Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:15:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Me and my friends fucked up a ton of wooden fences, aluminum siding, a few tires, cut some phone and cable lines, with mail order ninja stars.

We even put some holes in each other with the ones that bounced.

The 80's were the fucking best time to grow up!!

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Always was funny seeing those tiny ninja stars doing so much damage in the movies, now if they made them 12 inches across and they weighed a half a pound that might work
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Years ago, I worked at a place that bought its first laser cutter.

The owner's very first order of business was to make a gazillion of those and give them to all the employees.  For months and months the maintenance guys had to go up on a scissor lift and remove them from the insulation in the ceiling.  

I sure loved working there… The owner had a reloading press in his office and would routinely walk down the hallways with AR parts.

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:25:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I stick you in the eye with one then throw one of those exploding smoke ball dealies to disappear and it's like "wtf just happened, why am I half blind?"  Now I am in the shadows stalking your other eye.  Silly indeed..
View Quote
Not to self: add smoke ball dealies and ninja stars to battle belt.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:27:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Manriki gusari is way dumber. It's a short sword or axe like hand weapon with a chain on the shaft. You're supposed to throw the chain around your enemy, tangling him up, then poke him with the sword end
View Quote

Sounds like a lot of work

When I was in high school, a buddy of mine had a homemade thing, it was a short baseball bat with the top few inches cut off, with a circular saw blade bolted to the top.  Fun times.  I still have a scar on my knee
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:27:40 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Always was funny seeing those tiny ninja stars doing so much damage in the movies, now if they made them 12 inches across and they weighed a half a pound that might work

https://media.giphy.com/media/MRFvqtcqBzTggaGp5V/giphy.gif
We saw that movie in the theater when it came out.

I swear to God that Marty Mandall was there in the audience.

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:31:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Back before antibiotics, a poopoo tipped throwing star could ruin your day.

View Quote

Wrong. Every single time a recipient if an expertly thrown ninjy star is hit, they die immediately. None of that slow two weeks of gangrene-death stuff.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:40:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, but when you are 16, they are as fun as all get out.  I've still got mine in a box at my parents house.  I need to get them.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:43:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The only thing dumber than Asian martial arts weapons are the people who genuinely think they're valid weapons and better for fighting than guns and ordinary knives.
View Quote

You got to admit the modern metal swords are pretty good though against an ordinary knife
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
File Shuriken next to Caltrops or The crude smoke/flash bombs that were used by the historical Ninja. They were used to cover their escape or as a distraction during combat.

Ninja also did not wear black uniforms that scream “I am a ninja!”. Disguise and stealth were the mainstay, not dead giveaways.
View Quote

I see that you are well versed in the ways of the Ninja, and no stranger to the ancient sacred methods.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 6:12:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I made my own grappling hook...

It broke...

So did my tailbone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a throwing knife when I was a kid, it was always cool to stick it into a tree. :D
Never did get a grappling hook though.

It broke...

So did my tailbone.

I can see you were 12 once, too.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 6:14:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a throwing knife when I was a kid, it was always cool to stick it into a tree. :D
Never did get a grappling hook though.

It broke...

So did my tailbone.

I learned the hard way as well.

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 6:17:24 PM EDT
[#14]
 I've still got mine in a box at my parents house.  
View Quote

I couldn't find the whole pile, but I bet I could find enough of them from my youth as well,
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 6:18:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I think Kelly Hu needs her own thread. Someone get on it.

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 6:20:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I see that you are well versed in the ways of the Ninja, and no stranger to the ancient sacred methods.
View Quote

I know ninjits-poo, the sacred art of stealth flatulence that is silent..but deadly.

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 6:30:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Throwing stars are awesome!

Millions of 11-year-old boys cannot be wrong!
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 6:31:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I think Kelly Hu needs her own thread. Someone get on it.

View Quote

Finally, wisdom prevails, sees at path through veiling smoke cast by the ninja.

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 6:41:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Taking a break from things political today. I get one local affiliate channel on rabbit ears. Old rerun of Martial Law is on. Fat Sammo and his lovely subordinate, Kelly Hu, are in life or death physical combat with a team of murderous ninja assasins. One ninjy breaks out the "deadly" throwing stars. Luckily for the lovely lady cop, a criminal, who is in love with her, throws himself in the path of the sailing star. Saves her from being the recipient.

OK, I've seen these stupid thing used in about every martial art movie since the Bluce Ree days. Little two ounce pointy things that might penetrate one 1/2".

"But, but real ninjy masters carried poisoned stars!"

Yeah, the ninjas practiced since childhood with cyanide tipped, razor sharp throwing stars? OK.

This thread will suck without a pic of the lovely lady saved in this episode.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/413035/6M19S9M_jpg-1771776.JPG
View Quote

I forgot all about that show. It was pretty fun and she was hot.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 6:48:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I feel that way about most of the throwing knives on the market too, there are some with real weight, but not most.

