BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 8:42:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Did you do Iraq?

Most of the guys who went (in all branches) never saw anything more dangerous than the Puerto Rican E-4 chicks on MWR Salsa Night (regardless of their war stories) so it don't translate to hats.
View Quote
You just described most Viet Nam vets.

The US military has a loooong logistical tail, and most VN vets never left Da Nang or Tan Son Nhut AB during their tours.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 8:44:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Wait until we're are old timers and I'm sure you'll start seeing them
View Quote

Yeah, I think it tends to be an old timer thing.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 8:45:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Like there is “Veteran of the Vietnam War” hats.

Up here there is a lot of them. The Vietnam Nam ones.

I have not seen one Iraq war veteran hat.

Is that because only Marines would be able to wear them?

View Quote

If I had to guess, plus size LARP'ers and LEO's waddling around in BRCC, Gunt Stile and dirty dustuff clothing wore out the novelty for everyone except die hard kool-aid drinkers and "Nam" vets.

Link Posted: 6/18/2023 8:46:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I feel like I need to be at least 40 before I wear one of those hats
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 8:48:42 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

Didn't know that existed. Ordered one for my dad.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 8:48:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I saw a guy in court Friday with a “operation Iraqi freedom veteran” hat on. It had the ribbons embroidered and everything.  He had added a sapper tab, ranger tab, a 29th ID pin, and some other flair that I didn’t get close enough to him to read.

It looked pretty retarded so I didn’t engage in conversation with him to see just how much of a hero he was.  

View Quote

I’m waiting 5 years until I hit 60+ and going full retard.

(Well, not FULL full retard- those are the guys that enlisted in 76, never finished basic and ait but have the Vietnam Veteran hat, the 350 pounder on a scooter with a bunch of DAV shit on missing a leg- from diabetes, the 70 year old with the double star CIB hat, etc.)

But I mean old school full retard.
Sansabelt pants, maybe even a jumpsuit for puttering around days, Velcro sneakers, EVERYTHING on the hat guy.  I mean down to the correct number of campaign stars on each ribbon and every badge and every set of wings, etc.
It will be an absolutely glorious hat.

And I will go spend all day at the military or VA hospital and waste all kinds of gas and time to get 20 bucks of over the counter meds for free and not pay 19 bucks to have 90 days of my medicine mailed to me. While bitching about the hour and a half I waited for something that would have been a five minute wait if I checked in with a call, phone, computer, etc. before heading to the PX and getting pissed off the don’t carry land line phones or VCRs any more.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 8:55:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I see "Desert Storm/Shield" etc. on occasion.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 9:09:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Pro tip….if a federal judge is wearing his Purple Heart label pin on entering his chambers on sentencing hearing day for a stolen valor case…….your client is fucked!
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 9:13:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What pogue bases had MWR? LSA Anaconda and Baghdad Airport? I was mostly at Falcon and Blue Diamond. No MWR. We got shelled all the dam time. In fact the ASP at Falcon got blown up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you do Iraq?

Most of the guys who went (in all branches) never saw anything more dangerous than the Puerto Rican E-4 chicks on MWR Salsa Night (regardless of their war stories) so it don't translate to hats.

What pogue bases had MWR? LSA Anaconda and Baghdad Airport? I was mostly at Falcon and Blue Diamond. No MWR. We got shelled all the dam time. In fact the ASP at Falcon got blown up.

Jesus….don’t ask what camp it was, but it was in the Camp Victory complex, and we had pulled in just in time, thinking we’d be able to hit a real chow hall. We did, and from little we saw, it was like everything we had been told…a buffet, sandwich bar, grill, salad bar, about 5 different ice cream flavors. There was about 12 of us scoping out where we could all sit together when an e7 asked us to leave. He advised us that much like a dress code, we were too dirty and sweaty to be in the dfac, making people uncomfortable. We sat in the parking lot, looking to see what mre’s we had left that weren’t all rat fucked, and not sure who it was, but someone brought us out to-go plates of burgers and fries.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 9:17:12 AM EDT
[#10]
You have to be an old man to wear those kind of hats.  I look forward to the day i can wear a AFG vet hat.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 9:18:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
IDK but I did love those bitchin dragon jackets made out of satin that guys in the neighborhood came home with from Vietnam in the 1960's.
View Quote

Saw a tan bomber jacket, thought was odd, until I saw the back embroidered  “I know I’ll go to heaven, because I spent my time in hell-Kuwait “
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 9:19:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This.  I see Desert Storm/OIF hats from time to time.

