Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 10:38:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 10:38:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Ok. So he went in wanting to die. Got it. Case is closed.

ETA: you also don't know if he wasn't prescribed in another country by a physician there. Again, he probably didn't know about the drug interactions.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 10:41:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
@NavyDoc1 This is something I've learned over the past year or so. That combo right there is what seems to kill most people - not the prescription opiates alone. It seems like just about every time you really look into it, they're also taking prescribed benzos.

Really sad. I'm not a doctor, so I'll ask you - is this something doctors should be really thinking carefully about? As in, should this prescribed combo be extremely rare to non-existent?
View Quote
Maybe he was a Doctor shopper
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 10:47:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Damn, that's some bad shit he mixed.
Accident, suuuuuuuuuurrre it was.
View Quote
I could be wrong but I doubt that it was suicide if that's what you're thinking.

I think he (and his doc if this was all prescribed) had just worked himself up to a dose where the difference between "works/feels good" and "dead" was very narrow.  In the end, that "therapeutic window" closed to zero.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 10:47:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah, considering he didn't get that acetylfentenyl from any doctor.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 10:48:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh yeah.  Missed that one.  Definitely not prescribed.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 10:50:20 PM EDT
[#7]
ZFG

...what he loved.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 10:51:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
ZFG

...what he loved.
View Quote
Well thanks a pants load for dropping by to tell us that.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 10:52:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I wonder how many of those drugs ol Tom had a legit prescription for and which ones were 'acquired.'
I've only seen Fentanyl patches on old folks and cancer patients.
Junkies like to chew on them, I've pulled them out of code patients' mouths a few times over the years.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 10:52:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That's a shame.  I have fond memories of seeing him live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TDdKeb_94Q
View Quote
Yes.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 10:53:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The ironic thing is that everyone says that during the heyday of the Heartbreakers in the 70s and 80s he was as clean as a whistle with respect to drugs.  Didn't pick up the habit until sometime in the 1990s when he went through a divorce.
View Quote
That'll do it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 10:55:21 PM EDT
[#12]
He knew more about drugs than most MDs. I don't blame the drugs, he knew exactly what he was doing.
He lived, hard, fast and was rock and rolling to the end. He killed himself.
RIP Mr Petty.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 10:56:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hmmmm!  I never got the “accidental” part of an overdose figured out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What constitutes a "Massive" accidentally drug OD?
Accidental prescription opioid overdoses usually occur with people who have a ton of prescriptions and a whole lot of pain.

They get a fentanyl patch that is a long term timed release drug.  As the term gets toward the end of a release cycle, the patient starts to feel pain.  They have a bunch of pain relievers, heavy duty stuff, so they take a prescribed dose.

So now they have a heavy load  of other opioids on board and their fentanyl patch dumps a dose.

Goodnight Gracie.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 10:59:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Who the fuck takes fentanyl and oxy for emphysema? Isn't that a little overkill?
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 11:03:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Story
View Quote
Drugs are good, yo!
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 11:04:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

well like i already posted, sounds like a misuse of legal prescription drugs. if you are implying street drugs, in todays world aint nobody got the details worked and and it aint happening. as long as dealers get fentanyl and carfentanyl and add that crap to everything including fake vicodin, percoset, powder (heroin) and even cocaine, you buy powder of pills off the street you are playing russian roulette. down here in ga they had 3 farily well off folks kick off one weekend each at home when they snorted what they thought was coke, but it was either coke cut with fentanyl or fentanyl doctored to look like coke. then there are the folks getting what they think are vicodin tabs and its fake with fentanyl and they are drt.

