Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 5:28:55 PM EDT
[#1]

“It’s not the plane, it’s the pilot...what is achievable comes down to the pilot in the box.”
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 5:30:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He definitely had a history by that time. I think he was dealing with some personal stuff but it seems he'd come in swinging (I think maybe he was drunk or on something because his typing/posting noticeably changed, especially in the evenings) and would just unload on people even if they innocently asked a question about an F-16 or something else figher/plane related. I know myself and several others asked him to pump the brakes a bit. I hope he's doing well and getting some help. He had a lot of knowledge but was really unhinged by the time he finally caught the banhammer imho.
View Quote

Without going into medical detail. Bull has a pretty serious shadow in a psychological sense. I’ve been trying for years to help him with that. But it seems that he is incapable of fully expressing his anger when appropriate. So it leaks out in inappropriate moments.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 5:31:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Oh yeah...that goes against everything we learned between Korea and NAM. I korea we had a kill ratio of 13-1 and then in Nam it fell to 3:1 because our dog fighting skills lacked.
View Quote
Truly ignorant post. Missile technology has changed at least 5 metric fuck tons since Vietnam.
The biggest issue in Vietnam was the missiles were barely ever reliable. It would be like carrying a fucking Jennings.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 5:31:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

“It’s not the plane, it’s the pilot...what is achievable comes down to the pilot in the box.”
View Quote

Its not the man in the arena. Its the man most gay in the arena. The man who is most submissive to the man who was most gay in the arena. Victory goes to that man.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 5:32:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Without going into medical detail. Bull has a pretty serious shadow in a psychological sense. I've been trying for years to help him with that. But it seems that he is incapable of fully expressing his anger when appropriate. So it leaks out in inappropriate moments.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He definitely had a history by that time. I think he was dealing with some personal stuff but it seems he'd come in swinging (I think maybe he was drunk or on something because his typing/posting noticeably changed, especially in the evenings) and would just unload on people even if they innocently asked a question about an F-16 or something else figher/plane related. I know myself and several others asked him to pump the brakes a bit. I hope he's doing well and getting some help. He had a lot of knowledge but was really unhinged by the time he finally caught the banhammer imho.

Without going into medical detail. Bull has a pretty serious shadow in a psychological sense. I've been trying for years to help him with that. But it seems that he is incapable of fully expressing his anger when appropriate. So it leaks out in inappropriate moments.
I appreciate you trying. Would love for him to get it fixed and maybe get a reprieve and join this motley crew of hooligans again.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 5:36:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Its not the man in the arena. Its the man most gay in the arena. The man who is most submissive to the man who was most gay in the arena. Victory goes to that man.
View Quote

To quote Eclipsa here...

Sort of a Sword Hand Dance?

Looks like fun.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 5:37:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I appreciate you trying. Would love for him to get it fixed and maybe get a reprieve and join this motley crew of hooligans again.
View Quote

Up to the moderators I suppose...
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 5:53:24 PM EDT
[#8]
When the press was hot over the new Top Gun, there was a podcast that interviewed a former Top Gun instructor. He said 95% came down to pilot skill and experience - the instructors could fly rings around the trainees because they had so much more airtime.

He said he mostly flew F16s because that's what they were using as "enemy" aircraft. He said he did fly against an F15 once in a joint training exercise with the Air Force, and the F15 pilot made him look stupid.

I wish I could remember his name or the podcast.

It might have been one of these guys:

TOPGUN Instructors React to 'Top Gun: Maverick'
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 6:07:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Tag
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 6:09:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Up to the moderators I suppose...
View Quote

Hesperus is thinking "how do I make something involving F-15s and F-18s more gay without saying 'Naval Flight Officer?'"

Fucking genius dude.

Motherfucking genius.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 7:01:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

511rnds
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think that's correct.  If my Google fu is working the F-15 has 960 rounds while the 16 has 830.

511rnds

I think the 15 actually carries slightly less canon ammo
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 8:47:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
She used to be a member here, but lost interest
View Quote

She sounds like a keeper

Link Posted: 6/15/2023 9:06:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Hesperus is thinking "how do I make something involving F-15s and F-18s more gay without saying 'Naval Flight Officer?'"

