Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:29:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very much worth watching.  Excellent B/W movie.  And Nb: At one point there is a "sing off" between the Nazis and the free people, mostly French.  The free people sing The Marseillaise. Many have heard that anthem, but few know the words.  Watch the great Mireille Matheiu sing it with subtitles.  And pay attention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MQ-SC9bmp4
View Quote

Also know that many of the supporting actors you see singing here - especially the young Frenchwoman in tears, were refugees from the Nazis.  To this day I tear up every time I see that scene
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:36:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Did you know this guy in Casablanca:

Is this guy in Caligari:
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 1:38:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It won 3 Osacrs and nominated for 5 more. The script was spot-on with great chemistry. Bogie and Bergman made the chemistry sizzle. The music was unforgettable. The black and white filming added to the feel of the story. Claude Rains played off Bogie perfectly. Dooley Wilson was perfect as the piano player. He nailed it. I can still hear him sing "As Time Goes By." There are so many memorable lines you could almost rewright a new script. It was a solid performing movie on it's first run but the public loved it. It is still one of the most memorable movies ever made. Play it again Sam.

View Quote

As has already been covered, the line was "Play it, Sam."

Link Posted: 12/9/2021 1:50:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Other than Gone With The Wind, I can't think of another movie from that era that has a Black actor playing a supporting role or having a speaking part other than to provide comedy.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 7:14:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Great old movie. I can't even say how many times I've watched it but to be honest I always was a Bogie fan since I was a kid. I would have taken Bacall over Bergman any day!

After you watch Casablanca, you gotta watch "A night in Casablanca" with the Marx brothers. Funny stuff, a parody of the Bogie film.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 7:20:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Great movie, enjoy.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 7:44:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Shocked! Shocked I tell you!
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 7:54:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 7:57:15 AM EDT
[#10]
It's not artistic at all. It's not high concept. It's down to earth, rough and magnificent.

It's a film full of great lines. It's emotional. It's hilarious. It's cynical. It's gritty. It's hopeful.

It pulls you out of America and puts you in an exotic land about to be devastated by fucking nazis. You can feel the coming doom. It makes you worldly and shows isolationism is foolish and wishful thinking in the age of aircraft and industrial war.

It helps you understand why you must prepare for all out war. It shows you can win if you are ready to wake up in time. If you ignore it's message, you are doomed to die before the blitzkreig or be a nazi slave. As an American, you have no place left to run. Good looking women won't be able to sell themselves to corrupt officials to escape to a worthy place. There won't be any place left to go.

Basically, it's a movie that is absolutely relevant to everything happening right now, today. Don't live like a refugee.

It takes a bit to tune your ears to fast talking actors with 1930's accents and vocabulary.  First time I watched it, I turned it off after 20 minutes. I gave it another chance later and I could suddenly follow it and I loved it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 7:59:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Also know that many of the supporting actors you see singing here - especially the young Frenchwoman in tears, were refugees from the Nazis.  To this day I tear up every time I see that scene
View Quote

Madeleine Lebeau

Lebeau died on 1 May 2016 in Estepona, Spain, aged 92, after breaking her thigh bone.[3] French culture minister Audrey Azoulay said of Madelaine Lebeau after her death: "She was a free woman who lived by her own rules, totally inhabiting the roles entrusted to her by leading directors. She will forever be the face of French resistance."[1]

As it turns out, Lebeau herself had fled Nazi-engulfed Europe with her Jewish husband, Marcel Dalio, who plays Emil the croupier at Rick’s Café and who was already famous in Europe for his winning performances

https://www.neh.gov/humanities/2017/winter/feature/in-casablanca-madeleine-lebeau-became-forever-the-face-french-resistance
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:04:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Great movie.  One of the classics from the Golden Age of Hollywood and well worth watching.  Check out The Maltese Falcon and White Heat, also (two more personal favorites).

I don't have a Humphrey Bogart or an Ingrid Bergman, but I've got a Paul Henreid,

And a Claude Rains,

in my meager collection.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:19:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
"No, I don't think I will kiss you, although you need kissing, badly. That's what's wrong with you. You should be kissed and often, and by someone who knows how."

