Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:58:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 6:58:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Ha! That's a good one.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 7:10:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hunter-Killer] [#3]
I randomly came across the South Park anime episode.  It’s still one of my all time favorite SP episodes

The fact that it’s Trey Parker singing the anime-esque “Fighting Love” song makes it even funnier.  I don’t speak Japanese, but apparently he does a good job.

South Park Lets Fighting Love (Fight scene\English Translation)

Also, anime Kenny looks pretty badass.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 7:49:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Hunter-Killer:

That's not fair.  Some of them just want to screw their older cousin.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mort:
Originally Posted By XeroSygnal:
Just started watching The Irregular at Magic High School today and am about 6 episodes in.

Over the weekend, I binge-watched Hensuki.

WTF is with Japan and incest?  Does every girl in Japan want to bang her older brother?
According to the training films... yes every last one of them want to screw their older brothers.

That's not fair.  Some of them just want to screw their older cousin.
Only because their older brother died tragically in the Waifu Wars and they are making due with what they've got.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 7:59:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I randomly came across the South Park anime episode.  It’s still one of my all time favorite SP episodes

The fact that it’s Trey Parker singing the anime-esque “Fighting Love” song makes it even funnier.  I don’t speak Japanese, but apparently he does a good job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsReyMh17YY

Also, anime Kenny looks pretty badass.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/3BCC80C9-7E9D-46B5-9524-5501600B3687_jpe-2298449.JPG
View Quote

I have the DVD of that season, and there is a whole 'behind the scenes' segment on doing that episode.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:17:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I know marrying your cousin in Japan is allowed, but is it still socially frowned upon by most people?
View Quote

The frequency of it occurring seems to have started dropping off in the 1960s.  Seems to have been a mix of education about the increased risk of birth defects in offspring, improvements in travel (rural communities less isolated), people leaving rural areas and moving to cities (increased options for marriage candidates), and a trend toward families becoming smaller (decrease in the number of cousins available).
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:33:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By XeroSygnal:
Just started watching The Irregular at Magic High School today and am about 6 episodes in.

Over the weekend, I binge-watched Hensuki.

WTF is with Japan and incest?  Does every girl in Japan want to bang her older brother?
View Quote

There is actually a discussion or two about this issue buried in the pages of this thread.

I believe due to the more tightly knit nature of the family in Japan as well as the culturally accepted practice of bathing together even in later years (above the age of toddlers).

The opportunity for such feelings to develop is greater than here.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 3:31:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By JPN:

The frequency of it occurring seems to have started dropping off in the 1960s.  Seems to have been a mix of education about the increased risk of birth defects in offspring, improvements in travel (rural communities less isolated), people leaving rural areas and moving to cities (increased options for marriage candidates), and a trend toward families becoming smaller (decrease in the number of cousins available).
View All Quotes
I know marrying your cousin in Japan is allowed, but is it still socially frowned upon by most people?

I guess I’ll take that as a “no” then.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 12:36:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 1:24:09 AM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes

I couldn't find anything giving a definite answer on whether it was still viewed as socially acceptable by the majority of people in Japan.  Best guess I could come up with, from the information I could find, is that it is probably not as easily acceptable as it once was, but hasn't yet reached the "Eww" level.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 3:48:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gunslinger808] [#11]
Attachment Attached File

And on a somewhat unrelated note, I really find myself enjoying Japanese rock.
It seems to hold the energy that western rock has lost, and to be honest some outstanding musicians.

Case in point..

And if you think why would a violin even be considered in a rock band…
?Cover?Yngwie Malmsteen - Far Beyond The Sun (Violin Cover)
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 5:12:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Gunslinger808:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/19372/453E6876-DDC0-4B24-9A16-E5271326D05E_jpe-2299569.JPG

And on a somewhat unrelated note, I really find myself enjoying Japanese rock.
It seems to hold the energy that western rock has lost, and to be honest some outstanding musicians.

Case in point..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7W9DcUKY_U

And if you think why would a violin even be considered in a rock band…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2hZDzJp9Pc
View Quote

I was not familiar with that group before watching those clips - they’re totally infused with high energy.

