Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 8:36:19 AM EDT
[#1]
The 9s I have were reliable, but not accurate to my standards.  Better than my Glock, but still not what I wanted.

The big 5" XD Tactical .45 acp seems to be acceptably accurate, but it's' huge.  I like it, but would not try to conceal carry with it.  It's waiting on me to once again prove to myself that I can't do anything in the way of aftermarket parts or ammo development to get the M&Ps (9 and .40) to shoot good groups.

I will say, the .45's seem to be (the three I've shot/reloaded for) short chambered, like people say about CZ 9MM pistols.  Ammo (all 230 grain LRN or 185 grain LSWC) that runs like a top in my 1911's won't chamber in the XD .45s.  All three of them will fail to completely chamber and I've had to shorten the overall length up a bit to make the reloads short enough to fully chamber.

No other issues with reliability (the 5" shoots the CCI/Speer 230 grain FMJ ammo really well).
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 9:14:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Love my Springfield XDM as well..

https://youtu.be/ylzhD8ysUQ4
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 9:52:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would not call any small part breakage a catastrophic failure if the gun is still intact and requires a minor repair. I have no idea who that guy is,what his classes are or what the percentage of guns in his classes are that might be XDs. Therefore 3 failing doesn’t particularly mean anything to me.

I own exactly 0 XDs,never had one.
View Quote

If it deadlines the gun and is not user serviceable in the field it most certainly is.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 10:03:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the .45acp XD and love it.  Soft shooting and accurate.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 10:24:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If Knight's Armament produced the very same pistol and priced it at $5K, it would be heralded as the best sidearm in history.
View Quote

That's probably true

I have quite a few of their pistols:

XDM 3.8 9mm
XDM 5.25 9mm
XDS 3.3 9mm
Hellcat OSP 9mm
XDM 4.5 OSP 10mm

I have nearly 20k rounds through the 5.25 and about 12k through the 3.8. zero stoppages in either.

I've never had a stoppage of any kind out of any of my Springfield pistols. I trust my life to them. I've personally experienced and witnessed far more stoppages from Glock than Springfield.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 10:27:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a few, all very good shooters.

The XDM 10 and the 45's actually fit in your hand, very ergonomic.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Decent gun. Works 100% of the time. Better guns out there.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 10:36:15 AM EDT
[#9]
1. SA's actions in IL.
2. Annoying first time gun owners that get them because they want to have something different than a Glock because they think it makes their purchase more unique. About 4 or 5 years later they dont care much for it because they have had the luxury of trying other platforms out including Glock. I see this same trend with somebody buying their first guitar. There is resistance to buy what is popular / common for some people.

All in all they are a handgun. Everyone that I have fired works.

Link Posted: 9/6/2021 10:42:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I will just stick with my HS2000.

No need for Springfield rebranded stuff, go to the source
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 10:42:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Love my XD sub compact.  It's the only gun I own that has never had any sort of failure.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 10:45:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I love mine.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 10:52:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No idea about quality, but I've been admiring the XDM Elite and its 22rd mags for awhile.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/IMG_20200402_121044767_HDR-01.jpeg
View Quote

Interesting...
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 11:06:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I had an XD9SC as my CCW for years. It was 100% reliable, Accurate. Finish over carbon steel was not all that.
So when the M&P 9 came along with its blackened stainless steel slide, barrel and internals I was hooked. Love me some blackened stainless steel.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 11:13:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have no doubt they go bang when they should. I don't promote Springfield after what they did within IL political machine.
View Quote

This and Croatian wonder gun HS2000. Not a fan of grip safeties. They don't work with the ergo of my hand.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 11:14:39 AM EDT
[#16]
For me, my distaste for the platform comes from the fact that part failures common to the XD family completely deadline the gun and require a sanitary bench and punches to fix.

If the striker roll pin decides it's time to give up the ghost, the gun is dead. Same for the grip safety pin, or spring.

Apart from FN, I cannot think of a single striker fired handgun that is less friendly to work on. The XDm frame and fire control group is unnecessarily complex.

I think the bottom line is the XDs work fine until they don't. When they don't, you're going to have a much more difficult time getting them back up and running. Plus, the more complex nature and higher number of wear/consumable parts makes them more time consuming and expensive to maintain long term.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 11:18:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Trigger could be better but I haven't had an issue with it yet.

Link Posted: 9/6/2021 11:19:49 AM EDT
[#18]
grip safeties are gross . one more thing that fails
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 11:28:58 AM EDT
[#19]
I have the grand daddy to the Springfield XD ...the Yugo/Croatian PHP MV in 9mm. Not many made in the 90's during the civil war there.