and i dont see how this shit is gonna stop. carfentanyl is so potent you could probably smuggle enough in a thousand ways to make money.
View Quote
Not to nitpick, but when you're using prescription drugs to get high, there's no way to work out the details there either. It's not like some doctor is going to sit you down and say, "So Tom, if what we have you on isn't getting you high enough, chew on another half patch of fentanyl and take another oxy 20 before bed. See you next month."
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 11:04:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Fentanyl too I think, possible suicide.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What about the Cranberries singer?
But it was sudden
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 11:12:15 PM EDT
[#18]
life can be really hard,  hope he found his peace
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 11:12:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
But it was sudden
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What about the Cranberries singer?
But it was sudden
So they say
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 11:59:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I wonder how many of those drugs ol Tom had a legit prescription for and which ones were 'acquired.'
I've only seen Fentanyl patches on old folks and cancer patients.
Junkies like to chew on them, I've pulled them out of code patients' mouths a few times over the years.
View Quote
Spend more time with post-op patients for whom dilaudid in a PCA might as well be saline.  After a day of agony and delusions they slapped a fentanyl patch on me, put me back on morphine, and thank god for it.  Last thing I remembered after they switched me was being very apologetic to everyone in the room but that I was very tired and then finally being able to sleep.

It sucks to lose anyone to abuse of these drugs, but they have a legitimate use and some people really need them.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 12:59:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Down he goes for all the wrong reasons.

Between this and Chris Cornell, f$$$ 2017.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 1:04:05 AM EDT
[#22]
No cares.Play dumb,die dumb
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 1:05:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wow, that's really weird.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like to expand on that?
He was talking about his life and career and band mates as though it was past tense... like he was already gone. It was all very positive and one of the best shows I’ve ever seen...  But he spent at least 5 minutes per band member explaining his relationship with them, how they met, etc... they were the words of a very appreciative, dying man who had nothing else to prove.  I’ll cherish that show forever as I knew it was his goodbye.
Wow, that's really weird.
It was supposed to be his final farewell tour, after which he would retire and enjoy and his family and grandchild (children?), so his extended recognition and appreciation towards his bandmates would not have seemed out of place, considering.

It is a shame if he did "accidentally" OD when he did that he did not want even a bit of his final days to be spent with his family and grandchildren. Sad for them, knowing all Dad/Grandpa's talk of looking forward to being able to spend time with the family off the road once he retired for good was just so much talk, and the drugs would win so quickly. What a shame.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 1:07:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Now only if his music was actually good.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 1:07:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Story
View Quote
See OP? Was it really that hard?

Link Posted: 1/20/2018 1:10:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Rock n Roll
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 1:12:29 AM EDT
[#27]
One of the very few musicians I wish I could have seen live.

Despite the drugs and all.

Just cause.

80's
90's

Music.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 1:28:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Accidental prescription opioid overdoses usually occur with people who have a ton of prescriptions and a whole lot of pain.

They get a fentanyl patch that is a long term timed release drug.  As the term gets toward the end of a release cycle, the patient starts to feel pain.  They have a bunch of pain relievers, heavy duty stuff, so they take a prescribed dose.

You are never supposed to mix any other opioid and fentanyl.

So now they have a heavy load  of other opioids on board and their fentanyl patch dumps a dose.

Goodnight Gracie.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are never supposed to mix any other opioid and fentanyl.

Goodnight Gracie.
You're incorrect. People are sometimes prescribed breakthrough meds while on a fentanyl patch. Morphine pills, Vicodin ect.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 1:34:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Damnit

TMZ just reported it.

It usually takes MSM a little bit to catch up.
View Quote
There's a shocker.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 1:35:29 AM EDT
[#30]
The question is not, how did Tom Petty die, but rather, how in the fuck did he live that long?

That's enough shit to sit 6 elephants on their fucking asses.

Here's your sign, Tommy!!
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 1:39:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The ironic thing is that everyone says that during the heyday of the Heartbreakers in the 70s and 80s he was as clean as a whistle with respect to drugs.  Didn't pick up the habit until sometime in the 1990s when he went through a divorce.
View Quote
Ya right
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 1:41:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
He was talking about his life and career and band mates as though it was past tense... like he was already gone. It was all very positive and one of the best shows I've ever seen...  But he spent at least 5 minutes per band member explaining his relationship with them, how they met, etc... they were the words of a very appreciative, dying man who had nothing else to prove.  I'll cherish that show forever as I knew it was his goodbye.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like to expand on that?
He was talking about his life and career and band mates as though it was past tense... like he was already gone. It was all very positive and one of the best shows I've ever seen...  But he spent at least 5 minutes per band member explaining his relationship with them, how they met, etc... they were the words of a very appreciative, dying man who had nothing else to prove.  I'll cherish that show forever as I knew it was his goodbye.
Can you post the day/venue of the show so we can see if it's on Youtube?
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 1:46:01 AM EDT
[#33]
I love TP regardless.