As for the violin - I like it - yet, even though I can’t quite put my finger on it, something’s definitely missing without a shakuhachi, a koto, and a shamisen…

Link Posted: 3/3/2022 5:26:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gunslinger808] [#13]
Then you’ve been spoiled by Wagakki band and Beni on her Shamisen and tsugaru jamisen style.
Understandable, that band rawks  too.

ETA…
Can’t forget the mad monk Daisuke and his Shakuhachi.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 6:17:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Anyone have any opinions on In the Land of Leadale?

Reading just the first 3 sentences of the premise it reminded me of the SAO AIDS kids “arc.”  However when the AIDS kids died they were wiped from existence (IIRC).  The MC in this one is paralzyed and on life support and when she dies she enters the game (though it might be an Overlord situation where the game world becomes real).
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 7:39:23 AM EDT
[#15]

Reading just the first 3 sentences of the premise it reminded me of the SAO AIDS kids “arc.”  However when the AIDS kids died they were wiped from existence (IIRC).  The MC in this one is paralzyed and on life support and when she dies she enters the game (though it might be an Overlord situation where the game world becomes real).
View Quote

I have been enjoying it.  Definitely more of an Overlord situation.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 8:15:19 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

It’s light and enjoyable fare - I kinda like series where the protagonist has overwhelming powers that nobody expects (especially those wicked villains who get their well-deserved comeuppance at the hands of the protagonist).

There are a lot of series that feature that general approach - among them in the current season I would include:  “She Professed Herself Pupil of the Wise Man” and “The Strongest Sage With the Weakest Crest”.

But you could even include series like “That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime” and “So I’m a Spider, So What?” and many others, although I suppose that a distinction could be made between those that are more explicitly crafted as an isekai vs. the ones that have a stronger link to “player ends up inside the game for real”.

Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Dog and Scissors is ridiculous.

Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:40:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:

View All Quotes

My thoughts:

Dog & Scissors was kind of funny and mildly entertaining.

It's about a high school kid who loves books, is killed, gets reincarnated as a dog, and ends up living with his favorite author (who is a hot tsundere) who he can communicate with telepathically.

Those of you who have fantasies about cute anime girls abusing you should especially like it.  The one of you that also has a sister fetish should REALLY like it.

Brittney "Auditory Butter" Karbowski also voices a character that is very Brittney.

)

Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:47:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:53:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: beitodesstrafe] [#20]

My thoughts:

View All Quotes

My thoughts:

It's about a high school kid who loves books, is killed, gets reincarnated as a dog, and ends up living with his favorite author (who is a hot tsundere) who he can communicate with telepathically.

Those of you who have fantasies about cute anime girls abusing you should especially like it.  The one of you that also has a sister fetish should REALLY like it.

https://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/anime/13/56313.jpg

Brittney "Auditory Butter" Karbowski also voices a character that is very Brittney.

https://cosplayfu-website.s3.amazonaws.com/_Upload/b/Maxi-Cosplay-from-Dog-and-Scissors-3.jpg)

I am thoroughly enjoying it.

Just passed the hot springs ep today during lunch.

I haven't settled on a best girl yet. There are so many good options.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

My thoughts:

https://cosplayfu-website.s3.amazonaws.com/_Upload/b/Maxi-Cosplay-from-Dog-and-Scissors-3.jpg)

I’m kinda surprised I’ve never seen anyone else here even mention it before today.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 3:05:46 PM EDT
[#22]

I'm kinda surprised I've never seen anyone else here even mention it before today.
View All Quotes

My thoughts:

I'm kinda surprised I've never seen anyone else here even mention it before today.
I added it to my list the other day, started watching slime, but this one is next.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 3:10:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Liaztraht:
I added it to my list the other day, started watching slime, but this one is next.
View All Quotes

My thoughts:

I think Slime is a top 5 active anime.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 3:15:04 PM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

My thoughts:

Still mad I slept on it

A bit sad Dog and Scissors was added to Funi like a month before their announcement of moving to CR.

