BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:28:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Diversity is our strength.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:29:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Only a few are truly leaders, the rest are just mindless followers...

Toyota isn't the world's largest auto manufacturer because they played by everyone else's rules.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:30:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Toyota is butt hurt that they bet big on hydrogen vehicles and now they're far behind the curve. They've been trying this shit for years.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:34:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There is no solution for me to pull my 7000 pound race trailer 4 hours, set up camp in a remote field for the weekend and drive back 4 hours.  Even with the best battery tech available I could only go a hundred or so miles before having to recharge, then how do I recharge once I get there?
View Quote

Lol…hahahaha. You think they want you to be able to pull a 7,000 pound race trailer? Lol.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:34:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Toyota is butt hurt that they bet big on hydrogen vehicles and now they're far behind the curve. They've been trying this shit for years.
View Quote

So multiple multi-billion dollar hydrogen hub projects in the US, Europe and Japan, have nothing to do with that strategy?

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:42:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

In time, the econauts will call for an embargo on Toyota. Just wait!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Japan seems to be bucking the woke trend in general.

In time, the econauts will call for an embargo on Toyota. Just wait!

Yep the people behind EV mandates don't care about science. They will offer to bribe you into EV production...before they force you.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:47:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The eco-nazis don't care about actual science. All that matters to them is "science" that confirms their beliefs, even if some of those beliefs are contradictory.
View Quote

Give me a C-O-G!
Give me an N-I-T-I-V!
Give me an E-space-D
What's that spell? Cognitive D!
What's that spell? Cognitive D!
Diiiiiiiisoooonance!
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I’m can only imagine they are saying what every other legacy manufacturer will actually do, which is a combination of multiple different power plants.
From the article
By contrast, Toyota wants to sell around 5.5 million internal combustion-engined and plug-in hybrid cars per year from 2030, as well as 3.5 million EVs, including 1 million Lexus-branded cars.
They’ll build a shitload of EVs if one reads the article.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:59:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Toyota IS correct.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I’m can only imagine they are saying what every other legacy manufacturer will actually do, which is a combination of multiple different power plants.
From the article
By contrast, Toyota wants to sell around 5.5 million internal combustion-engined and plug-in hybrid cars per year from 2030, as well as 3.5 million EVs, including 1 million Lexus-branded cars.
They’ll build a shitload of EVs if one reads the article.
View Quote

I always thought it was wrong when people tried to peg Toyota as anti-EV. They are just a bit more honest with their diversification and unfortunately that annoys both extremes. People want brands to take a side, and this is just typical Toyota "Eh we sell what we sell".
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 12:51:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I see you're in Utah- home to another of my former clients. A pretty large magnesium metal producer that utilizes massive evaporation ponds near the great salt lake.
View Quote

Would that be out west of Ogden, and used to make deicer? if so I inadvertently found them and Westinghouse one night when I went out for a drive
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 1:42:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It's been fascinating to watch people's rabid hate of the Left, combined with their 100% association of EVs with a "Leftist agenda," lead to talking points straight out of the... Left.

I get the feeling a lot of today's "super concerned about the hazards of mining lithium" crowd were posting about burning tires on Earth day just a decade ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention the strip mining for cobalt and other resources

You're anti "strip mining"?

Where the fuck do you think iron, coal, copper, etc comes from?

You know, the elements/minerals that make a modern society possible.....

It's been fascinating to watch people's rabid hate of the Left, combined with their 100% association of EVs with a "Leftist agenda," lead to talking points straight out of the... Left.

I get the feeling a lot of today's "super concerned about the hazards of mining lithium" crowd were posting about burning tires on Earth day just a decade ago.

You’re probably correct about some people.

But there’s also holding leftists to their own standards. And hoisting them on their own petard.

PS, I have never burned a tire on Earth Day or at any other time.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:17:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Would that be out west of Ogden, and used to make deicer? if so I inadvertently found them and Westinghouse one night when I went out for a drive
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see you're in Utah- home to another of my former clients. A pretty large magnesium metal producer that utilizes massive evaporation ponds near the great salt lake.

No, that's Compass Minerals. US Magnesium is on the south side of the GSL.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:26:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Toyota says we aren't going to put all our eggs in one basket.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:28:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep here are the Greenie weenies in action...and what the real end result of the WEF is...

Luciferian hatred for all of God's creation...
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:29:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Despite their shenanigans in Hawaii,  the Japs are actually pretty cool.
View Quote

They probably prefer being called Japanese though...
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:33:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The eco-nazis don't care about actual science. All that matters to them is "science" that confirms their beliefs, even if some of those beliefs are contradictory.
View Quote

In the end it's about control.  And they want total control.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:36:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I don’t think it will continue, they fired Toyoda because of this view
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Toyota is correct and I'm shocked they took this direction.

Japan seems to be bucking the woke trend in general.

