Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 8:41:07 PM EDT
[#1]
No.  I don't want to watch you restomod an old Ford.  

I want to do a restomod

In before

YoU CouLD HAvE bOUghT a nEW TRucK fOr thE MOneY!!

Link Posted: 7/19/2022 8:41:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a restomod '68 Mustang. I used the Classic Auto Air A/C kit in it, and have been very happy with the system. Looks like they make one for '77 Ford pickups: https://www.classicautoair.com/shop/complete-ac-systems/1977-ford-pickup-truck-air-conditioning-system/
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 8:43:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In before

View Quote

I'm sure there will be some of those comments. I've seen OP's cars and trucks before.

Like when Captain Rob or whatever his name was called out MrHiggs..  
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Keep that Highboy HIGH!

Awesome!
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 8:45:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm sure there will be some of those comments. I've seen OP's cars and trucks before.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In before

One of the classics.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 8:48:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Tag

Link Posted: 7/19/2022 8:49:04 PM EDT
[#7]
How will you control the engine and trans?

I imagine the body is narrower than a Super Duty. What is your strategy for the fit/finish?

Will you install a super or turbocharger? NA will not be tolerated.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 8:52:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How will you control the engine and trans?

I imagine the body is narrower than a Super Duty. What is your strategy for the fit/finish?

Will you install a super or turbocharger? NA will not be tolerated.
View Quote

Will use the factory computer and wiring harness.

Still undecided on the power adders as we plan to travel with this truck and want to keep it simple. The Gen 3 truck motors are capable of 500rwhp which will be more than enough for my intent.

It’s not a super duty frame. It’s the original frame with super duty parts fitted to it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 8:59:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh, I’m in to see this progress! Those Highboys are sweet.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 9:04:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Will use the factory computer and wiring harness.

Still undecided on the power adders as we plan to travel with this truck and want to keep it simple. The Gen 3 truck motors are capable of 500rwhp which will be more than enough for my intent.

It's not a super duty frame. It's the original frame with super duty parts fitted to it.
View Quote
I was referring to the width of the axles relative to the body.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 9:06:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Tagged.  Been thinking of doing one.  This might motivate me.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 9:08:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I kinda hate you. Subscribed.

Add a whipple.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 9:16:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was referring to the width of the axles relative to the body.
View Quote

The axles are wider but I picked a wheel with enough inset to keep the tires kinda tucked.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 9:20:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Im in - thanks for posting!
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 10:34:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I've always wished that my brother had kept and brought back my fathers 1978 F150.  4x4, inline 6, that low, low 1st speed 'granny gear'.

Basic old truck but got all around here in Virginia and twice to California.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 12:52:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Great project op, I look forward to following along.

I'm picking up my own next month. It's my Father in-laws 1978 F100.

It's 2wd and I kicked around converting it to 4wd, but already have way too many 4wd trucks so I'm going to turn it into a hotrod.

Even considering selling my old Porsche 911 because I don't drive it as much these days, and I'm actually more excited to build this old truck for some reason.

Link Posted: 7/20/2022 1:32:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Very cool project.
What kind of budget are you estimating for this?
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 1:35:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 1:36:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Very cool build!  Looking forward to the outcome!
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 1:46:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, I'm in. Vicariously is the best way to enjoy builds I can't afford, and don't quite have the skill for.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 1:47:30 AM EDT
[#21]
What colors for the paint and interior?
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 2:36:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 3:03:35 AM EDT
[#23]
I love RCC1 threads
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 5:53:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You doing all the work yourself?
View Quote

Disassembly and reassembly yes.

Fabrication and paint no.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 5:54:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What colors for the paint and interior?
View Quote

Exterior colors with be velocity blue and white. Interior will be black.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 6:18:14 AM EDT
[#26]
That's a badass project

My dream daily is still a 70's era Ford cummins swapped
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 6:23:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Tagged. These are my favorite trucks.

I have a 1965 F100 with a mild stroker build in it. The 70s ford were peak sexiness.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 6:25:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Highboys are neat old trucks. A buddy of mine has like 4 or 5 of the things now. When he bought his first one, I found out that he couldn’t drive a manual.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 7:22:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Subbed!
Had a 77 HiBoy with a 472 (429 rotating assy in a punched 460 block iirc)
Diesels weren’t a thing yet.
I built it to be a tow truck and it would pull like a beast, including pulling every cent out of your wallet for gas.
Loved that truck.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 8:14:39 AM EDT
[#30]
All I have to say is I hope the wheels I see on it in the picture are jut for mock up.
Those gawdy bling bling gangster things do not belong on a classic such as that. Those look like the wheels someone puts on squatted trucks.