This first gen can still use the latest XD mags with a simple mod of cutting a notch. Holds 15 rounds in mag.

This gun is so ugly its cool IMO. Like a Beretta 92 and a P38 had a baby. Neat collector gun. Not my pics BTW.

They made them a short and longer barrel version as well as pictured here.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 11:29:40 AM EDT
[#20]
I went to the gun store to by a glock 35 and was talked into buying a XD 40 Tactical. It’s my least favorite gun to this day. It shoots ok, goes bang but I just don’t shoot it well
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 11:33:39 AM EDT
[#21]
The only stoppages I've had on any of my XDs are due to shooting suppressed...usually around the 500 round mark the chamber is too dirty to allow the slide to return to battery.

A couple passes with the bore snake and wipe down of the feed ramp and its good to go again.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 11:35:23 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a XDM tactical in .40. Never had an issue with it. I like it. It is my night stand gun.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 11:40:32 AM EDT
[#23]
They're trash.
They're for budget minded customers (aka cheapos and poors)

People who have them and claim they're good guns either don't know the difference, don't shoot much, or it's that strange gun culture phenomenon where people try to convince others their junk is just as good as top shelf options.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 11:44:47 AM EDT
[#24]
They were a really great gun at 2 to 300 bucks when they were branded as the HS 2000.

most places they cost more than a Glock. They are in no way size shape or form in the same league as the Glock.

in my opinion the gun they must directly compare with is the Ruger American
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 11:54:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Xd45 4” was my second gun and first striker pistol.

Probably fired 500 rounds through it. Much smoother shooting 45 than my 1911.

It’s a meh gun. Mine worked. It’s a utility gun, not blessed with looks, reputation nor nostalgia.

I like to tinker with guns and there is not a huge market for it.

Sold it to my father in law.

Link Posted: 9/6/2021 12:02:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Internet commando gun snobs like to poke fun about the Grip Zone" intsruction on the handle, but they are good guns.

I know one of the fuddiest "muh 1911 won two world wars" types I've ever known. Dude still wears an 80s vintage NRA ball cap, the one with the gold laurel wings. Years of singing the praises of Plastic Fantastic finally soaked in. He bought an XD. He loves the thing and can shoot the piss out of it. It is now his EDC.  I shot it. It's a good gun. After a few years of ownership, he said it has had zero malfunctions.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 12:02:37 PM EDT
[#27]
I don’t know anything about them. I just don’t care for the way they look or feel in the hand. And I like just about every gun.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 12:06:30 PM EDT
[#28]
I've had an XDm nine forever. It's a fine handgun.

Just as gud as my Glocks.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 12:11:25 PM EDT
[#29]
My only complaint is the high bore axis.....I shoot other pistols more accurately and faster.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 12:12:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Have 2 XD's.  I've carried boutique 1911's, Glocks, Sigs, Beretta Elite, all kinds of nice weaponry but now carry an XD9.  I like that there is more metal in the XD than a Glock, which contributes to a far less squishy trigger in the XD. Factory metal sights, mags, mag release also.  Its a beast of a pistol with no frills (mine has frills )

Attachment Attached File

Regardless of what you think of him, Massad Ayoob isn't going to lie about pistol reliability and he's quite fond of the XD:

https://www.thearmorylife.com/does-ayoob-hate-the-xd/

But why would you listen to an expert when some asshats on the internet say otherwise?  There is so much BS out there about XD's like this video, where no one outside of his little bubble of super high speed fellow instructors has experienced any of the kinds of failures he describes. I'm guessing the group of instructors he polled would remind most people of the open carry Chipotle Rangers.  Of course if you dry fire the shit out of an XD you'll eventually damage the striker roll pin, but that doesn't happen from normal firing. The design of the gun doesn't allow it.  That crap about shearing off the grip safety sear is complete BS.  I guess its possible there are some people that have oddly shaped/sized hands where the grip safety fails to disengage but that would have to be rare.

The Springfield XD is the McRib of Sidearms | Active Self Protection Extra

Link Posted: 9/6/2021 12:15:23 PM EDT
[#31]
I’ve owned a few, and always had good luck with them. They’re not my first choice, but I’d run it if that’s what I had. Also, their triggers can be made superb and shit all over even the highest end Glock aftermarket options. Like a longer high-end 1911 trigger. While that’s all fine and well, I think I’ll stick to my Glocks all things considered personally.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 12:16:01 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm no fan of Springfield, but they are good pistols. Kind of a Glock with better ergonomics.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 12:18:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 12:22:41 PM EDT
[#34]
It is also worth noting that they make a DA/SA hammer fired version now.