I don’t think it will continue, they fired Toyoda because of this view

No, they promoted him to Chairman of the Board of Toyota.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#19]
So everything I can find about the supposed "lithium leech field" being able to kill birds by them just landing on it says there's no evidence supporting that statement. How many threads are we going to start because someone on the internet said a thing?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:51:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So everything I can find about the supposed "lithium leech field" being able to kill birds by them just landing on it says there's no evidence supporting that statement. How many threads are we going to start because someone on the internet said a thing?
View Quote

It's not a "leach" field. They're solar evaporation ponds used to concentrate low levels of lithium chloride to higher concentrations prior to further processing. SQM uses them to make potassium fertillizer as well. High levels of dissolved solids can kill birds if it gets in their feathers and they drown. This happens in evaporation ponds in various industries all over the world.

In SE New Mexico was had a guy that would shoot a 12 gauge shotgun with the firecracker (don't remember what they were called) loads at birds that came too close to evaporation ponds.

This is a case of Bullshit from anti-EV people. Liberals aren't the only ones that spread bullshit because of an agenda.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:53:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Toyota is correct and I'm shocked they took this direction.
View Quote

I’m glad they are fighting back
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 3:20:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nah they only believe in what they call “science” when it really is made up bull crap.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The Japs rarely fail in their market studies. Gotta agree with Toyota, as all-or-nothing thinking is almost always wrong
View Quote

A market study?  it's common sense.  

I want an electric car for exclusively commuting, in addition to a real car. Supplanting a real car with an electric car is just communist poppycock.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 3:26:44 PM EDT
[#24]
In for the Prius buyers self immolation
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 3:29:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Even if we're wrong, we're right.

that's the gist of AGW
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 3:31:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 3:32:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Or perhaps they saw EVs are not practical long term.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 3:34:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Self hatred that the badge of look at me, I care about the earf, decides to stay with gasoline... gasp
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 3:35:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 3:35:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Japan isn’t on board with the neo fascist Western globalist cucks
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 3:38:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Now if they could just bring back the 4Runner with a V8......??
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Using smaller batteries combined with ICE power to travel further is going to make a TON more sense than huge batteries with hundreds of miles of range. Currently, I'm on the waitlist for a Rav4 Prime, which will probably come up for me in June or July. I'm not sure that I'll pull the trigger, though.
View Quote
I was strongly considering a Rav4 Prime as well, but the listed 42 miles of electric range just isn't quite enough for me.

A Prime with 80 miles of range on the other hand would be just about right.  That means I'd be able to do road trips just fine, but otherwise almost never have to refuel.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 3:48:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You're probably correct about some people.

But there's also holding leftists to their own standards. And hoisting them on their own petard.

PS, I have never burned a tire on Earth Day or at any other time.
View Quote
The problem is that hypocrisy never attaches to the left.  Ridicule is a good strategy, though.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:09:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Toyota has been developing at least 5 different power plants for the better part of the last 20 years.  They'll be prepared for whichever way the market goes.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:19:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Toyota has been developing at least 5 different power plants for the better part of the last 20 years.  They'll be prepared for whichever way the market goes.
View Quote

I think people can make jokes about how they are behind in the interior and options race and there are some valid points there but they certainly can't say they are behind in adjusting to where the market is going. Ok, maybe coming out with the Corolla GR the year after everyone else practically dropped hot hatches may have been a slow reaction.

People also forget that Toyota was pretty close with Tesla for a few years so it's not like they have been completely ignoring the market.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:28:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Good for Toyota!
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

So multiple multi-billion dollar hydrogen hub projects in the US, Europe and Japan, have nothing to do with that strategy?

https://csis-website-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/Hydrogen%20Hub_Commentary%20Graphic_FINAL.jpg?5IKmajjfLZfZs7kaS82_QcGwr37hj4U5
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://csis-website-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/Hydrogen%20Hub_Commentary%20Graphic_FINAL.jpg?5IKmajjfLZfZs7kaS82_QcGwr37hj4U5

You are not wrong, hydrogen is coming as well, but is massively behind just pure electric. But lets give it a little context shall we? CA has 1 hub planned, 1. That hub will need to feed hydrogen powered ships, trains, power plants, 18 wheelers and some cars. Last I heard the hub was set to be online around 2045 and around LA which makes sense as they have the biggest port. I point out CA because they are shooting for 100% green by 2040, that includes trains and ships coming into ports and even then the best they got right now is 2045. Toyota is right that country will depend on hydrogen as well, and needs more now, none of that is wrong. But EV's are selling today, and consumers want them, and they are missing out on sales by not offering them.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 8:05:59 PM EDT
[#38]
This guy is a douche sometimes but every once in a while he gets it right:
Why Gas Engines Are Far From Dead - Biggest EV Problems

