Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 1:01:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Spend a couple December weeks in Fairbanks Alaska, cold testing for GM.

Screw that...
View Quote
Chevy Task Force '57 - 1957

Link Posted: 3/10/2022 1:06:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Get to it.

Link Posted: 3/10/2022 1:07:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Too cold and too many weird GD'ers there.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#4]
It's cold enough in Colorado (and they still mine gold here).
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 1:11:58 PM EDT
[#5]

IF he can get a water license.  His big expensive dredges are still sitting and collecting rust.  Saw that he pulled the big tug out of the water to sell but the buyers financing fell through.  Based on the shows, more people go broke than make decent money.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 1:12:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
a) its cold
b) I watched the shows and apparently you have to do nothing but get into arguments and have a life full of day time soap opera drama

..nope.
View Quote

Depends on the location and crew.  Not too bad here.  Temps are mild and our crews are squared away.  At least on our project, it is NOTHING like you see on TV.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 1:17:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Nope
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 1:18:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A gold vein in west GA runs through my place, I've been meaning to buy a pan to play in the creek with. Maybe a metal detector later if I find any flakes.
View Quote

seems like i heard the majority of gold deposits in ga are unmined. i assume the issue is exactly how you would mine the gold for a profit. this is assuming you didnt run into environmental issues. i once did a google search about folks mining/panning for gold and from what i remember, those that do so in ga do it as a hobby and find tiny amounts in the creeks and streams in some places.

i used to go trout fishing in n. ga with my father. he took me to some of the mines in dahlonega. you could pay some money, grab a bucket of dirt and pan it for gold. might find a tiny bit.

assuming you are serious about gold mining, look into greenland. bring LOTS of cash...
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 1:22:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yeah we have a nice Cat.  Couple bucket loaders, a few muckers, several slushers, many jacklegs, 200 class excavator, 450 class excavator...list goes on.  If one of you have tools and some serious heavy equipment mechanic experience I can get you up here in a flash.  Had to fire our once upon a time best mechanic just a couple weeks ago.  Got hooked on some nasty shit that turned him catatonic.  Flights, lodging, meals included.
View Quote

@muddawggin

Need a journeyman fitter/welder?

Not much for turning wrenches but if the pay is right I’ll do/learn whatever.

I can run a skidsteer and lull damn good. Wasted effort putting me in an excavator though.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Parker had mined a claim owned by a gentleman named Ken, and he pulled a lot of gold out of that claim.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 1:34:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I wish I could help you out there, but we have mostly welders/fabricators in the shop.  We are hurting for a skilled lead mechanic, and maybe a couple more miners that can run a jackleg.  Logging took a major dump here the second the election was stolen, and we took in a lot of people from the timber industry.  We filled up our project very fast, but it's hard to come across people with real experience in this industry.  

As I said earlier, any experienced heavy/mining equipment mechanics reading this looking for an adventure, shoot me a PM.  You won't get rich working with us, but it's a dang good living.  Pretty much all expenses paid while you are here, flights included.  We'll ship your tools up here and make the arrangements to bring you up.  All the fishing and hunting a guy could want!  Typically a 3 week on 2 off schedule.

ETA @FritzTKatt
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 1:36:47 PM EDT
[#12]
People still watch fake "reality" shows like Gold Rush?  Lol
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 1:42:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A gold vein in west GA runs through my place, I've been meaning to buy a pan to play in the creek with. Maybe a metal detector later if I find any flakes.
View Quote

@TinSpinner any more info you can share about this? I'm in West Cobb and had my kid  panning for "treasure" at the Cartersville museum, but that's the extend of my understanding of these matters.