I do not care what happens under the skin, I just hope you leave the body original and the interior as original as possible.

The 70's trucks are the best body style ford ever made on a truck. 79 was the last great year. Everything since has been bleh.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 9:50:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
All I have to say is I hope the wheels I see on it in the picture are jut for mock up.
Those gawdy bling bling gangster things do not belong on a classic such as that. Those look like the wheels someone puts on squatted trucks.

I do not care what happens under the skin, I just hope you leave the body original and the interior as original as possible.

The 70's trucks are the best body style ford ever made on a truck. 79 was the last great year. Everything since has been bleh.
View Quote

Your disapproval is noted and ignored.

Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:08:45 AM EDT
[#32]
In, just picked this thing up for a song.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:11:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
In, just picked this thing up for a song.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/261558/IMG_0872_jpg-2459689.JPG
View Quote

Nice....

The tool box in the bottom of the bed is very rare. Mine will have one. I ended up buying 3 beds to get enough parts to build one good one.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:15:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Fuck yes I'm in.
View Quote

Quoted:
Following  
View Quote

Quoted:
Hell yeah I’m in.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:16:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Is it possible to add airbags for the modern “not die” crash experience?
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:17:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Definite tagscribe.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:24:05 AM EDT
[#37]
OST.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:26:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:32:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

When I bought the truck-

View Quote

Hell... I'd love to own that as it sits, assuming it didn't have any hidden demons you're not telling us about.

Quoted:

Gen 3 coyote and 10R80 trans
View Quote

I don't know how far you've gone down this road, but you might want to reconsider.

The Coyote peaked in Gen2, and the Gen1s and Gen2s were generally very good to excellent engines. The Gen3s have earned a pretty shaky reputation. I wouldn't buy a truck that came with one stock, much less go through the trouble of swapping one in.

It's a bummer that the Godzilla wasn't a practical option. That would have been absolutely glorious.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I guess it might possible but thats way above my pay grade.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:34:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Hell... I'd love to own that as it sits, assuming it didn't have any hidden demons you're not telling us about.

I don't know how far you've gone down this road, but you might want to reconsider.

The Coyote peaked in Gen2, and the Gen1s and Gen2s were generally very good to excellent engines. The Gen3s have earned a pretty shaky reputation. I wouldn't buy a truck that came with one stock, much less go through the trouble of swapping one in.

It's a bummer that the Godzilla wasn't a practical option. That would have been absolutely glorious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The truck ran and drove like a 46 year old truck, which would be fine around town but not the kind of driver I want.

The Gen 3 motors do not scare me. Most of their issues stem from pollution control devices which I will have none of.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:40:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Eh...

Most importantly, RCC1 has chosen a wheel and tire combo with an adequate amount of side wall. No low profile BS.

He also skipped the fake beadlock look. That trend can die in a fire at its earliest convenience.

Lastly, that style of wheel has been used on lifted old Fords longer than half this site's membership has been alive:

Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:42:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:44:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The truck ran and drove like a 46 year old truck, which would be fine around town but not the kind of driver I want.

The Gen 3 motors do not scare me. Most of their issues stem from pollution control devices which I will have none of.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's hard to ignore the idea that the PTWA cylinder liners are a key contributor to the problems and that Ford issued a "revised" dipstick with the cross hatch extended a quart lower for a reason.

Still... the fear of those kinds of engine issues loses its bite when you have a Super Duty collection, a Raptor, and a Gladiator, and the vehicle in question isn't your DD.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:47:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Why you no 7.3 Godzilla?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:55:01 AM EDT
[#46]
I like it, but also wonder why 5.0 vs 7.3.  But either way is cool.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:04:17 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm in  
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:14:35 AM EDT
[#48]

I’ve had a bunch of daily drivers that were pre-air bag. I’ve also been to a bunch of fatals.

That dying like men thing looks better on a sticker than it does on asphalt.

I was actually curious because OP is clearly dropping a few bucks on this and I didn’t know if adding air bags is a viable restomod thing or not.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:29:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Hey all kinds of in ??.  Do you have Instagram so my son can follow too he just brought his grandfathers 73 Custom 250 home and we are going to need lots of advice and parts help.   360 and a 4 speed in his and lots of rust.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:32:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wheels seem ok to me.

Just look like a modernized, polished, aluminum rim of the trucks era.  

I thinks it’s a good pick
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top