Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 8:07:20 PM EDT
[#1]
In many remote locations in years gone by a Midwife's real job was not just to deliver the child, it was the ability to instantly establish the "viability" of the newborn. If it didn't pass her assessment it would be seen as a very common still born or died at birth from 'complications". Life was tough on the frontier.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 8:31:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depressing.  I wanted to strangle the film maker.  Quit asking people who bark complex questions.  The others were completely non-communicative, but that didn't stop dumb ass from asking more questions.
View Quote

Yup. Not only that, but he sounded kinda fucking condescending towards them.
What a dick.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 8:39:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
"You go to where the men play banjo music, then continue on until they play something else......"
View Quote

I see what you did there
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 8:41:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Or Bethel CT
View Quote

LOL is Bethel that bad??????
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Meh
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 8:49:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

My wife's friend is from Hattiesburg. She said they called them people "9 hairs", I guess they have really thin hair or something.
There's a really rural county adjacent to mine, it has some really remote places considering it's in Central Texas. There are some stories about those areas.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We have pockets of this where we live, out in the sticks.   There is even  a local name for them.  "Flounder Heads"  (Flounders have both eyes on one side of their head).

There is one family in particular we used to have to deal with a lot, last name "Bang".  Lots of inbreeding and kids given names were "Squirrel", "Rabbit" "Deer"  "Duck" and other names of animals.

They made their living through larceny, mostly boat motors and stuff, and really were so dumb you couldn't even make them understand that what they were doing was wrong.  

I interviewed a brother and sister once, 15 and 16, who were from a family like that, and who were having sex with each other, with a social worker.   They didn't see anything wrong with it, and it was pretty obvious that nothing we said to them was going to change their minds.

Another family, we locked the father up for having sex with  his underage daughters.   We found out that one of them went to the prison and had a conjugal visit with him by pretending to be the wife.

I've seen as bad as that video, plenty of times.

My wife's friend is from Hattiesburg. She said they called them people "9 hairs", I guess they have really thin hair or something.
There's a really rural county adjacent to mine, it has some really remote places considering it's in Central Texas. There are some stories about those areas.

@BillythePoet

I live about an hour south of Hattiesburg.  While there are some rural areas where you kinda go ... "hmmm... that ain't right," the worst case that I've seen was in Louisiana not far from me.

I can't go into too many specifics due to my job, but there was a family that moved up from the Atchafalaya basin after Katrina.

The highlights were:

Severe mental deficiencies in the parents and the children.

No father was ever seen. They may have killed him. Or he ran off after seeing what he had created.

Animal torture.  As in killing animals for the sake of inflicting pain. And killing other peoples dogs.  A daughter got bit by a neighbors dog and she pulled its teeth-- while it was alive.

Incest.  As in the brothers having sex with the sisters.  With the full knowledge of the mother.

"Black magic"/Voodoo

Constant nudity outdoors at their home.

The SmellTM

Link Posted: 7/18/2020 8:57:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I wonder why no one ever makes shows about black families like that.
View Quote

they do , it's live PD Chicago southside
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 8:58:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

He kept picking at the open wounds......could tell the older folks were getting annoyed.

I would have been a bit nervous with Timmy over there digging under the couch and playing with the shovel.......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Depressing.  I wanted to strangle the film maker.  Quit asking people who bark complex questions.  The others were completely non-communicative, but that didn't stop dumb ass from asking more questions.

He kept picking at the open wounds......could tell the older folks were getting annoyed.

I would have been a bit nervous with Timmy over there digging under the couch and playing with the shovel.......

" Quit asking people who bark complex questions."  
How did I miss this part when I quoted you?!
And yeah, Timmy looked like he was just waiting to get the nod from one of the chics to brain that asshole.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 9:02:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I drove thru WV a few weeks ago.  Spent a week in the mountains of TN/NC.  Its bad here but nothing like there.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 9:03:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How do you affectively interview a family that grunts and barks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That guy is the worst interviewer I’ve ever heard.

How do you affectively interview a family that grunts and barks

With treats!!
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 9:16:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I thought the Whites were inbred.   Really sad.  W. VA is certainly the unique state.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 9:19:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How does a West Virginia mom know her daughter is on the rag...

