Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:24:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Naw dawg.

I'll take a nitrided carbon steel pan for a fraction of the price.

Not that my $20 Lodges have ever failed me, mind you.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Made in China?

M
Actually, no. It appears that they're being made by Butter Pat Industries:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/241846/IMG_3568_png-2848902.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/241846/IMG_3569_png-2848903.JPG

So they took an already overpriced skillet, slapped the Yeti name on it and jacked the price up ~15-20%
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:25:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I can almost understand their coolers and cups because they do keep stuff colder, longer (Not long enough for me to buy, but my favorite drinking cup is a Yeti that was a gift, and that thing will still have ice in it after 24 hours....).but it's a cast Iron pan.  $40 at Walmart.
View Quote

The thing is, the Lodge pan you get for $40 at Walmart isn’t very good. It’s very crude with rough surfaces that aren’t finished well.

I prefer to find older stuff from companies like Griswold, Wagner, or BSR, and it’s not that hard to come by.

If we’re going to compare new vs new, a Stargazer pan can be had for $115, and those look pretty nice.

Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:25:44 PM EDT
[#4]
@rougeboss

He gonna tell us how superior this is to my 100 year old Griswold?
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:26:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I just picked up a vintage Griswold skillet off eBay for $56.  I think I will pass.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:28:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I bet they keep sticking their name on overpriced shit until people stop buying it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:29:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I found a cool old cast iron pan at a garage sale for $30, after cleaning and seasoning the bottom is smooth as glass and it cooks amazing

A $25 lodge cast iron pan will work just fine when properly seasoned
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:31:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The thing is, the Lodge pan you get for $40 at Walmart isn’t very good. It’s very crude with rough surfaces that aren’t finished well.

I prefer to find older stuff from companies like Griswold, Wagner, or BSR, and it’s not that hard to come by.

If we’re going to compare new vs new, a Stargazer pan can be had for $115, and those look pretty nice.

View Quote

It's easy enough to polish the cooking surface of a Lodge if it's that big of a deal.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:35:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Are people really that stupid?
View Quote

You saw the initial rise of Yeti, didn't you?

People will buy the shit out of them.

Yeti likely makes a special rack accessory for mounting on the exterior of those $100k overlanding rigs. The rack exposes the embossed bottom logo for all to see on Instagram pics.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:37:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Mr. Griswold will see you now
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lodge or GTFO.

Mr. Griswold will see you now

How about something made since the first professional football game aired on color TV?

At Griswold's price compared to Lodge, Griswold better be cast platinum.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:38:46 PM EDT
[#11]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Made in China?

M
Actually, no. It appears that they’re being made by Butter Pat Industries:

Only $55 more for the Yeti logo. That's a steal!
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:43:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can almost understand their coolers and cups because they do keep stuff colder, longer (Not long enough for me to buy, but my favorite drinking cup is a Yeti that was a gift, and that thing will still have ice in it after 24 hours....).but it's a cast Iron pan.  $40 at Walmart.

I have a pile of lodge, it's fine.

If it's that much of a deal to people, they can buy a lodge, a da sander, and sandpaper, and still have 300 left over for beer for the price of a yetipans.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:46:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I’m all fairness, that same skillet is $345 from the manufacturer. So “only” a $50 mark-up for the YETI name.

That said, I’d never pay that much for a skillet. My $30 Lodge cooks just fine, and has daily for years now.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:47:01 PM EDT
[#14]
YETI is a status symbol for hicks who are trying impress other hicks
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:47:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:53:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll stick with Smithey
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:53:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It's easy enough to polish the cooking surface of a Lodge if it's that big of a deal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's easy to polish it unevenly too, creating hot spots.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:54:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Nothing wrong with stupid people stimulating economy.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:54:34 PM EDT
[#19]
That's nuts.  Yeti stuff is insanely priced.  

I'll wait till it hits the outlet store if I want it that bad.  

I picked up a couple yeti down sleeping bags for 40 bucks a pop from the outlet.  They work well and are comfy.

Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:54:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

How about something made since the first professional football game aired on color TV?

View Quote

Griswold has a tighter grain and are lighter for the same size. I once found #5, #8, #12 skillets, Scotch bowl and a round griddle at a garage sale for $30. The #8 is probably half the weight of the same size Wagner and Lodge skillet. The #5 is light enough to throw in a pack for pan fried trout.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:55:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I have always stuck up for Yeti....I think their coolers are superior, AND they drove other manufacturers to up their game.

But this is fucking stupid. It is almost like Yeti said "Let's see if we can get away with it!"

