Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:07:39 AM EDT
[#1]
The only plus I can say for smoking is that it helps people manage stress.  Wish I could just suck on a cancer stick every time I get agitated at work...

Oh, almost forgot about the 15 smoke breaks a day that smokers get.  That's also a bonus, guess it's to make up for the likely short life expectancy.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:09:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Home of the “free”. Yeah, right.
Home of the ‘Nanny State’ more like it

These laws give carte blanc to government for micromanaging individual businesses.
Another law under the guise of ‘Public Safety’

Leave that right to the business
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:20:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Should be up to private businesses if they want to allow it or not

I don't want to smell your big diesel passenger  truck  so lets get the government involved to make them illegal
View Quote
This right here.

It was the smell of freedom. Private business should be able to allow it or not. Be it cig smoke or diesel smoke or the sound of your scary firearm they can hear from 2 miles away that they want stopped.

Freedom scares a minority of timid adults and we cave in to them everytime now. But for decades they were told to fuck off and or leave if they don't like it. They had their freedom we had ours.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:23:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:23:25 AM EDT
[#5]
It was a huge step towards a Nanny state run by Karens.  The "secondhand smoke kills 87 million Americans every 3 minutes" was bullshit from the git-go.  You could ask to be seated in the nonsmoking section or go to another restaurant.

Now when TV shows come on the trigger warnings say: Sexual violence, gore, illegal drug abuse, smoking.        Yea, smoking is equitable to sexual violence and gore.

I have smoked 2-3 cigarettes in my life and that was 50 years ago.  But if somebody wants to smoke IDGAF.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:27:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nope.

You want to stink up your house and car? More power to you. But I shouldn't have to be subjected to your stench.

View Quote

This.  Yes the country was better then, but it was unrelated to nasty indoor smoke.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:27:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:31:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

...Then we banned indoor smoking and we've lost every war since....

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:34:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Should private establishment be able to allow smoking on their premise?

If you don’t like it, simply don’t frequent that establishment.  

No one cares that you’re “sensitive to smoke”.  That’s your problem.
View Quote

The right to swing your fist ends at my nose.
As far as private businesses go, the free market doesn't always work as well as we fantasise that it does.

If it did, we'd still have leaded gasoline, lead paint, and asbestos everywhere. Sometimes the gov't stepping in on public health matters is warranted.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:35:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Even those places don't allow cigarettes.

That said the "dangers of second hand smoke" were ridiculously overblown.
View Quote

Tell that to thousands of non-smokers who died from lung cancer.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:40:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have a right to enter a private establishment?   The concept is simple.  A bar owner should be free to decide if he allows smoking in his bar or not and you are free to choose to enter said bar or not.  If people don't want to go to his bar because he allows smoking, he will change his rules or fold.  You both get to exercise your rights in this situation.  Seems you are a more "rights for me but not for thee" kind of guy.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 11:41:28 AM EDT
[#12]
My position on it may have recently changed after my wife inherited a bunch of MO stock.

Everyone should light up. The smell of money takes some of the stink off of it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You have a right to enter a private establishment?   The concept is simple.  A bar owner should be free to decide if he allows smoking in his bar or not and you are free to choose to enter said bar or not.  If people don't want to go to his bar because he allows smoking, he will change his rules or fold.  You both get to exercise your rights in this situation.  Seems you are a more "rights for me but not for thee" kind of guy.
View Quote

For a bar, sure!

What about airports? Restaurants? Post office? Courthouse? Doctor's office?
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:06:04 PM EDT
[#14]
My stance is that A/C in cars was what did smoking in. GenX got hotboxed all through childhood and pissed them off. Having to walk through the smoking section to get to the non-smoking section pissed them off. Everywhere that smelled like smoke pissed them off. The smoker "rights" and lack of courtesy pissed them off.
I really do like the idea if it's ok for someone to smoke, it's ok for someone to pee on the smoker. It's the same mentality.
Let's not forget all of the litter from smokers throwing out their cigarette butts and packaging.
I don't care what you do you in your home or in public as long as it doesn't infringe on others. Courtesy goes a long way, but that is lost on smokers.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:08:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't smoke and think cigarette smokes smells awful. I was glad when it got banned and I no longer had to be subjected to it when at bars and concert venues. That being said, I don't think the government should have intervened. It should have been left up to the establishment to determine whether or not and where they wanted to allow smoking.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#16]
In parks too. Playing little league baseball in the 80's where parents smoked. The wind carrying the scent into the outfield smelled like spring/summer fun. Ice cream trucks parked outside the field selling smoke bombs and stink bombs where we would have fun with parents exiting the field through small openings in the fence after games.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:10:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yes.  It was better. Except for the indoor smoking.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:13:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

For a bar, sure!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For a bar, sure!

Post office and court houses aren’t private enterprise.

The others, yes. They should determine if they want to allow smoking or not.

Fwiw, non smoker here and I hate the smell of it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:15:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I love walking into restaurants that were built before the 90’s and spotting what used to be the smoking section. My kids have no idea what it was.
View Quote

I loved getting on an airplane and requesting non-smoking. One flight 2nd class was full. I was put in 1st class next to a cute chick.

