BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 10:47:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I grew up in Maryland, hiked up Sugarloaf Mountain a few times, and have cut down lots of brush with a machete, so I guess that makes me an expert on this particular case.  From what I can gather, she was on a whorecation, trying to get enough money to get out of the Itty Bitty Titty Committee and one of her john's got tired of her and dumped her on the side of the road after 10 days of bondage.  Of course I should add that I haven't even read a news link about this, just this thread, but that's my expert opinion.....
View Quote
So you’re basing your “expert opinion” on nothing since you didn’t even read the news story? Sounds like something a liberal politician would do...making comments without knowing knowing the facts.  Just sayin’.....

Here is a pic to help you see what condition she was in when they finally found her
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 11:02:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I blame the size of current phones which are rather the size of old tablets. You need a belt and a belt holster to run with those.

When the smallest satellite comms rescue device is smaller and lighter than a phone, perhaps runners should take those when venturing around treacherous mountain trails.

https://static.garmincdn.com/en/products/010-01879-00/v/cf-lg-7723cfb6-c11b-4761-a41e-96dd0983e10e.jpg
View Quote
Garmin InReach took its 3,000 SOS signal in the fall of last year. If you’re deep in the wilderness, or alone, your fucking retarded for not having one. It’s $400.00 and is something like $15 to activate for a month. Or sit at the bottom of a waterfall waiting to die. Whatever.

The inreach with GPS is much better unit as a life saving device. Especially when you are lost. It breadcrumbs your trail and you can drop and name pinpoints. Like “car”, or "parking lot". And with a topo built in, she might have seen that cliff she jogged off of.

But I wouldn’t want to jog with anything that big. You know. Unless there was donuts.

ETA- my InReach never leaves my truck. And it is always on me when I'm out and about.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 11:50:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The inreach with GPS is much better unit as a life saving device. Especially when you are lost. It breadcrumbs your trail and you can drop and name pinpoints. Like “car”, or "parking lot". And with a topo built in, she might have seen that cliff she jogged off of.

But I wouldn’t want to jog with anything that big. You know. Unless there was donuts.
View Quote
You can have a GPS in a watch. It won't act as a PLB but it will help you get out if you can still move. There is no technical reason you couldn't have a watch size PLB, you would need it to have a wire antenna though that deploys only when needed. I'm pretty sure someone will come up with a product like that eventually.

But OTOH if you are unable to do even coarse navigation by the sun, you either don't even have a watch with you, are unable to get to safety within a couple hours or you are too risk bearing to invest in any kind of technology or training to help getting un-lost.

I find it funny how some of these commentators are praising her experience in keeping hydrated and “not giving up” for surviving 2 weeks outside, while nobody wonders how she got lost in the first place, why she went alone without any comms in case of injury, why she left her shoes to dry next to a stream subject to flooding, why she didn't improvise sun shade for her feet and face or a splint and cruches for her broken tibia etc. Those are like level 1 common sense things and not Eagle Scout or raw snake eater level SERE qualifications.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 12:29:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I know this girl. Our group of friends have been praying hard for her safe return. Thank God they found her.

For those of you mouth-breathers that have obviously never been off the beaten path in Maui, there are tons of places that if you fell, you would not be climbing out on your own. Especially if you were injured.
View Quote
Thankful and glad that she was found alive.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 12:34:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So did she plan this or was she just incompetent.

Funny how whenever these strong independent women try being independent they fuck up.
View Quote
LOL.  Land nav criticism from a Brit?

I spent a semester with a British LT, and at one point, he was mocking us when we were bitching about our upcoming land nav stuff.  He says, "I don't see the problem.  You sight an azimuth to the next hill and walk there."  He's talking about open fields and hopping over 3 foot stone walls, and stuff like that.  And the rest of us are kind of looking at each other with a raised eyebrow.  A week later, welcome to Appalachia, and "the art of rhododendroning".  He promptly retracted his previous comments.  And he learned new profanity.

And I think the Hawaii would be even worse.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And with a topo built in, she might have seen that cliff she jogged off of.
View Quote
No.  Unless it's a thousand foot cliff, it's really not going to show up as an identifiable cliff on a topo.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 1:10:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So you’re basing your “expert opinion” on nothing since you didn’t even read the news story? Sounds like something a liberal politician would do...making comments without knowing knowing the facts.  Just sayin’.....

Here is a pic to help you see what condition she was in when they finally found her
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/05/25/13/13946334-7069421-image-a-1_1558788425546.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I grew up in Maryland, hiked up Sugarloaf Mountain a few times, and have cut down lots of brush with a machete, so I guess that makes me an expert on this particular case.  From what I can gather, she was on a whorecation, trying to get enough money to get out of the Itty Bitty Titty Committee and one of her john's got tired of her and dumped her on the side of the road after 10 days of bondage.  Of course I should add that I haven't even read a news link about this, just this thread, but that's my expert opinion.....

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/05/25/13/13946334-7069421-image-a-1_1558788425546.jpg
whooooooosh!
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 1:12:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/27/2019 1:15:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't know guys. But to me, this sounds like "Two weeks camping vacation in Maui".