Besides mostly, the good stuff that's easy to get has already been found, and it's a lot of work/money to get the rest
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 2:17:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

seems like i heard the majority of gold deposits in ga are unmined. i assume the issue is exactly how you would mine the gold for a profit. this is assuming you didnt run into environmental issues. i once did a google search about folks mining/panning for gold and from what i remember, those that do so in ga do it as a hobby and find tiny amounts in the creeks and streams in some places.

i used to go trout fishing in n. ga with my father. he took me to some of the mines in dahlonega. you could pay some money, grab a bucket of dirt and pan it for gold. might find a tiny bit.

assuming you are serious about gold mining, look into greenland. bring LOTS of cash...
View Quote

I've been to Crisson's near Dahlonega, one of the buy a bucket places. I found quite a few flakes in not very much time. A lady found a nugget about the size of a booger and they wouldn't let her keep it, something in the fine print about what you find that no one ever reads was pointed out to her, she was very disappointed.

Quoted:

@TinSpinner any more info you can share about this? I'm in West Cobb and had my kid  panning for "treasure" at the Cartersville museum, but that's the extend of my understanding of these matters.

Besides mostly, the good stuff that's easy to get has already been found, and it's a lot of work/money to get the rest
View Quote

Estimates are that only about 20% of the gold in my area was mined before most of the miners went to north GA then west to CA. There is a museum in Villa Rica at what used to be the Stockmar mine, it is now called Pine Mountain Gold Museum or something like that. It would be a fun trip for kids, might even learn a little about the history.  The main vein in GA runs from east Alabama just south of I-20 going NE up through GA to around Clayton or thereabouts, part of it it takes in NW Cobb county but I don't know of any mines that were in that area. You can see it on this map:

Link Posted: 3/10/2022 2:23:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll bet the real money to be made is in supplying aspiring gold miners with all their equipment, machinery, and other supplies..   Same logic applies to knife making...with the exception of a few makers, most of the money to be made is in supplying aspiring knife makers and hobby knife makers.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 2:31:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I watched a video the other day and it looks like it takes a few hours just to get a little dust if you are panning.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 2:32:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'll bet the real money to be made is in supplying aspiring gold miners with all their equipment, machinery, and other supplies..   Same logic applies to knife making...with the exception of a few makers, most of the money to be made is in supplying aspiring knife makers and hobby knife makers.
View Quote

Our recurring monthly expenses are crazy.  If the word "mining" is attached to anything, prices triple.  There are a ton of consumables that constantly need to be replaced, not to mention broken equipment.  I won't go into our overhead specifics, but it would buy several very nice mansions in HI annually.  I can't imagine what a big mine spends in a month.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 2:38:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

The way to get rich in a gold rush isn't to find the gold.
You get rich selling the shovels.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 2:40:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm  not?
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 2:41:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yeah we have a nice Cat.  Couple bucket loaders, a few muckers, several slushers, many jacklegs, 200 class excavator, 450 class excavator...list goes on.  If one of you have tools and some serious heavy equipment mechanic experience I can get you up here in a flash.  Had to fire our once upon a time best mechanic just a couple weeks ago.  Got hooked on some nasty shit that turned him catatonic.  Flights, lodging, meals included.
View Quote

Now that's where it's at!

We're working on reopening two mines down here. One conventional shaft mine, one rubber-tire mine with a 10'x10' decline. The mill was just purchased, there's about $300k of ore already stockpiled, and we're shooting for concentrate by summer.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 2:54:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Now that's where it's at!

https://i.imgur.com/1lFAGiR.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/UHsvECG.jpeg

We're working on reopening two mines down here. One conventional shaft mine, one rubber-tire mine with a 10'x10' decline. The mill was just purchased, there's about $300k of ore already stockpiled, and we're shooting for concentrate by summer.
View Quote

Well, it's all the way up at the portal at the moment!  ETA...read that as you asking where the CAT was at.

