Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 2:25:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Golden Retriever is always the answer.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 2:29:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Whatever you want.

It will end up being your dog in the end.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Bernese or Swiss Mountain Dag.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 2:29:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Female German Shepherd. Standard American working line. Doesn't need a big back yard. Only barks for certain reasons. Home and family protective. Small child and cat friendly too. Smart and loyal. You've seen "I Am Legend", right?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/130695/IMG_1577_jpg-2733573.JPG
Rescue. No adoption fee.
View Quote
^ that.

Link Posted: 3/4/2023 2:32:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Brittany

Hands down one the best dogs you could ever own.   I have had 4 in my 62 years of life all have been joy to own.. awesome bird dog and family pet all in one

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61504/brit-2733564.jpg

View Quote

Not for a small backyard and 1 walk/day
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 2:33:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File

Golden Doodles have the personality of a golden retriever but she’d much less. Awesome family dogs
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 2:34:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Neighborhood is walkable if armed
View Quote

Dog?

You need to fucking move.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 2:34:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Golden retriever

Great with kids, protective, intelligent
Best breed I’ve ever had
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 2:36:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Mini Dachshund. Greatest dog ever. Very loyal and protective. Loves to be active or lazy, just wants to be with their human.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Lab or golden
View Quote
This, lab will be a little easier to deal with with small yard, but be warned, couch potato mode takes about 2.5 years to activate.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#11]

I’ll second this, as my Swissy is the best dog I have ever had. Loves to play, a giant goofball, loves everyone like a lab, super deep bark which keeps intruders at bay. Great with old people, little kids and other animals.

Just big. But she goes everywhere with me, and has been out playing in the snow all day with my sigh it’s GSD, and she can hang on the beach all summer.

Link Posted: 3/4/2023 2:39:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Rescue dog.  Go save a life.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 2:39:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

With a small backyard and only once-a-day walks?  You serious?
View Quote
I think your sarcasm detection meter needs adjustment, go hit yourself in the head with a hammer.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 2:41:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm partial to lab and goldens but both know how to shed.
I like corgis too (make 'em pull a wagon) but they're expensive.
Goldendoddles are great in that they don't shed like a lab, but I hate curly fur.  That's just me.

Coworker (female) had two dachsunds.  As a young teen, a pit bull went after her but her dachsunds interdicted, tag teamed the pit bull and chewed it up.  Everytime one bit the rear the pit bull spun to nab it, only to be bitten by the other dachsund.  Tag, tag, tag until the pit bull was retrieved by its owner.  He called animal control which was going to confiscate those dachsunds.  A neighbor saw it all and told animal control the dachsunds were protecting its owner and that the pit bull was the dangerous animal.  Guess who got the citation for unleashed animal?
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 2:42:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Definitely a pitbull
View Quote

This took longer than I expected.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 2:43:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'll second this, as my Swissy is the best dog I have ever had. Loves to play, a giant goofball, loves everyone like a lab, super deep bark which keeps intruders at bay. Great with old people, little kids and other animals.

Just big. But she goes everywhere with me, and has been out playing in the snow all day with my sigh it's GSD, and she can hang on the beach all summer.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/287916/B8F2A477-B081-422F-8DAA-7D801E4B86D5-2358290.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/287916/D6329129-2D07-4D1B-9120-B357910982DE_jpe-2296983.JPG
View Quote
I'm getting a Swiss Mountain Dog when my Great Pyr shuffles off his mortal coil.

I mean heck OP, a Pyr would be a good option if your neighbors are ok with barking.... 24/7/365.... for no reason.  Mine is wonderful with kids, old people, cats, and most other dogs (He hates aggressively friendly dogs and will bite the shit out of them).  

Also, you Dachshund people are nuts, I've been bitten by more Dachshunds and Chihuahuas than any other breeds I know there are good ones, but on the whole they are mean little psychopaths and not a good fit for kids.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 2:43:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Irish Wolfhound … life span 7-10yrs. Long walk with that will be fine for anyone in your family and if you all decide you don’t want a dog, it is half the lifespan of your typical mutt.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 2:45:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 2:45:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I think your sarcasm detection meter needs adjustment, go hit yourself in the head with a hammer.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With a small backyard and only once-a-day walks?  You serious?

Well, I ASKED if he was serious!  
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 2:45:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 2:48:06 PM EDT
[#22]
My Daughter got a sheepadoodle to replace the 2 GSD's they lost recently. The dog is great with the kids 2yo and 5yo,it was pretty hyper as a puppy but has calmed down considerably with age.

https://www.gracewoodfarmsc.com/11-sheepadoodle-facts

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/4/2023 2:49:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 2:50:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Pit mixes have always been good for us. They love my kids and are very protective of them
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 2:54:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Golden retriever. You don’t need much of a back yard to play fetch every night.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 2:54:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Cairn Terrier FTW!!!

Link Posted: 3/4/2023 2:57:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Weimaraner or German Shepherd.    Female.    Then I dare any adult to contemplate fucking with your kids or wife...
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 2:58:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Don’t get a doodle anything.

Just get a Standard Poodle.

Much cheaper, smart as hell, and an all around great dog.

Lots of people like to throw out blanket statements about how Doodles don’t shed, but the couldn’t be more wrong.

