User Panel

Site Notices
Who watches Anime? (Page 227 of 754)
Page / 754
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 4:09:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JPN] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bacon_Grease:

I think the point of his overpowered state is he is the ultimate gamer. They the first season of Sao they make it clear it's not that he is strong he just understands how games work. The subsequent seasons they forget to show he's taking advantage of the mechanics and somehow he is just strong.
View Quote
I'd have to go back and watch the episode, to see if it was explained in the anime, but when he deals with the villain with the knife outside Asuna's hospital at the end of the second arc, the book did mention that it was an issue of nearly 2 years of combat experience with blades, vs a larger, stronger opponent that had essentially no experience in fighting with blades.  Earlier in the same arc, he lost an informal match against his sister, because his physical body was too much of a handicap in dealing with someone who didn't have the same level of combat experience, but did have training and match experience in the real world.

ETA: In the GGO spinoff, this issue is touched on with the tactical group that is using the game for training purposes.  They use their teamwork and tactics to wipe out other groups, but then take casualties when they encounter the main character and her ridiculous speed (an issue of mental reaction time being far faster than is physically possible in the real world).  Their squad leader throws in the towel, because she is an anomaly that they could never encounter in the real world.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 4:12:46 PM EDT
[#2]
And the award to most fucked up anime I've ever seen goes to..... Happy Sugar Life.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 4:17:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Darkstar117] [#3]
[     ]
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 4:18:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 4:19:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Hunter-Killer:
And the award to most fucked up anime I've ever seen goes to..... Happy Sugar Life.
View Quote
I feel like there are levels of f'ed up you have yet to explore. But ya that crazy aunt
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 4:27:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Darkstar117:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61270/vlcsnap-17267-606766.jpg
I read the manga when it was still in serialization, from chapter ones release.
It's not too often you get to say someone out-yanderes Gasai Yuno, especially in a yuri series.

I would say the most messed up series I have read/watched, in non-hentai settings, are Bokurano &  Shadow Star.
They both make the "shit just gets worse" setting go into overdrive.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
It's not too often you get to say someone out-yanderes Gasai Yuno, especially in a yuri series.

I would say the most messed up series I have read/watched, in non-hentai settings, are Bokurano &  Shadow Star.
They both make the "shit just gets worse" setting go into overdrive.
What made it almost funny is if a random person just looked at the title and watched the start of the intro they'd probably think it was a kids show.

Happy Sugar Life OP ハピシュガアニメ
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 4:33:56 PM EDT
[#7]

What made it almost funny is if a random person just looked at the title and watched the start of the intro they'd probably think it was a kids show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QvZYI00voE
View Quote
There was a show where a random person could look at the title and watch almost to the end of the first episode, thinking it was another simple 'school life' show with a group of cute girls... ...then it turns out to be a zombie apocalypse show.  Some shows go for the 'gotcha' effect.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 4:41:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I just finished the 3rd series of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. I understand why this show is loved by so many people. It certainly lives up to its name. The show is packed full of interesting characters, and those characters are given plenty of moments to shine.

The dub is also great. How could you not like Johnny Yong Bosch attempting a British accent in season 1?
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 4:44:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hunter-Killer] [#9]
I feel like there are levels of f'ed up you have yet to explore. But ya that crazy aunt
View All Quotes
Oh, I'm sure there is.  What really got me about the show was....

