BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 136
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 6:46:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

She is a flaming liberal who detests conservatives.
View Quote

I guessed that from the thumbnail pic. That's why I didn't watch it.

There's no way on the face of the earth that 'libertarianism' caused that. It might have happened in a libertarian environment, but libertarianism couldn't cause that. Or couldn't' cause anything else to happen.

Link Posted: 6/28/2023 6:49:06 PM EDT
[#2]
https://www.news.uscg.mil/Press-Releases/Article/3443110/us-coast-guard-recovers-evidence-from-titan-submersible/

WASHINGTON – The Coast Guard received debris and evidence recovered from the seafloor at the site of the TITAN submersible when the M/V HORIZON ARCTIC arrived in St. John’s Newfoundland, June 28, 2023.

After consultation with international partner investigative agencies, the Marine Board of Investigation (MBI) intends to transport the evidence aboard a U.S. Coast Guard cutter to a port in the United States where the MBI will be able to facilitate further analysis and testing.

United States medical professionals will conduct a formal analysis of presumed human remains that have been carefully recovered within the wreckage at the site of the incident.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 7:05:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That, a ring finger that got caught on something, or a fingernail/bone embedded in the inside one of the parts removed.
View Quote

It may have failed so fast that stuff was more preserved than you would think.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 7:25:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Surely the government would save stupid people from themselves
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 7:30:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not to derail this thread but one would hope the diversity they seek in the cities they hold dear will guide them sooner than later.....

Back on topic.....I wonder if any video from the outside cameras show exactly what happened, hopefully recorded on a memory card and not stored onboard the sub (hell might have been transmitted to the surface for all we know at this point)?
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 7:32:46 PM EDT
[#6]
The movie has been made

The OceanGate Titan Implosion: An A.I. Powered Short Film
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 7:37:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The movie has been made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBkZoLiUdrQ
View Quote

Okay I take back all some of the bad things I’ve said about AI
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 7:37:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The movie has been made
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/28/2023 7:53:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Porthole could have easily blown out from the CF tube imploding.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

A hammershock impulse resulting from the collapsed water wouldn't surprise me, nor would I be surprised if the shock impulse pressure exceeded twice the depth pressure.  But, the viewing port has significant mass and inertia, and my initial thought is that impulse would transmit through faster than the mass can respond.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 7:53:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not to derail this thread but one would hope the diversity they seek in the cities they hold dear will guide them sooner than later.....

Back on topic.....I wonder if any video from the outside cameras show exactly what happened, hopefully recorded on a memory card and not stored onboard the sub (hell might have been transmitted to the surface for all we know at this point)?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Water does not lend itself to high data rates via acoustic data links. Never mind that the power budget of two lithium batteries would not support the power needed for an acoustic transmitter at that distance. The only way you would transfer video off the submersible to the mother ship is via a tether with a fiber optic link which they did not have.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 7:58:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That reminds me, I meant to ask 40 pages ago, why 17 bolts?

I'm sure there's a simple calculation that shows that surfaces with a radius of X have Y inches of linear mating surfaces and if they're made of Z material and machined to within A tolerance +/- of being 'flat' they need a clamp of B size every C inches to hold the faces flat enough to seal against D amount of pressure. BUt if you ran such a calculation and came up with needing a total of 17 clamps.....wouldn't you just go with 18, or 20, or 24?

Under what circumstance would it ever occur to anyone to put 17 of them? It's so easy to divide a circle into 18, 20, or 24 pieces. Why 17?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seeing that ring, the end hemisphere is no longer bolted to it with the 17 reported bolts.

I'm sure there's a simple calculation that shows that surfaces with a radius of X have Y inches of linear mating surfaces and if they're made of Z material and machined to within A tolerance +/- of being 'flat' they need a clamp of B size every C inches to hold the faces flat enough to seal against D amount of pressure. BUt if you ran such a calculation and came up with needing a total of 17 clamps.....wouldn't you just go with 18, or 20, or 24?

Under what circumstance would it ever occur to anyone to put 17 of them? It's so easy to divide a circle into 18, 20, or 24 pieces. Why 17?

