User Panel

Site Notices
Who watches Anime? (Page 514 of 763)
Page / 763
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 10:02:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By iliketatertots:

I'm watching just wasn't commenting until the after the final 2 episodes air. There are supposed to be 24 and I only see 22 on Crunchyroll.  I'm pretty sure I've made my love of this show clear. If they'd just hurry and print more of the light novels I could start reading them but I'm missing volumes 4 and 7 because I backordered them and they haven't come in yet. I even got the newly released volume 9 in the mail Friday but the others still haven't shipped.
View Quote

23. There is one left coming out this Saturday.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 10:04:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By brasscrossedrifles:
Episode 22 of Eighty-Six dropped today, after months of delays and schedule conflict. With all the extra time, I've been saying A1 better fucking deliver.

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Jesus christ did it deliver.

One of the best anime episodes Ive ever seen.

And I've seen a lot.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 10:20:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 10:21:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Fuck yeah!
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 10:23:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Some of you guys are not even paying attention to Eighty-Six finally finishing Season 1 after all the delays. You are missing out.
View Quote

Just. Watched. Episode. 22.

Yeah, it’s pretty powerful…

Link Posted: 3/13/2022 10:25:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By JVD:

Fuck yeah!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Fuck yeah!

Here is the new trailer with English subs (I can’t attest to the accuracy of the translation though):

Link Posted: 3/13/2022 10:29:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By targetworks:

View Quote

Its been 36 hours and /a/ has yet to go without having a thread up or having a thread not hit bump limit. Might make it a whole week.

I would vote that episode, by itself, AOTY 2022.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 10:30:10 PM EDT
[#8]

23. There is one left coming out this Saturday.
View Quote

Sorry I misunderstood before when I read that there were 3 episodes coming out in March. I assumed they weren't counting the recap as an episode which was actually pretty good for a recap.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 10:38:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Hunter-Killer:

Here is the new trailer with English subs (I can't attest to the accuracy of the translation though):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25hXf4Q47aA
View All Quotes

Fuck yeah!

Here is the new trailer with English subs (I can't attest to the accuracy of the translation though):

They sure like saying Ains a lot.  The pv looks good, except it seems like we will have to put up with Pandoras Actor being melodramatic again.

Pandoras Actor is the most annoying character. The roach king is more tolerable.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 10:58:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: iliketatertots] [#10]

Its been 36 hours and /a/ has yet to go without having a thread up or having a thread not hit bump limit. Might make it a whole week.

View All Quotes

I know it's a popularity contest and all but it actually irks me a bit that 86 lost Crunchyroll anime of the year to Attack on Titan Final Season part 1.  

I have watched every episode of Attack on Titan when it aired (one of the few shows I follow weekly instead of binging at the end of the season) since season 2 and that show hasn't been anything great for a while.  The first half of "The Final Season" was some of the most boring and pointless stuff I've ever watched.  I never quit shows and even I was thinking of dropping it.  They originally announced that the last season was just going to be what ended up being Part 1 of the season and I was really pissed as it unfolded.  I thought it was a going to be a similar situation to how Game of Thrones got completely ruined in the final season.  I mean Game of Thrones was trash for several seasons but obviously the final season was even worse then trash.  In my opinion the first half of AoT final season was almost that bad.

I don't know much about the other nominees except Jujutsu Kaisen.  I'd rate 86 as better than Jujutsu Kaisen personally but I would understand if 86 had lost to it.  Everyone here seem to be raving about Ranking of Kings and it lost to AoT as well.  I don't see how anyone could say the first half of the AoT final season was better than any of these shows.

I also don't understand 86 losing to To Your Eternity in the best drama category.  I watched To Your Eternity and maybe I just didn't get it but I thought it was kind of dull.  It had some good moments for sure but overall it wasn't anything that great.  I thought Eternity was pretty good but I'll never rewatch it.  I'll definitely rewatch 86 many times.  

Edit to add:. The second half of AoT has actually been really good and I've definitely been enjoying it. I don't want to sound like I'm trashing the show. I just thought Part 1 of this season was terrible.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 11:18:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By mort:
They sure like saying Ains a lot.  The pv looks good, except it seems like we will have to put up with Pandoras Actor being melodramatic again.

Pandoras Actor is the most annoying character. The roach king is more tolerable.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mort:

Fuck yeah!

That’s kinda the point.

Link Posted: 3/14/2022 12:41:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Any recommendations for something kinda creepy or a bit dark?  I liked Elfen Lied and Happy Sugar Life, so something along those lines.  I'm thinking maybe Higurashi or Future Diary.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 12:48:49 AM EDT
[#13]

I know it's a popularity contest and all but it actually irks me a bit that 86 lost Crunchyroll anime of the year to Attack on Titan Final Season part 1.  

