User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Golden
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 5:37:25 PM EDT
[#2]
My lab is a major asshoe like china to everyone and everything except wife and kids. As I have stated before even our vet is likeAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Brittany

Hands down one the best dogs you could ever own.   I have had 4 in my 62 years of life all have been joy to own.. awesome bird dog and family pet all in one

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61504/brit-2733564.jpg

View Quote

I have a Brit. Great dogs but you need to have a high activity level to keep them happy. At least that is what I was told. Mine is a couch potato lol.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 7:17:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Beagle
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 7:27:07 PM EDT
[#5]
If you don’t like your kids, pit  bull.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 7:32:04 PM EDT
[#6]
May I suggest an all American mutt around 60-70 pounds from a shelter.
Lab mixes tend to work out great.
Go shelter shopping..
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 7:32:56 PM EDT
[#7]
We rescued a 2 year old Great Pyrenees for our 2 year old daughter.

She lays around all day and dreams of the day someone or something goes after our daughter.

After owning a wire fox terrier and a shitzu, it’s amazing to see a GP go after something. They get scary quickly.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Get a dog from a rescue or the pound. There are more dogs (even purebred) at shelters here than you would imagine. Save a dog's life.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 7:39:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
May I suggest an all American mutt around 60-70 pounds from a shelter.
Lab mixes tend to work out great.
Go shelter shopping..
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/4/2023 7:46:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Jack Russel Terrorist.  Honestly, it doesn't matter. Go to the shelter and rescue one of those babies, bring it home and make it yours.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 7:47:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I also said Caucasian Shepherd.
View Quote

That would be my pick also.......    Sorry OP don't do that.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 7:47:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Best dog I ever had was a beagle mix mutt.
My current dog, basset hound, I think would be great with kids, doesn't require miles long walks.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 7:49:25 PM EDT
[#13]
One of the mastiff types would work.  They're couch potato dogs that don't need too much exercise.  Gentle with kids, but take care with small kids because they're big.  Don't need big yards.  Of course, don't skimp on training them.  Most junkie types probably won't mess with you if you're walking one.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 7:49:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Fila Brasileiro

J/k

Get a Lab
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 7:51:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Get a dog from a rescue or the pound. There are more dogs (even purebred) at shelters here than you would imagine. Save a dog's life.
View Quote
If you go the pound route look for a young purebred.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#16]
OP could try to contact the person who took over for Jokers rescue
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 7:54:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you go the pound route look for a young purebred.
View Quote

That's pretty hard to find

You mostly have to go to a breeder for that.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 7:54:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Boston Dynamics

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 8:03:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Miniature Bull Terrier.

Stubborn as you read about, goofy as you read about, super clingy, super loving, tough, non dog aggressive but Gator don't take no shit either. Not a pit bull, not remotely a pit bull, not from pit bulls, not bred for dogfighting, bred as ratter, one is in my face as I type this.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 9:09:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My next dog will be a redbone coonhound
View Quote

@grayman89
I have one and a walker hound now. Have had many in the past. Hit me up for any questions.
Fantastic breed but they are hair factories.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 9:23:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I see a lot of recommendations for breeds that have high energy levels, especially for the first several years. With a small yard and only one longer walk per day, that’s a recipe for trouble and unhappiness.

Depending on your commitment to grooming:

Coton de Tulear - happy-go-lucky, friendly, energetic enough to play and romp, but not so energetic that it needs more than a small yard and a walk or two. Trainable and easy-going.

Border Terrier - spunky, friendly, intelligent, trainable, playful. Great family dogs.

Schipperke - a big dog in a small body. Fun-loving personality, generally gets along well with their family, may be skeptical of strangers

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel - want to be with you and doing what you’re doing, always. Sweet, gentle, docile, and very affectionate.

Link Posted: 3/5/2023 9:27:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Go to shelter with kids, pick dog they like and that likes them.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 9:27:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Definitely a pitbull
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/5/2023 9:28:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Mutts. Mutts rule.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 9:31:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd say lab, golden or Australian shepherd.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 9:35:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Not a corgi.
Get a golden retriever.
(We have both)
The corgi is hilarious but they can be constantly trying to herd you around the house and be "nippy".
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 9:37:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Lab or golden
View Quote
FPNI.   End Thread.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 9:45:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Boxer or Golden Boxer mix.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 9:46:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
French bulldog

Great Pyrenees

Westie

Cavalier King Charles
View Quote

You cannot make those bite someone….they make lovable labs seem mean.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 9:51:33 PM EDT
[#30]

He looks serious
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 9:56:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Take the online breed quizzes. Don’t buy on looks, buy in general breed characteristics.

What size? Energy level? Grooming? Type and amount of shedding you’ll tolerate.

Short haired breeds shed a ton and it gets stuck in the furniture upholstery. Long hair will float into your food.