And I fixt your last statement.
View Quote

I saw a guy wearing a Dessert Storm Veteran hat last week.  I'm both a Dessert Storm and Iraq veteran and would never consider wearing one of those hats.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 9:22:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 18B30:
Pro tip….if a federal judge is wearing his Purple Heart label pin on entering his chambers on sentencing hearing day for a stolen valor case…….your client is fucked!
View Quote

That’s gonna hurt
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 9:23:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I saw a guy wearing a Dessert Storm Veteran hat last week.  I'm both a Dessert Storm and Iraq veteran and would never consider wearing one of those hats.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Suddenly those 5 different ice cream flavors make sense.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 9:23:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I saw a guy wearing one yesterday.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 9:29:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

(Well, not FULL full retard- those are the guys that enlisted in 76, never finished basic and ait but have the Vietnam Veteran hat, the 350 pounder on a scooter with a bunch of DAV shit on missing a leg- from diabetes, the 70 year old with the double star CIB hat, etc.)

Sansabelt pants, maybe even a jumpsuit for puttering around days, Velcro sneakers, EVERYTHING on the hat guy.  I mean down to the correct number of campaign stars on each ribbon and every badge and every set of wings, etc.

And I will go spend all day at the military or VA hospital and waste all kinds of gas and time to get 20 bucks of over the counter meds for free and not pay 19 bucks to have 90 days of my medicine mailed to me. While bitching about the hour and a half I waited for something that would have been a five minute wait if I checked in with a call, phone, computer, etc. before heading to the PX and getting pissed off the don’t carry land line phones or VCRs any more.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw a guy in court Friday with a “operation Iraqi freedom veteran” hat on. It had the ribbons embroidered and everything.  He had added a sapper tab, ranger tab, a 29th ID pin, and some other flair that I didn’t get close enough to him to read.

It looked pretty retarded so I didn’t engage in conversation with him to see just how much of a hero he was.  

It will be glorious!

Link Posted: 6/18/2023 9:30:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dessert storm is like pie in the sky.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 9:34:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There are such hats. . .

But the Vietnam Vet hats are more prevalent because the U.S. has grossly mistreated their VN vets I suppose.
View Quote

1.5 million americans served in Vietnam over 15 years. At least half of them are already dead, some of natural causes. 2.5 million people identified as Vietnam vets in the 2010 census, I believe. A lot of those people are probably the same people who burned their draft cards and protested the war.

So, there's that. Stolen valor is a thing, you know.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 9:35:00 AM EDT
[#19]
I havent seen any grenada veteran hats
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 9:40:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That’s gonna hurt
View Quote

Look everyone, I found a GWOT-era veteran!
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 9:45:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wear a combat patch 25% of the week, the only military attire I care to wear past that are team t-shirts in the gym.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 9:46:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s gonna hurt

Link Posted: 6/18/2023 9:48:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/18/2023 10:27:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'm waiting 5 years until I hit 60+ and going full retard.