I have watched every episode of Attack on Titan when it aired (one of the few shows I follow weekly instead of binging at the end of the season) since season 2 and that show hasn't been anything great for a while.  The first half of "The Final Season" was some of the most boring and pointless stuff I've ever watched.  I never quit shows and even I was thinking of dropping it.  They originally announced that the last season was just going to be what ended up being Part 1 of the season and I was really pissed as it unfolded.  I thought it was a going to be a similar situation to how Game of Thrones got completely ruined in the final season.  I mean Game of Thrones was trash for several seasons but obviously the final season was even worse then trash.  In my opinion the first half of AoT final season was almost that bad.

I don't know much about the other nominees except Jujutsu Kaisen.  I'd rate 86 as better than Jujutsu Kaisen personally but I would understand if 86 had lost to it.  Everyone here seem to be raving about Ranking of Kings and it lost to AoT as well.  I don't see how anyone could say the first half of the AoT final season was better than any of these shows.

I also don't understand 86 losing to To Your Eternity in the best drama category.  I watched To Your Eternity and maybe I just didn't get it but I thought it was kind of dull.  It had some good moments for sure but overall it wasn't anything that great.  I thought Eternity was pretty good but I'll never rewatch it.  I'll definitely rewatch 86 many times.  

Edit to add:. The second half of AoT has actually been really good and I've definitely been enjoying it. I don't want to sound like I'm trashing the show. I just thought Part 1 of this season was terrible.
View Quote

If they had been able to deliver yesterday's masterpiece on time they would have gotten it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 12:50:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By aswrg7:
Any recommendations for something kinda creepy or a bit dark?  I liked Elfen Lied and Happy Sugar Life, so something along those lines.  I'm thinking maybe Higurashi or Future Diary.
View Quote

Happy Sugar Life is the most fucked up thing I've ever watched so I got nothing else.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 12:59:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Happy Sugar Life is the most fucked up thing I've ever watched so I got nothing else.
View All Quotes

Never saw happy sugar life but the original Higurashi fits your requirements.  The newer one is good too.

Another one that was dark and creepy but mostly just because it was weird is Angels of Death. It wasn't great or anything but I think it's worth a watch.  And because it seems to make a difference to some here Brittney Karbowski is the voice of one of the characters in the dub.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 1:10:38 AM EDT
[#16]

Never saw happy sugar life but the original Higurashi fits your requirements.  The newer one is good too.

Another one that was dark and creepy but mostly just because it was weird is Angels of Death. It wasn't great or anything but I think it's worth a watch.  And because it seems to make a difference to some here Brittney Karbowski is the voice of one of the characters in the dub.
View Quote

I'll have to go find the original Higurashi. Hulu has Gou, which is apparently only the 3rd season
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 1:11:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By SC4eyes:

I didn't realize it wasn't finished.

I guess I know what I will be watching tonight.
View Quote

Crap!
Somehow I got sidetracked after season one, and didn't start season two.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 1:53:22 AM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

Not overall, but I thought Future Diary had some scenes that were more fucked up than anything in HSL.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 2:48:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ConcernedCitizen] [#19]
View Quote

Have you already seen Re:Zero?

It's not as dark as Elfen Lied in my opinion, but was darker than most other anime I've seen. I'm still a novice though...

As for creepy, I don't know if it counts, but I'm currently watching Blood Blockade Battlefront (another ridiculous title... ), which has lots of cool and creepy monsters in it. It is definitely more of a comedy rather than dark and serious, but the variation of monsters keeps it interesting, for me at least.

I haven’t delved into too many of the really dark anime yet, but will be taking notes for future reference.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 3:50:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Liaztraht] [#20]
View Quote
Here are some of my favorites, off the top of my head. The darkness varies from psychological to gruesome to philosophical. Some aren't too dark, but without the dark edge in places, they would not be as good as they were.