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 8:47:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You are not wrong, hydrogen is coming as well, but is massively behind just pure electric. But lets give it a little context shall we? CA has 1 hub planned, 1. That hub will need to feed hydrogen powered ships, trains, power plants, 18 wheelers and some cars. Last I heard the hub was set to be online around 2045 and around LA which makes sense as they have the biggest port. I point out CA because they are shooting for 100% green by 2040, that includes trains and ships coming into ports and even then the best they got right now is 2045. Toyota is right that country will depend on hydrogen as well, and needs more now, none of that is wrong. But EV's are selling today, and consumers want them, and they are missing out on sales by not offering them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m sure you’re right about missing some EV sales but right now their biggest opportunity is fixing their supply line on existing models.  They still can’t produce enough ICE vehicles to satisfy demand. They only expect to be able to increase production 5% in 2023.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:09:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Despite their shenanigans in Hawaii,  the Japs are actually pretty cool.
View Quote

They are extremely detail oriented in the things that they do..

They don't fuck around, they're not gonna destroy their business over some pandering make-believe
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:14:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

They are extremely detail oriented in the things that they do..

They don't fuck around, they're not gonna destroy their business over some pandering make-believe
View Quote

And then there is Nissan who believed CVT transmissions were a good idea.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:25:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Toyota is right.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:34:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Lol…hahahaha. You think they want you to be able to pull a 7,000 pound race trailer? Lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no solution for me to pull my 7000 pound race trailer 4 hours, set up camp in a remote field for the weekend and drive back 4 hours.  Even with the best battery tech available I could only go a hundred or so miles before having to recharge, then how do I recharge once I get there?

Seriously dude you can just take your vacations in the metaverse..
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:35:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Seriously dude you can just take your vacations in the metaverse..
View Quote

I don't even think the biggest leftist greenie control freak believes in the metaverse at this point.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 4:29:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Good
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 4:38:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Toyota is great.  It's too bad they don't make an HD pickup.
View Quote

Toyota doesn't understand American full-size pickups and hasn't for a couple decades. They are masters of every class of vehicles outside of American full-size pickups.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 4:40:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'd rather go back to horses than EV tractors. EV Tractors will be so cost prohibitive I doubt most farmers could stay in business. I have no doubt this is the goal of many eco-nuts. The goal seems to be more about reducing food production at a time we should be finding ways to produce more food. I can see EVs in the cities but the further you get away from them the less they have a purpose. No, I don't advocate their use, period. The cities will become gigantic sink wells of Ozone pollution, a more dangerous eco problem. We are pushing a product but not even trying to build the grid network to support it. It is the typical approach of wackos. It is nothing but a patchwork of millions of bandaids. When it fails it will be stone age catastrophic.
View Quote

A full battery powered EV tractor doesn't make sense. A Tethered tractor with a small battery to use for transport between fields would work fine.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 4:42:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Toyota doesn't understand American full-size pickups and hasn't for a couple decades. They are masters of every class of vehicles outside of American full-size pickups.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Toyota is great.  It's too bad they don't make an HD pickup.

Does anyone really understand American full-size pickups?
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 4:53:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

i dont think that EV tractors COULD work at all. will run 16-24 hours a day on big farms, you cant charge a battery for 1.5 horus every 3 and keep that up. plus they would be HUGE batteries, (tractors use TONS of torque constantly) and dont brake so no regen cycle, and constant acceleration. basically it would be like doing quarter mile drags constantly) tesla's doing drag races get 50 out of a full charge, so in miles that is 12.5 MILES from a 300 mile battery. in tractor time that is more like hour plowing hour charging. or tow a giant trailer battery(weighs a TON, see what towing does for EV trucks). Some sort of hybrid tractor MAYBE but the nature of the work doesnt lend itself to usefulness in that application. Hybrids work great for incity due to teh regen braking , they store braking energy as acceleration energy so they get 60-70 city miles while only gettign 55 highway.
View Quote

A tractor Tethered to 480V 3 phase power would work well.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 5:01:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This, EV’s are a money making scam.
View Quote

For a great many folks, yes, I agree. However I have taken to liking more and more Elon's reasoning for doing so. He says he realises the a quick pivot to EV is a foolish notion and impractical. However, he said looking at the data, fossil fuel is finite. Quite abundant and for quite a long time, but still finite. The fact that it isn't necessary now doesn't mean we should do nothing.

That said, my opinion on it is that most companies are going the EV route due to money. Be it gov subsidies or just riding the popularity wave. Subsidies and carbon taxes are just money through forced taxes. I don't know if Tesla gets a bunch of subsidies or not. I'm under the impression that the majority, if not all, of Tesla RnD and production has been privately funded. It would seem as his attempt to further the technology and science behind it because it he wants to see a better future, not racing to cram tax dollars in his pocket as much as he can like other companies seem to be doing.

Also, other companies seem to only started trying seriously after Tesla proved it could be done and forged the market. They are followers trying to suck up and money they can in the wake.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top