
$500k is life changing at 18. Buy a house and reliable vehicle, and every cent of your adult salary can go toward wealth-building investments. You'll retire years earlier than your peers.

This, although I'd add don't get too crazy with the house... don't leave like 10K to invest.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I think there are people that make up this shit and post it on Reddit as reality. Sort of like Mr. Cleanforhire here in GD or on this particular Am I the A hole sub Reddit. It’s just a creative writing outlet. What’s even more unbelievable is these contrived soap operas get onto real news sites.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:39:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I only had to read half of the story to come to my King Solomon solution: fuck that family.
Any man should be ashamed to ask his child for monetary help, unless there were some medical need. Fuck that guy, his second wife, and their two kids. So I have spoken, so it shall be done.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:40:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If I want to read Reddit, I know how to get there.  I don't need you to repost it.
View Quote
1st post nailed it
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:41:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Whoever was his mother's attorney who wrote up that will/trust needs to be kicked in the nuts for giving an 18 year old $500,000 .

$50,000  .sure ..$100,000 yeah, okay maybe.

But a half a million at that age???

He'll be wrapping the latest gen Corvette around a tree before he is 18 and a half.

If this story is true if?
View Quote
So an 18-year-old could be in charge of $500,000 worth of equipment in defending his country, but can't be trusted with it to do the right thing?
Neat
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:41:13 PM EDT
[#11]
My grandma married a guy that had 600 acres.

There is my brother, me, and two grandkids he has from his previous marriage/children.

When they died, my brother and I got zero. Nothing. And his grandchildren each got 300 acres.

It went down exactly how it should have. We didn't get anything, and we shouldn't have. He brought it into the relationship. It's his kin's inheritance, not ours.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:41:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Mom always told me that. I’ve forgotten it on a few occasions and have mentioned details of my investments to a few friends. Yes they do become resentful assholes. It’s oh so tiring.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
NEVER tell people you have money… people can be resentful, jealous pieces of shit.

Mom always told me that. I’ve forgotten it on a few occasions and have mentioned details of my investments to a few friends. Yes they do become resentful assholes. It’s oh so tiring.

Associate with a higher caliber people. I am nothing but happy to hear about a friends good fortune or savy investments. I’m not wealthy by any means. I barely make six figures. A far cry from most GD multi millionaires. But am comfortable in a low cost of living area and financially secure and have retirement investments. It is those who are poor that are are generally more resentful. Comparison is the thief of joy.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So an 18-year-old could be in charge of $500,000 worth of equipment in defending his country, but can't be trusted with it to do the right thing?
Neat
View Quote
To be fair, he can be court martialed for mismanaging his country's equipment. He is perfectly free to piss away his own wealth.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:44:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The smartest move for that kid is immediately filingn for emancipation and getting away from that toxic environment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Blended family dynamics can get tricky, and while some view their step-siblings as their blood relatives, others don't necessarily feel that bond.

That seems to be the case in this story about a 17-year-old who is set to receive a large inheritance from his late mother when he turns 18. Unfortunately, his father and stepmother recently found out about the money, and are now pressuring him to share it with his step-siblings.

"I, a 17-year-old male, will be coming into a large amount of money when I turn 18. This is money that my mom, who died when I was 7, and my maternal grandparents accumulated for me since I was born. I won't say the exact amount, but it's between $500K and $1 million."

"The reason it's that much is my grandparents ran a successful business for many years, and they sold it 18 months ago, and all money from that sale went to me. They kept none of it."

"My grandparents have control over all of it currently. Before my mom died, she left them in charge of the account where she was saving. She was married to my dad at the time, but had wanted to secure my future in case anything happened, like dad remarrying and having additional kids."

"She didn't want to run the risk that once she was gone, her money could be used for someone who wasn't her kid. My dad knew some money had been saved for me by mom, but was never aware of how much or little it was. He also had no idea my grandparents continued saving for me."

