Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 12:15:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I would spend the rest of that flight getting epically shitfaced.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 12:17:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Captain looks in the back and all the passengers are floating in zero g.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 12:19:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Happened to my cousin Walter once.
View Quote

Jesus Christ Gil.  There’s some things you don’t talk about,
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 12:20:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Spitballing here… Did they accidentally spin the baro knob instead of the heading or altitude knob? That might have given a false altimeter reading to ADS-B.
View Quote

Transponders report uncorrected altitude and in ADS-B’s case also GNSS altitude.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 12:23:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Wee Too Low
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 12:32:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Transponders report uncorrected altitude and in ADS-B’s case also GNSS altitude.
View Quote

Got it, I don’t know how it works, just that it works.

Link Posted: 2/14/2023 12:32:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Damn.

I’ve been on some rough flights in my life but that would’ve been nuts.

We did a touch & go landing in CO. Springs a few years back, that was memorable & definitely had a little pucker factor. Pilot came on & said the wind had shifted & we would be taking her out & bringing her back.

Saw a flight attendant thrown to the floor & crawl several rows of seats to an empty aisle seat, climb in & buckle herself down tight once. Also flying into COS on another occasion.

Link Posted: 2/14/2023 12:41:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Microburst?
View Quote

Quoted:

Radar is supposed to be able to pick those up.
View Quote

Microburst would be my first guess.

Radar does not pick them up very well at all.  Some airports (DFW for one) have a pretty advanced windshear detection system but most do not.

What is strange is that there isn't any statement specifically about this.  If it was a microburst/windshear encounter it should have been well documented and reported on.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 12:44:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Word on the street is a flaps retraction all the way to 0 when pilot flying called for them to be retracted from 20 to 5.

I’m sure the weather didn’t help things either.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 12:51:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Spitballing here… Did they accidentally spin the baro knob instead of the heading or altitude knob? That might have given a false altimeter reading to ADS-B.
View Quote

Unlikely, the two controls are very far apart on the glare shield.

Also not sure it would register that quickly through ADS-B as they would notice it right away and return to proper setting.  It would take a large adjustment on the bar to account for the altitude loss.

Link Posted: 2/14/2023 1:09:14 AM EDT
[#11]
A dive like that did not exceed the safe limits of the airframe and did not require a turn around?
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 1:13:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Get used to this…and that near miss in Austin.

Standards are dropping in everything from lawyers and doctors to special forces. Have to assume no industry is immune.
View Quote

Standards?
Flight crew had nearly 25 THOUSAND hours between them, per the article.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 5:12:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Word on the street is a flaps retraction all the way to 0 when pilot flying called for them to be retracted from 20 to 5.

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/14/2023 5:17:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Standards?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Standards are dropping in everything from lawyers and doctors to special forces. Have to assume no industry is immune.

Standards?

It's possible the captain had the vast majority of that time with an inexperienced first officer. That scenario is happening more and more these days. For the first time ever, the air line I work for is having new hire first officers assigned Airbus 330 as their first aircraft. Hell, we've had some new pilots make 767/757 captain inside of 6 months. It's nuts out there.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 5:21:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Anyone know if the 777 has an MCAS system like like 737 Max?
View Quote

Yes. All Boeing airplanes all the way back to the B-17 have that system.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 5:54:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I saw a 777 Capt in a You Tube post, said something to the effect of "this looks like a stall upon slat retraction during climbout......the margin is only 5kts".  

I know we have some Airline Captains here, would like to know their thoughts.  Maybe another MCAS type scenario?
View Quote

well that's some shitty fucking engineering.

fucking Boeing....I swear
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 5:56:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Passenger onboard terrifying United Airlines flight that nose-dived 1,400ft during epic storm describes people 'screaming' as plane came within FIVE SECONDS of hitting Pacific Ocean: 'You’re gripping the seat and praying under your breath'

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2023/02/13/15/67635607-11745001-image-a-1_1676301533093.jpg

Providing his personal account of the experience - which went unreported until this week - the father-of-two told CNN he initially thought the turbulence was normal, but as other passengers' screams became more pronounced, he soon realized something was wrong.

'It felt like you were climbing to the top of a roller coaster,' Williams said, telling the outlet the he noticed the plane had dipped at a ‘concerning rate’ for several seconds.

'It was at that point,' he said.

It was at this point, Williams said, that passengers who at first tried to remain calm began to panic.

'There were a number of screams on the plane,' the Columbus, Ohio, realtor recalled. 'Everybody knew that something was out of the ordinary, or at least that this was not normal.'

Still, the dutiful dad - scared-stiff himself - tried to keep his cool in the presence of his wide and children.

'You’re trying your best to maintain your composure – there’s obviously kids on the flight. nobody really knows what’s going on,' Williams said, before adding, 'but at the same time, you’re concerned. You don’t know if this is an issue.'

'It was certainly out of the ordinary.'

About ten minutes later, and there was an announcement that assured the passengers the event had passed.

'Someone from the cockpit got on the intercom and said, "Alright, folks, you probably felt a couple G’s on that one, but everything’s gonna be OK,' said Williams, who is the first passenger to provide a personal account of the incident.