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 4:44:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Darkstar117] [#10]
[     ]
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 4:47:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Seiran:
And was explained in the movie that he hasn't been doing anything really in terms of outside activity. Asuna essentially called him fat, and Sugu was saying he hadn't done any training in a long time, and that she'd give him some lessons.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Seiran:
Originally Posted By JPN:

I think the point of his overpowered state is he is the ultimate gamer. They the first season of Sao they make it clear it's not that he is strong he just understands how games work. The subsequent seasons they forget to show he's taking advantage of the mechanics and somehow he is just strong.
I'd have to go back and watch the episode, to see if it was explained in the anime, but when he deals with the villain with the knife outside Asuna's hospital at the end of the second arc, the book did mention that it was an issue of nearly 2 years of combat experience with blades, vs a larger, stronger opponent that had essentially no experience in fighting with blades.  Earlier in the same arc, he lost an informal match against his sister, because his physical body was too much of a handicap in dealing with someone who didn't have the same level of combat experience, but did have training and match experience in the real world.
And was explained in the movie that he hasn't been doing anything really in terms of outside activity. Asuna essentially called him fat, and Sugu was saying he hadn't done any training in a long time, and that she'd give him some lessons.
Yeah, it's a mix of understanding the game mechanics, and having ridiculously fast mental reaction time.  Works great in a virtual game, but not so great in the physical world, if the physical body can't keep up.

Same sort of comparison can be made in the 'does airsoft translate well to real gun training?' topic.  It can help, but there are differences that can cause problems if you focus on one and ignore the other.  The growing popularity of VR headsets and first person shooter games for them, presents the same comparison, but moves it one step closer to SAO.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 4:48:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Darkstar117] [#12]
[     ]
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 4:50:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hunter-Killer] [#13]
There was a show where a random person could look at the title and watch almost to the end of the first episode, thinking it was another simple 'school life' show with a group of cute girls... ...then it turns out to be a zombie apocalypse show.  Some shows go for the 'gotcha' effect.
View All Quotes

If you're talking about Highschool of the Dead I think that person would only have themselves to blame for that one.

Sickest intro of any anime I've ever seen.

Highschool of the Dead Opening 1
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 4:50:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JPN] [#14]

The manga for Gahou Gurashi has been completely scanlated.

It's worth the read.
View Quote
Like I need to add another manga to the reading list.

ETA: I'm currently wondering how things are going to turn out between the guy that's writing a list of 100 things to do before turning into a zombie, and the girl that's writing a list of 100 things to do to avoid becoming a zombie.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 4:51:02 PM EDT
[#15]
And if anyone here hasn't watched Highschool of the Dead I highly recommend it for every ARFCOMMER that's a fan of anime.

The whole series is on youtube.

Link Posted: 11/29/2019 4:53:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JPN] [#16]
If you're talking about Highschool of the Dead I think that person would only have themselves to blame for that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQwQMeb-44g
View All Quotes

Nope.  It was a different 'zombies attack the school' series, that aired sometime after Highschool of the Dead.

School Live
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 4:56:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#17]
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Nope.  It was a different 'zombies attack the school' series, that aired sometime after Highschool of the Dead.

School Live
View All Quotes

School Live
Would you recommend it?
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 5:03:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
It’s so weird sounding when a subtitled anime has a line of Engrish that hey try to pronounce with L’s. Like professor bitch in assassination classroom does all the time. I don’t know why but it sounds so weird and funny.
View Quote
Yeah, in Happy Sugar Life they always said "my happy sugar life."  I thought that was kinda odd.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 5:32:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Would you recommend it?
View All Quotes

School Live
Would you recommend it?
Depends on your preferences.  It's not a happy show.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 5:41:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#22]

The manga for Bokurano is still the best of the "depressing & shit gets worse" series I have ever read.
Those both make the "shit just gets worse" setting go into overdrive, and this is coming from someone that loves the Madoka series.
View All Quotes

The manga for Bokurano is still the best of the "depressing & shit gets worse" series I have ever read.
Those both make the "shit just gets worse" setting go into overdrive, and this is coming from someone that loves the Madoka series.
Oh please, sugar life is a walk in the park compared to Tokyo Red Hood, but then again that short series is so ridiculous that it is borderline comedy

Shadowstar though, yeah, right in the feels.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 5:46:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hunter-Killer] [#23]
View All Quotes

School Live
Would you recommend it?
Is it like Highschool of the Dead? I really enjoyed that.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 5:55:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Question for those that have seen My Hero Academia:

