Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:19:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Because I refuse to pay a $5 fee per transaction to give the city my money for garbage and sewer every month.  They get their money more quickly online but want to charge the customer for it.  Nope!
View Quote

This.  I choose electronic unless a fee is involved.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:19:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I pay bills with checks because I'm not paying a processing fee
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:20:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Some basics about money people need to understand. Debt based money. And that every credit card transaction contributes to the concept and we in America are addicted to it. Every dollars spent on a credit card is money created by banks out of thin air.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:20:20 AM EDT
[#4]
My neighbor uses cash only, and will go through the great length and time consuming practice of paying with exact change.  74 year old man counting pennies at the register.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:20:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Well there are a few reasons that I do but I only find myself writing maybe a total of six checks a year.

First, I have a life insurance policy and they always send me a bill with a return envelope for my check twice a year. I have not looked carefully to see if there is a credit card option but they have no problems with the check.

Second, I am a member of a small club and paying them the dues by check is easier for them as they have no epayments facility and it is easy enough to walk the checks to the local bank (plus no fees - see below).

Finally there is my church. While they do accept epayments, the church is assessed a fee of something like 1.5%-2% by the payment processor (as are all forms of epayments) and the church asks us to add additional money on top of our payment to cover that cost (ex. If I am paying $1000 towards my pledge, the fee could be $15 extra). In that case I say F__K IT and I pay them by check dropped in the plate. They get the full amount I am paying and I am not paying some payment processor $15 or so for the privilege of making an payment that I can easily do by check. If the church stopped taking checks for some reason, then I would pay by cash and let them figure it out. I am NOT paying the crazy convenience fees.

As far as I know, paying by check is still "free" except for the possible postage which is still cheaper than any "convenience fee" that is assessed on electronic payments.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:24:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah it sucks getting behind some relic with a checkbook. Then they stand there and balance the damn thing after they are checked out.

Listening to a grown man whine like a bitch about it would be worse.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:24:40 AM EDT
[#7]
My job is centered around banking compliance and fraud. Card fraud makes up the majority, but there are more balances in place to track, protect, and cover users for cards.

Checks are just like "HEY, HERE ARE MY ACCOUNT AND ROUTING NUMBERS, WILL YOU PLEASE FUCK ME". Add to that the process for check fraud is much, much harder to overturn and track, so victims usually get a lengthy financial fucking instead of a few days of insured investigation.

I requested my bank stop sending me checks and destroyed all of mine, as do all of the people in my field. When you use checks you're basically handing out individual copies of your card.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:26:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Some basics about money people need to understand. Debt based money. And that every credit card transaction contributes to the concept and we in America are addicted to it. Every dollars spent on a credit card is money created by banks out of thin air.
View Quote
Is that bad?
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:32:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I pay some mail in bills with checks. I do not carry a checkbook. I hate people who write a check for groceries or other goods when there is a line of people behind them.
View Quote

I've never written a check in my life in person at a store. My wife pays bills with our checks, and occasionally I'll purchase something via the Net / phone and pay with a check.

Cash in person, or CC online.

I have been behind MANY a person paying with a check at a grocery store. "What's today's date?" is your first clue it's a nitwit.

Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:37:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Church offerings and how my kids piano teacher likes to be paid
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:39:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I only have a couple things I write checks for and everything else is paid online. No way in hell im writing a check at the grocery store and haven’t seen anything pay at the store in a long time. About half of my customers pay for their service/installs with checks though.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:41:05 AM EDT
[#12]
This makes me want to write a check at the grocery store.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:41:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This makes me want to write a check at the grocery store.
View Quote
It only works if you ask how to spell everything out.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:43:03 AM EDT
[#14]
To piss off millenials and gen z whiners. They were good enough to keep you fed and clothed when you were little shits completely dependent on mom and dad.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:43:09 AM EDT
[#15]
I save 3% off the total at the auto repair shops
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:44:31 AM EDT
[#16]
The couple that boards our horse only take cash or check and we dont carry cash. Same for my landscaper.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:45:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's 2020, why in this day and age ,do people still use checks at the checkout? I audibly groan every time I see someone pull the checkbook out and take forever to fill it out at the register. Now granted it always seems to be "folks of a certain age" but I can't wait until checks go the way of the cassette tape and pay phone. Using plastic is quick and seems so much safer. Like someone said in another thread, you lose a credit card, it's one phone call to reverse the charges. The ONLY reason I keep checks around is to mail funds, even then, I try to use Paypal first.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:45:47 AM EDT
[#18]
I hate checks.