Fucking genius dude.

Motherfucking genius.
View Quote

I'm not understanding the joke. I realize you are a .mil pilot, but can't figure out what you piloted. I understand I am dumb, and accept that.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 9:18:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm not understanding the joke. I realize you are a .mil pilot, but can't figure out what you piloted. I understand I am dumb, and accept that.
View Quote

Fuck no.

I can however do IOE in under 25 hours, so there is that.

I just make fun of military pilots.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 9:21:43 PM EDT
[#15]
F-16 > F-18 > F-15 in a dogfight
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 9:37:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Fuck no.

View Quote

I am legitimately lost and have no idea what you are talking about. I guess I'm not part of the cool crowd.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 9:58:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I am not a fighter pilot.  Not even played DCS.

BUT.

Before the merge F-15

AT the merge and past the merge F-16

F-18 splashed in the ocean after take off.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 10:03:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
F-16 > F-18 > F-15 in a dogfight
View Quote

a 15 can out-dogfight an F18
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 2:23:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Just when I really start to think this place is becoming a lost cause a real SME posts something like that and keeps me around.

For anyone interested in this exact scenario look up Growling Sidewinder on YouTube.  Yes, it's a simulator with civilians flying but he has a ton of videos dogfighting different stuff.  The F-16 kills just about everything in a rate fight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I heard my name being called

The F16 and F18 are multirole combat aircraft and very capable, and the pilots need to be proficient in everything they do, not just air to air.

However theF15 is optimized for air to air and that is all the pilot does.

In a BVR environment I think the F15 has the edge both in experience of the pilot and capability of the jet. But it does hinge on pilot capability and can go either way.  Adding in the complexity of large scale ops in a hostile environment I think the Eagle has a clear advantage.

In a training configuration which is what we mostly do,  the F16 can turn up it's own asshole and in a close in fight in  clean configuration the F16 is a clearly superior turning machine.

The F18 clearly has better maneuverability very slow speed, less than 200 knots, but again in a real fight if you are below 200 knots you are fucked if there is more than 1 threat.

However, nobody hits the merge real world with a single missile on the rails and nobody willing throws out the anchor to fight below 200 knots, because in a near peer battle, we are out numbered and a sitting duck with limited ordinance and / or slow speed.

In a combat configuration with a full load of missiles except for the ones employed on the way to the merge, I think the F15 can turn tighter that both the F16 and F18, and accelerate faster with a combat load

The Eagle is big, but because it is big with big motors, it can do more G and sustain airspeed better than the F16 and F18 with a bunch of missiles hanging out in the air. But I am going back many years, things may have changed and I have never fought either jet with a combat load.

Being optimized for air to air has an advantage in a real multi aircraft engagement but the outcome squarely rests with the pilot.

Great stuff!

Just when I really start to think this place is becoming a lost cause a real SME posts something like that and keeps me around.

For anyone interested in this exact scenario look up Growling Sidewinder on YouTube.  Yes, it's a simulator with civilians flying but he has a ton of videos dogfighting different stuff.  The F-16 kills just about everything in a rate fight.

F/A-18C Hornet Vs F-15C Eagle | DOGFIGHT | Digital Combat Simulator | DCS |

How Good Is The New Eagle ? | F-15EX Eagle Vs F-16 Viper | Intercept | Digital Combat Simulator |

F-15EX Eagle II Vs F-16C Viper | BVR | Digital Combat Simulator | DCS |
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 7:32:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

a 15 can out-dogfight an F18
View Quote

I have no clue, but Ryan Bodenheimer, a retired F15E flight commander and F16 Thunderbird pilot, said he would rather dogfight an f18 in an f16 than an f15.

Something to do with the F18's superior low speed maneuverability over the F15.

FF all the way to the end @ 23 minute mark.

Fighter Pilot Reacts To SU-57 vs F-18 Top Gun Maverick
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Depends on definition of dog fight. Close in with guns it’s probably the 16. Simple air to air using missiles as soon as in range…Eagle
View Quote

This.