Gonna utilize the shit out of my subscription for the month, now that I have some more time to watch.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 3:18:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Still mad I slept on it
View All Quotes

My thoughts:

Still mad I slept on it

On the plus side you can binge watch 48 episodes and 5 OVAs while most people had to watch one episode a week.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 3:20:44 PM EDT
[#26]

On the plus side you can binge watch 48 episodes and 5 OVAs while most people had to watch one episode a week.
View All Quotes

My thoughts:

Still mad I slept on it

Indeed. Gonna watch episode 42 on my lunch break tonight. Then binge the rest after work
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 3:48:42 PM EDT
[#27]

Indeed. Gonna watch episode 42 on my lunch break tonight. Then binge the rest after work
View All Quotes

My thoughts:

Still mad I slept on it

After you finish episode 48:

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 4:08:04 PM EDT
[#28]

I’m kinda surprised I’ve never seen anyone else here even mention it before today.
View All Quotes

My thoughts:

I had never heard of it except you mentioning it, lol.

So I had it in my mind to watch it at some point and happened to see it recently when I was browsing for something else.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 6:34:18 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

It's in my top 3 for the season, and it's the last show I watch on Wed's so i can be in a good mood.

You could just try watching some things
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 6:52:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By BB868:

It's in my top 3 for the season, and it's the last show I watch on Wed's so i can be in a good mood.

View All Quotes

If I didn't read that the MC is "permanently paralyzed and on constant life support" I wouldn't have bothered checking.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 6:57:38 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

Has anyone else noticed that Arifureta is just Slime without actually being a slime?

Link Posted: 3/3/2022 7:02:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By ConcernedCitizen:

Has anyone else noticed that Arifureta is just Slime without actually being a slime?

View All Quotes

I enjoy both of them, but other than they are both isekai with OP-ish MCs I don't really see the comparison.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#33]

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

I'm pretty sure it's unsatisfying like that because they had to change it from the original light novel/web novel stuff.

I read the web novel and....

Click To View Spoiler

Also I too enjoyed the payback in slime.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 7:33:40 PM EDT
[#34]

I enjoy both of them, but other than they are both isekai with OP-ish MCs I don't really see the comparison.
View All Quotes

Both gain the powers of everything they devour, which is what makes them OP.

Am I the only one that gets frustrated every time I see either one NOT eat something?
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 7:42:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Bacon_Grease:

I'm pretty sure it's unsatisfying like that because they had to change it from the original light novel/web novel stuff.

Click To View Spoiler

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bacon_Grease:

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

I think that was explained (or at least hinted at) in the anime.  Though, the reason for it doesn't make it any less unsatisfying, IMO.

To make it even worse...

Click To View Spoiler

The most unforgivable thing though is the fact that if the king and Malty would not have done what they did then Naofumi could have ended up in Siltvelt where he would have been given a harem of hot kemonomimi girls.  That just by itself is deserving of a gruesome death.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 7:49:52 PM EDT
[#36]

Am I the only one that gets frustrated every time I see either one NOT eat something?
View All Quotes

I can see a comparison for the first few episodes, but once Rimuru leaves the cave and Hajime leaves the labyrinth that stops.  That ability is a big part of who Rimuru is while, IIRC, Hajime exhausted that ability in the labyrinth and can't do it anymore.

Maybe I'm remembering that wrong though.  I really enjoy Arifureta, but its not exactly a cerebral anime.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 8:14:44 PM EDT
[#37]

If I didn't read that the MC is "permanently paralyzed and on constant life support" I wouldn't have bothered checking.
View All Quotes

And

What's that got to do with the price of tea in China ?

Sorry, not sorry that I'm missing your 'issue", it's standard Isekai-Fantasy, but video gamed 'skewed',you either like that stuff (which I do) or you don't. It's got a 4.7 out of 5 on CR and 7.8 out of 10 on Livechart, so people enjoy it.