But.

Credit cards often have a $2k daily limit.  Debit cards a $500-$1k daily limit.  Wire transfers are a PITA and have a fee.  

I occasionally get a cashiers check if I have to buy something big.

Because of the bullshit drug war laws, moving money is a bear.  And $10k ain't what it used to be.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:47:56 AM EDT
[#19]
because they're old as fuck
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:49:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Personally I rarely use them.  Business I use them all the time
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:49:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I hate checks.

But.

Credit cards often have a $2k daily limit.  Debit cards a $500-$1k daily limit.  Wire transfers are a PITA and have a fee.  

I occasionally get a cashiers check if I have to buy something big.

Because of the bullshit drug war laws, moving money is a bear.  And $10k ain't what it used to be.
View Quote
I'm not aware of any CC daily limits.

I think the single biggest charge I've ever put on a CC was like $3500 though.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:50:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Because we simply don't trust the internet, and many times it's just the easiest way, excuse me for living!
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:51:05 AM EDT
[#23]
For personal use checks are pretty much dead and I an glad about that.

Business use is completely different.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:51:56 AM EDT
[#24]
a person buys an item without a tag (different size shirt) , all they have to do is grab the same item next to it with the tag so the cashier can scan that one rather then a long wait for a price check

these are the people you can loathe
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:52:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Old people.

They can't get with the times.
View Quote

Fuck that. Most of what I see using checks are welfare pigs. I don't know why, most of them can't even use calculators.

Retirees often use them because it's what they know, although since all boomers are rich they use should their Visa Gold and Platinum cards and let their accountants take care of it all. BTW, most stores scan the check and process it electronically from a blank check which is immediately returned to the customer, all filled out for their records.

I write one check a month. The people I rent from can't keep track of cash payments, and aren't set up to accept credit/debit cards from their rentals.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:52:52 AM EDT
[#26]
See a guy at work at least once a month with all his bills in envelops with a check for each one head out to go pay them.  He still reads the newspaper though. Sometimes I ask, "so what happened in yesterdays news" or "did you read about", then insert news that just broke.

Think the only thing I have to use a check for is my annual range fee.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:54:56 AM EDT
[#27]
I watched a woman pay for her prescription last week with a check for $0.86. It made me angry and I wasn’t even in line behind her.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:58:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Paper record matters sometimes.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 11:02:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I do it because I know it annoys the impatient children.
Real answer: its just another tool in the tool box.
GD is full of Ageism. The banhammer needs to come down before a lawsuit.
View Quote

Lol lighten up Boomer
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 11:04:32 AM EDT
[#30]
1 - Because car dealerships charge 3% on CC payment (cock suckers).
2 - Paper trail of payment or non-payment with a bounced check.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 11:05:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mine is 5000 or 7500 not sure. If I’m spending that much or more it’s most likely going to be a check.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 11:09:55 AM EDT
[#32]
I'll only use a check when no other options exist.

I tend to write no more than 5-6 per year it seems.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#33]
I recently spent four hours on the phone trying to resolve a card issue. I've never had to do that with a check.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 11:14:04 AM EDT
[#34]
What if you card stopped working for whatever reason or the card reader is down?

And you do not have enough cash on you?

Though not common this has happened to me and some others over the last few years and had to pay with a check.

Not common but it can occur.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 11:15:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Mine is 5000 or 7500 not sure. If I'm spending that much or more it's most likely going to be a check.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine is 5000 or 7500 not sure. If I'm spending that much or more it's most likely going to be a check.
Why not get the points/cash back?
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 11:16:39 AM EDT
[#36]
I use cash or a card depending. I always like having cash on hand because sometimes you can score a deal at a yardsale or estate sale.
I used checks for rent, utilities, and membership at the sportsman's club. Now I have a mortgage and a different utility company, and I can pay both online without a stupid transaction fee. Still need a checkbook for the sportsman's club unless they get with the times.

My boomer parents finally got debit cards this year. I showed my dad that transactions show up almost instantly on the credit union website. Live balance instead of people holding onto checks forever is much better.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 11:16:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
OP are you of those people that buy a soda for 1.99 and whip out your cc card ?
View Quote
Actually yes, yes I am lol.