The F-16 outrates everything except maybe 2-3 aircraft. That's great in a gunfight. But the Eagle is going to smash an F-16 in BVR.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 7:38:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

F18 is technically limited to 7.5G's

the 15 and 16 can pull 9
View Quote

I recently saw a documentary where a Top Gun instructor pulled 10.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 7:41:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The F15 would just punch it to create distance, then reengage.

It has a shit ton more thrust than a F16 so can create distance.

Let countermeasures handle the missiles that would be inbound.

I know nothing about modern dogfighting, as my post clearly shows...
View Quote

If you try to extend away from a close in dogfight, the other plane is just going to Fox 2 you.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 8:10:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If you try to extend away from a close in dogfight, the other plane is just going to Fox 2 you.
View Quote

If you stay in a "close in dogfight," the other plane is just going to Fox 2 you with JHMCS.
If he's running away, he's getting a Fox 3.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 8:17:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You need a hades bomb too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Depends if the F-16 driver has an awesome soundtrack strapped to his leg.

You need a hades bomb too.

An F-16 can land, fire AGM-65s into parked F-15s and takeoff unscathed. Doesn’t even need to dogfight.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 10:13:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's what flares are for...
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 7:48:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That's what flares Hail Marys are for...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what flares Hail Marys are for...

Fixed

No one is using flares to consistently shed AIM-9Xs.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 10:21:16 PM EDT
[#28]
AIM-9x is just a beast of an IR missile.

And I know the IR missile tech has gone beyond the countermeasures.

At least American IR missiles.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 10:42:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Fuck no.

View Quote

HA!
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 10:43:55 PM EDT
[#30]
F15 is sexier. So I'll say f15
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 10:54:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I think people have  thrown around this question a bit.   I saw this article and had to read it.  

Upon reading it, a friend I know had to call BS on the prospective of the F-15 being slow.  That is simply absurd.

I would be interested in hearing what the pilots and aviation types here have to say.

For the sake of discussion, let us consider the optimum version of each of these.   I would suppose those would be :

F-15 EX

F-16V (Block 70/72)

F-18 E/F (Block III)

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/f-15-vs-f-16-vs-f-a-18-the-aircrews-perspective/
View Quote

There are some guys that post here that actually flew combat aircraft that can probably chime in. My limited understanding comes from reading accounts written by others.

What those accounts tell me is that it’s probably the F16 since it was more or less designed as a dogfighter.  In a rate fight, it’s better than the other two.

However the situation is not that cut and dried. The F18 is said to be a world class one circle dogfighter. It should lose to the F16 in a rate fight but defeat the F16 in a one circle fight.

The F15 I haven’t seen as much written about except that it’s a world class fighter when fighting at beyond visual range. It also is supposed to have unusually good maneuverability at high altitude and a very good radar system.

My uneducated opinion is that the real winner of the guy who has more flight hours in his machine and/or more actual combat experience.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 10:57:01 PM EDT
[#32]
These questions come up fairly often, and I used to actively participate in them. There used to be quite a bit of .mil aviation guys here, sadly I dont see them post much anymore. According to GD the only guys that actually know the answer, ironically; have never been around a .mil jet.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 11:09:25 PM EDT
[#33]
I vote 16 because the 15 pilot is always cocky and ends up making a mistake. How many times every year does an Eagle do a rejoin on red air at red flag exercises? F-16 vs F-18, the hornet does weird cobra shit while the overshooting viper doing an auto-gcas manuever ends up lighting a path for a 9x. Whatever happens, many multi-hundred page books will come out of it. Grab your signed copy today!
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 11:12:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think that's correct.  If my Google fu is working the F-15 has 960 rounds while the 16 has 830.

511rnds

Nope.

The Eagle carries over 900 rounds.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 11:16:31 PM EDT
[#35]
The 18 is the more modern of the bunch so Ima go with F18
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 11:21:07 PM EDT
[#36]
The ghost of Robin Olds piloting an F4 that you think is an F105. That's the one.