I’m about halfway though S2 and so far it’s okay.  However, it is becoming increasingly annoying how it seems nearly every episode Izuku cries his eyes out like some emotional jr high girl that just got dumped in front of the whole school.  Without any spoilers can y’all tell me if he ever stops doing that?
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 6:22:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Darkstar117] [#25]
[     ]
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 6:43:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Darkstar117] [#26]
[     ]
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 6:46:30 PM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes

School Live
Would you recommend it?
No.  Instead of showing a group accepting or tossing away their past emotional problems, to allow them to adapt and deal with the problems of surviving in their new reality, it shows a group trying to deal with the emotional problems caused by having to adapt and deal with the problems of surviving in their new reality.

Not everyone is an arfcommer that would yell "FUCK YEAH!", put on their gear, check their perimeter, then evaluate the risks of doing a little recon (and maybe finding hotties in need of rescue), if every news media outlet started reporting that the zombie apocalypse has started.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 7:20:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:

Oh please, sugar life is a walk in the park compared to Tokyo Red Hood, but then again that short series is so ridiculous that it is borderline comedy

Shadowstar though, yeah, right in the feels.
View Quote
Red hood is practically hentai.

But when it comes to stories more rooted in reality ya sugar life is up there.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 8:01:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#29]

But when it comes to stories more rooted in reality ya sugar life is up there.
View Quote
I'd say so

Also on red hood, is it? it's been over 12 years since I read it so I don't remember, just that it was mind twistingly fucked up

Eta, after getting reacquainted with it yeah I say so too, 15 year old me did not know the differences yet.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 8:40:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Darkstar117] [#30]
[     ]
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 8:53:56 PM EDT
[#31]

So is Highschool of the Dead & Drifters of the Dead.

Hell, HSotD was written and illustrated by two hentai artists...
View Quote
I think discussion of that series, when it first aired, was the first time I came across the term "mammary undulation physics".
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 9:29:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Darkstar117] [#32]
[     ]
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 9:30:54 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote
ha, your right.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 9:35:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 10:29:10 PM EDT
[#35]
View All Quotes

I think discussion of that series, when it first aired, was the first time I came across the term "mammary undulation physics".
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/61270/Boob_Physics-1178250.jpg
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 11:01:07 PM EDT
[#36]
All Angry Whistle Sound Effects in Machikado Mazoku
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 1:16:40 AM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

It's unfortunate one of them died, now the series will never be finished.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 2:25:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By DragoMuseveni:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DragoMuseveni:

It was already unlikely to be finished, anyway.  There had been previous periods of the manga being on hiatus, but the story had gotten to a point where it looked like all the important characters were going to end up at the same location for a big climax, then... nothing ...for years.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 3:18:25 AM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheOTHERmaninblack:
It seems like real world Kirito gets his ass kicked alot.
That's the way I took it. In the later seasons, it's good to remember that he's actually started working at the kendo stuff with his sister and may actually be getting in shape. Still doesn't do superhuman great at the beginning of Alicization.

The only real world fight he gets into that pushes the envelope of marty studome is when he takes on the guy in the suit during the movie.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 3:58:32 AM EDT
[#40]
I just recently learned that Bandai/Big West/Tatsunoko extended Harmony Gold's contract copyright & trademark contract on the Macross IP, which were originally due to expire in 2021 & 22, respectively.  Son of a bitch.

WTF is up with the Japanese IP holders keeping the franchise bottled up in Japan & extending the stranglehold that HG has had on it?
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 10:02:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:
I just recently learned that Bandai/Big West/Tatsunoko extended Harmony Gold's contract copyright & trademark contract on the Macross IP, which were originally due to expire in 2021 & 22, respectively.  Son of a bitch.

