Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 4:07:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Lol why is there so much corporate cock sucking here?

Link Posted: 8/4/2023 4:09:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 4:10:08 PM EDT
[#3]
This is why they keep unloading more and more of their engineering to low cost countries
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 4:25:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't know what their pension and healthcare plans look like.

In my area, the UAW healthcare and pension plans are not golden...they're made of platinum.  The few workers I know, all bitch about pay and due to the union structure...some are underpaid (like automation engineers, maintenance).

The problem is, and I've told them this, is that they carry way too much dead weight.  The fellas I know are hard workers, but they will readily admit that many of their union brothers are lazy POS's who game the system the day after they clear probation period.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 4:27:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Never hurts to ask.
View Quote

At a certain point, I disagree. Become too outrageous and management no longer just laughs you off, they retaliate
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 4:32:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

At a certain point, I disagree. Become too outrageous and management no longer just laughs you off, they retaliate
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never hurts to ask.

Are corporations known to be fair otherwise? They treat people with respect?

Isn't there a huge culture pushing back against them as we speak?

Haven't they done as much damage as deep state?

I don't get the love for them at all.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 4:40:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

It isn't one or the other. They can both suck equally for entirely different reason. I'll give you this...at least the union guys aren't selling out the entire population by moving production off shore.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 4:46:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It isn't one or the other. They can both suck equally for entirely different reason. I'll give you this...at least the union guys aren't selling out the entire population by moving production off shore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Totally agree but most on here seem to take one side or the other and its sickening to watch them simp for corporations ....both suck but imo corporations have done far more damage.

Link Posted: 8/4/2023 5:03:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

And yet, the endorsements and donations keep flowing. Someone among the membership must be okay with it.
View Quote

Depending on a Union's Constitution and bylaws it CAN be difficult but not impossible to shift top leadership in order to change entrenched positions.  

I know that my union at the State leadership level endorsed and gave the maximum 5k donation to Kari Lake.  Regardless at how that election has shook out, you might be surprised at what doors that has opened and continues to open at the State Capital.

In many, but not all ways we need to stop with the old thinking and start with the new.  The old battle lines are no more.

Link Posted: 8/4/2023 5:13:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This is how you get your auto makers to pack up and move to Mexico.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/4/2023 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#11]
work slower, join a union
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 5:18:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Just like we’re all about to earn 120 month financing on auto loans, right?
View Quote

That’s a feature not a bug. Just think what it will do for your credit score.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 5:18:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Why not 400%?  No cajones?
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 5:22:31 PM EDT
[#14]
This is why these jobs get "relocated," to Mexico and then they bitch. Sounds reasonable at first, sure, but in a year or two they'll be back for more. Unions are the mirror image of "if you give a mouse a cookie". They outlived their usefulness and now it's all a greedy money grab. FUCK UNIONS. And if you don't like that statement, I don't care because you're likely a union teat sucker. Yeah, I said it and I'll own it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 5:25:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This is far from typical. I haven't seen an initial ask like this in the 40 years that I've been around the industry as best I can recall.
View Quote

I'm sure the exploding cost of living has nothing at all to do with it.

And either way it's an "ask" that has yet to evolve into, and likely never will, a hard "40% or we strike!"  ultimatum...
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 5:28:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
As I say in every union thread, the democrats in congress and the president should force a shitty agreement on them.
View Quote

Hehe  I've seen it done... And you can rest assured I've used it to bludgeon the handful of 'diehard' dems in my local.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 6:32:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Article says 20% now and 5% per year for four years.  

Article also says pay is $18-32 per hour - considering I can get $16/hour at chik-fil-a it doesn't sound as outrageous as thread title makes it sound.  
View Quote

Chick-fil-a workers are probably more skilled.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 6:36:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If they automakers were smart (LOL) they would happily trade 40% for better ability to fire terrible employees.

But they aren't, so the big three are likely to go the way of Sears.
View Quote

This is the correct response based on my experience with unionized auto workers.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 6:37:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Another knee-jerk GD reaction.  While some union leadership MAY have democrat ties, union membership is no longer a safe democrat vote stronghold. In fact, it is just the opposite.  I work in a union shop and while there are some dyed in the wool democrats, the majority are not, and some would make GD look tame in their conspiracy theories and .gov hate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Article also says pay is $18-32 per hour - considering I can get $16/hour at chik-fil-a it doesn't sound as outrageous as thread title makes it sound.  

This is GD. Mention any union and the hate blathering goes into hyperdrive.

Most likely the UAW will not get that but something less.  MAYBE 15% then 3.5% each year but most likely nothing greater than 10% first year.  Where the gains will be could be on the non-monetary side.  People tend to ignore this, but non-financial gains can be quite good to have in a union contract.

