Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Shit... my cousin works for UP on those trains in that area, IIRC. I can't recall if he makes it that far east...
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#2]
The section of track where the derailment happened is considered mountain grade territory.  Which basically means, the heavier your train is the slower speed it is restricted to. The runaway should have only been doing about 20-25 mph.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 9:33:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 9:35:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Not gonna lie, my first thought when I read the thread title :

Link Posted: 10/5/2018 11:48:56 PM EDT
[#5]
What kind of power was this train packing?
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 12:15:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Question: Is this company union?
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 1:12:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Question: Is this company union?
View Quote
Fucking seriously? Choke yourself with a dildo.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 1:16:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Holy cow.

I lived about a mile away from there a few years ago.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 2:25:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Possibly relevant: at Wall Street's urging, UP was adopting CSX's (disastrous) "precision scheduled railroading".

http://cs.trains.com/trn/f/111/t/272052.aspx

From the comments:

"Based on the webcast this morning, I wouldn't hold my breath.  Everything boiled down to longer trains with less HP per ton, less locomotives, less T&E personnel, less managers, and more road trains stopping to block swap."

So if they were running this train with fewer locomotives than before, might be the root cause of the wreck: too much train, not enough engines.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 5:47:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Three locomotives. All on the head end. ES44AC, AC4400 and an SD70M
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 6:05:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn, sorry about your friend.

Those are all fairly new(er) locomotives that have crew survivablity in crashes but at 51 mph I guess there's only so much safety that can take place with that much weight behind you.

Sorry for your loss my friend.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 6:08:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Pissed away the air
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 6:17:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Possibly relevant: at Wall Street's urging, UP was adopting CSX's (disastrous) "precision scheduled railroading".

http://cs.trains.com/trn/f/111/t/272052.aspx

From the comments:

"Based on the webcast this morning, I wouldn't hold my breath.  Everything boiled down to longer trains with less HP per ton, less locomotives, less T&E personnel, less managers, and more road trains stopping to block swap."

So if they were running this train with fewer locomotives than before, might be the root cause of the wreck: too much train, not enough engines.
View Quote
There’s video of a UP Passenger train going through Deshler, OH (CSX) touring the lines. Cindy Sandborne Express!

I hope the deceased crew members’ families of the UP train can find peace and comfort soon. Railroads are putting profits ahead of safety nationwide right now trying to keep up with CSX.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 6:42:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Another update on the runaway. The train was the MGRCY 04. Manifest train from Green River WY to Cheyenne WY built on 10/4/18. With three locomotives UP 5412, UP 5842 and UP 5003 hauling 76 loads 10 empties 9935 tons 5627 feet. The train picked up an additional 19 loads in Laramie making it 95 loads 10 empties 12417 tons 6581 feet. It rear ended the MPCNP 03. Manifest train from Pocatello ID to North Platte NE built on 10/3/18.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 6:45:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Pissed away the air
View Quote
it's hard to imagine guys doing this, but it still happens. it's called "dump and jump" for a reason, not dump and pray it slows down eventually.  i was in st. paul yard the night the bnsf dropped train 144 into the yard, as a run-away. a pinched air hose prevented an emergency application, due to a non functioning 2-way on the rear of the train. we were sure the kid pissed the air away, but he hadn't. it's a hell of a sight, watching a train come to a sudden, violent stop from 54 mph. thoughts and prayers to our lost brothers, and their families and coworkers.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 6:49:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Sad. Sorry OP.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 7:45:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Prayers for those involved and for the deceased.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 7:45:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

There’s video of a UP Passenger train going through Deshler, OH (CSX) touring the lines. Cindy Sandborne Express!

I hope the deceased crew members’ families of the UP train can find peace and comfort soon. Railroads are putting profits ahead of safety nationwide right now trying to keep up with CSX.
View Quote
Hunter Harrison was the worst thing ever to happen to railroading. Customers are bailing on CSX left and right. Quick profits are more important than safety and longevity I guess.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 8:26:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