"My grandparents told me about the money over a year ago. They wanted me to prepare for my future and to know I would have so many options because of the money available to me."

"They also mentioned it never bringing back my mom, but could alleviate the burden of becoming an adult."

"So here's the deal. My dad did remarry. He has a stepdaughter (16) and a son (5) with his current wife."

"Eventually, I told him it wasn't going to be a big concern, and I told him about the money."

"He was like wtf, and then he told his wife, and they apparently went wtf together and told me that I could be gracious and split the money when I get it between the three of us, and give the other two a chance to have a decent helping hand with college."

"I told them I would not be sharing it because it was created by my family, not theirs. Dad's wife argued that it would be incredibly selfish to take such a large amount of money and blow it all on myself when I have two siblings who could also benefit in major ways from it."

"They are SO not happy with me. They told me that being selfish with this is not a good way to be. My dad is also pissed that he continued saving for me and dividing things equally between the three of us when I have so much I'll have access to in a few months. Am I the asshole?"

People rushed to the comments to weigh in, with user Artistic_Tough5005 writing: "Not the asshole. Their reaction is exactly why your mom set it up how she did!"

"She knew your dad and well enough to know the money would not be yours and used for children that are not hers."

"Not the asshole," user Outrageous_Shoe_1450 agreed. "For future reference, DON'T TELL ANYBODY ELSE ABOUT YOUR MONEY!"

"If it’s not already the case, open up a bank account at a different bank from the one your father uses," user lemon_charlie advised.

"No matter how you proceed, you need to protect the investment in your future your mother and grandparents have made because you know your father will want to access it."

"If Dad has put aside some money over the years and has, say, $50K in an account to pay for your college, I would see nothing wrong with shifting that $50K over to the other kids," user EnderBurger wrote, proposing a compromise.

"OP has half a million available, so OP's college is taken care of, and that $50K can be used to help the other kids."

Yikes. What do you think about this situation? Have you ever had a sticky situation involving inheritance money?

The smartest move for that kid is immediately filingn for emancipation and getting away from that toxic environment.

FPMFNI, as usual.  If we wanted to read reddit, we'd be there, not here.

Agree with pulling the eject handles.  Guess he's living with the grandparents for a few months.

Dad sure didn't waste any time grieving, making sure the 17 year old promptly had a 16 year old half sister.

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:46:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Inheritance brings out the worst in people. He should say, "Fuck no".

My wife's cousin is going through something similar. Cousin gets the house, her brothers split the Life Insurance. They found out the mother took a loan for $2,000 against her Life Insurance. LI company said they just needed to pay back the $2,000 for the policy to remain active (the mother is still alive, but not for much longer). The three brothers refused to cough up the $2,000 so the policy lapsed, so now they're demanding their sister sell the house and pay them each their share. I told her to tell them to get fucked. The mother is in her 90's with Alzheimers, being taken care of by the daughter, and they haven't lifted a finger to help.

We structured my son's inheritance so he gets $30,000/year until he's 32, then he gets the rest. My niece will be the executor so if there's an emergency she can give him more.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This. WTF is with the infiltration of this reddit garbage?
View Quote

IPO soon. Gotta push more people there.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:48:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:48:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Neat
View Quote

They get trained on what's expected of them before they're entrusted with it, chief.  They don't just get it dropped on them.

I agree some form of mandatory financial counseling/education would be advisable as a condition of receiving the money.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:48:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Retarded
And 500k isn't shit.
View Quote

When your 17 fucking years old?
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:50:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

For a 17 year old thats life changing money. But i forgot arf is full of billionaires.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Retarded
And 500k isn't shit.

For a 17 year old thats life changing money. But i forgot arf is full of billionaires.