Couldn't have anything to do with their universal support for dems could it?

Another knee-jerk GD reaction.  While some union leadership MAY have democrat ties, union membership is no longer a safe democrat vote stronghold. In fact, it is just the opposite.  I work in a union shop and while there are some dyed in the wool democrats, the majority are not, and some would make GD look tame in their conspiracy theories and .gov hate.

Been hearing this same drivel for at least 20 years, it's bullshit.

Unions have and continue to primarily fund and vote for democrats.  Hell, the votes don't even really matter that much any more - the dems just need to keep the union leadership in their pockets for that sweet union cheddar.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 6:41:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're just funding the onshoring of the immigrant hordes to replace all the American workforce.    
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

If these people are treated SOOOOOOOOOOO unfairly, why are they there?

I have an idea. You go 30 days without using or consuming anything that was produced by a corporation.

After that if you haven't starved to death, let me know how you feel about corporations, then.

Link Posted: 8/4/2023 6:44:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's very reasonable, sounds like they are underpaid.

A lot of fast food is paying $20+.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 6:46:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm sure the exploding cost of living has nothing at all to do with it.

And either way it's an "ask" that has yet to evolve into, and likely never will, a hard "40% or we strike!"  ultimatum...
View Quote

The companies should send a counter-offer of a 40% decrease in wages.

Link Posted: 8/4/2023 6:49:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never hurts to ask.

Why aren't all the union lackeys starting their own corporations and creating worker utopias to show us how it's done?

Y'all been bitching for 100 years how fucking great you are and how you carry every company, yet you don't do the one thing that can stop the bitching???
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 6:52:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Fuck 'em.

I'm buying a new Nissan Frontier.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 6:52:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That's very reasonable, sounds like they are underpaid.

A lot of fast food is paying $20+.
View Quote

First, of all, no it's not. The average is something like $25,000/year ($12/hour).

What does "underpaid" even mean? If they could get a better deal somewhere else, they would.

UAW workers should probably earn much less than fast food workers.

1) Fast Food has a social stigma associated with it that manufacturing does not
2) They require the same amount of skill
3) Fast food is much grosser and more strenuous.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 6:57:04 PM EDT
[#27]
The national debt is out of control.  The two obvious ways out are inflation and default.

We are currently trying inflation.  Inflation is like saying, "Yes, we told you would pay you $1 Trillion.  And, we will, but when we pay it back, $1T will buy ONE electric power plant."

Inflation will ripple through everywhere.  Consumer prices, wholesale prices, energy, wages, etc.  I think the UAW will get a large portion of what they are asking for.  Some years from now, the auto manufacturers will be asking for another taxpayer bailout.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 6:58:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
they may get the pay hike short term, but long term the company will just expand their production in mexico and lay off UAW workers

this inflation
is not sustainable , and there will be a lot of pain
View Quote

In a lot of cases, inflation has morphed into easy reasons for raising prices and making more profit (but perhaps not just reasonable profit but record breaking greed known as greedflation).

The fed might try to battle inflation all they want but greedflation is going to hold that back.

How Corporate Greed Makes Inflation Worse

Link Posted: 8/4/2023 7:00:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Doesn't seem that wild to me. EVERYTHING costs more. Inflation is through the roof.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 7:02:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

GD is a bunch of old school boomers who think that conservatism = corporatism. It’s not. It never was. But they were sold that false claim by political mouthpieces in the media over the last 30 years.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 7:02:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Doesn't seem that wild to me. EVERYTHING costs more. Inflation is through the roof.
View Quote

Except for the fact that it's the government forcing the employer to do something they don't want to. Are you into that kind of thing?
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 7:04:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

GD is a bunch of old school boomers who think that conservatism = corporatism. It’s not. It never was. But they were sold that false claim by political mouthpieces in the media over the last 30 years.
View Quote

If wanting the government to piss off and stay out the affairs of private companies makes a person a corporatist, then so be it.

Two things can be, and are, true:

1) Unions are commie scum. Petitioning the government to come in and force your employer to give you something you didn't earn is as commie as it gets.
2) The big 3 automakers are terrible companies.

Link Posted: 8/4/2023 7:05:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Chick-fil-a workers are probably more skilled.
View Quote

They're certainly a motivated bunch.  

I'm quite certain that anyone that's managed a CFL, an In n Out, or a Quick Trip convienence store for at least a year could manage the massive corporation I work for better than the batch of C-Suite folks running it now.