I wish you guys luck!  It took us two years to get into profit after reopening an old mine here from the 30's.  Those guys back then were animals!  There was absolutely nothing here.  Just a goat trail that led to a caved in portal.  After about 18 months, the miners finally broke through to the old workings.  That was quite interesting to go in there and see things that had not seen daylight for 80 years!  We are on our 4th portal right now, tying them all together.  Best estimate is we have 20+ years left of rock.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 3:24:11 PM EDT
[#22]
The divorce would cost too much
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 3:57:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I wonder how much the government takes in taxes. The gold shows never talk about that, Uncle Sam always demands his cut.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 4:01:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Empty your inbox
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been looking for a nice glory hole...

Empty your inbox

That’s the whole point.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 4:02:14 PM EDT
[#25]
I did some gold panning in Ketchikan.
It wasnt too hard, snagged a few flakes...was going to make a season out of it, but then was notified my cruise ship was leaving in 30 mins!

Seriously though, Id love to try it out for real !
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 4:44:29 PM EDT
[#26]
If it was easy everyone would do it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 5:57:32 PM EDT
[#27]
EDIT:  Dummy post
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 5:59:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have had several K5's.  Love those rigs.  Always dumped the 1/2 ton gear and put in a 14 bolt with a D60.  Six the weak auto trans and replace with the 465 and 205 t case.  I would love to have another one!
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 7:00:52 PM EDT
[#29]

Somehow I responded to the wrong thread!  
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 3:55:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Well, it's all the way up at the portal at the moment!  ETA...read that as you asking where the CAT was at.

I wish you guys luck!  It took us two years to get into profit after reopening an old mine here from the 30's.  Those guys back then were animals!  There was absolutely nothing here.  Just a goat trail that led to a caved in portal.  After about 18 months, the miners finally broke through to the old workings.  That was quite interesting to go in there and see things that had not seen daylight for 80 years!  We are on our 4th portal right now, tying them all together.  Best estimate is we have 20+ years left of rock.
View Quote

Excellent! Our secondary escapeway is from the 1890s, the decline is about ten years old. We might have five years of mine life without spiraling down further, but that remains to be seen.

Are you running all rail down the hole? We have a metric shitload of 36" gauge equipment but the only rail mine is 24"
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 3:57:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Just like California all the good shit has been picked over the last couple hundred years.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

They don't mine then .

Summers are mild
View Quote
FBX has to fucking suck. My wife used to live up there after high school she said she barely tapped the parking spot stopper with her front bumper in winter and her bumper shattered.
She called me up in tears. I was trying so hard not to laugh.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 5:17:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Where did you mine?  Looking to get back in?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jackleg savage checking in.

Where did you mine?  Looking to get back in?

Pogo up there.   Stillwater, Ted Snyder, Getchel , Turquoise Ridge, etc.  

On the injured list from ground fall .  And then a bad hernia operation .

You have a sand plant or fill method for slusher stope ?

I really used to like my own jackleg heading .
 See a boss once a day maybe.  And hurry them away cause I've got shit to do.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 5:55:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Cold is like time, it's relative to the observer.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 6:00:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Spend a couple December weeks in Fairbanks Alaska, cold testing for GM.

Screw that...
View Quote

Yep, hate winter and cold and frozen precipitation
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 3:38:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Been there, done that. Was there in 98 and 99.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 4:17:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Edited for bad info!
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 5:15:31 AM EDT
[#38]
I met a guy a few years ago that had .5-ounce gold nugget necklace. He found on a fishing trip in Alaska, he also said he found 2 smaller ones on a deferent trip. Apparently that shit is just laying around everywhere.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 9:58:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I met a guy a few years ago that had .5-ounce gold nugget necklace. He found on a fishing trip in Alaska, he also said he found 2 smaller ones on a deferent trip. Apparently that shit is just laying around everywhere.
View Quote

You can pan for gold anywhere your walking up there. We did near an old gold dredge and found gold. One of the old timers up there said theres gold in the damn parking lot dirt.

Saw plenty of people loading buckets of gravel and sand to take home in a van. Buckets all the way to the back of the front seats. Sluice it at home and use the gravel on the driveway.

