Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:37:39 AM EDT
[#1]
shark could have used a little situational awareness
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:39:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That pod of orcas which fucks up great white over a long standing blood feud are my favorite animals!

Love those things. Maybe its because I'm terrified of sharks.

I bet the giant squid is what got the meg, but I'm pulling for the orcas!

With how huge the meg was, what all did it eat?
View Quote

Sperm whales love to screw with giant squids
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:42:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
violence

speed

momentum

View Quote

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah….
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:47:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn nature, you scary!
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:56:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Fascinating.

I'm deathly afraid of heights but would love to swim around them one day.
View Quote

Buddy you are in luck. I'm pretty sure they live in really fucking low altitudes
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:57:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty sure that shark was already on Queer Street, and the video just show the knockout. Likely the commotion that alerted them to get it on video.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:04:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks more like a dolphin than a shark to me.  It has a long snoot for a shark.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:05:28 AM EDT
[#8]

nature be scary yo
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:25:37 AM EDT
[#9]
That was like a shark-seeking missile!

Kinda laughing at the NSFW tag, though. Violent, sure, but pretty tame from that distance.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:29:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Totally agree. First world zoos are very well-run, but they don't have the space to simulate living in the wild. Only large game preserves do that well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shouldn't be here for our entertainment. I dont go outside to pet the bobcat or coyote im trying to remove.

Zoos should only exist to save animals that might go extinct

Totally agree. First world zoos are very well-run, but they don't have the space to simulate living in the wild. Only large game preserves do that well.

Yup.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:29:25 AM EDT
[#11]
If it was indeed a shark: When assholes collide.

If it was a dolphin: Poor Dolphin.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:41:24 AM EDT
[#12]
" />
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:42:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Megalodon QUITE a bit bigger. 52' - 82'. In pod form MAYBE orcas harrasing and killing megs. But one on one I can't see that happening. Even the mighty mosasaur couldn't likely deal with megalodon. I'm no scientist but two apex predators, with one being far larger  than the competition. Now maybe orcas could "out eat" the megs and starve them, but eating up all the food that the megs ate.
View Quote

Eat the young megs, problem goes away.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:43:00 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote
Incredible.    And that seals look on its face as it stares at the camera says "I'm screwed".
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:47:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Buddy you are in luck. I'm pretty sure they live in really fucking low altitudes
View Quote

That’s was my thought.  Like -5’ ASL.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:54:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:39:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:49:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Megalodon QUITE a bit bigger. 52' - 82'. In pod form MAYBE orcas harrasing and killing megs. But one on one I can't see that happening. Even the mighty mosasaur couldn't likely deal with megalodon. I'm no scientist but two apex predators, with one being far larger  than the competition. Now maybe orcas could "out eat" the megs and starve them, but eating up all the food that the megs ate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This thread is relevant to my interests.

I watched some pretty cool YT vids about orcas and speculation about how they would fare in the different prehistoric oceans. Basically if the water was cool enough, the orca was favored in a curb stomp in ANY era.

Even more interesting, it's speculated that the orca is responsible for the extinction of the MEGALODON. Possibly through direct harassment/violence like in this video.

One is a dumb fish acting on instinct one is a cunning mammal with a big brain.

I know where I’d put my money.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:53:34 PM EDT
[#19]
That was awesome. I watched it a few times. By the time that shark reacted it was too late. He was already dead and didn't even know it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:54:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

In and Brownelled gif possibility
View Quote

@Freebeer

Here you go sir.

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:58:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

That was a shark. Look at the tail fin.

Vs

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:03:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

You have to take into account that Megalodons weren't born 50' long and one of the most difficult things to do in the wild for "big" animals is to defend their young from smaller, faster, pack predators.  It's basically the entire reason for "herd" behavior, which I doubt Meg participated in but who knows.  Tougher to do in 3d than on land anyway.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This thread is relevant to my interests.

I watched some pretty cool YT vids about orcas and speculation about how they would fare in the different prehistoric oceans. Basically if the water was cool enough, the orca was favored in a curb stomp in ANY era.

Even more interesting, it's speculated that the orca is responsible for the extinction of the MEGALODON. Possibly through direct harassment/violence like in this video.
View Quote

Goddang vicious beastie right there.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:10:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
@RealityCheck0311

Here you go OP.  I downloaded the video and then created it as a gif for folks who don't like to click on links.

https://i.imgur.com/js509hf.gif
View Quote

Nice job!   Those are excellent.

It’s impressive that they mostly know to leave Man alone.    They must teach their young to beware of the pale monkeys with opposable thumbs and Harpoons.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:10:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Pretty cool
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:24:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You have to take into account that Megalodons weren't born 50' long and one of the most difficult things to do in the wild for "big" animals is to defend their young from smaller, faster, pack predators.  It's basically the entire reason for "herd" behavior, which I doubt Meg participated in but who knows.  Tougher to do in 3d than on land anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. I don't know what the appropriate comparison is on land or if it even exists. Big sharks are tough and nasty but not smart agile and fast like an Orca.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:34:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yup. There's a reason that they are called "sea wolves". Cause wolves are dicks too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Orcas are dicks.

Yup. There's a reason that they are called "sea wolves". Cause wolves are dicks too.