Fantastic Movie! One of my Favorites

Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn were such a fantastic couple on the silver screen!
View Quote

65 Wat?
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:25:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:27:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Watched it not long ago and realized how great a movie Casablanca is, forget the propoganda; just the writing and acting.

Watched Havanna; Robert Redford's attempt to reinterpret Casablanca in Cuba.  Sucked big time.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:30:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Other than Gone With The Wind, I can't think of another movie from that era that has a Black actor playing a supporting role or having a speaking part other than to provide comedy.
View Quote

Sam was great.   The scene where he uprights Bogie's spilled glass as a symbol of righting wrongs is one of my favorites.   He was the emotional anchor for both bogie and bergman.

These old movies had so much more realistic emotional interactions.  These days it's all manipulation.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:38:08 AM EDT
[#17]
What watch mama?
Such watch!!
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 9:03:31 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm 53yo and saw it for the first time 2 years ago at the Tivoli Theater in Chattanooga.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 9:05:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Very much worth watching.  Excellent B/W movie.  And Nb: At one point there is a "sing off" between the Nazis and the free people, mostly French.  The free people sing The Marseillaise. Many have heard that anthem, but few know the words.  Watch the great Mireille Matheiu sing it with subtitles.  And pay attention:

View Quote

That was actually amazing, I had never looked up the lyrics to that song, shame on me.

It definitely has a new meaning for me when I hear it.

Viva la France!
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 9:37:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ugarte: You despise me, don't you?
Rick: If I gave you any thought, I probably would.
View Quote

Casablanca is the movie that turned me on to Peter Lorre. He was amazing.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 9:41:32 AM EDT
[#21]
My favorite movie of all time.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 9:42:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Damn...I didn't know the words.  Wow.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn...I didn't know the words.  Wow.
Whoever translated that was a pussy.  "Qu'un sang impur abreuve nos sillons" = "Let that impure blood water the furrows of our fields"

ETA: Roosevelt screened Casablanca while he was on the train on the way to the Casablanca Conference, at which it was decided that unconditional surrender was the only acceptable conclusion to the war.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 9:56:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I first saw Casablanca about 3 weeks ago.   Found it interesting that it was half the cast of the Maltese Falcon.
View Quote

There's a reason for that!
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 10:19:00 AM EDT
[#24]
I've seen that film at least 50 times.

Every actor in that movie is now dead.

A few favorite lines:

Rick: If it's December 1941 in Casablanca, what time is it in New York?
Sam: Uh, my watch stopped.
Rick: I bet they're asleep in New York. I bet they're asleep all over America.

Rick: My letter of transit? I could use a trip. But it doesn't make any difference about our bet. You still owe me ten thousand francs.
Renault: And that ten thousand francs should pay our expenses.
Rick: Our expenses?
Renault: Mm-hm.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ugarte: You despise me, don't you?
Rick: If I gave you any thought, I probably would.

This "turning on" to Peter Lorre.

Was it sexual?

Link Posted: 12/9/2021 10:55:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That was actually amazing, I had never looked up the lyrics to that song, shame on me.

Viva la France!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Viva la France!

More trivia:

The original name of "La Marseillaise" was "Chant de guerre de l’armée du Rhin" ("War Song of the Army of the Rhine").  It was written when the French were up against the Germans on the other side of the Rhine River in 1870 approximately 1792.  (Corrected as per @AgHistGrad02 post)

So, I think it was no accident that in "Casablanca," the song that the Nazis were singing that triggered La Marseillaise was, "Die Wacht am Rhein" (The Watch on the Rhine), a German song written, I think, about the same war.

So, there in a bar in Casablanca, the two sides were not just philosophically opposite, but symbolically faced off across the Rhine River!

Oh, and while the Marseillaise had been adopted as the national anthem, Napoleon banned it because it was too revolutionary.

@Harv24

Link Posted: 12/9/2021 10:58:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Play it Sam.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 11:19:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

More trivia:

The original name of "La Marseillaise" was "Chant de guerre de l’armée du Rhin" ("War Song of the Army of the Rhine").  It was written when the French were up against the Germans on the other side of the Rhine River in 1870.  