Black Bullet (post-apocalyptic/pandemic)

Ergo Proxy (sci-fi/post-apocalyptic/dystopian future)

Gunslinger Girl (pretty damn dark for what it is/sci-fi)

Goblin Slayer (dark fantasy)

Akame ga Kill (fantasy/action)

Casshern Sins (post-human/sci-fi)

Devilman: Crybaby (title explains itself, but really good)

Hellsing and Hellsing Ultimate (killing nazis and the undead, Ultimate is accurate to the manga)

Samurai Champloo (not too dark, but is a historical take with some hip-hop culture blended in)

Coppelion (Post-apocalyptic)

Mushishi (some dark elements/supernatural/really calm)

Terror in Resonance (terrorism, but makes you sympathize with the terrorists, my current avatar is from it)

Parasyte (some pretty nasty looking parasites in this one, good story, sci-fi/monsters)

Monster (a really good mystery/drama, but not on any major anime services)

Ninja Scroll (the movie is a classic. The series that came later was crap, so avoid at all costs)

Black Lagoon (modern day pirates/smugglers, great action)

Speed Grapher (dark and gritty/sci-fi and involves some unique super powers)

Golden Kamuy (bounces from comedy to the gritty realities of war and ethnic conflict, post Russo-Japanese War, and rather historical)
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 4:21:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ConcernedCitizen] [#21]
Would Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash count as dark?

It definitely had a more somber tone than the standard isekai anime.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 4:27:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By ConcernedCitizen:
Would Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash count as dark?

It definitely had a more somber tone than the standard isekai anime.
View Quote

I think it’s darker than most Isekai, but I wouldn’t consider it dark.

Just my $0.02.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 4:32:25 AM EDT
[#23]
... And because it seems to make a difference to some here Brittney Karbowski is the voice of one of the characters in the dub.
View Quote

On a slight tangent, I've noticed her name mentioned more than a few times, which isn't surprising given that the talent pool for anime voice actors seems to be rather shallow...

I always find it amusing when Barry the Chopper shows up, and any time I hear Beatrice's voice I keep expecting her to finish her sentences with "I suppose".
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 4:41:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: odiedodi] [#24]
View Quote
Future diary's a classic, but it's overrated. I'd recommend watching it but don't go in with expectations too high. The hype definitely ruined my enjoyment somewhat. It's very carnival ride-ish and the plot is all over the place. You just have to take the over the top edgy moments as they are, which is cool.

Chaos;head is in the same vein. It gets shit on as not being as good as the vn, and also because it's not steins;gate, but its a fun watch if you want steins;gate, but not as good.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 5:17:32 AM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

Higurashi > Future Diary but FD is still worth a watch

Serial experiments Lain is something to look into for sure

Madoka Magica is a must see for any anime fan
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 5:20:22 AM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

I thought it was pretty wholesome the way she cared for Shio
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 5:59:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By DprvdDgnrt:

View All Quotes

This thread has really caused me to question the meaning of "wholesome" when it comes to anime...

Link Posted: 3/14/2022 6:19:26 AM EDT
[#28]

This thread has really caused me to question the meaning of "wholesome" when it comes to anime...

View All Quotes

Wholesome is standard wholesome.

“Wholesome” is underage girls getting sexually assaulted, children being tormented until they kill themselves to escape the misery, homeless underage girls being forced into prostitution, etc.

Link Posted: 3/14/2022 7:41:46 AM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

Brynhildr in the Darkness
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 7:51:23 AM EDT
[#30]

Higurashi > Future Diary but FD is still worth a watch

Serial experiments Lain is something to look into for sure

Madoka Magica is a must see for any anime fan
View Quote
That one was weird as fuck and I'm still not sure what it was about. Of course I watched it right after watching FLCL so my brain was kinda jelly at that point.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 8:29:12 AM EDT
[#31]
You're all hitting me with some good-sounding recommendations!

Attachment Attached File

I've seen Bryhyldr in the Darkness (pretty good, but I liked Elfen Lied better).  

Someone in this thread, a while back, described Happy Sugar Life as the most fucked-up version of wholesomeness; this is a pretty fair description.  I'll probably do Serial Experiments Lain, Higurashi, or Golden Kamuy (I didn't have this on my list, but it sounds cool) next.  I've been wanting to check out Valkyria Chronicles at some point too (not sure if it really fits my original request, but it sounds cool anyway).

Does anyone recommend High-Rise Invasion?
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 9:09:49 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

It's not like an anime series per se, because each short episode is self-contained, and what passes for animation is more like having crude stick figures occasionally being repositioned on the screen, but...

Yamishibai: Japanese Ghost Stories (a.k.a. Theater of Darkness) has some good creepy shorts (but also has a lot of lame "bump in the night, what's that peeking out from the shadows" stuff as well).

They have lots of seasons on Crunchyroll - the 'animation' quality, such as it is, improves slightly in the later seasons, but it's still subpar.

Link Posted: 3/14/2022 9:58:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Whippet06:
That one was weird as fuck and I'm still not sure what it was about. Of course I watched it right after watching FLCL so my brain was kinda jelly at that point.
View Quote

Yeah definitely a whole lot going on there, I thought it said a lot about people making social media a huge part of their life/personality before that was really a thing
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:02:12 AM EDT
[#34]

It's not like an anime series per se, because each short episode is self-contained, and what passes for animation is more like having crude stick figures occasionally being repositioned on the screen, but...