Golden retrievers are generally great dogs. But they can be needy and high energy. We like the Keeshond. Great with kids, medium energy, medium sized. Good alert dogs but won’t attack. But they’re barkers, shed heavily twice per year, need regular grooming.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 9:57:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Brittany

Hands down one the best dogs you could ever own.   I have had 4 in my 62 years of life all have been joy to own.. awesome bird dog and family pet all in one

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61504/brit-2733564.jpg

View Quote

Brits are awesome, and I've owned a couple of them, but they are high energy dogs.  At least the one I had, which were out of hardcore hunting lines.  I ran them hard and hunted them a lot, so they were OK.  But when I was working a lot and they weren't getting the exercise or the bird work they were built for, they were not happy.

And "walks" aren't exercise for them.  They need to run hard.

Unless you can somehow get Brits from a "lazy" bloodline (I don't know if that exists), it seems like a bad idea.  I currently have a 10 month old yellow lab puppy.   She's high energy and needs a lot of exercise, but not like my Brits did.  Plus, eventually, she'll slow down (I hope).
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 10:08:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Pomeranian
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 10:09:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I hear they LOVE kids
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Definitely a pitbull

I hear they LOVE kids

Especially when they're slathered in A1 sauce.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 10:22:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Bought my girls an English Doodle for Christmas. It’s a cross between an English Cocker & a Golden Doodle. He’s been a good boy so far; trainable & playful. Good personality, energetic, likes to retrieve & play, mild temperament, & observant. I think he will be a good family dog / house pet. He kinda likes looks like a smaller golden retriever.
We had a dauschund before which was our best friend/brother (a true once in lifetime dog). Also had a Yorkie (sweet girl, just not the bond with the kids that our weiner had). Our weiner could read facial expressions & had the personality of a child, could love & get mad about things. He was hornary at times but loved the children fiercely. Daushunds are special breeds, probably the most loyal I’ve had this far. As far as gentle goes the English Doodle gets the nod. As far as personality goes, the weiner wins. We all miss him.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 11:20:42 PM EDT
[#36]
How attached are you to these kids? APBT if not much.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 11:46:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Multigenerational Miniature Australian Labradoodle.  Disclaimer:  I breed and sell them.

Developed through generations by two kennels in Australia, hence the name.  No Aussie anything in them.  They are from careful breeding of Irish Water Spaniels, American Cocker Spaniels, English Cocker Spaniels, and of course the Labradoodle.

Small, around 25 lbs.  Wavy fleece coat, non shedding and hypoallergenic.  Not barky, good cuddlers, and very smart.  Easy to train and very biddable.  They were originally bred to be therapy dogs and I have placed several in homes with PTSD, autism, stroke alert, and so on.  

More about the breed.
We are also on FB, Harmony Hills Australian Labradoodles
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 12:11:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My lab is a major asshoe like china to everyone and everything except wife and kids. As I have stated before even our vet is likehttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/264989/5ECC74CA-E3A0-40C3-9A41-4B7E84C22B4E_jpe-2733883.JPG
View Quote

The most paranoid, schitzo and mean dog I ever met was a Yellow Lab
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 12:22:48 AM EDT
[#39]
It appears people keep overlooking the small yard requirement.  Labs, goldens, Great Pyrenees, and the like will be frustrated in a small yard and will guarantee it is torn up and looks like shit.  

Go for a smaller dog.  We have a Coton de Tulear/ Cavalier King Charles mix.  About 10 pounds. Loves walks, loves kids, isn’t noisy, is hypoallergenic (does not shed at all).  Absolutely wonderful dog.  

There are plenty of other mixed breed dogs with similar traits.  Don’t limit your self to a pure breed.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 12:31:24 AM EDT
[#40]
A lab is what you seek... Our chocolate passed away at 14.5 years old last spring. Best dog we have ever had. Loved our 4 kids till death. We just replaced her with a black lab. "Dixie" is fitting right in and already irreplaceable. Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Our ole gray bearded chocolate, Hannah
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 12:41:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Bostons are wonderful companions.

If you happen upon a Lab/GSP mix, I highly recommend that too.  This guy is one of the most mellow, laid-back dogs I've ever known.

Link Posted: 3/6/2023 12:56:11 AM EDT
[#42]
None - rescue pet.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 12:56:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Cockapoo or mini doodle
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 1:00:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Maybe save the money and move?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My wife and kids want a dog.

We have a small backyard.

Neighborhood is walkable if armed so I will probably be the only one taking the dog on long walks. Maybe once a day realistically.

Hot summers, cold winters in OK.

Must be good with kids.

Suggestions?

Maybe save the money and move?

I'm kinda leaning that way also. Maybe can the dog idea and get a flying squirrel on a leash instead. That way there he'd keep up with you kinda like running with a kite, high speed, low drag style if things really go south.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 1:01:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Cockapoo or mini doodle
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/6/2023 1:04:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Great lap dogs and not too much energy for a small yard.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 1:05:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Overpriced Mutts with hit or miss temperaments and coats.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 1:09:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Lab.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 1:11:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Shipoos are awesome
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 1:13:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Shipoos are awesome
View Quote

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top