How stupid is this physical therapist?
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 1:21:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When did you find out that you were autistic?
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 1:22:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I love GD
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 1:23:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Just when you think it’s reached it’s potential, it finds another gear...
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Glad they found her.

I thought for sure that she had been murdered.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 1:33:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No.  Unless it's a thousand foot cliff, it's really not going to show up as an identifiable cliff on a topo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And with a topo built in, she might have seen that cliff she jogged off of.
That's the joke... It wasn't a good one.

The new InReach Explorer Plus has a great GPS. Much better than some of my older units. Pair with Garmin Earthmate App for some great maps and features.

But you are correct. Won't show a 20' "cliff" aka chunk of lava rock.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 1:34:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't know guys. But to me, this sounds like "Two weeks camping vacation in Maui".
View Quote
When I read just the title, from someone getting lost for two weeks in Hawaii this was the first thing I thought of.

BTW, season 10 starts the day after tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 1:36:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Conditions including autism, closed head injuries, brain lesions and schizophrenia can interfere with the ability to perceive sarcasm.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 1:37:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmmm...

Link Posted: 5/27/2019 1:48:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You can have a GPS in a watch. It won't act as a PLB but it will help you get out if you can still move. There is no technical reason you couldn't have a watch size PLB, you would need it to have a wire antenna though that deploys only when needed. I'm pretty sure someone will come up with a product like that eventually.

But OTOH if you are unable to do even coarse navigation by the sun, you either don't even have a watch with you, are unable to get to safety within a couple hours or you are too risk bearing to invest in any kind of technology or training to help getting un-lost.

I find it funny how some of these commentators are praising her experience in keeping hydrated and “not giving up” for surviving 2 weeks outside, while nobody wonders how she got lost in the first place, why she went alone without any comms in case of injury, why she left her shoes to dry next to a stream subject to flooding, why she didn't improvise sun shade for her feet and face or a splint and cruches for her broken tibia etc. Those are like level 1 common sense things and not Eagle Scout or raw snake eater level SERE qualifications.
View Quote
I'm picking up a Garmin Fenix 5x Plus as a quick use and backup GPS to the InReach before my next hunt. It will also help to track puls/ox while out and other nerd features. OnX dupes the watch GPS. Watch GPS dupes the InReach. InReach dupes the sat phone. Sat phone dupes the radio. Being able to find the dirt strip and comm with the bush pilot, mf priceless.

There is a large gap between the drive to survive, and the inability to die.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 2:40:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Often with a broken leg? Please.

I've seen canyons with waterfalls where if you get down the upper falls (you won't get back up fighting the water), the lower falls is too high to traverse, and the walls are too steep to climb without technical gear...especially with a broken leg.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am a climber, I climb out.
Often with a broken leg? Please.

I've seen canyons with waterfalls where if you get down the upper falls (you won't get back up fighting the water), the lower falls is too high to traverse, and the walls are too steep to climb without technical gear...especially with a broken leg.
I agree with you.

I hobbled down only part of a groomed black diamond ski run and maybe 1/4 mile flat ground on an unstable broken ankle. That was with the benefit of a snowboard for support, steep but negotiable terrain, and a boot cinched down as a makeshift splint. It took a long fibula plate & 8 screws to fix that.

Even with technical climbing gear, you may be SOL. I cratered on a sport rappel trying to impress a date back in college and knocked an ankle out. Going back up the 60' grade 2-3 scramble to retrieve my gear wasn't in the cards.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#20]
InReach and OnX on an indestructible phone for me.

Great combination that provides me with SOS and significant data.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 3:22:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 3:32:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Drugs or psychotic episode?
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 3:38:45 PM EDT
[#23]
No cell phone?  That makes me think Mental health crisis.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 3:58:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 4:00:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Sometimes I wonder if it's sarcasm or what someone will claim after they posted something and later regret it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
A lot of people apparently have no idea how dangerous Hawai’i can be.

My wife and I plan to retire on Kauai, which is a pretty small island.  But, about half of it is completely undeveloped, with no roads, infrastructure or anything.  A popular hiking trail along the Na’pali coast (the Kalalau Trail) is actually a very dangerous hike - and hiking off the trail is practically impossible, even for very experienced hikers.

My wife and I went on a hike/kayak day trip when we were there earlier this year.  A muddy and slippery trail was the only access, and it would be super-easy to fall and get injured in a variety of spots ... if someone went inland, and left the trail, it would be stupid easy to get lost or injured or both.
View Quote
That trail is beautiful but not all that super dangerous.  But you could fall off if you were tarded.  Some guy did get pushed off and lived.  Now the beach that you first come to is the really dangerous place.

But like every other trail I've been on in Hawaii  you ran across people pretty often.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 4:11:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 4:18:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

People do die from falling off, and some occasionally die from flash flooding.  A guy also died from being pushed relatively recently - guy who pushed him went to jail for second degree murder, I think.

Yeah, TONS of people have died swimming off the beaches on the trail.  I like the sign with the death-count that gets updated.  