Her sons dick tastes funny.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 9:26:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Every once in a while we'd run into a bunch of backwoods country fucks like that while dirt biking in Kentucky.  One time there was a bunch of them hanging around a gas station out in the middle of nowhere.  We gassed up and got the hell out of there as quickly as we could.
View Quote

That’s impossible. Everyone knows that Ohio and Michigan drivers camp out in the passing lanes of I-75 north.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#14]
We've got some areas around here the the sheriffs refuse to go to. We it gets real bad the state patrol will go in with plenty of back up.
some of these people have slightly more language skills than Ray, but you still can't understand what they're saying. It's sad to think in this day thre are still areas like this all over.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 9:33:17 PM EDT
[#15]
What do you think the two males IQ’s are hovering at?
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 9:35:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I worked in the Taft, CA oilfields during college. There were a couple little towns on the drive over that were rumored to have that stuff going on. I never stopped to check
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 9:36:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What do you think the two males IQ’s are hovering at?
View Quote

Combined, 110ish
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 9:44:01 PM EDT
[#18]
A lot like East Toledo...
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 9:46:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah I couldn’t help but think “leave them alone already you asshat”. It was also abundantly clear his brother was buried over yonder way before douche canoe realized it
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 9:46:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Family portrait.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/18/2020 9:52:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I came her for the wise-cracks but after watching that video, I just feel so sorry for those poor people who never stood a chance in life.

Poor dude can only bark. Wtf. I would hope someone would shoot me if I was that poor off.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 9:53:36 PM EDT
[#22]
LOL nvm
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 9:53:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Ho Lee Fuk
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 10:24:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 10:26:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 10:28:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There is a large family near where I live in the ramapo mountains on the NY/NJ border called the "Jackson Whites" They are a mix of white, indian and black and have pretty much been only breeding with each other form the 1700's. They killed 2 ramapo cops decades ago, made a movie and HBO documentary about them. Scary folks they are.
View Quote

Yep, I've only seen them once, gotta be over 25yrs ago down near Sloatsburg. Definitely off-looking individuals. One kind of looked like an albino. We must be neighbors.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 10:31:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Says the guy from GA.......

You know where deliverance was filmed, dontcha?
View Quote

Ha! I do, I am also an Alabama native so I know some secrets
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 10:46:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I worked in the Taft, CA oilfields during college. There were a couple little towns on the drive over that were rumored to have that stuff going on. I never stopped to check
View Quote

Arvin?
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 10:48:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 10:48:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Him showing the grave at the end was kinda scary. Fucking unreal living situation
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 10:50:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

@BillythePoet

I live about an hour south of Hattiesburg.  While there are some rural areas where you kinda go ... "hmmm... that ain't right," the worst case that I've seen was in Louisiana not far from me.

I can't go into too many specifics due to my job, but there was a family that moved up from the Atchafalaya basin after Katrina.

The highlights were:

Severe mental deficiencies in the parents and the children.

No father was ever seen. They may have killed him. Or he ran off after seeing what he had created.

Animal torture.  As in killing animals for the sake of inflicting pain. And killing other peoples dogs.  A daughter got bit by a neighbors dog and she pulled its teeth-- while it was alive.

Incest.  As in the brothers having sex with the sisters.  With the full knowledge of the mother.

"Black magic"/Voodoo

Constant nudity outdoors at their home.

The SmellTM

View Quote

There is/was a black woman in town that seemed mildly retarded and was nearly unintelligible. Just to be clear, it wasn't uncommon to encounter older black folks with a really thick patois, but she was about the worst I'd heard. She would make a daily pilgrimage to each convenience store in town, buying lottery tickets. Her two adult sons were always trailing behind her. Both were severely retarded and I often wondered if they were products of incest.

A nearby town had a couple of white sisters that were both mildly retarded/slow and were always pregnant. No basic hygiene and often walked around their tiny town in panties and bra in the summer. I'm pretty sure they had daddy grandpa husbands.