The videos of them teaming up to get a seal on an ice flow are kinda scary. Wonder if they'd do that to a person
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:42:18 PM EDT
[#28]
There's always a bigger fish.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:43:28 PM EDT
[#29]
What a bunch of PUSS ASSES.  NSFW my ass.  

Buncha candy ass liberal babies.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:47:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

National Geographic: "This is a video of a great white being hit by an Orca"

Arfcom armchair quarterbacks: "Nah bruh, that's clearly a dolphin"

...do you guys even hear yourselves?
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 2:13:51 PM EDT
[#31]
I believe there were two buddy Orcas that roam the ocean in South Africa that hunt for fun. Victims were Great White Sharks. And the way they remove the livers as trophies were done with precision.

Scary ocean mofos.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 2:18:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I want to see the full(er) video
View Quote

Yeah, WTF was that?
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 2:30:03 PM EDT
[#33]
NSFW?

Do they think all the Great White sharks we work with will be offended by the video?
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

National Geographic: "This is a video of a great white being hit by an Orca"

Arfcom armchair quarterbacks: "Nah bruh, that's clearly a dolphin"

...do you guys even hear yourselves?
View Quote

online copywriter for NG TIKTOK
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 2:39:51 PM EDT
[#35]
I was having breakfast at a restaurant on the harbor in Kodiak.  For about 5 minutes or so I watched an Orca play toss the seal in the harbor.   Seal was getting launched a good 15 feet repetitively by the Orca.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 2:49:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Speed, surprise and violence of action.  Orcas are master strategists.  Imagine fighting and army of men with that strength and mindset.  Yet they wisely leave man alone.  I can’t help but think they are keenly aware of what we could do to them.
View Quote

Unless you are in a boat off of Portugal or Spain.

Orca Attacks

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 2:53:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
violence

speed

momentum

View Quote

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYA
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Unless you are in a boat off of Portugal or Spain.

Orca Attacks

View Quote

Yeah, came here to post this too.
I guess some boat owner pissed off a pod of Orcas.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Speed, surprise and violence of action.  Orcas are master strategists.  Imagine fighting and army of men with that strength and mindset.  Yet they wisely leave man alone.  I can’t help but think they are keenly aware of what we could do to them.
View Quote

Humans can go almost anywhere and generally all predators avoid them.   Exceptions for diseases and cubs / etc - even those are a rarity.   Yet humans are typically easy prey without weapons or numbers.

”“Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

Genesis.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 3:32:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Orcas are dicks.
View Quote

My wife pointed out that orcas never kill humans.
I replied that no human killed by an orca has reported the attack!
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 3:43:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

That would have been cruel. The shark would have had longer to realize "I'M ABOUT TO BE EATEN!"
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 3:50:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Incredible.    And that seals look on its face as it stares at the camera says "I'm screwed".
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Sometimes, the orcas play with their food.

Killer Whale Flips Seal Into the Air

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 3:58:44 PM EDT
[#43]
they say if a orca grabs it by the tail the great white almost always gives up.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 4:02:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Damn!
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 4:03:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Right....

A little hard to have better situational awareness than the Orca when the Orca has SONAR.

It's bigger, faster, smarter and has a technology advantage. That's it man, game over man GAME OVER!
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 4:29:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/s3/styles/original/s3/dam-migration/640x427-dolphin_bottlenose_nb_w.png?itok=e6t8QRC9

Vs

https://cdn.britannica.com/63/200163-050-91406475/sharks.jpg

It's a shark.

The Great White is the bad ass of the shark world and stories get more clicks when headline contains "Great White Shark!" so there is a tendency to mislabel every shark as a Great White.
I actually think that is a Mako shark, which has a very similar silhouette to a Great White but has a more pointy beak like snout.

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 4:38:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It's a shark.

The Great White is the bad ass of the shark world and stories get more clicks when headline contains "Great White Shark!" so there is a tendency to mislabel every shark as a Great White.
I actually think that is a Mako shark, which has a very similar silhouette to a Great White but has a more pointy beak like snout.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d5/ea/75/d5ea759271e71ab469e57490642ae0c5.jpg

https://www.fossilguy.com/gallery/vert/fish-shark/isurus/800px-Isurus_oxyrinchus_by_mark_conlin3.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/s3/styles/original/s3/dam-migration/640x427-dolphin_bottlenose_nb_w.png?itok=e6t8QRC9

Vs

https://cdn.britannica.com/63/200163-050-91406475/sharks.jpg

It's a shark.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d5/ea/75/d5ea759271e71ab469e57490642ae0c5.jpg

https://www.fossilguy.com/gallery/vert/fish-shark/isurus/800px-Isurus_oxyrinchus_by_mark_conlin3.jpg

Looks to be a bit wide for a Mako.

I'm thinking it's a juvenile great white.

Think the NatGeo social media post was a preview for some upcoming show. I'm sure more details will follow.

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Looks to be a bit wide for a Mako.

I'm thinking it's a juvenile great white.

Think the NatGeo social media post was a preview for some upcoming show. I'm sure more details will follow.

View Quote

A juvenile would make sense.  You're right, looking again the length seems short for it's width. Even the pectoral fins seem to large for the rest of the body.   Probably a juvenile.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:37:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Fascinating.

I'm deathly afraid of heights but would love to swim around them one day.
View Quote

Come to Tacoma WA for a visit. Between Owen Beach and the Ruston Way waterfront you see them often.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:55:04 PM EDT
[#50]

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top