Link Posted: 1/21/2022 5:24:22 PM EDT
[#1]
The need SkyBlue camo so they can blend into their environment
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 5:26:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It sure did.

Maintenance troops have been testing shorts on the ramp as a test. They like them in the summer.
View Quote

The Aussies that came out to initially recover us at Kangaroo '88 were all wearing shorts. They were also wearing t-shirts with the stripes printed on the sleeves, which I thought was a brilliant idea.

I asked one of their three-stripers (I was a Senior Airman too, so...) to help us with our bags. He smiled and walked off. A couple of their other guys walked over laughing and one of them told me I'd just asked their chief to carry our luggage. Their rank insignia is a just a little different from ours. Oops.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 5:26:43 PM EDT
[#3]
It's not a coverall, it's a Speed Suit.

Link Posted: 1/21/2022 5:29:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Thankfully, the real heroes missed all of the "woke" BS.

They would not be amused.

Link Posted: 1/21/2022 5:35:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Hugo Boss did it better when it came to Grey uniforms.
View Quote

Too soon.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 5:38:21 PM EDT
[#6]

You think those guys would have objected to mechanics wearing coveralls with name tapes and squadron insignia?
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 5:43:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That's the most sexless looking woman they could have picked to model their shitty overalls
View Quote

I bet that girl is hot as fuck in civilian clothes, and even hotter out of them on payday after twelve beers.

I can see her in my mind right now, getting dressed in my barracks room, early in the morning, trying to make it back to base housing in time to get her kids ready for school. That thigh gap! Damn.

Aahhh… the good old days.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 5:49:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That will make it harder to spot the maintainers fucking off as they will blend in better with the grey asphalt/cement of the flightline.
View Quote
I dunno, Mech Infantry, it was a common practice to craw under your track with a crescent wrench to take a nap in the only shady spot in the motorpool.  With the ramp and trim vane down, nobody could see you, any 0 or NCO would have to call out your name to find you, at which point you knock your wrench on something several times, or actually remove the round belly plate to show you were doing something.

Or so I have been told.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#9]
The Navy blue coveralls were the best working uniform I had in the military. They were light cotton and hid oil and grease well. These coveralls look thick and hot.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 5:56:03 PM EDT
[#10]
If I were a maintainer I'd hate them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 6:23:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks like a flight suit to give them a special feel, but in a color that won’t get the sky gods all bent out of shape.

An AirForce version of the Black Beret…
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#12]
If it were red, they could be a
Working for Gizmonics institute...
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 6:27:32 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

I foresee a lot of Yes sir in her future.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 6:29:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This isn’t any more dumb than drone pilots wearing a flight suit.

View Quote

What should we wear?

A suit and tie?
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 6:31:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What should we wear?

A suit and tie?
View Quote

Blues
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 6:33:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Blues
View Quote

Lol I don’t think I’ve worn blues in about a decade.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 6:34:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This isn’t any more dumb than drone pilots wearing a flight suit.

They should change the headwear though

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/56204/50576813-3520-4A59-B822-E45B67138D48_jpe-2248676.JPG
View Quote

they aren't through being cool yet...
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 6:49:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Notice the "mechanic's tool apron" visible on the guy standing on the main gear
https://i.postimg.cc/KY18KNLQ/72-DB1760-F8-F8-4463-A8-D6-209-C74391-C72.jpg
View Quote
Sage Green Herringbone Twill?
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thats how I felt about the USN utilities pre-blue digi camo.

And thus why I never joined the NWU bashing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh...other than showing every oil, grease, hydraulic fluid stain possible, I don't really see much wrong with it.
Does give off kind of a "look at me, I'm a felon" vibe, though.
Thats how I felt about the USN utilities pre-blue digi camo.

And thus why I never joined the NWU bashing.

IIRC, it was the surplus of dungaree uniforms that led to prisoners wearing them.  Both the Navy and Army were using them, first.  The Army's fatigue uniform until WWII was also denim.

Honestly, a non-camo uniform for work or fatigue duty makes a lot of sense.  Heck, outside of combat arms and combat support arms, I'm not sure why most need camo.