So, I think it was no accident that in "Casablanca," the song that the Nazis were singing that triggered La Marseillaise was, "Die Wacht am Rhein" (The Watch on the Rhine), a German song written, I think, about the same war.

So, there in a bar in Casablanca, the two sides were not just philosophically opposite, but symbolically faced off across the Rhine River!

Oh, and while the Marseillaise had been adopted as the national anthem, Napoleon banned it because it was too revolutionary.

@Harv24

View Quote

It was written during the French Revolution. The army of the Rhine was fighting against the Germanic states, Prussia included, as well as the Austrians. The song even makes mention of the French Expatriates that turned on France and fought for the other aristocratic powers. Napoleon wouldn’t have been able to ban the song if it was written in 1870. That would have been Napoleon III.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 11:22:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Great film and worth watching just for all the pop culture references it spawned.
View Quote

"It's a topsy-turvy world, and maybe the problems of two people don't amount to a hill of beans. But this is our hill. And these are our beans!"
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Right now.

Is it actually good?  Or is it one of those "best movie of all time" movies that is artistically good but not entertaining?

View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 11:32:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

There were a few.  "Body and Soul" from 1947 had Canada Lee in a supporting, talking role comes to mind. Decent boxing movie on YouTube.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 11:34:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It was written during the French Revolution. The army of the Rhine was fighting against the Germanic states, Prussia included, as well as the Austrians. The song even makes mention of the French Expatriates that turned on France and fought for the other aristocratic powers. Napoleon wouldn’t have been able to ban the song if it was written in 1870. That would have been Napoleon III.
View Quote

Your corrections, sir, are entirely correct.  My dyslexia has its limits!  Thanks.

Link Posted: 12/9/2021 11:38:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It's actually better the second time because then you know the background of those two and you understand why they're acting the way they are.

It is that good.

I just watched in about 2 weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOeFhSzoTuc
View Quote

The facial expressions alone in that scene are an excellent synopsis of why the movie is so great. Capt. Renault's disgust at the Germans, especially Major Strasser. Laszlo's cold fury at the Germans alongside Rick's resigned acceptance. Ilsa's fear at first and then love and admiration at Lazlo's actions. Strasser's hate when the singer shouts "Viva la France! Viva la liberte!". Even the subtle touches of the band checking with Rick for permission to play what they know is a dangerous song.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 11:40:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Ingrid Bergman was mentioned a few times.  Great in everything I've seen her in.  Here's a clip from Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, 1941.

Ingrid Bergman, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1941 film)

Link Posted: 12/9/2021 11:41:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
In an age where they were pumping out "routine" movies every week, it wasn't expected to be the classic it became, but there you go. It IS one of the classics of the modern world. The movie was released in 1942; WWII was well underway, so the topics in it were very current.

You will enjoy it more and more the more you see it; you'll pick out details you missed before.

Some spoilers:
Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Came here to post about the singing.     A great movie.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 11:43:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The facial expressions alone in that scene are an excellent synopsis of why the movie is so great. Capt. Renault's disgust at the Germans, especially Major Strasser. Laszlo's cold fury at the Germans alongside Rick's resigned acceptance. Ilsa's fear at first and then love and admiration at Lazlo's actions. Strasser's hate when the singer shouts "Viva la France! Viva la liberte!". Even the subtle touches of the band checking with Rick for permission to play what they know is a dangerous song.
View Quote

And part of why all of this is so good is because of the beautiful cinematography. The composition, the lighting, the focus, all of it is just great, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 11:50:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Old movies are kind of boring to modern tastes but Casablanca is definitely engaging still.

If you like it check out The Maltese Falcon. And if you have no interest in seeing a silent film then check out The General with Buster Keaton. It's the one silent film that anyone could love.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 11:53:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow, I did not know the words to it.

I am now wondering how the Nazis walked out of that gin joint alive.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:22:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What watch mama?
Such watch!!
View Quote

More correctly (if memory serves):

Liebchen, what watch?

8 watch.

Such much?

--

The genius in this scene of two native german speakers getting confused in english is based on a true peculiarity on the german language. "Uhr" is the german word for clock or watch, and in certain contexts, Uhr is also the word for hour.