it's hard to imagine guys doing this, but it still happens. it's called "dump and jump" for a reason, not dump and pray it slows down eventually.  i was in st. paul yard the night the bnsf dropped train 144 into the yard, as a run-away. a pinched air hose prevented an emergency application, due to a non functioning 2-way on the rear of the train. we were sure the kid pissed the air away, but he hadn't. it's a hell of a sight, watching a train come to a sudden, violent stop from 54 mph. thoughts and prayers to our lost brothers, and their families and coworkers.
View Quote
The noise cars make as they couple just from kicking will wake you right up. I can't imagine what that must have sounded like!
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 9:05:43 AM EDT
[#20]
an lmx ge b40-8 actually went airborne, and landed ahead of the lead unit, remaining upright in the process. imagine a 30 second long continuous coupling sound (with the volume set to 11), followed by dead silence. then the yelling starts. my biggest fear on the job, is the other guy not getting stopped where/where he's supposed to, and taking me out along with the rest of us.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 9:07:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Sorry for your loss. My dad retired from a different railroad
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 9:31:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's Wall Street chasing the lowest possible operating ratio at the expense of everything else. CEO's adopt "precision BS railroading" or are forced out by "activist investors / hedge funds" who install Hunter Harrison clones. The railroads get gutted, customers get driven off and safety goes out the window, but the stock price goes up. At that point the "activist investors" cut and run, leaving the carcass to rot.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 9:59:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It's Wall Street chasing the lowest possible operating ratio at the expense of everything else. CEO's adopt "precision BS railroading" or are forced out by "activist investors / hedge funds" who install Hunter Harrison clones. The railroads get gutted, customers get driven off and safety goes out the window, but the stock price goes up. At that point the "activist investors" cut and run, leaving the carcass to rot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep pretty much, I work for UP and even though we are having high numbers of car moved, work pace dropped off after they announced the switch in strategy.  Hope the family sues all the short term profits away from the activist investors.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Hell on Wheels. Blame Cullen Bohanan.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 10:42:49 AM EDT
[#25]
It'd be interesting to hear the radio comms of this incident.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 12:30:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No, I think it would be messed up hearing a crew panicking and knowing that they're about to die.

Plus I wouldn't put it past the railroad to knowingly run them into the back of that other train to stop them. Wouldn't be the first time that its happened.
View Quote
Why would they want to do that? I don't have much faith in corporations to do the right thing, but I just don't see why they would want to cause such a wreck. Are you thinking such a thing would just be to avoid a worst wreck down the road with more liability?

I don't suspect that is the case here I'm just curious what your comment is about.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 12:35:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
No, I think it would be messed up hearing a crew panicking and knowing that they're about to die.

Plus I wouldn't put it past the railroad to knowingly run them into the back of that other train to stop them. Wouldn't be the first time that its happened.
View Quote
Not really wanting to hear the crew panic, interested in hearing the traffic leading up to the crash and what exactly they were told to do.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 12:45:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Another update on the runaway. The train was the MGRCY 04. Manifest train from Green River WY to Cheyenne WY built on 10/4/18. With three locomotives UP 5412, UP 5842 and UP 5003 hauling 76 loads 10 empties 9935 tons 5627 feet. The train picked up an additional 19 loads in Laramie making it 95 loads 10 empties 12417 tons 6581 feet. It rear ended the MPCNP 03. Manifest train from Pocatello ID to North Platte NE built on 10/3/18.
View Quote
A little over 1 hp/t. Is that normal? Sounds really underpowered for a train out west.

Forgive me, I'm just a real casual railfan.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 12:45:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 12:50:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's not just railroads which are feeling the impact of the current business climate's management/investment methods...but a tech company's server products typically don't kill people when they jump their metaphorical rails.

Due to this, I think the railroad industry is going to get even more government jammed up its collective backside in the form of additional regulations.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 3:28:05 PM EDT
[#32]
RR's are arrogant beasts...

There is a natural spring encroaching on the mainline near the Salton Sea,   UP evidently decided a giant steel plate would divert the water from the tracks....they got a giant sinkhole the other day instead....  RR's are so used to thumbing their nose at everyone that they tried it with Mother Nature......but in the end she has the ultimate eminent domain trump card...

Stopped all traffic for about 12-16 hours until the could get a shoefly in place....

but fuck it,   with the held away it was about a $1300 round trip
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 3:41:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
They would crash it into the back of another train to keep it from being a bigger mess down the line. That train is a manifest train and carries all types of freight including some very hazardous materials.

Better to wreck it in a place that doesn't have that many people, houses, businesses... yeah, it will keep any further costs down from the derailment.

A couple of guys I work with were coming down the Cajon Pass on the BNSF tracks. Something similar happened to them, one of our managers told the BNSF dispatcher to run them into the back of the train stopped a few miles ahead of them.

The dispatcher told the manager to F.O. as he wasn't going to have that on his head! The dispatcher routed them through everything to the bottom of the hill and they got the train stopped.
So yeah, you didn't hear about it because they lived and there was no derailment.

