Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 3:14:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

More than a simple license. The way it was explained to me in NYC was that there were a limited number of "Medallions" issued by the city government. They limited the number to nominally control the number of taxis congesting the streets. Once you bought the Medallion, you owned the right to operate a (single) taxi but here is the best part; they are transferable and do not expire. So, a few people (as well as a few petty government functionaries) became multi-millionaires by buying and leasing that right or selling for many times more than they paid. At one time, a single medallion required to operate a single taxi in NYC cost more than $1,000,000.
View Quote
Yup.  Investment Groups would pool money to buy Medallions because they were limited and a license to make money in a NY Cab owner because you can always sell it later for much more than you paid...  

Nowadays NYC Taxi Medallion values are said to have gone from $1,000,000+ to about $200,000 or so...
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 3:29:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Cab companies are being slaughtered by rideshare.  Most cabbies are azzwholes so I don't care.
View Quote
I personally hope this guy implodes and dives under a moving bus.

Link Posted: 4/25/2019 3:32:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Good, fuck NYC, anything that puts it one step closer to burning the fuck down is a good thing.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 3:35:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Adapt or die
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 3:37:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There's a few guilds I almost understand like law and medicine but the NYC cab drivers guild always struck me as bizarre.
View Quote
There's nothing bizarre about supply fixing.  DeBeers, OPEC, NYC taxi medallions, etc.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#6]
What's the cost of a taxi medallion?  That alone should drive people to go drive for Uber or Lyft.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 3:43:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I knew this one great yellow cab driver, Artie Decicco, his cab was always invariably sweet smelling. Unfortunately ICE got him.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 3:44:49 PM EDT
[#8]
So innovation has killed an aging investment...

Imagine that, plenty of businesses owners bought big businesses that isn't worth shit now.

Welcome to capitalism 101
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 3:50:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Because they are not taxis.  I can't just flag down an Uber.  I have to arrange the ride through the app.  It's really not even a subtle difference.  It's just that the phone app raised the convenience factor of the practice to the point it's not really much of a hassle now.  No I can't just jump into an Uber waiting outside a bar or venue and say "go here" but there are so many that any wait is minimal for the money saved.
View Quote
So taxis are for last minute poor planners and Uber is for people that plan ahead a bit.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 3:50:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Muh monopoly!
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 4:20:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Leaving Vegas now, used uber exclusively every time we are here and have never had a bad uber.  Last cab I was in the cabbie was foreignely talking shit because I didnt tip him for the 18$ 5 mins ride.  Fuck taxis.
View Quote
When we went to Vegas in November, and we exclusively used Uber for the week that we were there.
On average each ride for 4 of us was around $10 plus tip, and never had a bad experience.
When my wife and I went to Vegas in 2008, Uber didn't exist and we used the taxi's to get around and it was on average of $20 plus tip per ride for 2 of us, and 50/50 cabbies were rude as f.

Never going to use a taxi again.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 5:42:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I always hated how taxi cabs had a broken credit card machine.
View Quote
"Broken."  Suuure they were....
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 5:43:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
i remember that trick and i tell them that's all i have and all of the sudden it works
View Quote
It's a miracle!
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 5:46:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The system needed to change.  Now it is.

It's rare to see NYC make good decisions.
View Quote
It sure did.  The whole medallion system was a sham.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 5:47:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Why take a taxi when you can use a ride share company that doesn't require any special license, doesn't do a really good job checking drivers out, and can use a company that says they aren't in the transportation business when they get money from the interaction.   Plus with Uber, you have some stranger "rate" you, and if you don't tip enough, they give you a lousy rating.

I don't trust either company.  I especially don't like the idea of having my credit card and personal information on record just in case I might decide I want a ride some day.  With a taxi, sure it costs more, but I can pay cash for the ride.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 5:48:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 5:57:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I knew this one great yellow cab driver, Artie Decicco, his cab was always invariably sweet smelling. Unfortunately ICE got him.
View Quote
I got that reference!
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 6:11:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Well that is a shame.