In an interview with the CBS reporter who took a ride on it last year, he said there were actually 18  to secure the hatch but "they only installed 17 of them because the 18th one was high up and didn't matter anyway" (paraphrasing.) I have to wonder if that was a crew member joking with him or if they were really serious.

edit - found the interview video where he says it at 1:25:

Missing Titanic submersible 'less sophisticated,' David Pogue recalls | USA TODAY

Link Posted: 6/28/2023 8:02:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

In an interview with the CBS reporter who took a ride on it last year, he said there were actually 18 bolts to secure the hatch but "they only installed 17 of them because the 18th one was high up and didn't matter anyway" (paraphrasing.) I have to wonder if that was a crew member joking with him or if they were really serious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seeing that ring, the end hemisphere is no longer bolted to it with the 17 reported bolts.

In an interview with the CBS reporter who took a ride on it last year, he said there were actually 18 bolts to secure the hatch but "they only installed 17 of them because the 18th one was high up and didn't matter anyway" (paraphrasing.) I have to wonder if that was a crew member joking with him or if they were really serious.

Irrelevant. Sea pressure was sealing that dome against the ring more than any application of a wrench would.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 8:03:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

As far as I know, the only means of communication the submersible had with the surface ship was by text, and even that was intermittant.

Rush had spoke with Teledyne Technologies about obtaining communication equipment that would be reliable for deep sea dives, but the cheapskate thought that it was too expensive.

With that in mind, the sub actually being able to transmit live video seems a bit far-fetched.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Irrelevant. Sea pressure was sealing that dome against the ring more than any application of a wrench would.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get it, but come on
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 8:06:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 8:06:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

As far as I know, the only means of communication the submersible had with the surface ship was by text, and even that was intermittant.

Rush had spoke with Teledyne Technologies about obtaining communication equipment that would be reliable for deep sea dives, but the cheapskate thought that it was too expensive.

With that in mind, the sub actually being able to transmit live video seems a but far-fetched.
View Quote

Sonardyne was the name on the text chat thingy. Thy do an all-in-one transponder/transceiver/transducer and I think that's the thing sticking out of the top of the hull towards the rear.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 8:10:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

A hammershock impulse resulting from the collapsed water wouldn't surprise me, nor would I be surprised if the shock impulse pressure exceeded twice the depth pressure.  But, the viewing port has significant mass and inertia, and my initial thought is that impulse would transmit through faster than the mass can respond.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

These subs and the viewports are all designed to have the pressure coming from the outside which is why most of them have a conical shape to the view port. Pressure coming from the outside would IMO pop them out like a cork.

When pressure is all on the outside, they can use that pressure to their advantage by improving the seal with the force being applied. That works in reverse when there is sudden pressure spike coming from inside when another part of the vessel fails.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 8:11:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Notice the pictures of the debris being recovered, everything is wrapped with tarps, with a little bit of it peeking through.  WTF are they doing that for? It's just a piece of twisted metal.  And they have recovered some bodily remains.  

I wonder if this whole thing is going to be kept secret from the public, with no videos or pics of anything ever being released.  Kinda sucks.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 8:26:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

And is part of the "New Atheism" movement, and tried to pull a #MeToo on a guy that propositioned her in an elevator at an atheism conference in Europe IIRC.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 8:28:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Notice the pictures of the debris being recovered, everything is wrapped with tarps, with a little bit of it peeking through.  WTF are they doing that for? It's just a piece of twisted metal.  And they have recovered some bodily remains.  

I wonder if this whole thing is going to be kept secret from the public, with no videos or pics of anything ever being released.  Kinda sucks.
View Quote

There should be an exhaustive report done so this incident can be used as a learning tool for future people who want to get into deep sea subs.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 8:29:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can't think of a serious marine casualty that hasn't been pretty well photographed, both for media release and for the report.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 8:43:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I wonder how big the biggest piece of carcass they found is.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 8:52:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I wonder how big the biggest piece of carcass they found is.
View Quote

Maybe a hair or a jacked up toe or a Sea urchin or barnacle that hitched a ride in the way down.
Could be a strand of carbon fiber too.