And I will go spend all day at the military or VA hospital and waste all kinds of gas and time to get 20 bucks of over the counter meds for free and not pay 19 bucks to have 90 days of my medicine mailed to me. While bitching about the hour and a half I waited for something that would have been a five minute wait if I checked in with a call, phone, computer, etc. before heading to the PX and getting pissed off the don't carry land line phones or VCRs any more.  
View Quote
I love you man.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 10:38:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 11:06:47 AM EDT
[#26]
My retired Army buddy wears an OIF hat.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 11:16:55 AM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

Florida has these license plates now:

This plate is available for former military service members who served during the Cold War from May 9, 1945, to Oct. 2, 1990. It is required to show proof of active membership or former duty during the time of the Cold War before purchasing this license plate.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 11:20:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Man, "Army of Occupation" could read a few different ways.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 11:21:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Jesus….don’t ask what camp it was, but it was in the Camp Victory complex, and we had pulled in just in time, thinking we’d be able to hit a real chow hall. We did, and from little we saw, it was like everything we had been told…a buffet, sandwich bar, grill, salad bar, about 5 different ice cream flavors. There was about 12 of us scoping out where we could all sit together when an e7 asked us to leave. He advised us that much like a dress code, we were too dirty and sweaty to be in the dfac, making people uncomfortable. We sat in the parking lot, looking to see what mre’s we had left that weren’t all rat fucked, and not sure who it was, but someone brought us out to-go plates of burgers and fries.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you do Iraq?

Your job is to feed us. Here we are Pogue Mess Sergeant. They tried this shit on us we we rolled into the chow hall from patrol, dirty and late (right before closing) and brought our 3x .50 receivers inside the chow hall with us so we could all eat together as there was no time to eat in shifts. We said we weren’t leaving and just ignored them and kept eating. Nothing happened. We were having a war and then garrison broke out.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 11:28:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Man, "Army of Occupation" could read a few different ways.
View Quote

I had to immediately go and look it up the first time I saw it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 11:30:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Was that in 2006 or 2007? I was pretty close by that night.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 11:31:42 AM EDT
[#32]
I just wanna know where the build back better hats are.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 11:32:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Jesus .don't ask what camp it was, but it was in the Camp Victory complex, and we had pulled in just in time, thinking we'd be able to hit a real chow hall. We did, and from little we saw, it was like everything we had been told a buffet, sandwich bar, grill, salad bar, about 5 different ice cream flavors. There was about 12 of us scoping out where we could all sit together when an e7 asked us to leave. He advised us that much like a dress code, we were too dirty and sweaty to be in the dfac, making people uncomfortable. We sat in the parking lot, looking to see what mre's we had left that weren't all rat fucked, and not sure who it was, but someone brought us out to-go plates of burgers and fries.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Like there is "Veteran of the Vietnam War" hats.

Did you do Iraq?

Jesus .don't ask what camp it was, but it was in the Camp Victory complex, and we had pulled in just in time, thinking we'd be able to hit a real chow hall. We did, and from little we saw, it was like everything we had been told a buffet, sandwich bar, grill, salad bar, about 5 different ice cream flavors. There was about 12 of us scoping out where we could all sit together when an e7 asked us to leave. He advised us that much like a dress code, we were too dirty and sweaty to be in the dfac, making people uncomfortable. We sat in the parking lot, looking to see what mre's we had left that weren't all rat fucked, and not sure who it was, but someone brought us out to-go plates of burgers and fries.
Taji had a big MWR area too. I got a challenge coin from a O6 for the BX/PX that went up for my work on it as a contractor lolol.

I also got run out of a mess hall once for wearing a desert camo goretex as a contractor by the enlisted dude manning the door. It wasn't zipped up. Absolutely no ranks/tags anything on it. It was actually a gift from a USAF CE buddy several years back. He told me I was out of uniform and to take it off or wear it fully zipped up the whole time i'm in the DFAC. I'm like i'm a contractor I don't' have a uniform. He said it didn't matter, zip it up or fuck off out of his mess hall.

For awhile they wouldn't even let you in the DFAC without body armor too. We all wound up making what we called "dinner jackets" with some leftover IBA vests we had with no plates in them because it was easier to put on and off then the good shit we had with plates and all the other pouches, etc on them.

Link Posted: 6/18/2023 11:36:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Like there is "Veteran of the Vietnam War" hats.

Did you do Iraq?