These are just a couple incidents, more have happened, the RR's are masters of keeping most of them quiet.  
View Quote
I can imagine that after that spell of runaways and crashes they had on Cajon in the early 1990s that BNSF folks brainstormed all manner of ways to try and route the runaways down the pass.  BNSF lost two trains and two crewmembers with three more seriously injured and I'm sure the dispatchers do not want to lose anyone else they know.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 3:41:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Traffic is up,   everything is under powered save for UPS trains,  UP is cutting Carmen,  the remaining ones are being pressured to rush required Air Break tests etc...

shenanigans....
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 7:16:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 7:30:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Juan,
I heard about the natural spring there at Wister broke loose and almost swallowed the mainline! They've been working on that for months, guess their plan didn't work!

Now they'll have to speed up building the bridge over it, not that U.P. is paying for it! They got it declared an emergency so that tax payers money would pay for all of it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/6/2018 7:32:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Cheyenne up to no good again?
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 8:07:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm sure they have top people working on it.....top people  
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 8:16:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Whenever I have an enroute problem and require over the radio mechanical assistance from Omaha and they're reading their trouble shoooting script.....I can only envision it is just like this....not...  

top men...

Fit This Into the Hole for This using Nothing but that...
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 8:39:34 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a family member that drove that run for years for UP. He retired last year. I'm glad I don't have to worry and wonder any more.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 11:32:16 PM EDT
[#42]
When I went by this morning, they had one of the engines upright. Looked pretty mangled. And got more info on what happened to the crew from a friend with UP, sucky situation to be in, with no good options or outcome.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 12:14:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
A little over 1 hp/t. Is that normal? Sounds really underpowered for a train out west.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1hp/ton is pretty normal for over tonnage trains such as coal loads and grainers. 1.5 seems to be normal for everything else. And anything over that is usually throttle restricted except for Z trains. But 3 big jacks with fully operable dynamics would probably not hold back a 13,000 ton train on a 2% grade. I would imagine full dynamics and at least 10lb of air set to keep it at desired speed.

I’m just a lowly conductor so maybe an engineer can step in on this part. Plus our steepest grade is only like 1.6%. So no experience with anything that steep myself.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 12:16:32 AM EDT
[#44]

RIP Engineer Jason Martinez and Conductor Benjamin Brozovich
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 12:24:15 AM EDT
[#45]
N/M
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 1:03:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1967/30209988097_728c64c84a_b.jpg

RIP Engineer Jason Martinez and Conductor Benjamin Brozovich
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 3:45:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Another update: I heard from other crew members from Cheyenne that the engineer did not jump but was running back to one of the trailing units when the wreck occurred. They found his body under the second engine The train started having braking issues after it picked up the 19 loads in Laramie but a manager instructed the crew to take the train anyway. The train was restricted to 25 mph going down the 2% grade. It hit 33 mph when they placed it into emergency and the train was going between 50 and 60 when the collision occured
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 5:59:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Another update: I heard from other crew members from Cheyenne that the engineer did not jump but was running back to one of the trailing units when the wreck occurred. They found his body under the second engine The train started having braking issues after it picked up the 19 loads in Laramie but a manager instructed the crew to take the train anyway. The train was restricted to 25 mph going down the 2% grade. It hit 33 mph when they placed it into emergency and the train was going between 50 and 60 when the collision occured
View Quote
Wow
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 7:13:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Hunters PR BS wrecked a train going down the hill from Sand Patch in Hyndman a year or two ago. Plus other misadventures. He didn't kick off soon enough. Think they reinstated helpers on the rear. NS knows better and keeps helpers on the rear of most trains going up and down the mountain.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's all good until it ain't.

EHH's "precision railroading" bit with CSX is doing the same, but the Great Lakes and Indianapolis subs (along with much of their other trackage) are flat enough that braking power isn't that big of an issue. Probably doesn't fly so well in the Intermountain West.
Hunters PR BS wrecked a train going down the hill from Sand Patch in Hyndman a year or two ago. Plus other misadventures. He didn't kick off soon enough. Think they reinstated helpers on the rear. NS knows better and keeps helpers on the rear of most trains going up and down the mountain.
Just wait until the Union Pacific gets the "Precision Railroading" implemented. Glad I am retired, those shits will kill you for a dollar.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:37:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
This would not be surprising,   especially if it is a yard manager and not a MOP,   most yard managers I have dealt with are hired off the street and have zero practical railroading experience.   They tend to care only about getting that train out of the yard to avoid dwell time and switch time deadlines so they can hit their numbers and bonus at the end of the year.

Stupid corporate metrics always trump safety with these people.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top