Now the cold steel torpedo will fuck someone up! I have one of those mean bastards, 12" long and 2lbs of steel! If ya hit'em with one of the pointy ends, that's just a bonus!
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 6:48:58 PM EDT
[#21]
I think every old country had its own version of Ninjas but Japan’s were the worst! That’s why we know so much about them
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 6:49:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

When I was a kid my old man neighbor made me a a chucking star from a skill saw blade.  

He weighted and balanced it.   It was the size of a frisbee.

I lost it to another old man, he thought it was "dangerous" after I stuck a squirrel to a tree with it.  He called the cops and we took off.  It was in a city park after all
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 6:52:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

When I was a kid my old man neighbor made me a a chucking star from a skill saw blade.  

He weighted and balanced it.   It was the size of a frisbee.

I lost it to another old man, he thought it was "dangerous" after I stuck a squirrel to a tree with it.  He called the cops and we took off.  It was in a city park after all
View Quote

My problem was a slingshot, took me months to work that broken window offi got caught
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 6:53:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think every old country had its own version of Ninjas but Japan’s were the worst! That’s why we know so much about them
View Quote

LMAO!
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 6:57:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

It was a long time ago, in the slums of Shaolin, but you kill my sister and rape my brother.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

My problem was a slingshot, took me months to work that broken window offi got caught
View Quote

Thank god there were not many people taping then!  I'd probably be labeled as a terrorist
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 7:04:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Throwing stars aside...time to discuss what a talented actress Ms Hu is. Quick Googling reveals she not only played a cop with expert martial arts skillz, but expanded her abilities to play a Mesopotamian princess.  Oscar worthy performace, i figure. I need to research this film.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 7:20:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 7:20:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Because they’re for distraction, not actual weapons.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 7:21:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 7:23:00 PM EDT
[#31]
I was gonna post wondering if I beat Aimless to a ninja thread......scroll two posts ....nope

Pics of your throwing stars Aimless ! We all know you have some . Probably from Walmart in a budget pack with that tomahawk or axe or whatever

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 7:31:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Numerous documentaries about the shadow warriors of ancient Japan clearly show the deadliness of the Ninja throwing star.

Stop being foolish OP.

Also, Kelly Hu is 52 now, but still pretty easy on the eyes

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 7:34:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Dude,
Attachment Attached File

Dude.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 7:37:06 PM EDT
[#34]
I got hit by one at point blank range in the knee.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#36]
I always considered them a more reliable throwing knife.

Someone brought up Asian martial arts, you folks should really check out the HEMA guys. The knights were no slouches in the martial combat arena, and not just aimlessly bashing each other with pointy metal.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 7:53:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Yeah, even if you were to get a hit the wound would only be an inch deep at best.  Certainly not a fatal wound.  Does seem dumb now that you mention it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 7:59:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:00:20 PM EDT
[#39]
It’s easy to see that most of you never achieved a high level of skill with throwing stars. They are accurate, compact, silent, and deadly when wielded by a trained professional.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:00:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:01:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Lady in OPs post is hot.
Thats a I gotta say about that.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:05:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Many folks forget that when the ninja started using various throwing weapons, there wasn't any tetanus vaccine, or antibiotics, so a wound from a nasty, rusty weapon that punctured you may not be immediately fatal, but waiting for tetanus or some nasty infection to turn gangrenous would sure make most folks worry.    

And if 5-10 of your fellow samurai died from tetanus, gangrene or some similar malady after what everyone at first thought was a minor stab wound, would get your attention.  And we haven't even discussed various poisons that could be used.

Yes, the nonsense in movies where a throwing star knocks someone off their feet and kills them is silly, but 500 years ago, those weapons really were a serious consideration.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:06:44 PM EDT
[#43]
I saw throwing stars in action as a teenager a couple of times.  You couldn't help but laugh after you recovered from the shock.  They can be thrown really hard if you practice, but a heavy denim jacket works pretty well as body armor.  They don't really cut or stick too well if your opponent is wearing heavy clothes.  They will do a little damage with a t-shirt, but you had best be faster or tougher than you threw it at.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:12:43 PM EDT
[#44]
I remember reading in some magazine about the ROK soldiers using throwing stars. The ones they had were welded sharpened railroad spikes. I think it was in soldier of fortune magazine..lol
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:16:02 PM EDT
[#45]
They was fun to use as a kid.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:20:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Tell that to this guy.  Oh, that's right, you can't because he's fucking dead.

https://i.imgur.com/VpHKn5C.gif
View Quote

I like you
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#47]
As kids we could source them so we used to throw saw blades into a Live Oak in the backyard
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:43:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I got hit by one at point blank range in the knee.
View Quote

Self inflicted?  At a pre-teen age I had my foot pinned to the ground with a lawn dart.  I released a little late on an overhand throw.  Straight down into my foot.  My friend had to go get my dad to free me.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:02:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:03:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

That’s why I always keep a circular saw blade tucked into my waistband.
View Quote

It will kill
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top