Link Posted: 1/21/2022 7:04:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The most common sense day-to-day uniform I've seen was what a few Navy guys I saw wearing at Norfolk maybe 13 years ago. Blue polo, slacks, ball cap. Office guys aren't suiting up to smoke terrorists or work on planes, it seems foolish to dress them like they are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why not just go with dickies wotk pant and shirt. Coveralls woupd be great for maintainers while actively working but other than that. Not so much.

The most common sense day-to-day uniform I've seen was what a few Navy guys I saw wearing at Norfolk maybe 13 years ago. Blue polo, slacks, ball cap. Office guys aren't suiting up to smoke terrorists or work on planes, it seems foolish to dress them like they are.

Some kind of service uniform makes sense for any activities that aren't work/fatigue/field/flight in nature.  Also much more presentable to the public.  It was once the norm.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Dumb.

What happened to the OD green issue coveralls?

I hated coveralls , if it was dirty work yeah but generally AC maintenance working without blouse was enough.

BDU were great compared to pickles as a work uniform. Short sleeve blouse was nice.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 7:29:50 PM EDT
[#22]
They look like bus drivers in their  dress uniform so.......
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:53:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Nice touch with the pinstripes.
But then the WWII marine uniforms for a while had a pinstripe type fabric
View Quote

They were a herringbone.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 10:04:31 PM EDT
[#24]
The problem with one piece coveralls is that you must either have a lot of slack above the waist or a lot of slack in the crouch so that you reach things up high. Those uniforms don’t look like they have either one. When you have a mixture of short torso and long torso people getting the right coverall is problematic.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 10:08:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It's all McPeak's fault.
View Quote

I concur.  Fucking hated him.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 10:30:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I remember when everyone just wore BDUs. All branches.

It worked pretty good.
View Quote

Pepperidge Farms remembers.  We looked like cohesive United States forces, somehow we still knew what service people belonged to, and most importatntly saluted those who needed it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 11:06:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Why can't they wear the same maintenance uniform that the Thunderbird and AF1 crews wear and call it good. It's bound to be more comfortable than this stuff and won't show as many stains. I'll bet they are less expensive too.

Link Posted: 1/21/2022 11:13:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Whom ever came up with that flight suit with epaulets and permanant creases needs a kick in the nuts. Very happy that it was a short lived item.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 11:17:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Looks like shit. Why not multicam coveralls that match other multicam utility uniforms. Classic AF move - put the maintainer class in something more appropriate for a mall janitor. So says an Army guy but WTF.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 11:24:38 PM EDT
[#30]
I’ll be shocked the first time I see someone wearing those for real.

They are fuck ugly and there are better options.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 11:31:38 PM EDT
[#31]
I’ve heard old timers talk about a cocksucker suit. I always wondered what it looked like.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 11:39:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
They can't even get matching caps?
View Quote

At least...
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 11:42:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Holdren is cute.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Holdren is cute.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 4:00:06 AM EDT
[#34]
I still have my dress blues complete with bus driver's cap.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 4:16:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Roger Wilco would be pleased.

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 5:02:46 AM EDT
[#36]
It's only a matter of time before another McPeak comes around
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I’ll be shocked the first time I see someone wearing those for real.

They are fuck ugly and there are better options.
View Quote

Not sure exactly what you meant..... The sage coveralls have been used for years, already in widespread use on the flightline (as well as the dark blue),  They color coordinate with the just retired ABU/ blue nametapes.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 5:46:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Aaaaannnd, now more SHARP training.

View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 5:47:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
And that Holdgren chick has the hate-filled eyes and thousand-yard trailer park stare that I find attractive in a junior enlisted females. At least until the first stabbing.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I bet that girl is hot as fuck in civilian clothes, and even hotter out of them on payday after twelve beers.

I can see her in my mind right now, getting dressed in my barracks room, early in the morning, trying to make it back to base housing in time to get her kids ready for school. That thigh gap! Damn.