No more drunken cab races through Manhattan at 1am.

Want to feel like you only have minutes to live? Be in a bar hopping group too big to fit in one cab, get two and tell the driver of your cab you have $20 for him if he beats the other cab to the destination, your friends in the other cab do the same.

Fun in the most scary sort of way.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 6:23:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Fuck cabbies because of their monopolies and high rates

Fuck Uber/Lyft for their slave wages and bullshit
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 6:26:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Cab companies are being slaughtered by rideshare.  Most cabbies are azzwholes so I don't care.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 6:31:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've used Uber a bunch and never had a bad experience and they get to my house much faster than a cab would.

I used Lyft once and didn't care for the driver.  He was yakking on the phone the entire time, bragging to some girl how he was an IT god.  Never said "hello" or "googbye" and managed to drop me at the wrong address.
View Quote
You'll get the ride you paid for even if it is to the wrong place.
As a former driver I'll tell you, it is your responsibility to insure the pickup marker and dropoff are at the right location.

You also need to keep in mind that you cannot change the drop off point while on a Pool ride.  Which means you need to call for a new ride.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 6:35:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
hey cabbies, investing in a business is no guarantee of success.

download the app and get to ubering, or find something else to do. the writing is on the wall.
View Quote
Heck.  Cabbies should use the Uber app. Then they have 2 sources for fares.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 6:37:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So a medallion is basically a license to be a taxi driver, but Uber drivers don't need medallions to operate what is essentially the same service?
View Quote
Yeah and the history of NYC medallions is worth looking into. One of the convictions Cohen caught was for tax evasion and bank fraud related to his medallion business. It used to be that the medallions were a license to print money. They were often awarded through complex payola/patronage schemes. To payback their backer, the medallion owner would often skim on their tax bill and cut repair costs on their vehicles. It’s a fascinating piece of old time corruption.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 6:43:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Taxis are slow to arrive unless scheduled ahead of time and far more expensive.

I've used uber a number of times and the people have always been nice and the cars have always been clean and show up quickly or will tell you if they are stuck in traffic.

Seems like when gov gets involved, prices go up needlessly... who would've thought.

In Austin, uber/lyft were banned for a few months, and DWI rose 40%. Once they were back in town the DWI dropped more than 40%. No one wants to use a taxi anymore.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 6:49:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Fuck cabbies because of their monopolies and high rates

Fuck Uber/Lyft for their slave wages and bullshit
View Quote
so uber/lyft drivers are forced to drive for them?
Or are only monetarily ignorant people driving for them, albeit willingly?
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 7:12:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Good, fuck NYC, anything that puts it one step closer to burning the fuck down is a good thing.
View Quote

Yeah fuck it burn the whole city down. Fuck all those people that travel from all over the country and the world to get medical treatment here. And fuck all that cancer and medical research that happens here.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 7:17:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So a medallion is basically a license to be a taxi driver, but Uber drivers don't need medallions to operate what is essentially the same service?
View Quote
You cannot hail an uber. I mean, stand on the side of the road and wave them down.

That's all a medallion allows.

A medallion is on the vehicle, not the driver, btw. The thing is, they were artificially limited in number, so they were artificially overpriced. People took out million dollar+ loans to buy a medallion, certain the value would never drop.

They were wrong.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 7:17:34 PM EDT
[#28]
The NYC taxi industry bribed and grafted its way into a monopoly, and the market outsmarted them with technology.

ZFG.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 7:22:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The NYC taxi industry bribed and grafted its way into a monopoly, and the market outsmarted them with technology.

ZFG.
View Quote
Sweet and succinct.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 7:39:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Last taxi i ever used was from the airport in Columbia, Mo to town, back 10 years ago.  Dude shows up 45 minutes after the call. I'm charged $17.50 for the short ride in a filthy, smelly car. The 400 lb driver looked like he was adhered to the seat with a crust of dried soda and crumbs.