ETA:  When we retire, you should come visit.  
View Quote
I will!!!

I've been there 3 times.  Love that Island.

Yeah people don't think flash floods be like they do.

My father in law almost drowned at one of the waterfalls.  I forget some people didn't grow up swimming in currents.

I think the guy who got pushed off lived though.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 5:06:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Well, I learned the term 'whorecation', so there's that.

Further, knowing my wifes level of condition (Yoga instructor), I am pretty sure, maybe, .5% of the population here could keep up with her.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 5:10:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
That trail is beautiful but not all that super dangerous.  But you could fall off if you were tarded.  Some guy did get pushed off and lived.  Now the beach that you first come to is the really dangerous place.

But like every other trail I've been on in Hawaii  you ran across people pretty often.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A lot of people apparently have no idea how dangerous Hawai’i can be.

My wife and I plan to retire on Kauai, which is a pretty small island.  But, about half of it is completely undeveloped, with no roads, infrastructure or anything.  A popular hiking trail along the Na’pali coast (the Kalalau Trail) is actually a very dangerous hike - and hiking off the trail is practically impossible, even for very experienced hikers.

My wife and I went on a hike/kayak day trip when we were there earlier this year.  A muddy and slippery trail was the only access, and it would be super-easy to fall and get injured in a variety of spots ... if someone went inland, and left the trail, it would be stupid easy to get lost or injured or both.

Dirt bikers and mountain bikes in the forest. I used to be one of them
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 9:23:19 AM EDT
[#32]
That one seems like a suicide.  Recent serious illness, lifechanging illness, telling friends he was going on a hike for "clarity", and being found at the bottom of what seems to be a very substantial fall.

I don't think this gentleman was lost, or looking for attention, and regardless, it's not going to change the wild, unfounded narrative about the lost female hiker.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 9:32:25 AM EDT
[#33]
I watched all 50 minutes of this, and I gotta say, She is like every other woman who comes to my home town (Sedona, AZ) to seek enlightenment.

MISSING HIKER SPEAKS in Bizarre News Conference
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 9:35:21 AM EDT
[#34]
People worry about the SHTF scenario?   Doesn't matter how many guns you have, if you don't have pants and shoes or boots your fucked.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 9:40:16 AM EDT
[#35]
She's apparently a fruitball and didn't have a broken leg.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 9:49:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

People worry about the SHTF scenario?   Doesn't matter how many guns you have, if you don't have pants and shoes or boots your fucked.
View Quote
Don't tell that to the hippies hiking in Hawaii with no shoes and pants.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 10:37:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Moving more into the mental health crisis category.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 11:04:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I watched all 50 minutes of this, and I gotta say, She is like every other woman who comes to my home town (Sedona, AZ) to seek enlightenment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbuWzs--Z6Y
View Quote
Wow, you've got some fortitude, bro.  I made it all of 1 minute 34 seconds.

Look, I have a high tolerance for hippie, but I'm just not sure I'm ready to click on that video again.  But, yeah, I will; you know I will.

Her whole "opportunity life coach" vibe just really struck the wrong ethereal lattice vibrational harmonic with me, and quite frankly ... has Feng'd my Shui.

Her whole perspective on life seems diametrically opposed to the philosophy I've laid out in my book Fuck this Stupid Fucking Rhododendron, and Other Tales from the Backcountry - A Children's Book
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 11:22:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
She's a self involved, babbling idiot; how in the hell did you listen to 50 minutes of her lunacy ?
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 11:31:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cell phones put out those bad rf vibes, man.  You can't detoxify being bombarded by the bad rf vibes.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 11:32:37 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm 13 minutes into the video and would like to take a moment to talk about deep, spiritual, non-verbal communication with potential rescue helicopters …

2 arms up in a Y: Yes, I need rescue!
1 arm up and 1 arm down to form an N: No, I do not need rescue.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 11:32:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
She's a self involved, babbling idiot; how in the hell did you listen to 50 minutes of her lunacy ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People who babble her bullshit pay my mortgage and provides a *really* nice life from my wifes Yoga studio.

Thankfully, they all want to hear the same exact thing "You are goign to be OK".  And they pay handsomely to be told this.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 11:34:57 AM EDT
[#44]
I have to wonder,   How did her feet get so sunburned and yet her arms and face were just fine?

News said her legs and feet had severe sun poison.

I guess there was not enough shade in the forest for her entire body so she choose her face over her legs.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 5:10:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
She's apparently a fruitball and didn't have a broken leg.
View Quote
Source?

Everything I've read said minor injuries and everyone has assumed broken foot or leg.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 5:24:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 5:24:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Not guilty.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 5:46:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Disoriented after meditating.

Huh.
View Quote
pakalolo

Link Posted: 5/30/2019 5:55:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Whew! I had no opinion of this story until listening to her. Now all I can think is, "put her back in, she isn't done, yet."
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Whew! I had no opinion of this story until listening to her. Now all I can think is, "put her back in, she isn't done, yet."
View Quote
Agreed.  After watching just two minutes of that interview I am reversing my decision.  Guilty AF.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top