I cook on cast iron almost every day, with Lodge and ancient un identified pans. I thought I was being fancy when I bought a  Field Company pan
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:56:37 PM EDT
[#22]
How is it better than my $14 (30 years ago) lodge? Sure I had to break it in and do a little sanding to get it smooth and perfect, but it wasn’t $386 worth.

I say this as a mad with a matching pair of $200 pepper and salt grinders. I have no issue spending good money on things that make sense.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:56:55 PM EDT
[#23]
No Trans yeti spokesperson, no care.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:58:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice.  4,000% margin?  Fuck yeah.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:58:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I bet they keep sticking their name on overpriced shit until people stop buying it.
View Quote

Duh.
I would too.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:59:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

UM yes they are !
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:06:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Duh.
I would too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Duh.
I would too.

Hey if people want to pay it I hope they laugh all the way to the bank. Not for me but more power to them.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:07:23 PM EDT
[#28]
It's official.

Cast iron pans have reached "Hipster" status.

Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:10:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

yes
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#30]
I wouldn't pay $200 for it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:11:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Waite for it, where is it made?
Could it be China?
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:12:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Does it come pre-seasoned?
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:13:16 PM EDT
[#33]
I thought to myself $300 as I clicked this thread.

And I was fuckin’ low! Fuck yeti
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:15:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Could it be China?
View Quote

Nope.  It's made for them by Butter Pat Industries who is an American made cast iron cookware manufacturer.

Still isn't worth $400 though.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:16:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Post a thread about how good a Lodge skillet works will bring those ignorant people to front and center.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:17:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/241846/IMG_3567_png-2848891.JPG

I have a good amount of their stuff, and genuinely do like what they make. This is a bit special, though.
View Quote

Clicked thread expecting laughably stupid price on the product.

Was not disappointed.

Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:17:50 PM EDT
[#37]
If I brought that home, my wife would beat me to death with it for wasting that kinda $.  And, rightly so.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#38]
It does look like it has a nice smooth cooking surface.  Maybe $120 nice; not $400 nice.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:18:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Ouch.

I get why a Stargazer, Field or something similar is $150ish instead of $40 for a Lodge. You can see the quality difference.

I'm not sure how a re-branded Yeti is worth 3 times as much.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:20:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Yeti does make decent stuff. I picked up one of their coolers on sale from Dick's for our camping trip to Disney's Fort Wilderness earlier this year and it held ice for our entire weeklong trip.  Looking forward to using it tailgating when the Jaguar games start back up.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:23:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Griswold has a tighter grain and are lighter for the same size. I once found #5, #8, #12 skillets, Scotch bowl and a round griddle at a garage sale for $30. The #8 is probably half the weight of the same size Wagner and Lodge skillet. The #5 is light enough to throw in a pack for pan fried trout.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good for you, but I am not at the point in my like where I can spend my Saturday mornings yard sale shopping.

Lodge is currently employing Americans making cast iron. Griswold nor Wagner are currently doing that.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:24:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Attachment Attached File

Gimme a knockoff.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:27:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

But Lodge is just as gud!

Then again, I don't know shit about cast iron.

Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:29:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Patiently waiting for the 1st yetibutts post featuring the skillet.

https://www.instagram.com/yetibuttsdaily/?hl=en
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:30:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you have to ask, you know the answer.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:31:21 PM EDT
[#46]

One of the arfbros (what's taterweldings screen name again?) with a fiber laser needs to do this NAO

I wanna send in one of my old Lodge's for a Yeeti upgraydd
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:32:39 PM EDT
[#47]
GD gets so mad when free markets happen.

No I’m not going to purchase it, but I don’t give nearly enough of a shit to tell them to stick it up their ass and treat it like someone just kicked my child.

It’s an overpriced skillet. Who gives a fuck?
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:35:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Good for you, but I am not at the point in my like where I can spend my Saturday mornings yard sale shopping.

Lodge is currently employing Americans making cast iron. Griswold nor Wagner are currently doing that.
View Quote

I found this stuff years ago when I was in my late 30's. I live in well known area for quality garage sales and they only happen on certain weekends. At that time, the oldsters were aging out and getting rid of quality made in the USA shit. I have a ton of vintage Coleman too, going back to the 50's. Sadly those times are past. These days it's junk and plastic baby toys at the sales and people think their crap should sell at new prices. I haven't been to a sale in years.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:36:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
So they took an already overpriced skillet, slapped the Yeti name on it and jacked the price up ~15-20%
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Made in China?

M
Actually, no. It appears that they're being made by Butter Pat Industries:

To be fair, the Yeti does come with some scraper and a chain scrubber. I don't know if the Butter Pat comes with that.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:37:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Could it be China?
View Quote

Actually they are made in marylands eastern shore.   I’m very impressed with the machined finish on all surfaces.

Could give my Smithey a run for the money
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top