Can't wait for the DNA testing results about a hero that almost survived. The MSM will be all over that shit.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 8:54:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The movie has been made

View Quote

The kid made me feel pretty bad. AI definitely hit the gamut with that.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 9:09:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

There's no way on the face of the earth that 'libertarianism' caused that. It might have happened in a libertarian environment, but libertarianism couldn't cause that. Or couldn't' cause anything else to happen.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was actually white privilege. All those 50 year old white guys only got into college because they could afford tutors or large donations to the universities.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 9:37:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It was actually white privilege. All those 50 year old white guys only got into college because they could afford tutors or large donations to the universities.
View Quote

They're just mad because no poor people died in a submarine. They had to settle for migrant rafts.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 9:41:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

When I changed the clutch on my car it was noted many people don’t bother putting in the bolt at the top of the bell housing back in because it’s such a bitch.  

There’s no f’in way I’d even do something like that on my car.  I not only put that bolt  back in but also managed to get a torque wrench on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did that on a transmission pan once.  Figured one missing bolt wouldn't hurt.  Well all the fluid leaked out.

When I changed the clutch on my car it was noted many people don’t bother putting in the bolt at the top of the bell housing back in because it’s such a bitch.  

There’s no f’in way I’d even do something like that on my car.  I not only put that bolt  back in but also managed to get a torque wrench on it.

I don't see what the big deal is, when ever I fix anything, car, truck, radio, I always have parts left over

shrug

Link Posted: 6/28/2023 9:49:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Looking at the ti flange I don't see any deformation of the inner ring. Had the carbon fiber to failed I would expect to see the inner ring of that flange deformed and flattened over.
What I do see is traces of whatever the epoxy resin was that bonded the carbon fiber tube to the titanium flange.
In my experience the bonded joint is always the weakest joint, once water pressure begins to delaminate the joint it's all over and when you consider the fact that the adhesive probably could not withstand the compression and expansion cycles it most likely delaminated from the titanium ring itself.
I would guess under the force of the implosion it probably snapped all the bolts between the flanges and titanium domes to include the flange that bolted into porthole window
View Quote

It is hard to believe the only thing holding the titanium endplates on was epoxy.

Also hard to believe they left the 18th bolt off.

also hard to believe they used CF for a pressure hull, and never did any pre-use destructive cycle testing, or non-destructive testing, or used expired aircraft CF or any of the other criminally negligent things including piloting it with a wireless game controller.

The entire thing is stunningly unbelievably negligent.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 9:54:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It is hard to believe the only thing holding the titanium endplates on was epoxy.

Also hard to believe they left the 18th bolt off.

also hard to believe they used CF for a pressure hull, and never did any pre-use destructive cycle testing, or non-destructive testing, or used expired aircraft CF or any of the other criminally negligent things including piloting it with a wireless game controller.

The entire thing is stunningly unbelievably negligent.
View Quote
You've spent too much time at large companies with .gov contracts.  All the negligence and incompetence  is absolutely believable.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 10:08:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 10:10:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Is there a brief explanation for how carbon fiber expires in unused state?
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 10:22:03 PM EDT
[#32]

One thing you'll notice on all these professional deep dive vehicles is that the viewing windows are all extremely small, with a deep countersink in the hull.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 10:27:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Probably used bolts from the non sae bins at the local Ace
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 10:33:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Would it have mattered what the 17 bolts were made from that they were bolted in with? Titanium vs steel?
View Quote

They are not close enough on the galvanic corrosion table/chart so its possible the steel would have corroded, but maybe nkt this quick.
And would it surprise anyone if they did just use plain carbon or low allyed steel from  the hardware bins, and not titanicum fasteners?
If they did happen to use Ti, what grade?  Grade 5 would be uninspiring .  Sure they used steel.  It would have been inspiring to use galvanized bolts.

You want to use metals close together on the table.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 10:36:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Is there a brief explanation for how carbon fiber expires in unused state?
View Quote

I’m not a CF expert but I did some reading on it. It’s not the carbon fiber filaments go bad when it expires. What they used is pre-impregnated carbon fiber. It’s essentially carbon fiber with the resin already in it. It expires because they can’t guarantee the uncured resin is still good without further testing.

Apparently there’s a process and procedure to recertify expired carbon fiber but it’s not cheap. If it’s true Oceangate bought an expired batch from Boeing, I’m guessing Boeing did the math and figured out that the loss on selling expired batches is less than the costs to recertify them; but that’s just a guess.