I dont remember whats legal. We just wondered around the state. Some places had gold right there and others didnt.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 10:14:26 AM EDT
[#40]
All you need is a pan. If you could find one ounce a week your earning $2000. .....just one ounce.

ETA; You can also do the same in Dahlonega, Georgia
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 10:19:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It's cold enough in Colorado (and they still mine gold here).
View Quote
shit.

it was -10 yesterday afternoon in fairplay and the wind was howling.

best job i ever had.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 10:20:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Saginaw Michigan - Lefty Frizzell (with lyrics)
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 10:24:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Every claimable land spot in the US has been claimed.  There are no more open claims, haven’t been for decades.
View Quote

What in the holy hell are you talking about? I strongly encourage you to do more research before popping off about things you don't yet understand.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 10:33:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

We'll need more jackleg hands down here soon enough. We lost two guys out of a crew of about eight to truck and ATV wrecks in the last year, and I'm hoping to have a crew back underground by May.

Also, keep an eye on SMD, GMS, and AMT - the Summit is waking up and I'm hopeful this outfit will be less retarded than the last bunch. At least they've got the sense to contract it rather than spend a million bucks on clapped-out POS jumbos and end up back on jacklegs because the other shit won't stay running...
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 10:40:29 AM EDT
[#45]
I read once that the industry wide COST of mining an ounce of Gold is just about the same as the SPOT PRICE of Gold at any given moment in time.  

Not a whole lot of actual profit to be made in Gold mining unless you are doing so on a massive industrial scale. Even then, there is much more profit potential in mining Copper (cost to mine per ton -v- price per ton at market).

but everybody who mines for Gold thinks they’re smarter than the other guys

Link Posted: 3/12/2022 10:43:28 AM EDT
[#46]
In '86 I was building a new factory. The plumbing contractor had lost his shirt in AK because he was ONE day late on some cutoff time for shipping equipment overland or something along those lines. He was HOOKED on mining.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 11:22:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I read once that the industry wide COST of mining an ounce of Gold is just about the same as the SPOT PRICE of Gold at any given moment in time.  

Not a whole lot of actual profit to be made in Gold mining unless you are doing so on a massive industrial scale. Even then, there is much more profit potential in mining Copper (cost to mine per ton -v- price per ton at market).

View Quote

AISC is generally closer to half of spot. Copper is far harder to mine profitably on a smaller scale because copper porphyries are not known for high head grades, to put it mildly. The mill feed is a step above road gravel.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 11:37:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

The precise answer is, "It depends."

How much overburden above the ore?  (waste rock to get stripped off in a surface operation)
What grade?
How much? (enough to support the development of a commercial operation?)
Metallurgy (how hard is it to extract the good stuff)
etc.

Walking around picking off placer nuggets with a metal detector is a whole different thing.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 11:58:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

We'll need more jackleg hands down here soon enough. We lost two guys out of a crew of about eight to truck and ATV wrecks in the last year, and I'm hoping to have a crew back underground by May.

Also, keep an eye on SMD, GMS, and AMT - the Summit is waking up and I'm hopeful this outfit will be less retarded than the last bunch. At least they've got the sense to contract it rather than spend a million bucks on clapped-out POS jumbos and end up back on jacklegs because the other shit won't stay running...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you only development jumbo drifts ?

Or do you have wide enough veins for Jumbo ?  Good if so.  Otherwise jackleg for minimum dilution.

I miss it. The race to the face. Day goes by fast on contract getting a cycle and all else you can get done.  
      Your not peewee by chance.  

Link Posted: 3/12/2022 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#50]
A few years ago, I talked with some miners, near an area close t where we live.  That year, they spent over $700,000 on fuel, equipment and other expenses.  They cleared just over $100,000 for the season.  There was five of them working the claim.  They claimed that it was more a 'labor of love' then making lots of money.
Mining is not for the faint of heart!!!!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top