Aahhh the good old days.
View Quote
*reaching for pleasure journal*
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 6:00:23 PM EDT
[#41]
I've said for a long, long time that there should be plain-color workwear uniforms as an alternative to camo field uniforms or dress uniforms across all the services.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 6:02:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Holdren is cute.
View Quote
Most of GD has bigger tits.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 7:08:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I've said for a long, long time that there should be plain-color workwear uniforms as an alternative to camo field uniforms or dress uniforms across all the services.
View Quote

I have several types of coveralls that have been issued to me over the years.  The best for the situation was the light tan Dickies that we used in CENTCOM during the summer.  The problem is that they don't count as uniforms so you have to wear a uniform for the start of shift and change back in at the end of the day.

In some areas we let the rules be played more loosely.  In PACOM last year our guys could wear shorts on the flight light but they could wear this "uniform" to and from work or around base.  Solution:  It was a t-shirt and shorts.  Guys just changed their shoes and untucked the shirt, suddenly it wasn't a uniform any more.  Other times it's not that easy.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 7:31:42 PM EDT
[#44]
As long as the maintainers like them, I don't see the problem.  

One of the recruiters in the office I contracted in ('84) was an air winger who maintained A4 Skyhawks.  He said they'd sew down the pockets and pocket flaps of their Vietnam-era ERDL utilities (blouse and trousers) so they wouldn't get caught on sharp corners and such and tear or rip as they did their thing on the aircraft.

These don't look terrible IMHO.  Hope they're loaded with pockets.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 8:40:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
.   WTF?      No way did that happen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The AF constantly wastes time and money on stupid uniform changes.

I was instrumental in stopping the blue flights suits back in the mid 1980s.

There was a program called Project Warrior to try to get all the shoe clerks to think like a warrior and at the same time a big push with testing of changing the green flight suits to a blue flight suit.

I was a 2nd Lt. We had 2 guys in the unit demoing the new blue flight suits.

Some 2 star showed up to see how the blue flight suits were working out

the 2 star wanted a newbie opinion. He brought me into a closed door room and told me to tell me what I thought, don't hold back, don't tell me what I want to hear, tell me what you think of the blue flight suits.

I told him that I didn't understand the reason, we have a project warrior program to try to get shoe clerks to think like a warrior and have the mentality of being part of the combat team and at the same time we take  actual warriors and make them look like they are selling ice cream for a living completely changing their combat uniform to a non-combat uniform. It's stupid.

30 days later, the blue flight suit program was cancelled

The USAF for some reason has a near constant desire to refocus away from combat ops and the mission and spend time and money changing uniforms and other stupid shit. I never understood it.
.   WTF?      No way did that happen.

It absolutely did
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 8:44:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Fantastic specimens that really show of the fighting shape or our armed forces!
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 8:45:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It's all McPeak's fault.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The AF constantly wastes time and money on stupid uniform changes.

I was instrumental in stopping the blue flights suits back in the mid 1980s.

There was a program called Project Warrior to try to get all the shoe clerks to think like a warrior and at the same time a big push with testing of changing the green flight suits to a blue flight suit.

I was a 2nd Lt. We had 2 guys in the unit demoing the new blue flight suits.

Some 2 star showed up to see how the blue flight suits were working out

the 2 star wanted a newbie opinion. He brought me into a closed door room and told me to tell me what I thought, don't hold back, don't tell me what I want to hear, tell me what you think of the blue flight suits.

I told him that I didn't understand the reason, we have a project warrior program to try to get shoe clerks to think like a warrior and have the mentality of being part of the combat team and at the same time we take  actual warriors and make them look like they are selling ice cream for a living completely changing their combat uniform to a non-combat uniform. It's stupid.

30 days later, the blue flight suit program was cancelled

The USAF for some reason has a near constant desire to refocus away from combat ops and the mission and spend time and money changing uniforms and other stupid shit. I never understood it.

It's all McPeak's fault.

There is a name I haven't hear in a while.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 8:48:35 PM EDT
[#48]
I like how the uniform has a shitload of patches that can snag on something in the aircraft and get torn off without the wearer noticing. Probably be harder to notice one missing when you're wearing eleventy billion of them.

ETA: I'm not an airplane mechanic, so maybe I'm full of shit, but back when the everything on the ACU was velcroed on, I was constantly snagging them and ripping them off working on trucks, so there's that.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 8:54:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Yikes
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Maybe this since they love wasting my fucking tax money.

Attachment Attached File
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top