Last taxi driver i saw stopped his ride in the no parking concourse access, looked like a member of ISIS and was doing his morning prayer on the sidewalk. This was in Birmingham, Al.

I could give a rat's ass to what happens to that industry.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 7:43:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Not quite the same, in NYC only a yellow cab with a medallion can pick up a curbside hail. "Black"  cars, eg limo services, have to be arranged pickups. Uber changed the game in the arranged pickup part of the business.

Edit, in practical terms calling for Uber is very similar to a curbside hail, but the subtlety is worth a lot of money in the cab business.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not quite the same, in NYC only a yellow cab with a medallion can pick up a curbside hail. "Black"  cars, eg limo services, have to be arranged pickups. Uber changed the game in the arranged pickup part of the business.

Edit, in practical terms calling for Uber is very similar to a curbside hail, but the subtlety is worth a lot of money in the cab business.
And the Uber is so easy to use and you can cancel the ride if his name is Mohammed

not wacist
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:30:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Those cab drivers apparently hate capitalism, and are angry someone has come in and busted up their monopoly.
View Quote
No. What they are angry about is that they followed the rules set up by city government that limits competition. Cabbies did not create the rules, but they were required to follow them.

Then, a new gypsy cab outfit sneaks into town, buys the right influence, and begins operating outside of and exempt from most of the rules. The city did nothing about it until it was too late, so now the cabbies have to suffer because of governmental incompetence. IMO, they have a legitimate beef.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:32:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Of what importance is that?
View Quote
He responded to someone who called it rideshare. It isn't. The driver is not sharing his car with you. He is renting the car and his services to you, exactly as a cabbie does. Call it what it is: a gypsy cab.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:36:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

@maggiethecat

From what I understand, you don't have exclusive rights to where the ride goes.  It may already have a passenger going your way, and may stop there before it gets to your destination.

A cab, you're "renting" a shitty limo driver exclusively for the duration of the trip, cab can't stop and pick up more on the way, etc.

So, you're sharing the ride with wherever the driver happens to be going ,and anybody else along with him, there may or may not be others in the car, but it's not guaranteed.

The difference is in the definition, not in practice, for legal reasons exactly like the medallion.  Uber started because of medallion in NYC, prototyped/tested in San Francisco 2008/2009, then opened in NYC in 2010/2011.
View Quote
If you select Lyft Line or Uber Poopl, you may be sharing the ride with another customer, but the driver is hiring himself and car to the both of you, just as a cab does. If you select Uber X or regular Lyft, you are renting the whole car.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:37:21 PM EDT
[#35]
the guy at 0:15 says he paid $57k in the early 80s for his medallion, but today he owes $250k for it.
Loans against trade-able assets are not for risk-adverse investors.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:38:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Idk. I like the $55 flat rate to JFK
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:39:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Vancouver BC?  Uber isn't in Vancouver, the taxi mafia has full control and Uber has not been able to gain entry there.
View Quote
Washington..across the river from portland
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:40:59 PM EDT
[#38]
From what I understand a medallion in New York City cost over $1 million. Jews would buy them and rent them out since they were a limited number. They would rent them for 8% interest.

The price has plunged in the last dozen years. It is unfortunate but several of the cabi owners who bought those medallions have committed suicide due to loss.

My seventh grade social studies teacher asked does change bring progress or progress bring change? Obviously the taxicab drivers never figured this out.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:41:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
No. What they are angry about is that they followed the rules set up by city government that limits competition. Cabbies did not create the rules, but they were required to follow them.

Then, a new gypsy cab outfit sneaks into town, buys the right influence, and begins operating outside of and exempt from most of the rules. The city did nothing about it until it was too late, so now the cabbies have to suffer because of governmental incompetence. IMO, they have a legitimate beef.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those cab drivers apparently hate capitalism, and are angry someone has come in and busted up their monopoly.