My mother died from cancer sticks. Lung cancer. The OP is a troll. Or retarded.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:25:54 PM EDT
[#20]
The non-smokers wanted a cake. Bake that cake you cigarette puffing bigot!!!
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:29:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Fuck smokers right in their cancer riddled asses.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:32:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Fuck smokers right in their cancer riddled asses.
View Quote

Well they are probably doing it wrong for the cancer to riddle their asses.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:33:47 PM EDT
[#23]
and on airplanes.  fight me.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:34:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I wonder how many here also advocated for forced masking during covid. Seems a little 2nd hand smoke is benign compared to the deadliest virus ever known to man.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#25]
OP Lets a Cigarette Kick His Ass
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:38:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
and on airplanes.  fight me.
View Quote

The world was a better place when you could smoke on airplanes and cars would kill you.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:39:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Correlation does not equal causation
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:39:09 PM EDT
[#28]
It was better in spite of, not because of, the indoor smoking.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:39:30 PM EDT
[#29]
No one is stopping you from pursuing your filthy addiction in your own home, car and airplane OP.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:42:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Have you ever wondered why you see "NASCAR" flags and not "NASA" flags in trailer parks?

Have you seen the kind of people that suck down darts nowadays?
View Quote

Yup, who's the poster with Alabama Woman as his avatar?
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:48:44 PM EDT
[#31]
When people could legally demand others act to suit themselves personally instead of just dealing with it really was, in some ways, the beginning of the end.

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 12:51:15 PM EDT
[#32]
I rarely see anyone smoke anymore. It’s usually some methed out trailer park slut rolling down the highway in a beat up car doing it when I do.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 1:30:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 1:32:16 PM EDT
[#34]
TL;DR

I’ve never been a smoker. But, when the no smoking rules started flying, it seemed to release the inner Karen in a whole lot of otherwise “tolerable” people.

I believe that success empowered a generation of Karen’s.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 1:35:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Most of the smokers I see now are lower class whites or minorities.

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 1:42:42 PM EDT
[#36]
The only people I know who still smoke are low IQ and or poor people.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 1:45:56 PM EDT
[#37]
As long as I'm allowed to chew Copenhagen and spit into someone's mouth, I'm fine with breathing in their second hand smoke.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 2:37:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Yes.  It was better. Except for the indoor smoking.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 2:39:16 PM EDT
[#39]
OP is 100% correct.  I'm not sure there is any significant correlation, but it's true.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 3:28:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Geezer here (68). Personally, I am ambivalent about the subject. I can remember in the late 1970s when (if memory serves) No Smoking areas first became widespread. Mainly in public transportation and restaurants. I was in college, my early-mid 20s, non-smoker. I used to find myself sitting in the Smoking section of trains and restaurants because I didn't want to look self-righteous. Eventually I got over it and moved to non-smoking retail areas.

I'll smoke 1-2 cigars a year but always outside, wouldn't even consider subjecting anyone to the smoke. With smokers, I always enjoy the initial smell of a freshly lit cigarette outside. Around 2019 I happened to be out of state and went into a rural bar/restaurant with friends. The place had a grandfathered smoking section and DAMN, the combination of beer and cigarette smoke smelled GREAT! It brought back wonderful memories of my teenage years, playing with my band in bars.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 4:08:59 PM EDT
[#41]
It was better. It’s a double standard, because now some places are totally cool with or don’t do anything about obnoxious weed smoke. And you’re a racist if you don’t like the smell of weed. It should be up to the business if they allow smoking or not. Back then most adults smoked so it was just a part of society.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Your gun fire offends me lets close the ranges
View Quote

Jeez, bars didn't close because smoking inside was prohibited. I was about done with bars when the prohibition came in. You could always stay away form the range too. Geez, some logic there.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 4:31:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

As far as private businesses go, the free market doesn't always work as well as we fantasise that it does.

If it did, we'd still have leaded gasoline, lead paint, and asbestos everywhere. Sometimes the gov't stepping in on public health matters is warranted.
View Quote

Not getting your way is no excuse for forcibly interfering in the voluntary associations between individuals.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 4:34:22 PM EDT
[#44]
It’s sad that all the smokers are dead and gone now.

I remember when you would still see one occasionally.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 5:13:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Yep, became a country filled with pussified karens, like this thread.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 5:19:56 PM EDT
[#46]
anyone else experience this as kids?

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 5:39:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

For a bar, sure!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For a bar, sure!

Same deal.  Rights to self determine are across the board.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 5:44:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It definitively was.

Why do you hate freedom?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Geezers have ruined it with their pearl clutching.

No, it wasn't better when smoking was allowed. It is like tear gas and the whole place stank.

Smoke whatever you want. Just don't inflict it on others.

It definitively was.

Why do you hate freedom?

I love freedom, especially being free of your second hand smoke.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 5:53:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Geezers have ruined it with their pearl clutching.
View Quote

It was better for you and your fellow addicts. Others not so much. First of all it stinks. Being around smokers makes non smokers smell bad too. Then there are the health problems like cancer, emphysema and COPD. God help you if you already have asthma and live in a smoking household.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So ban smoking except on private property. No smoking:

Parks
Driving on roads
Sidewalks
Within 10,000 feet of a school
Public land
Within 60,000 feet of kids
As a condition of employment
Under the age of 87

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top