It is and i bet you the above didn’t have 500k at 17.  I bet he doesn’t have 500k NOW.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:51:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I think there are people that make up this shit and post it on Reddit as reality. Sort of like Mr. Cleanforhire here in GD or on this particular Am I the A hole sub Reddit. It’s just a creative writing outlet. What’s even more unbelievable is these contrived soap operas get onto real news sites.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:51:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Are the GD billionaires here yet talking about how this kid is a poor and that’s not a lot of money for his age? Asking for a friend.
View Quote

They got here WAY before you did.

Y'know, 'cause they don't have to work.

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:51:41 PM EDT
[#23]
None of this ever happened.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:52:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Retarded
And 500k isn't shit.

This...

Buy a small house, a section 8 duplex, a cheap car, tools, and learn to handyman.  Because there's no mortgage, most of the rent can go to buying your next duplex. And if you stick to section 8 renters, money comes from the state so you always get paid.  Just budget to recarpet/repaint/renovate every time they eventually get evicted.  

I had a buddy that did this and owned a couple houses by the time he graduated... HIGH SCHOOL.  And more by the time he got out of college.  He didn't do any maintenance himself either.  He had a list of local handymen (usually drunks or people with records that couldn't hold down a 9-5 and needed the money) and paid them like $20-30/hr cash under the table to do reno work and repairs on his units.  He set up an LLC as the properties owner and fronted as the guy that just comes around to collect rent.  It was a phenomenal side hustle and he wouldn't have had to go to college or work a career if he hadn't wanted to.  The best story he had was one renter got sent to prison shortly after signing the 1yr lease but the Sec 8 money kept flowing for the whole year, so he basically just let the place sit vacant for a year and didn't have to fix anything before renting it back out again - pure profit.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:52:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Retarded
And 500k isn't shit.

no kidding

i  have a lot more than that -- but $500K would get my attention  
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:54:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

"If it's not already the case, open up a bank account at a different bank from the one your father uses," user lemon_charlie advised.

View Quote
While I understand their wtf, the dad should be happy his kid seems level headed about it.  It is the kids money and no one elses.  I hope he uses it wisely.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:55:20 PM EDT
[#27]
My grandfather's side of the family built most of West Los Angeles back in the day. Property everywhere worth a shit ton. He had married a hag and left the family fortune to her. My mom and uncles saw nothing when he passed. She even sold family heirlooms that were left to my my mom by my great grandmother that were brought over from the East Coast on a covered wagon on the California trail. Mainly fine China.

Oh well. He was an absent parent and grandfather. He wanted nothing to do with anyone. I only met him once. My other grandfather is my mentor and that's worth more than money.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:57:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

When he turns 18, and gets the money, he won't have to. He'll be a legal adult and can do whatever the fuck he wants.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:58:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Belongs to the kid, that's who it was saved for. Family is a bunch of assholes for even suggesting that he should spread it around, they should be happy for him.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:02:05 PM EDT
[#30]
What do some of you people have against sharing and generosity? This kid didn't work for it or do anything to earn his fortune, it's being given to him. If that was me I would absolutely share some of it with my immediate family. First thing I would do is take the family on a nice vacation, nice dinners and stuff like that. Buy everybody new clothes and shoes and help with whatever they need. After that I'd probably be reinvesting a lot of what's left. I agree with the parents that it would be selfish not to help, but if it's his money and he can choose selfishness or generosity, entirely up to him and if he has any character.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:02:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

We know that you can read reddit. We don't need to you to post this.

Site resources brah.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We know that you can read reddit. We don't need to you to post this.

Site resources brah.