It's funny how everyone sees this shit and just kinda nopes on by. Kinda helps me understand why you can have shit like the "Colt" clan in Australia, without authorities getting involved.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:19:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Its worse than that, the liberal doing the photos and film is doing it to show the other “elites” that they’re right about how bad flyover country is and how much they’re needed to be paternalistic to them.
View Quote

Actually, no. Butthurt, much?

That guy’s channel has some really interesting interviews
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:32:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Arvin?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Arvin?

Can't remember, but there were supposed to be a lot of deformed people there. Oversized heads and stuff.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 5:20:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Odd, WV- Because "Holy Fucknuggets, What In  God's Name Did I Just See, Screw This, Turn This Rig Around And Burn Frickin' Rubber Until We Find A Wal-Mart, And Maybe Throw Food And Shiny Stuff Out The Car Window To Distract Them If They Start To Chase Us, WV" makes for a really long sign that nobody in the town can read in the first place.

Fifteen seconds in, I was hoping the interviewer would be rescuing the dogs.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:11:30 AM EDT
[#35]
I live about and hour and a half away from Odd and had heard legends of the Whittaker family for years. They used to get picked on by local kids a lot. My friend from the area said at one point someone set their house on fire. After that, they started shooting at cars that drove by.

They are a pretty unique case, even in WV, though. Enough of a rarity that they are they only inbred family like that I’ve ever heard of and they were known state wide. Kind of like the deep, dark hollers where you might get disappeared. There are lots of legends, but I’ve only ever heard of two places where you legitimately might get shot at for driving and they were well known. And in both cases  (one being the Whittaker’s) it’s retarded/crazy people shooting shotguns because they have a history of being harassed.

The White family, on the other hand, have a unique story but there are a lots of people that would fit in with them here.

Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:15:44 AM EDT
[#36]
How sad.  ‘Ol Ray looks like he had the most to say...
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:17:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I'd bet they're probably "happier" than many posting here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I came her for the wise-cracks but after watching that video, I just feel so sorry for those poor people who never stood a chance in life.

Poor dude can only bark. Wtf. I would hope someone would shoot me if I was that poor off.

I'd bet they're probably "happier" than many posting here.

It's a pretty well known phenomena that stupid people are usually happier.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:33:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:40:21 AM EDT
[#39]
This thread seems to have some sort of gawk at the freak show mentality. Maybe it's some attempt to feel like the normal one.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:50:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
After that I am now ok with being called a "damned yankee".  Jfc you southerners are fucked.....
View Quote

Is WV part of the south? I dont consider it to be. Virginia either. I've never seen any shit like that around here.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:52:52 AM EDT
[#41]
About 30 years ago I worked on a Bruce Hardwood floor factory being built in Beverly, WV.   There was a guy working there that had a huge head and his eyes were spaced way too far apart. He talked like a baby all the time. All he did was push a broom and pick up trash/junk on the jobsite.   This video reminded me of him.

Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:56:14 AM EDT
[#42]
@gaspain WTF
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 9:03:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It’s not in the series library anymore. I think it aired just once.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The first thought that came to mind.

When that episode first aired a freind of mine was telling me about it, and I was like no fucking way they had something THAT fucked up on tv.  I watched it later and felt dirty for having seen it.

It’s not in the series library anymore. I think it aired just once.

I just watched it on Hulu a month ago
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 9:29:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Hey!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thought that was Dayton Ohio for a minute.

Hey!!!

There are parts of town where he wouldn’t be wrong......post war industry brought Appalachia into the region in force. There are pockets between dayton and cincinnati where the accents are so strong you would think your in eastern Kentucky
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 10:16:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Are these people so fucked up they eat their dead ?

If not, what do they do with the bodies, put them in the front yard or something ?
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 10:17:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Hollers be Hollers. Last name’s the same...
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 10:22:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
WTF?!
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/19/2020 10:26:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Check out the dude shot point blank in the face with a shotgun.  Thanks OP for taking the wife and I down a crazy rabbit hole of weirdness this morning.  This poor dude here - stepped off a bus and took one to the face.

Shooting Victim interview-Jerry
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 11:19:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I saw a documentary on that.  Two of the brothers never spoke and had the same first name.
View Quote

Lel
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 11:48:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Terribly sad.  

But thanks for sharing OP.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top