'"We’re gonna be alright,"' Williams credited the United staffer saying.

Continued
View Quote

lmaooooooooo wtf is that graphic? 777-200 climing at 8600 ft per min? HOLY SHIT they must have solid rocket boosters on that model!!!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 5:57:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pilot thought he was back in a 172?
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 6:04:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I saw a 777 Capt in a You Tube post, said something to the effect of "this looks like a stall upon slat retraction during climbout......the margin is only 5kts".  

I know we have some Airline Captains here, would like to know their thoughts.  Maybe another MCAS type scenario?

Boeing is a "pilot's" plane. If the pilot calls for something, the Boeing doth giveth. So when the pilot calls for a flight control change that drastically reduces lift then the plane allows it and becomes a passenger to the laws of physics just like all the meatbags it's transporting. 99.99% of the time it works all the time. The question shouldn't be "how much do you trust Boeing", rather "how much do you trust your pilots".
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 6:07:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Boeing is a "pilot's" plane. If the pilot calls for something, the Boeing doth giveth. So when the pilot calls for a flight control change that drastically reduces lift then the plane allows it and becomes a passenger to the laws of physics just like all the meatbags it's transporting. 99.99% of the time it works all the time. The question shouldn't be "how much do you trust Boeing", rather "how much do you trust your pilots".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s going to be interesting to see how automated their next clean sheet design is.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 7:06:43 AM EDT
[#21]
From the airline that promised to hire minorities and women as 50% of new hires if I remember correctly. Not sure if they included the whole transgender thing.

Pilots, ATC, doctors, astronauts, police, firemen…….just hire the most qualified.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 7:48:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

lmaooooooooo wtf is that graphic? 777-200 climing at 8600 ft per min? HOLY SHIT they must have solid rocket boosters on that model!!!!
View Quote

we took off of KWI-- FULL 777 plane of troops, and three, 80lb bags each....thing took off and climbed like it wasnt even trying.

Link Posted: 2/14/2023 7:55:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Pilots better hope there was documented weather that could have caused that.

Pilot flying should have been on instruments but both should have noticed the rapid  loss of positive rate. If they didn't, their passengers sure fucking did lol.
View Quote

This is a retarded post.

The FDR will easily show if this was a pilot induced situation or weather related.

Let me guess, new PPL, got about 150 hours?
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 7:58:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

ADS-B gets its information from the Air Data Computer. Altimeter setting doesn’t do a damn thing to ADS-B altimeter transmission.

JFC did all the flight sim guys hop into this thread at once?
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 8:07:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

ADS-B gets its information from the Air Data Computer. Altimeter setting doesn’t do a damn thing to ADS-B altimeter transmission.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bro I've been playing Flight Simulator since 1998.

I'm smarter than you.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 8:10:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It's possible the captain had the vast majority of that time with an inexperienced first officer. That scenario is happening more and more these days. For the first time ever, the air line I work for is having new hire first officers assigned Airbus 330 as their first aircraft. Hell, we've had some new pilots make 767/757 captain inside of 6 months. It's nuts out there.
View Quote

Ok, so playing along.

Even if the copilot had a measly 500 hours,  isn't that enough for basic competence?
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 8:24:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Ok, so playing along.

Even if the copilot had a measly 500 hours,  isn't that enough for basic competence?
View Quote

Of course it is.

There is no amount of flight time that makes one immune to errors in perception, decisionmaking, or execution of tasks.

Highly competent, well trained, and proficient pilots make errors of varying magnitudes daily, on every flight.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 8:28:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This was really kept quiet.
View Quote

Which is why I don't think it was what it appears to be meaning it wasn't that bad and or there was some anomaly in the tech not the reality of flying.

I know enough (and sadly fly enough) to know that sort of event would be felt and the entire plane worth of people including flight attendants might have um, not liked it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 8:29:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
we took off of KWI-- FULL 777 plane of troops, and three, 80lb bags each....thing took off and climbed like it wasnt even trying.
View Quote

It wasn't climbing at 8,000'/min in any normal climb profile.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 8:31:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Ok, so playing along.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, so playing along.

I think both Air France and Atlas mishaps - among others too I’m sure, but those are the two that I can think of easily off the top of my head - demonstrated that this isn’t necessarily the case.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 9:06:45 AM EDT
[#31]
QR161 operating Doha to Copenhagen on 10 January 2023

Seems like a pattern... who wrote the software?

https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/qatar-airways-flight-787-loses-height-after-take-off/

MCAS isn't used on either of the affected models, only the 737. They do probably have AOA sensors though.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/faa-cautions-airlines-on-maintenance-of-sensors-that-were-key-to-737-max-crashes/

Link Posted: 2/14/2023 10:02:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not a flight sim guy. In fact I’m a current military pilot.

ADS-B wasn’t a thing yet when I went through flight school, and in all the years after, not once have I been asked on a check ride how it works, and never cared to find out on my own. I’m humble enough to admit I didn’t know.