Link Posted: 8/4/2023 7:07:38 PM EDT
[#34]
2022 profit sharing bonus was $12,750 for 42,300 hourly employees.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 7:12:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The companies should send a counter-offer of a 40% decrease in wages.

View Quote

They most certainly are free to do so  
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 7:17:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

The traditional left feels that fascism will be foisted on America by corporations...

The traditional right feels that fascism will be foisted on America by big government...

The simple answer to both questions is "yes" and they're doing it as one.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 7:21:22 PM EDT
[#37]
A GM or Dodge truck made in Mexico costs the same as my F150 made in Kansas City Missouri.  So it doesn't seem like the manufactures are passing on that labor savings to the consumer or it just isn't a big driver in cost.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Top pay is $32.I guess if you are unskilled then this is good.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 7:54:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
A GM or Dodge truck made in Mexico costs the same as my F150 made in Kansas City Missouri.  So it doesn't seem like the manufactures are passing on that labor savings to the consumer or it just isn't a big driver in cost.
View Quote

I believe labor is relatively inexpensive compared to the total cost of a vehicle, but it is easier for manufacturers to try to cut labor costs than it is to cut the price of steel etc, so the workers get the bad press.

Fuzzy math-
If it takes an average of 20 hours for the big 3 to build a vehicle in the US, (probably less) and including benefits it costs GM 58 dollars per hour for labor (pulled randomly from the internet) then they have $1,160 in each vehicle for labor.
How much are new vehicles costing these days?
If I made an error please correct it.

Link Posted: 8/4/2023 7:59:05 PM EDT
[#40]
$200k to turn a screwdriver.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 7:59:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Good, they should make a good wage...the products are cheaply made and have huge margins..they can pass someof that to the workers.

Maybe cut some of the other bullshit jobs in corporate
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 8:00:07 PM EDT
[#42]
The 10 million illegals let in will work for $10 an hour.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 8:01:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I believe labor is relatively inexpensive compared to the total cost of a vehicle, but it is easier for manufacturers to try to cut labor costs than it is to cut the price of steel etc, so the workers get the bad press.

Fuzzy math-
If it takes an average of 20 hours for the big 3 to build a vehicle in the US, (probably less) and including benefits it costs GM 58 dollars per hour for labor (pulled randomly from the internet) then they have $1,160 in each vehicle for labor.
How much are new vehicles costing these days?
If I made an error please correct it.

View Quote

Ford netted themselves $25 Billion for 2022, and sold 4.2 Million vehicles. That's about $6,000 profit per vehicle sold. If the average price of their vehicles is $50,000, those aren't exactly huge margins...
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 8:01:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
$200k to turn a screwdriver.
View Quote

let's do some maths

Currently, unionized factory workers at the Detroit car companies start at about $18 an hour. The top wage, achieved over a period of years, is about $32 an hour.

take the top $32 * .40 = 12.8

32+12.80 = $44.80

$44.80 * 40 = $1792 * 52 = $93,184

That seems fair for top pay assembly line workers.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 8:02:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I would imagine a few here are actual owners of corporations or llc's and sign people's paychecks. They did not apply for their jobs, they created their job. That's something most union members will never do nor understand.

Quoted:

They're certainly a motivated bunch.  

I'm quite certain that anyone that's managed a CFL, an In n Out, or a Quick Trip convenience store for at least a year could manage the massive corporation I work for better than the batch of C-Suite folks running it now.

Interesting comment, we hired a CFL manager into a management position to manage ~15 people full time about 7 months ago and the guy is excelling at the role.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 8:02:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Good, they should make a good wage...the products are cheaply made and have huge margins..they can pass someof that to the workers.

Maybe cut some of the other bullshit jobs in corporate
View Quote

They really don't have huge margins....

Sure, if you only consider the cost to build the car they might seem like good margins, but then there are these things called marketing, compliance costs, bullshit lawsuits, etc.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 8:04:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Doesnt seem unreasonable

Union gets most of that back in dues anyway
View Quote

Last time I checked, UAW dues were two hours pay per month.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 8:04:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

let's do some maths

Currently, unionized factory workers at the Detroit car companies start at about $18 an hour. The top wage, achieved over a period of years, is about $32 an hour.

take the top $32 * .40 = 12.8

32+12.80 = $44.80

$44.80 * 40 = $1792 * 52 = $93,184

That seems fair for top pay assembly line workers.
View Quote

And yet, nobody is chopping at the bit to offer them that much, or else they would take it. So maybe it's not quite so "fair" after all?

If $93,000 per year was truly the fair market value of their labor, then why hasn't somebody poached these people, already?

Why do they need the government to come in and force the employer to pay them more?
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 8:06:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 8:10:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top