Yamishibai: Japanese Ghost Stories (a.k.a. Theater of Darkness) has some good creepy shorts (but also has a lot of lame "bump in the night, what's that peeking out from the shadows" stuff as well).

They have lots of seasons on Crunchyroll - the 'animation' quality, such as it is, improves slightly in the later seasons, but it's still subpar.

View Quote

I think I only watched the first season of that, but I think the animation style was supposed to make it look like a puppet show telling old stories, rather than look like an anime.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:12:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Just caught Made in Abyss on prime and really enjoyed it
I am looking forward to season 2.

Link Posted: 3/14/2022 11:06:05 AM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

@aswrg7

I just finished Mieruko-chan. It definitely does creepy well.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 11:59:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:

@aswrg7

View Quote

How did you watch it?  Funimation?
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 12:18:33 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

@aswrg7

Yep, Funimation.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 1:34:36 PM EDT
[#39]

Yep, Funimation.
View Quote

I guess I need to quit being a cheapskate and re-up my subscription.

ARFCOM costs me money again.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 1:40:15 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

Yep, Funimation.

I wouldn't re-up my funimation account right now.

They are merging with crunchyroll... give it a few weeks (months?) and it should all be over there.

Funimation won't exist in the near future.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 2:22:15 PM EDT
[#41]

@aswrg7

View Quote

I spent a good 4-5 minutes looking for a decent Mieruko-chan gif to put in the shattered-stone-releases-a-centuries-old-fox-demon threads, but I didn’t find anything satisfactory.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 2:30:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By A_Friendly_Manatee:

I spent a good 4-5 minutes looking for a decent Mieruko-chan gif to put in the shattered-stone-releases-a-centuries-old-fox-demon threads, but I didn’t find anything satisfactory.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By A_Friendly_Manatee:

@aswrg7

Definitely a different take from Senko-san.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 4:56:42 PM EDT
[#43]

They are merging with crunchyroll... give it a few weeks (months?) and it should all be over there.

View Quote

I do remember seeing that.  Should I just go ahead and subscribe to Crunchyroll then?
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 5:03:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: targetworks] [#44]

@aswrg7

View All Quotes

@aswrg7

I'm usually OK with 'creepy' - but FWIW I will admit that, while it was somewhat repetitive in places, I found parts of Mieruko-chan to be super-duper, S-class, ultra-crispy, with-extra-cheese-on-top and a side order of spooky, supercalifragilisticexpialidociously creepy.

But YMMV.

Link Posted: 3/14/2022 5:06:05 PM EDT
[#45]

I do remember seeing that.  Should I just go ahead and subscribe to Crunchyroll then?
View All Quotes

That's what I did. Things are slow to transfer though.

Years of Funimation gone
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 5:14:07 PM EDT
[#46]

Here is the new trailer with English subs (I can’t attest to the accuracy of the translation though):

View Quote

I just hope they do more with Albedo in it, she was way underrepresented in the others, she had like three scenes that didn’t just involve her swooning over Ainz.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 5:27:06 PM EDT
[#47]

I'm usually OK with 'creepy' - but FWIW I will admit that, while it was somewhat repetitive in places, I found parts of Mieruko-chan to be super-duper, S-class, ultra-crispy, with-extra-cheese-on-top and a side order of spooky, supercalifragilisticexpialidociously creepy.

But YMMV.

View All Quotes

@aswrg7

But YMMV.

The payoff was definitely worth it.

But yeah, some episodes I felt legitimately uneasy.

Good show.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 5:28:32 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

It may be a few months for a complete switch over.

But yeah, eventually Crunchyroll will be about the only real option.

For better or worse.

Lol.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 5:56:15 PM EDT
[#49]

It may be a few months for a complete switch over.

But yeah, eventually Crunchyroll will be about the only real option.

For better or worse.

Lol.
View Quote

HiDive has some good anime but nowhere near as much as Crunchyroll will have so it's not a true alternative.  However if they run the $40/year sale again it would be worth subscribing to HiDive to get the Sentai shows that aren't available anywhere else.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#50]

HiDive has some good anime but nowhere near as much as Crunchyroll will have so it's not a true alternative.  However if they run the $40/year sale again it would be worth subscribing to HiDive to get the Sentai shows that aren't available anywhere else.
View Quote

Hmmm, HiDive is only $48/year now.  Does anyone have a promo code for it?
Page / 763
Who watches Anime? (Page 514 of 763)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top