So, one might ask what time it is (Wieviel Uhr ist es?), and receive the answer that it is 8 o'clock (Es ist 8 Uhr.). To someone who didn't know any better, it would be an easy error to make to confuse the word usage in english. To me, it makes the scene funnier knowing that.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The most amazing aspect of he movie is the real history during the time the movie was filmed and released.  At the time the Nazi machine had taken France and was working through North Africa.  If you were watching the movie bring it’s release it was nearly like watching the news, but with a bit more detail to see how it affected neutral places like Casablanca where people were flocking to in their attempts to escape out in front of the Nazis.

It’s a great show, but the reality of it is far stronger to me than the movie itself.
View Quote

Just checked this on a hunch....

The movie was released Nov 26, 1942.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034583/releaseinfo?ref_=tttrv_ql_dt_2

Patton liberated Casablanca (Operation Torch) November 10, 1942.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Torch#Casablanca
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 1:56:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

More trivia:

The original name of "La Marseillaise" was "Chant de guerre de l’armée du Rhin" ("War Song of the Army of the Rhine").  It was written when the French were up against the Germans on the other side of the Rhine River in 1870.  

@Harv24

View Quote

That's awesome, thanks for sharing...
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 4:17:11 PM EDT
[#42]
@Master_Shake_TX

Curios what the OP's thoughts are after seeing it?
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 4:52:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The most amazing aspect of he movie is the real history during the time the movie was filmed and released.  At the time the Nazi machine had taken France and was working through North Africa.  If you were watching the movie bring it’s release it was nearly like watching the news, but with a bit more detail to see how it affected neutral places like Casablanca where people were flocking to in their attempts to escape out in front of the Nazis.

It’s a great show, but the reality of it is far stronger to me than the movie itself.

I still really like that scene, but reading "An Army at Dawn" and catching how hard the French fought against the US and UK landings kind of ruins it.

Going from "Oh no, we're oppressed by the Nazis" to "Machinegun those Americans struggling in the water".
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 6:24:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Another good film from that era, "The Third Man" with Orson Wells and Joseph Cotton, set in Vienna following the war. The devastation is an integral part in many of the scenes.
The Third Man......The.Cuckoo Clock

Link Posted: 12/9/2021 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Great movie, seen it countless times.  That said it has a few holes in the plot.  Why are German couriers carrying letters of transit from Charles DeGaulle?  And what good would a letter of transit signed by Charles DeGaulle be in Vichy Casablanca?  How did Rick and Ilsa meet?  Why didn't the Germans just kill Victor Lazlo when they had him in the concentration camp?
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:54:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm only a poor corrupt government official.
- Capt. Renault
(my favorite line)

Although this one is also good.

Carl, see that Major Strasser gets a good table, one close to the ladies.
- Capt. Renault

I have already given him the best, knowing that he is German and would take it anyway.
- Carl
View Quote

Carl: S. Z. Szacall, he steals a lot of scenes in every movie he appears.

He is also good in Christmas in Connecticut.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:57:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
RICK, DO SOMETHING!

https://i.imgur.com/r0swCFT.png
View Quote

Ingrid Bergman? Humphrey Bogart?!! Hah! Peter Lorre was the true star of that film!!!
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:58:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Great old movie. I can't even say how many times I've watched it but to be honest I always was a Bogie fan since I was a kid. I would have taken Bacall over Bergman any day!

After you watch Casablanca, you gotta watch "A night in Casablanca" with the Marx brothers. Funny stuff, a parody of the Bogie film.
View Quote

Night In Casablanca Holding up the building
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:00:18 AM EDT
[#49]
And here I am,  frying bacon naked..,
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:09:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

More correctly (if memory serves):

Liebchen, what watch?

8 watch.

Such much?

--

The genius in this scene of two native german speakers getting confused in english is based on a true peculiarity on the german language. "Uhr" is the german word for clock or watch, and in certain contexts, Uhr is also the word for hour.

So, one might ask what time it is (Wieviel Uhr ist es?), and receive the answer that it is 8 o'clock (Es ist 8 Uhr.). To someone who didn't know any better, it would be an easy error to make to confuse the word usage in english. To me, it makes the scene funnier knowing that.
View Quote

German syntax is also different. Milwaukee used to have a big German population that would say "where the street car bends the corner round".
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top