Black cars ("livery services") have operated that way in NYC for 50 years, without medallions as they do not pick up hailed rides.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:43:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
this is what i dont understand either. basically you wanted to be a taxi driver, you had to have the medallion. i assume this is a law or ordinance.

so how do uber and lyft get over that restriction?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
this is what i dont understand either. basically you wanted to be a taxi driver, you had to have the medallion. i assume this is a law or ordinance.

so how do uber and lyft get over that restriction?
They bought politicians and corrupted language.

Originally ride sharing was "Hey, I'm heading to JFK, anyone else need a ride to the airport and want to chip in a few bucks for gas and tolls?" Then people started doing that sort of thing full time, for profit  and it mutated into a full fledged taxi service while still being called "ride sharing"
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:44:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

so uber/lyft drivers are forced to drive for them?
Or are only monetarily ignorant people driving for them, albeit willingly?
View Quote
Not forced to drive. But, yes, the monetarily ignorant.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:45:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:54:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Ive read that too - one million dollars.  Crazy.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
More than a simple license. The way it was explained to me in NYC was that there were a limited number of "Medallions" issued by the city government. They limited the number to nominally control the number of taxis congesting the streets. Once you bought the Medallion, you owned the right to operate a (single) taxi but here is the best part; they are transferable and do not expire. So, a few people (as well as a few petty government functionaries) became multi-millionaires by buying and leasing that right or selling for many times more than they paid. At one time, a single medallion required to operate a single taxi in NYC cost more than $1,000,000.
Ive read that too - one million dollars.  Crazy.  
Almost as crazy as the hotdog cart locations.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:00:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Black cars ("livery services") have operated that way in NYC for 50 years, without medallions as they do not pick up hailed rides.

Kharn
View Quote
Black cars are many times more expensive than cabs and thus are not really competition for cabs. Ubers/Lyfts are less than half the cost of a cab and are definitely competition for cabs. Not all cabs are hailed. Many, maybe most, are called in, just like an Uber/Lyft.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:01:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

My statement was the legal explanation a local newspaper described, paraphrased from my bad memory, when uber wanted to start up here and there were big arguments over it.  I don't know if they did or not, or what the result was, I think we have some form of uber and lyft now, 5 years later.

It seems their legal definition of "what they do" changes a little bit depending on the city / state they want to be active in.  I don't know if that means they have slightly different agreements with drivers in different areas or if it is just "say it's this, and practice that, can't be distinguished" sort of thing.

I'd like to see the actual definitions legally for the different areas, I don't imagine they're very concise.
View Quote
Uber/Lyft lie to get a foothold. Never believe anything they say.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:01:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
He responded to someone who called it rideshare. It isn't. The driver is not sharing his car with you. He is renting the car and his services to you, exactly as a cabbie does. Call it what it is: a gypsy cab.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of what importance is that?
That's fine by me. We'll call them a gypsy cab company then. Doesn't matter one bit because the point is that when I need a ride I'll call them (whatever name you want) and not some shitty cab. Lyft/Uber is an all around superior product at a better price. I'll call them every time.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:04:58 PM EDT
[#47]
I use the shit out of Uber when I'm out of town and when I'm in town shuttling my vehicles to the shop or whatever.

Fuck Yellow Cab.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:06:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Be forewarned that without taxi drivers, we wouldn’t have this gold.

Best Of Louie De Palma / Danny DeVito Volume One Taxi 1978 - 1983

Best Of Louie De Palma - Danny DeVito Volume Two Taxi 1978 - 1983
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:19:31 PM EDT
[#49]
All the cabs around here are also hot-seating for Lyft and Uber. Seems to work out for them.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:20:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Not all cabs are hailed. Many, maybe most, are called in, just like an Uber/Lyft.
View Quote
Incorrect.
More are hailed. Many spool up at Grand Central Station / Penn Station.

Yellow cans have not had radios for a while - or if they do, I have not seen them used in 30 years.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top