My disclaimer again is that I’m not a SME and this is just based on my understandings.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 10:43:41 PM EDT
[#36]

Is that one of the end rings?  If it is and we are looking at the channel that seated on the CF tube, maybe its the only epoxy that bonded to the ring?
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 10:48:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I thought that happened too, but what about the opposing pressure from outside? The energy of the decompression must have been crazy high to pop both the viewport and the hemisphere from the ring. I wonder if they found any bolts, which are now presumably longer than OEM spec...I'd like to know the modulus of those bolts, but I don't think they're a factor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the CF tube failed, those hemispheres had something like 15 million pounds of force applied to them (briefly) as the interior volume was compressed.  Windows popping out and bolts shearing seem like an expected result given that the design was intended to keep pressure out, not in.

I thought that happened too, but what about the opposing pressure from outside? The energy of the decompression must have been crazy high to pop both the viewport and the hemisphere from the ring. I wonder if they found any bolts, which are now presumably longer than OEM spec...I'd like to know the modulus of those bolts, but I don't think they're a factor.

The hemisphere with the port hole doesn't seem to have any bolt studs or holes visible.   Like they were just sheared off clean on the same plane
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 10:54:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Weight savings.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Holy shit. It was drilled for 18 bolts, but they only used 17 because the top one was hard to get to?

Call me crazy..
Weight savings.

Thats all there was in the bin for 1/2" x 1-1//2" coarse thread bolts at the local Ace
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 10:55:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

One thing you'll notice on all these professional deep dive vehicles is that the viewing windows are all extremely small, with a deep countersink in the hull.
View Quote

Also notice the windows are rated for the full depth they are going.  I watched the video and my guess is the white bag they unloaded off the ship is small parts and carbon fiber bits.  The lesson here is not to ride in dangerous submarines. He went cheap every step of the way and it as expected bit him in the ass.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 11:05:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Is that bolted ring plate still there? Hard to tell. If it's broken off then I would guess the extreme water pressure blew it outward rather than inward. Blowing outward would indicate the carbon vessel failed first.

Link Posted: 6/28/2023 11:10:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Let's just face it, going down in a carbon fiber tube to see the Titanic is for pussies. If you don't SCUBA dive to it you are a SOI BOY.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 11:18:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 11:40:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Triton makes some cools subs.

https://tritonsubs.com/this-stunning-new-submersible-is-like-a-home-theater-for-life-under-the-sea/

Home theater like seating for up to 9 of your friends or family.

More

Link Posted: 6/28/2023 11:52:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 12:58:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Interesting video, goes into rushes mental state
What The Top of Mount Stupid Looks Like - OceanGate's Stockton Rush's Psychology
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 1:18:35 AM EDT
[#46]
First look at #oceangate #titan Debris
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 4:09:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yep, I bet that is seawater intrusion.  The damn thing actually leaked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I wonder if thats what started failing first when they messaged topside they were coming back up and dealing with an emergency. They weren't caught off guard. They knew something very bad was starting before it imploded.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 6:47:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I wonder if thats what started failing first when they messaged topside they were coming back up and dealing with an emergency. They weren't caught off guard. They knew something very bad was starting before it imploded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My guess is at those pressures it’s not like you’d see a drip and then seconds later a fail. It would all just go.

That either something showing it had been letting water in and the adhesive was failing or that’s where the adhesives used weren’t totally bonded
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 6:50:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

My guess is at those pressures it’s not like you’d see a drip and then seconds later a fail. It would all just go.

That either something showing it had been letting water in and the adhesive was failing or that’s where the adhesives used weren’t totally bonded
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you've ever tested adhesive strength you'd see something similar to this by applying pressure till failure, the adhesive remains roughly the same on both parts, unevenly torn from both mating surfaces, and would look similar to this. The photo isn't high res enough to really determine anything imo.

ETA:
Here's a guy testing JB weld, the failure point looks darn near identical.

Go to 5:00 to see the test and 6:35 to see the results.

How strong is JB weld structural epoxy adhesive anyways ? Destructive test, simulation and review
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 6:59:25 AM EDT
[#50]

This is really solid review of the failure mode and makes perfect sense.  The flex broke the glue bond because of the dissimilar compression rates.  

Looking at what others have posted, the window popped out vs being a failure point.
Page / 136
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top