Still just as sorry he is gone.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 1:56:21 AM EDT
[#34]
I've been in drug houses in East Cleveland were the big time dealers (The walking talking exigent circumstance mortherfuckers) would have a prepacked bags ready to go called the HDC (HEAVY DUTY CONCOCTION). Heroin, Dilaudid, Cocaine, mixed into I believed an $80 bag. They'd even wrapped a fresh clean rig (needle) around  the bag with a tourniquet  holding everything together so you had everything to need to find a Wendy's bathroom and make it their problem.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 1:57:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
1 bug dose, or a potentially interactive or cumulative cocktail of several, the latter of which seem to have been his mode of departure.

Sad to learn he had so many medical issues, but time, bad moves, & bad luck are another kind of toxic cocktail.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 2:07:57 AM EDT
[#36]
I miss him.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 2:27:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 2:29:28 AM EDT
[#38]
"Accidental?"

Do we have "Accidental" DUI's where the drunks "Accidentally" drink the fuckin' liquor?

And how does that differ exactly from the intentional and deliberate use of drugs?

I liked the guy's music for sure.  Very gifted artist.

However he will go down in my book as another fucking shithead.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 4:03:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Very sad. I like his music. I almost overdosed just reading that list of shit he was on.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 4:34:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Good Lord, he was taking all that? He was the walking dead and his brain just caught up.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 4:38:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Spend more time with post-op patients for whom dilaudid in a PCA might as well be saline.  After a day of agony and delusions they slapped a fentanyl patch on me, put me back on morphine, and thank god for it.  Last thing I remembered after they switched me was being very apologetic to everyone in the room but that I was very tired and then finally being able to sleep.

It sucks to lose anyone to abuse of these drugs, but they have a legitimate use and some people really need them.
View Quote
Quick back ground, I have a neurological condition that makes things that would hurt a "normal" person painless for me (breaking bones for example is a walk in the park for me). At times though things that hurt a "normal" person can because absolutely terrible for me.

When I had back surgery it was one of those times where it "shouldn't" be that bad, but even as they were pumping me full of dilaudid I was ready for death. Out patent surgery turned into 3 days in the hospital to get my pain under control. From what i remember we never did fentanyl though because i was also taking muscle relaxers and using valium as a muscle relaxer/to keep me calm. Could be wrong though, those few days are pretty fussy.

so i absolutely agree that these drugs have a very legitimate use.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 5:21:25 AM EDT
[#42]
I'd shit talk the edgelords but I know I did WAY worse in the STP threads.  And every FFDP thread.  And at any mention of Nickleback.  And A7X...
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 6:16:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Tom's autopsy report shows the singer was on several pain meds, including Fentanyl patches, oxycodone, temazepam, alprazolam, citalopram, acetylfentanyl and despropionyl fentanyl.  The reason doctors prescribed the meds was because of a number of medical problems, including emphysema, knee problems and a fractured hip.

Opiates strike again
View Quote
Dude was on a lot of stuff. You wreck me one of my favorite songs.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 8:28:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Now only if his music was actually good.
View Quote
He made a couple that were pretty good.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 10:13:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
He didn't inject marijuana?
View Quote
He did. And lots of it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 10:16:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Breaking news when a rock star dies from other than an OD.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 10:17:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
pretty sure we all knew that even though it wasn't confirmed.
View Quote
I didn't, I seriously thought it was something due to his past usage (fucked up heart, liver, etc.)
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:32:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It’s called a drug addiction.  None of those drugs are indicated for any of his listed issues.

It is too bad, I enjoyed his music.  I wish he hadn’t gone out that way.
View Quote
He toured with a fractured hip,

Developed into a full on break.

Probably a little painful.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:41:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Well, thats usually what happens to druggies.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:53:47 AM EDT
[#50]
I am sure there were other problems.

I saw Tom Petty drink an entire 1.75 liter bottle of Jack Daniels in concert once.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top