Just trying to find a plausible explanation of why there was flight data that would’ve been a significant emotional event for everyone on board and nobody said a word.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 10:07:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
QR161 operating Doha to Copenhagen on 10 January 2023

Seems like a pattern... who wrote the software?

https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/qatar-airways-flight-787-loses-height-after-take-off/

MCAS isn't used on either of the affected models, only the 737. They do probably have AOA sensors though.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/faa-cautions-airlines-on-maintenance-of-sensors-that-were-key-to-737-max-crashes/

View Quote

The QR flight was spatial disorientation by the FO. Captain identified and recovered.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 10:12:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This is a retarded post.

The FDR will easily show if this was a pilot induced situation or weather related.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pilot flying should have been on instruments but both should have noticed the rapid  loss of positive rate. If they didn't, their passengers sure fucking did lol.

This is a retarded post.

Article clearly stated that because they continued on with the flight which was over two hours in length, the data from the incident would have been overwritten.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 10:19:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Article clearly stated that because they continued on with the flight which was over two hours in length, the data from the incident would have been overwritten.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a retarded post.

CVR will have been overwritten but the FDR - as n20junkie said - would still have had everything for this flight.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Let me paraphrase.  We are going third world.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 10:36:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

And it happened over a month ago. And nobody onboard said a word about it at the time. No vertical video. No tweets. No interviews at the destination from panicked passengers.

Three G’s is no shit. People don’t just roll with it like light turbulence.

Why didn’t anyone say anything?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From -g to 2.7g. Sounds like a hell of a ride.

And it happened over a month ago. And nobody onboard said a word about it at the time. No vertical video. No tweets. No interviews at the destination from panicked passengers.

Three G’s is no shit. People don’t just roll with it like light turbulence.

Why didn’t anyone say anything?

Because every person in the back was still belted in and they don't know anything about anything.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
CVR will have been overwritten but the FDR - as n20junkie said - would still have had everything for this flight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a retarded post.

The FDR on my jet will hold about 100 hours of data, which gets downloaded for engine trend analysis.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 10:58:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm glad that I am not the only one that has noticed this.

Folks, we had peak civilization in the US about a decade ago.

Now, after decades of lowered or nonexistent standards, you can expect more building and bridge collapses, more airliner crashes, and just more stuff that doesn't work well or run smoothly.

I predict that the overall airliner safety statistics will continually get worse, and will never again regain their peak levels for the forseeable future.  
(until they start enforcing standards again and hiring based on merit)

I used to work in testing industrial products - things have really gone downhill.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:00:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well since I am a student pilots, I get to interact with other student pilots. They are mostly younger dudes trying to fly commerically. They are fairly retarded,  Now you see why I like Airbus
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:05:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah man initial climb out is gonna be like 3000 ft min, which is nice....but 8500 ft min...

Even a lear 24, climbed out at 6500 ft min and that's like the big dick swinger in the civilian world of aircraft climb performance.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:14:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The QR flight was spatial disorientation by the FO. Captain identified and recovered.
View Quote

How do you get a spatial disorientation from numbers in front of you without being drunk? I mean I frequently check my mph vs my rpm whilst driving, and I don't have to deal with gravity objecting to me being there.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:15:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To add to Vne’s point, the flap lever has a physical “gate” at the Flaps 5 position (75/76, 777 may be different) that must be maneuvered through specifically to prevent this type of incident. No level of engineering is going to overcome a dedicated moron from doing what he wants to do.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:17:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nice.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:20:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

How do you get a spatial disorientation from numbers in front of you without being drunk? I mean I frequently check my mph vs my rpm whilst driving, and I don't have to deal with gravity objecting to me being there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a well known phenomenon.  Sometimes it takes very little to fool your mind and body into experiencing two completely different things and going into "disagree" mode.  Ever try to read a book in a car as a passenger, then suddenly turn your head to grab your drink without looking outside while changing direction?
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:28:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It is a well known phenomenon.  Sometimes it takes very little to fool your mind and body into experiencing two completely different things and going into "disagree" mode.  Ever try to read a book in a car as a passenger, then suddenly turn your head to grab your drink without looking outside while changing direction?
View Quote

I haven't, but I'm usually driving and they'd probably frown upon it.... unless it's a tesla of course.

I looked it up..  
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:34:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

yeah man initial climb out is gonna be like 3000 ft min, which is nice....but 8500 ft min...

Even a lear 24, climbed out at 6500 ft min and that's like the big dick swinger in the civilian world of aircraft climb performance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been on an almost empty 737 that had an extremely impressive takeoff and climbout.  
I think the pilots took advantage of the situation.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:42:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I've been on an almost empty 737 that had an extremely impressive takeoff and climbout.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We left an airshow with only 30k of fuel and shot off like a rocket.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:50:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Our society is collapsing, every institution lost and everything is now an increased risk or flat out trying to kill you.

In this new normal even mistakes that are occurring at the same rate as previous are part of the chaos and we question the cause.

Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Oh right a 777-200 fell at 8,000+ FPS from 2300’ AGL and recovered. Riiight. Plus none of the passengers told anyone.
View Quote

Exactly.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top