Per my suggestion, stop nonstop posting here and watch some shit and find out for yourself, that's what I do, it's not hard.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 8:37:13 PM EDT
[#38]

And

Sorry, not sorry that I'm missing your 'issue", it's standard Isekai-Fantasy, but video gamed 'skewed',you either like that stuff (which I do) or you don't. It's got a 4.7 out of 5 on CR and 7.8 out of 10 on Livechart, so people enjoy it.

Per my suggestion, stop nonstop posting here and watch some shit and find out for yourself, that's what I do, it's not hard.
View All Quotes

And

99% of the shows I watch I don't bother asking anyone's opinions on before watching it.  However, while I do usually like isekai, I generally don't enjoy depressing anime and reading that the MC is a girl that is "permanently paralyzed and on constant life support" sounds potentially depressing so I just wanted to see if people here thought it was good before giving it a try. TBH, I don't really get why you're acting as if I was trashing the anime when all I did was ask if anyone had an opinion on it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 9:59:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Ranking of Kings continues to impress.  Highly recommended if you aren't already watching it.  

If you're hesitant because the premise seems dumb and/or the art style looks bad: so was I, but by the end of E1 I was intrigued and by the end of E3 I was hooked.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 2:33:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 6:56:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Finished up slime. Really enjoyed it, and can't wait for more

Starting Dog & Scissors now.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 7:49:46 AM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

Best girl?

My vote:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Sexy-Cosplay-and-Nerd-Girls/142-2359844/?page=7#i96932331

Link Posted: 3/4/2022 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#43]

99% of the shows I watch I don't bother asking anyone's opinions on before watching it.  However, while I do usually like isekai, I generally don't enjoy depressing anime and reading that the MC is a girl that is "permanently paralyzed and on constant life support" sounds potentially depressing so I just wanted to see if people here thought it was good before giving it a try. TBH, I don't really get why you're acting as if I was trashing the anime when all I did was ask if anyone had an opinion on it.
View All Quotes

And

Well you do have a bit of a rep, so......

If you wanted to know/was worried about it being 'depressing', you could/should have asked that, and I would have replied that is all of 30 seconds of the show, and then you instantly forget about that fact going forward, truth be told I totally forgot about that until you brought it up in the question. Click To View Spoiler

I think it fits right in with shows like 'Killing slimes for 300 years' and 'Kuma Bear' in tone, action and comedy. YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 8:46:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BB868] [#44]

View Quote

Did you watch the slime diaries ?

ETA-and all the OVA's ?
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 8:55:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: targetworks] [#45]

Starting Dog & Scissors now.
View Quote

I’m up to episode 3 so far.

While it’s got a totally different vibe and energy level, I can’t help but notice that Dog & Scissors seems to have drawn at least some inspiration from Edward Scissorhands (but not nearly as much from Kill la Kill, other than perhaps some artistic hints and over-the-top personality traits).

I’m mostly enjoying it, but I’m still trying to figure some things out - I’m a bit on the fence at the moment, as her character and her deeply-rooted pathologies are a bit complex - but who doesn’t enjoy a barrage of non-stop physical comedy, abusive relationships, and tiny-titty jokes?

I should probably just turn off the analytical part of my brain and simply watch it for the entertainment value alone.

Link Posted: 3/4/2022 4:41:57 PM EDT
[#46]

If you wanted to know/was worried about it being 'depressing', you could/should have asked that, and I would have replied that is all of 30 seconds of the show, and then you instantly forget about that fact going forward, truth be told I totally forgot about that until you brought it up in the question. Click To View Spoiler

I think it fits right in with shows like 'Killing slimes for 300 years' and 'Kuma Bear' in tone, action and comedy. YMMV.
View All Quotes

And

I wanted to know what people's opinions were on it so I asked "Anyone have any opinions on In the Land of Leadale?"  Treemydawg posted "I have been enjoying it," Targetworks posted "it’s light and enjoyable fare," and so I added it to my watch list.  I get we all have anime we are passionate about, but I'm not sure how that activated your "I must defend my lady's honor" mode.  I wasn't trying to insult it.  Apologies if you took it the wrong way.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 6:30:51 PM EDT
[#47]

I wanted to know what people's opinions were on it so I asked "Anyone have any opinions on In the Land of Leadale?"  Treemydawg posted "I have been enjoying it," Targetworks posted "it’s light and enjoyable fare," and so I added it to my watch list.  I get we all have anime we are passionate about, but I'm not sure how that activated your "I must defend my lady's honor" mode.  I wasn't trying to insult it.  Apologies if you took it the wrong way.
View All Quotes

And

Believe it or not, that had little to nothing to do with it.