I did the underground power distribution design for Falcon. My boss was killed leaving Falcon in '04. The only trip I wasn't driving him in over a year. We split up earlier in the day at Victory because, ironically, I had to take a land cruiser back to Taji for another contractor company as a favor because they said it was too dangerous to drive. A week later 3 of my co-workers with another company got kidnapped in Baghdad and decapitated with the videos being posted online. That shit fucked me up for awhile.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 11:38:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

And I will go spend all day at the military or VA hospital and waste all kinds of gas and time to get 20 bucks of over the counter meds for free and not pay 19 bucks to have 90 days of my medicine mailed to me. While bitching about the hour and a half I waited for something that would have been a five minute wait if I checked in with a call, phone, computer, etc. before heading to the PX and getting pissed off the don't carry land line phones or VCRs any more.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw a guy in court Friday with a "operation Iraqi freedom veteran" hat on. It had the ribbons embroidered and everything.  He had added a sapper tab, ranger tab, a 29th ID pin, and some other flair that I didn't get close enough to him to read.

It looked pretty retarded so I didn't engage in conversation with him to see just how much of a hero he was.  

Link Posted: 6/18/2023 11:45:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was late '06.

Link Posted: 6/18/2023 11:48:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Most of the time that I see one it tends to be worn by walking billboards of their service. Hat, tee shirt, 201 file in stickers on their car window.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 11:53:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had a very similar experience but in Kuwait on the way out in ‘05. And it was a Marine Gunny that wouldn’t let us in the DFAC because our DCU’s were stained after a year spent in Iraq.

There was also many butter bars wearing Stetsons and spurs for some reason who were offended by seeing the CIBs they didn’t have.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 11:56:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Yeah there are, we have a few guys at work that do and one that's no longer with us that did .  

I grew up on bases and still live next to a military base.  It's sobering.  When I was a kid the old men wore WWII and Korea hats, now they wear Vietnam hats, I'm seeing Desert Storm hats every now and then; guys are wearing Iraq/Afghanistan caps at a much younger age.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 11:58:45 AM EDT
[#40]
I see shirts fairly often. Maybe the hats are a generational or age thing? Maybe in another 20-30 years they'll be common.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 11:59:17 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm a Vietnam vet and wear my hat quite a bit. Main reason is to piss off some of the people that called us baby killers and every other kind of BS you can imagine. I wasn't infantry I was  ordnance so there is a difference in how I served as opposed to some others but we all did what we were told and did it where we were told to do it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 12:05:14 PM EDT
[#42]
How about a 'Cold War' Vetran Hat
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 12:09:29 PM EDT
[#43]
We still haven't got Veterans of Panama and you want Veterans of Iraq war? You nuts
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 12:11:46 PM EDT
[#44]
I see veteran of OIF hats all the time.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 12:16:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

@Miles_Urbanus
Fellow Blue Diamonder here. 2005 - Security Co. QRF "Ronin."

Link Posted: 6/18/2023 12:22:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I could really go for a camel burger.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 12:25:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Desert Shield Vet hat, with hashmarks, rockers, and a bunch of these:

Link Posted: 6/18/2023 12:37:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I wear a combat patch 25% of the week, the only military attire I care to wear past that are team t-shirts in the gym.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still wear school or unit t shirts but that's about it.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Your job is to feed us. Here we are Pogue Mess Sergeant. They tried this shit on us we we rolled into the chow hall from patrol, dirty and late (right before closing) and brought our 3x .50 receivers inside the chow hall with us so we could all eat together as there was no time to eat in shifts. We said we weren’t leaving and just ignored them and kept eating. Nothing happened. We were having a war and then garrison broke out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you do Iraq?

They pulled that bullshit at COB Speicher when I was there. Turned my guys away because they were dirty from working on helicopters. ??
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 1:01:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

They pulled that bullshit at COB Speicher when I was there. Turned my guys away because they were dirty from working on helicopters. ??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you do Iraq?

The Army has no more entrenched and more worthless a pogue class than senior food service NCOs.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top