When you are making a mutt, with a poodle and something else, the something else’s genes could throw a puppy that sheds.

No doodle backyard puppy mill will tell you that.  They all claim their dogs don’t shed.

It’s a crapshoot.

Getting them a haircut once every two or three months is not that big of a deal.

Not having gobs of hair all over is totally worth it.

We have two labs and a poodle, and there is hair everywhere, but not from the poodle.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 3:03:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Pit mixes have always been good for us. They love my kids and are very protective of them
View Quote

I believe they call that "being food possessive "
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Do NOT get a dachshund.
View Quote
My daughters gets along fine with her two sisters.
Youngest daughter loved him up so much and had so much patience with her.

He will protect anybody in the house and even babies.
His only knock is is food protective. We played with his food and him as he ate but he decided to get food protective.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 3:06:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Husky
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 3:08:53 PM EDT
[#32]
SMall backyard -- small dog.

Its not fair for large breeds to be cramped  IMHO
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 3:12:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Lots of people like to throw out blanket statements about how Doodles don’t shed, but the couldn’t be more wrong.

When you are making a mutt, with a poodle and something else, the something else’s genes could throw a puppy that sheds.

No doodle backyard puppy mill will tell you that.  They all claim their dogs don’t shed.

It’s a crapshoot.

Getting them a haircut once every two or three months is not that big of a deal.

We have two labs and a poodle, and there is hair everywhere, but not from the poodle.
View Quote

This.
Poodles don't have fur, they have hair that needs to be cut.
We have Toys, started with a bitch pup that is papered.  Bread her with a papered sire and got us a male.  They are active and love doing tricks.  They are also just plain adorable.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 3:12:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Guarding my youngest as she napped a few years ago.
She can do just about anything to him.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 3:16:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Shetland Sheep Dog

Shelltie

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 3:19:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Considering the neighborhood, I would recommend

Link Posted: 3/4/2023 3:21:45 PM EDT
[#37]
OP,,I'm almost 70 and have had dogs all my life. By FAR the best I've had are our last two which were Boxers. They are pillows for children. Fast, strong and powerful. Fiercely loyal and protective. Alert and smart. Family entertainment with a built in talent show every day.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 3:22:59 PM EDT
[#38]
We have had Boxers for many years, and they are great family dogs, and although a lot of folks say they are too high energy, we have found they adjust to your lifestyle.

They have the goofiest personality, can even spell I think, are great watchdogs, don't shed, but can fart a dead rat, and slobber everywhere, oh and snore like a truck running.

We are on our 3rd one now.
I lost my 2nd one, another European Boxer male December 24th of 2022, from a weak heart.
He was 10 years old.
A sad day-

I had a European Boxer who was my K9 partner for about 7 years.
He was all about the job, while on the job.

Off the job, he was a slobbery, friendly family dog who knew no enemies, unless I uttered a word in Chech.
Then it was all business.
He just knew the difference between off-duty and on-duty.

Sadly, he has been gone since 2016.
He made it to 13 years.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 3:23:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Beagle. Get two
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 3:23:04 PM EDT
[#40]
English or Irish Setter.  Or GSP.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 3:23:22 PM EDT
[#41]
My next dog will be a redbone coonhound
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 3:24:40 PM EDT
[#42]
I'd never known a poodle before but we rescued an old female and I've never seen a smarter dog.  The gay stuff people do with their grooming is completely optional - they do need care but they don't need topiary.  I understand they're very protective of kids and they absolutely don't shed.  A standard poodle is a great choice.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 3:25:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The correct answer was in the first reply.

There is no better family dog than a lab or golden.
View Quote

This. But, Lab>Golden. Some Goldens need to chase a ball, ALL day to be content.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 3:25:37 PM EDT
[#44]
There IS a REASON why Labs and Goldies are by far the top family dogs in the western hemisphere.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 3:26:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It’s a crapshoot.

View Quote

That may be true, but I know half a dozen doodles and none of them shed. Mom has a black labradoodle and best friend has two goldens.

Poodles and poodle mixes are good choices though, IMO. Purebred poodles are terrific dogs.

If you want a small dog, Pomeranians are smarter, more affectionate, and more trainable than other little dogs. They're very entertaining and don't have excessive exercise needs because they're so small they can play anywhere. They're like a big dog that isn't. You want to wait until the kids are old enough not to hurt it though.

We have a Pomsky we absolutely love, but I can't recommend one because they vary so much in what you get. If you get lucky you get a Pom with husky markings and fur, but if you get unlucky you get a world class troublemaker.

A doberman is a better choice than people imagine, they aren't that big and don't require as much room as you think, and they're very affectionate and even-tempered, short fur cleans up easy.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#46]
My black shepherd/lab mix is super fun and sweet. Has lots of energy for the child.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 3:30:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This, lab will be a little easier to deal with with small yard, but be warned, couch potato mode takes about 2.5 years to activate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lab or golden

Agree. Sometimes a little longer. Worth it in the long run though.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 3:33:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Do you like your kids?

That plays a big factor in breed selection according to GD....
View Quote
Lol
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 3:34:39 PM EDT
[#49]
I is a people!! Haha
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 3:34:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Inside Dag? Shih-Tzu.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top