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:03:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What do some of you people have against sharing and generosity? This kid didn't work for it or do anything to earn his fortune, it's being given to him. If that was me I would absolutely share some of it with my immediate family. First thing I would do is take the family on a nice vacation, nice dinners and stuff like that. Buy everybody new clothes and shoes and help with whatever they need. After that I'd probably be reinvesting a lot of what's left. I agree with the parents that it would be selfish not to help.
View Quote

Was waiting for a troll to show up.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:04:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:04:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
What do some of you people have against sharing and generosity? This kid didn't work for it or do anything to earn his fortune, it's being given to him. If that was me I would absolutely share some of it with my immediate family. First thing I would do is take the family on a nice vacation, nice dinners and stuff like that. Buy everybody new clothes and shoes and help with whatever they need. After that I'd probably be reinvesting a lot of what's left. I agree with the parents that it would be selfish not to help.
View Quote

That's fine if the kid decides to do that on his own,  it's his dough.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:05:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Treat it like lottery winnings, 20% gets shared the rest is yours alone.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:10:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Has he banged his stepsister yet? There some training videos on it I hear.
View Quote

That’s exactly what this is.    Blended family rage porn.  

“AI, give me a story where a soon to be 18 year old man, gets in an argument with his father over an inheritance from his father’s ex wife”

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:11:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Sounds like the kid is learning a lesson about keeping some information to yourself. Clearly the grandparents told him how the mother wanted it to be used and that request should be honored. He should have read between the lines and kept his mouth shut
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:13:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI. It’s been a few lately.

Or just a link to YouTube or a news article
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Hell no. I would pack my shit that second and wait it out somewhere else.

$500k cash is decent money and could be shit ton depending on where this is.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:18:03 PM EDT
[#40]
is his stepsister hot? It might matter
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:31:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

People here act like money isn’t a big deal as if everyone here has a lot of it. The reality is that Money is like air-itt gets Super Fucking Important when you don’t have any.

Yes, that’s a life changing amount of money, for just about anyone. It’s enough to get a great start in life by going out in the world with a paid off house and college degree.

That kind of money is Real. It would make just about anyone’s retirement and being meaningful change to any stage of life.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:32:01 PM EDT
[#42]
If I got $500,000 now, as someone in their 30s, it'd be a life-changer. I can't imagine how much it'd change a 17 year old's life. I may not have been super smart at that age but I was smart enough to make that last for decades.

$500k is easily more than the value of my house, cars, and all my possessions combined

While the story is almost certainly fake, and reposting Reddit is stupid, in this case the money would pretty definitively belong to the kid and the dad and stepmom can go fuck themselves for trying to coerce him into letting them steal it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:33:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Nope. If your blood, or the blood of my father doesn't course through your veins, then I just don't care that much about you....
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:34:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If I got $500,000 now, as someone in their 30s, it'd be a life-changer. I can't imagine how much it'd change a 17 year old's life. I may not have been super smart at that age but I was smart enough to make that last for decades.

$500k is easily more than the value of my house, cars, and all my possessions combined

While the story is almost certainly fake, and reposting Reddit is stupid, in this case the money would pretty definitively belong to the kid and the dad and stepmom can go fuck themselves for trying to coerce him into letting them steal it.
View Quote

You can't really "let" somebody steal something. By definition that would it not theft....
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Are these reddit stories written by AI?
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:36:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

When he turns 18, and gets the money, he won't have to. He'll be a legal adult and can do whatever the fuck he wants.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much fun is his homelife with Dad and the Steps- going to be when he says No, and that's final?  If he could scoot now and not be subject to his Dad's decisions, I'd agree, but he's still a minor.  Emancipation fixes that.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:37:33 PM EDT
[#47]
I believe it. Money makes people lose their minds. When my uncle died, his estranged kids and ex-wife he hadn't heard from in decades resurfaced and sued his wife to try to take of all his assets away from her.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:37:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

How much fun is his homelife with Dad and the Steps- going to be when he says No, and that's final?  If he could scoot now and not be subject to his Dad's decisions, I'd agree, but he's still a minor.  Emancipation fixes that.
View Quote

Or he could just say "sure thing dad, I'll contribute a reasonable share to them when I get the money." Then when he turns 18 and the check has cleared: "I changed my mind. Wanna see my new bass boat?"
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:40:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:40:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Retarded
And 500k isn't shit.
View Quote

You're full of it.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top