Quoted:
If Knight's Armament produced the very same pistol and priced it at $5K, it would be heralded as the best sidearm in history.
View Quote

You're not wrong, but that says more about KAC than the XD.

Link Posted: 9/6/2021 12:23:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 12:29:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Springfield XP's are just a rebranded Croatian import. When it was sold directly as an HS2000 it was a $199 pistol.

Springfield puts their name in it and the price more than doubles.

Runs ok. Extremely high bore axis. Replacement parts, magazine springs, followers, etc. almost non-existent. 3rd party manufacturers now making slings more available.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 12:29:49 PM EDT
[#37]

Why is it that seeing that has never triggered me? Is this an undiagnosed but on the spectrum and doesn't know it thing? Could explain why I never saw the relevance or was bothered by it though, and I'm not even a fan of the Xd so what gives? Fandom of something else toxicity?
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 12:29:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 12:33:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
For me, my distaste for the platform comes from the fact that part failures common to the XD family completely deadline the gun and require a sanitary bench and punches to fix.

If the striker roll pin decides it's time to give up the ghost, the gun is dead. Same for the grip safety pin, or spring.

Apart from FN, I cannot think of a single striker fired handgun that is less friendly to work on. The XDm frame and fire control group is unnecessarily complex.

I think the bottom line is the XDs work fine until they don't. When they don't, you're going to have a much more difficult time getting them back up and running. Plus, the more complex nature and higher number of wear/consumable parts makes them more time consuming and expensive to maintain long term.
View Quote

From what I remember the striker roll pin failure didn’t deadline the gun, they functioned even with the broken roll pin and it was only a small batch of .40 cals that had the improperly heat treated pins.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 12:34:41 PM EDT
[#40]
They’re outstanding guns, in every iteration they are available in.  They are extremely accurate, eat everything you feed them, and just don’t fail.

There are other good polymer guns out there.  I just like the XD line better than the others.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 12:39:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I know right... remember that flash in the pan 1911 they made years ago? The grip safety was the death of that gun. That's why you never see them anymore.
View Quote
Remember when most people who were serious about 1911s started disabling the grip safety entirely or adding a huge speed bump to it?
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 12:45:50 PM EDT
[#42]
I like mine. It’s adequate.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 12:47:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Remember when most people who were serious about 1911s started disabling the grip safety entirely or adding a huge speed bump to it?
View Quote

I literally don’t know a single person who has done either of these things.

But I do know someone who got Glock leg.

Link Posted: 9/6/2021 12:49:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

From what I remember the striker roll pin failure didn’t deadline the gun, they functioned even with the broken roll pin and it was only a small batch of .40 cals that had the improperly heat treated pins.
View Quote

It deadlined my XDm 5.25" 9mm in the middle of a match. The broken off portion of the pin bound the striker in it's channel. Dead gun.

The whole "it's only a problem if you dry-fire" is an issue in my mind. You should be dry-firing regularly. No other modern center-fire handgun requires snap caps or any other insulation to prevent damage to the firing components. It's an interior design in my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
They're trash.

People who have them and claim they're good guns either don't know the difference, don't shoot much, or it's that strange gun culture phenomenon where people try to convince others their junk is just as good as top shelf options.  
View Quote

I've shot several matches with a first gen XD9.  Ran 100%.  

I shot it "much" and it is a good gun.  At the time I bought it, glocks were no more expensive.

Also, the grip safety is great.  I always re holster with my thumb on the back of the slide.  This keeps my hand off the grip safety and is an extra layer of protection against snagging the trigger while re holstering if all the other precautions fail.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 12:54:18 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't give a shit what the gun is. If you like and it shoots a bad guy in the face, it's gtg.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 12:54:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
They are meh pistols.  Canik is superior.
View Quote
??

Turkish goat fuckers do not produce a better pistol than Croatians. ??
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 12:59:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I don't give a shit what the gun is. If you like and it shoots a bad guy in the face, it's gtg.
View Quote

Until it stops working because you bought something which fails at a higher rate than similarly priced options.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:00:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I literally don't know a single person who has done either of these things.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I literally don't know a single person who has done either of these things.

Weird.  Can't remember the last time I saw a competition or issued 1911 that didn't have a modern speed bump safety.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:01:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
They're trash.

View Quote

Good choice for a screen name. Posts like this nonsense confirm it. Pretty much every time.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top