WTF is up with the Japanese IP holders keeping the franchise bottled up in Japan & extending the stranglehold that HG has had on it?
View Quote
Because Japan
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 12:21:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By pokey074:
So I finished Goblin Slayer (8/10) and started watching Sword Art Online: Alicization. All I can think is, "Why would you do that again, you fucking idiot???!!!"

Is it worth continuing?
View Quote
I just finished it.  I am one of those weebs that still loves the original SAO seires, i think the GGO arc in season 2 is awesome, and I am not ashamed to say that mother's rosario makes me cry every damn time I watch it

But the franchise has been dropping the ball lately, imo.  The movie based on augmented reality was interesting because that was a thing for a while irl.  But I hated the GGO spinoff (plot was total crap, action was meh, characters stupid af).

And Alicization...  Scattered story, inconsistent characters, inconsistent magic system, totally bland action, the ending was shit and came out of nowhere, and the first episodes of War for Underworld don't make it any better.  They have a recap episode, haven't watched it but that might be worth your time instead.  I will never rewatch alicization, and I might go back and start rewatching season 1 again...

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 4:34:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Downtrodden:
I like sexy anime girls.
I also like guns and fighting and shit.
I like cgi.
I don't like cheap animation,
I am a complete anime newbie.
I have netflix and prime.

Help this husky out, homies... any suggestions?
View Quote
Streaming on Amazon Prime now:

Goku: Midnight Eye
Golgo 13
Robot Carnival
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 5:04:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheOTHERmaninblack] [#44]
Finished Jormungand last night and am not a fan of the ending. The whole final arc, really....

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 5:10:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By il_veltro:

Streaming on Amazon Prime now:

Goku: Midnight Eye
Golgo 13
Robot Carnival
View Quote
Is that the new golgo 13 or the old one.

The newer series I was a big fan of. As Golgo never shows emotion and is like an enigmatic Terminator. Also he does a lot of crazy assassin stuff that has you going wait wut. Like shooting water in just the right angle to hit a guy in the head.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 9:08:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By VendraxTwoHands:

I just finished it.  I am one of those weebs that still loves the original SAO seires, i think the GGO arc in season 2 is awesome, and I am not ashamed to say that mother's rosario makes me cry every damn time I watch it

But the franchise has been dropping the ball lately, imo.  The movie based on augmented reality was interesting because that was a thing for a while irl.  But I hated the GGO spinoff (plot was total crap, action was meh, characters stupid af).

And Alicization...  Scattered story, inconsistent characters, inconsistent magic system, totally bland action, the ending was shit and came out of nowhere, and the first episodes of War for Underworld don't make it any better.  They have a recap episode, haven't watched it but that might be worth your time instead.  I will never rewatch alicization, and I might go back and start rewatching season 1 again...

Hope that helps.
View Quote
I too love the original SAO series. Which is why I dropped Alicization after one episode. Moved on to That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 11:06:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By TheOTHERmaninblack:
Finished Jormungand last night and am not a fan of the ending. The whole final arc, really....

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote
I stopped watching the second season, maybe halfway through, because I saw where it was going.  When the last episode aired, I watched enough of it to confirm that I had been correct, then never cared to finish it or rewatch any of the series.  If they had left it at just the first season, it would have been a good series, but the second season ruined it for me.

There's a point where the viewer says "no, this could never happen", and loses interest.  Science Fiction settings shift that point a bit farther away, due to the possibility of something new being developed.  Fantasy settings shift that point a bit farther, "because magic".  Comedy shows can at least temporarily shift that point, for gag purposes.  That point will also vary somewhat for different people.

In my case, Jormungand was approaching that point, then said 'fuck it' and blew past it at full throttle.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 8:08:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Darkstar117] [#48]
[     ]
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 9:45:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Rifle is Recap Episode.
View Quote
good old fashion clip show.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 12:07:38 AM EDT
[#50]

School Live
View Quote
Haha, well you were right.  The whole zombie thing came out of nowhere.
Page / 754
Who watches Anime? (Page 227 of 754)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top