Fighter Pilot is an attitude.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 10:31:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I have no clue, but Ryan Bodenheimer, a retired F15E flight commander and F16 Thunderbird pilot, said he would rather dogfight an f18 in an f16 than an f15.

Something to do with the F18's superior low speed maneuverability over the F15.

FF all the way to the end @ 23 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9yJTgDr6Zs
View Quote

True, if you get something like <400kts, the 18 cna out turn just about anything.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 10:38:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Nope.

View Quote

That's weird, according to both General Dynamics and Jane's All the World's Aircraft, the M61A1 loadout for the F15 is 500 rounds
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 10:42:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Su-75 Femboy Checkmate will win.

Also, F-35 is great at CAS and Marine One is a helicopter
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 10:57:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That's weird, according to both General Dynamics and Jane's All the World's Aircraft, the M61A1 loadout for the F15 is 500 rounds
View Quote

The Strike Eagle "only" carries 510, cost of having a second crew member.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 11:07:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It's thread like this where I miss CMjohnson coming up in here and giving us his authoritative answer to every fighter question.

View Quote

Ha!  I remember him!  He would even argue with real fighter pilots!
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 12:28:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The Strike Eagle "only" carries 510, cost of having a second crew member.
View Quote

That makes sense, thanks
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 12:39:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

You might be surprised at just how short the max range is of a missile going after a receding target.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 12:45:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
These questions come up fairly often, and I used to actively participate in them. There used to be quite a bit of .mil aviation guys here, sadly I dont see them post much anymore. According to GD the only guys that actually know the answer, ironically; have never been around a .mil jet.
View Quote

It is mostly that a discussion like this is pointless.

Just in the same way that a football game or a F1 race isn't a match of statistics, so neither is a dogfight. It is a mix of aircraft capabilities, pilot skill, and essentially random circumstances which make it impossible to wargame an answer to. Every match up is going to differ, and the tipping point between success and failure often rests on execution errors or chance events that nobody can predict.

There's a reason why the standard fighter pilot answer to a question is, "it depends."

But sadly nobody wants to hear a nuanced answer...and after the 100th attempt to point out a nuanced answer and having people with no experience in the arena declare that you're wrong...it is easier to just sit back and watch.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 12:48:30 PM EDT
[#45]
AWACS spots the other plane 200 miles away and crosslinks the info to you. You never turn on your radar.
You approach from any angle you want and launch an AMRAAM D from 75 miles or so. Go home and watch Netflix.

I have no idea why ARFCOM is so hung up on fighting like the Red Baron.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 12:53:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:I have no idea why ARFCOM is so hung up on fighting like the Red Baron.
View Quote

Probably because every large force exercise in the world repeatedly proves that GCI/AWACS and ASEA radars aren't magical 4D prismatic rotating all-aspect SA, and unobserved entries and random surprise merges occur regularly.  Even with datalink, JHMCS, and every other toy.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 12:58:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
AWACS spots the other plane 200 miles away and crosslinks the info to you. You never turn on your radar.
You approach from any angle you want and launch an AMRAAM D from 75 miles or so. Go home and watch Netflix.

I have no idea why ARFCOM is so hung up on fighting like the Red Baron.
View Quote

It's cooler and manlier. Watching arty blast helpless targets is fun. Watching tanks engage with direct fire is way way more exciting.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 12:59:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

Look up F-15C

940 rounds
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 9:21:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Look up F-15C

940 rounds
View Quote

I have worked C's for a long time, I always see 880 as the number. I need to ask them why.
Also I've noticed that when they are ferrying with 3 tanks and travel pods the round count will be really low, like REALLY low. Weight is my guess, they seem to struggle to get off the deck in full burner (I know better but you get my drift).
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 9:52:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I have worked C's for a long time, I always see 880 as the number. I need to ask them why.
Also I've noticed that when they are ferrying with 3 tanks and travel pods the round count will be really low, like REALLY low. Weight is my guess, they seem to struggle to get off the deck in full burner (I know better but you get my drift).
View Quote

Never flew Cs, how often were they flying with live rounds? On the Es, setting the counter to >799 (900 was standard) hydraulically safed the gun.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top