I try and carry the least amount of cash as possible. Plastic is King!
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 11:17:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Mainly business transactions, wrote one last month for $117,289.95.

Keeps the accountant happy and all my clients pay by check.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 11:17:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Not everyone is a city dweller.

My local hardware store, water company, and refuse company don't accept any type of card payment.

ETA: And recently decided to pay electric bill online, until I learned they want $3 to do so. Fuck that.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 11:18:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Do you own a business? If you did, you'd understand.
Check for $1000 - you get $1000
CC charge for $1000- you get $960-985

I talked to some business owners that paid $32,000 in credit card fees last year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's 2020, why in this day and age ,do people still use checks at the checkout? I audibly groan every time I see someone pull the checkbook out and take forever to fill it out at the register. Now granted it always seems to be "folks of a certain age" but I can't wait until checks go the way of the cassette tape and pay phone. Using plastic is quick and seems so much safer. Like someone said in another thread, you lose a credit card, it's one phone call to reverse the charges. The ONLY reason I keep checks around is to mail funds, even then, I try to use Paypal first.

Do you own a business? If you did, you'd understand.
Check for $1000 - you get $1000
CC charge for $1000- you get $960-985

I talked to some business owners that paid $32,000 in credit card fees last year.
Agreed, so use a debit card......
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 11:19:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
More and more places are charging CC surcharges.  

If a client pays me $1,000 via CC, I have to cough up $10-$40 in fees, depending on the card they use.
View Quote
Bu, bu, but, my free money.
That "free money" that everyone in GD loves has to come from somewhere... the merchant. Then he folds those costs into the price of goods.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 11:21:01 AM EDT
[#42]
I pay with checks just. to annoy people like the OP.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 11:21:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^This
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 11:21:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Same. Mail in to avoid the processing fees but also for water here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because I refuse to pay a $5 fee per transaction to give the city my money for garbage and sewer every month.  They get their money more quickly online but want to charge the customer for it.  Nope!

Same. Mail in to avoid the processing fees but also for water here.

Our water, sewer and Garbage are on one bill.
But paying $60 a year more to give them my money more quickly?  Yeah...that won't happen.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 11:21:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Just another reason to dislike boomers.
View Quote

Keep looking and you should find all you need.

Haters gotta hate.
Voting Biden this year too??
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 11:21:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What if you card stopped working for whatever reason or the card reader is down?

And you do not have enough cash on you?

Though not common this has happened to me and some others over the last few years and had to pay with a check.

Not common but it can occur.
View Quote
I do actually carry a blank check in my wallet.

It's for an account that never has much in it though. (Less than $50 currently)

I figure if it's something that important I can just do a transfer (that's instant) on my phone before writing it.

If I don't have reception and CC readers aren't working and banks are closed and I don't have the cash it just wasn't meant to be
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 11:25:58 AM EDT
[#47]
My 83yo father in law cannot grasp that a check, once scanned by the point of sale system, is converted to an electronic debit and the paper check is void. He gets into verbal arguments with cashiers all the time that they need to keep the check to get paid, while they insist it is his per their training.

He also carries his checkbook in the back pocket of his pants and regularly drops it in the stall at the grocery store after taking dump when he meets his retired friends for coffee every morning. The answering machine message 2-3 times a week is simply "Hey, it's ___, ___ left his checkbook again..." from the assistant manager on duty.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 11:27:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It's 2020, why in this day and age ,do people still use checks at the checkout? I audibly groan every time I see someone pull the checkbook out and take forever to fill it out at the register.

View Quote

Being I am able to walk into a supermarket and buy ONLY the crap on the list, and nothing else, I am the designated food picker-upper and have been going to 2 or 3 stores every single week for the past two decades. There might have been one person in that time that whipped out a checkbook.

Link Posted: 10/9/2020 11:28:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Being I am able to walk into a supermarket and buy ONLY the crap on the list, and nothing else, I am the designated food picker-upper and have been going to 2 or 3 stores every single week for the past two decades. There might have been one person in that time that whipped out a checkbook.

View Quote
Sounds lovely
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 11:31:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Because I refuse to pay a $5 fee per transaction to give the city my money for garbage and sewer every month.  They get their money more quickly online but want to charge the customer for it.  Nope
View Quote
A 5% debit or credit card transaction fee I charged by the city when paying for utilities...no thanks.  I pay by check.  The damn town doesn't even have a way for a person to see how much the owe or pay online.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top