Eye-roll/trigger #1 we've already gone over, the whole, just watch it and find out. I've never asked anyone about a TV show/movie or book that I was interested in, if I want to know, I investigate it myself, no one knows what you'll like better then yourself. (I can respect being worried that it was a 'sad' show, and asking about that fact, I'm tired of sad show's)

But the main eye-roll/trigger was how you and a few other "active/frequent" posters (seemingly) never watch new season stuff, it's always the same old shows being brought up, so when you asked the question about this new show, I'm like 'where the fuck have you been for the last 9 weeks ??!?' I know the answer, it's posting memes and arguing over weather a Loli got screwed or not, not watching new content.

Of the 27 show's I'm watching/watched this current season, 13 have never been mentioned, with about another 6 mentioned once or in passing, and I think that's kinda weak for an active 'lets talk about anime' thread. Add to that, that you (and a few others) haven't even fully watched some the the biggest/most popular shows like Aot and RE:Zero, so when I comment about how 'Wow, Aot is great" (in reference to current events), or a semi 'warning' about where RE:Zero goes, you have no reference to know what I'm taking about, but will comment and infer how the show is meh based on 50% of the story--personally I find it odd to invest that much time into it, and not want to see it through, there are about 3 show's I'm watching now that are lower on my list, but I got this far with them, so I want to watch till the end, my 'ocd' would bug the fuck out of me if I just stopped. Anyways.....

'Rant' off, there are 5 show's that air on Fridays I have to get to.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 6:40:42 PM EDT
[#48]

Eye-roll/trigger #1 we've already gone over, the whole, just watch it and find out. I've never asked anyone about a TV show/movie or book that I was interested in, if I want to know, I investigate it myself, no one knows what you'll like better then yourself. (I can respect being worried that it was a 'sad' show, and asking about that fact, I'm tired of sad show's)

But the main eye-roll/trigger was how you and a few other "active/frequent" posters (seemingly) never watch new season stuff, it's always the same old shows being brought up, so when you asked the question about this new show, I'm like 'where the fuck have you been for the last 9 weeks ??!?' I know the answer, it's posting memes and arguing over weather a Loli got screwed or not, not watching new content.

Of the 27 show's I'm watching/watched this current season, 13 have never been mentioned, with about another 6 mentioned once or in passing, and I think that's kinda weak for an active 'lets talk about anime' thread. Add to that, that you (and a few others) haven't even fully watched some the the biggest/most popular shows like Aot and RE:Zero, so when I comment about how 'Wow, Aot is great" (in reference to current events), or a semi 'warning' about where RE:Zero goes, you have no reference to know what I'm taking about, but will comment and infer how the show is meh based on 50% of the story--personally I find it odd to invest that much time into it, and not want to see it through, there are about 3 show's I'm watching now that are lower on my list, but I got this far with them, so I want to watch till the end, my 'ocd' would bug the fuck out of me if I just stopped. Anyways.....

View All Quotes

And

Yeah, I'm not reading all that.  I'll just assume you graciously accepted the apology for you taking it the wrong way and amicably move on.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 9:56:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ConcernedCitizen] [#49]
Of the 27 show's I'm watching/watched this current season, 13 have never been mentioned, with about another 6 mentioned once or in passing...
View Quote

So you're attempting to brag about being some sort of anime hipster?

Weird flex, but okay...

Link Posted: 3/4/2022 10:25:52 PM EDT
[#50]
I just ordered Stand Alone Complex, 2nd Gig.
Page / 761
Who watches Anime? (Page 508 of 761)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top