AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 6:49:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
not to hate on pmc lovers , im sure its nice ammo, but i prefer US made ammo. i think pmc is Korean.  just a preference. id rather pay extra for us made, on anything not just ammo. please correct me if im wrong by the way

You are wrong; consider yourself corrected––––––––––––––––

PMC (Korean) like IMI (Israeli) is first run ammo made for us or over run not rejects.
All US military ammo are rejected lots and are therefore seconds.
Now, most of the US ammo is fine but there have been a few lots that had more than a few problems (discussed here)

If you ever wondered why US ammo is not M193 and M855 but has another designation like XM855 now you know why:
Although

That was why some was labeled "Not for duty use" so LE would not deploy it on the streets
It intended for training only when bought by LE

Wulfmann

Id like some more insight on this,  I was under the impression that both first run and 2nd run (or rejected ammo, which was marked "not for duty use") was available to the public.

I have seen a few vendors stating in the description  "this is first run ammo..etc etc"

Example  this is from Palmetto

"This Ammunition has been loaded and passed true NATO specifications. This is first run ammo that met the US Military’s strict quality assurance standards and specifications."

"This ammunition has passed Military Specification Testing and is NOT Quality Control Rejected Ammunition. This ammunition does not carry the lable "NOT FOR DUTY USE""

A few other places say the same thing.

Either you are wrong Wolfman  or a lot of vendors are trying to pull a fast one and if that is indeed the case, I think they should be called out on it.

I just received from Wideners a 300 round box of Remington M855 loose packed cartridges.

Box is marked :
Federal Ammunition
XM855F3
5.56mm
62 GR M855 Ball
LCAAP Rifle Cartridges

Rounds are loose packed in a plastic, zip tied bag inside the box.

This is the first M855 I've ever purchased and if I like it would assume I will buy more. But my question I guess is - is this 1st, run, 2nd run, rejected lot?  I've learned a good bit reading thru this thread but now I'm confused as to "1st run" , etc.
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 9:37:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 9:44:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 9:48:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

It is what the military uses so that is what people want despite the fact that against an unarmored opponent M193 is superior.

Very few people here are shooting opponents, unarmored or otherwise.

One benefit would be that most sights, think A2, carry handle,LMT,KAC.. or military type optics, ACOG, Elcan, ... are calibrated for the 62gr round.

Link Posted: 5/3/2012 10:05:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

US Made only.  call me crazy, but I dont trust the other shit.

If you insist; You're crazy

Well, one would have to be crazy to think the Israelis would have China make their ammo and with US made ammo offered to us civilians military rejects and IMI not I am not sure how logical your argument is but respect your right to have and hold on to it.

But, I for one, am happy with all the people who buy the US reject stuff.

It leaves more of the better stuff for those of us that do not call ourselves crazy for a good reason

Wulfmann

This is the biggest bunch of BS on the internet. US made ammo is NOT rejects or seconds. It is first run ammo loaded to commercial specs.

Read this and change your song, you've been spreading that BS for too long.

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 5:31:16 AM EDT
[#6]
So, if what you say is correct (and since I read that on the internet it must be ) we have two variations of M193 ammo being sold.

One is US made first run loaded to 223 specs and not 5.56X45 specs and we know this because it has an added designation before the M193 like an "X"

Then we have M855 ammo which at least some (all???) is in fact military rejected lots and had been marked "Not for Duty Use" and this also has the "X" in front but that ammo is actually loaded to 5.56X45 M955 specs. SGA stated they removed the "Not for duty use" sticker and raised the prcie but it is the same ammo

Do I have that correct or are there two variations of XM855 one the rejected 5.56 loaded ammo and a first run 223 loaded version and how do we know which is which?

I do not mind being wrong and being corrected. It beats the crap out of continuing to be wrong

Wulfmann
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 5:53:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Using your link to the XM193 ammo I noticed a couple things.
they do not show M855 as a product and they have a Frequently asked question link and on that it stated:

Q: What are the differences between .223 and 5.56mm?

A: There are small differences that make each of these calibers unique. Most notably are the standards in which pressure is tested and measured. You can put .223 ammunition into a 5.56mm chamber, but not the other way around due to these pressure variances.

This seems to say they have loaded the XM193 down to 223 standards so it would work well in any 223 chambered gun (according to the linked page which stated:
• XM193 product is first run, first quality product manufactured at Lake City Army Ammunition Plant for Federal Cartridge and is made to Federal specifications typical for commercial ammunition. and "Manufactured to Visual Military Standards" (Notice "visual standards" not standards).

That also seems to indicate if you want "real" M193 ammo the IMI or other foreign ammo would (could, check to see) be a higher pressure, higher velocity ammo.

Since the range that optimal frag is 50 yards or less in a 16" barrel i would think it there is any intention of using this for SD "real" M193 would be a better choice (although I agree there are too many better choices for SD)

It was easier to understand why an entire batch of Federal XM193 was popping primers when it was thought to be rejected lots. So, what was their excuse for those failures???

Wulfmann
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 6:22:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Its NOT my SD ammo, its my stacking ammo.  

Its:
Cheap
Sealed
Penetrates
Cheap
Sealed
Penetrates
Brass
Cheap
Reliable
Cheap

I understand its limitations, and DO have good amounts of SD ammo...  

At this point, I see it as whats better if you have 1k to spend?   2800 round of m855 or 1000 or fewer rounds of your super sophicitcated SD ammo.....after you already have 1k or so rounds of your super duper sd ammo.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 7:09:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think a lot has to do with many of the ar15 variants now coming with 1:7 twist barrels instead of 1:9 twist barrels. If you have a 1:7 twist you will be shooting better groups with 62grain than 55grain.

The SS109 bullet in M855 ammo was designed to stabilize with a 1/9 twist barrel.
The reason for the 1/7 was the M856 tracer ammo that required the faster twist not M855

The difference above 69gr where 1/8 and/or 1/7 stabilizes heavier bullets and 1/8 while fine with 77gr 80 gr (single load too long for magazine) does better with 1/7 so unless you intend on using the 75gr and up 1/9 is fine

Wulfmann

Wulman we are saying the same thing. My point is if you buy a Spikes Tactical, Bravo Company or a PSA generally speaking you will be getting a 1:7 barrel. I personally perfer a 1:9 twist for most applications but many manufactures are going 1:7 to be milspec.

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 9:47:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Using your link to the XM193 ammo I noticed a couple things.

they do not show M855 as a product and they have a Frequently asked question link and on that it stated:
Q: What are the differences between .223 and 5.56mm?
A: There are small differences that make each of these calibers unique. Most notably are the standards in which pressure is tested and measured. You can put .223 ammunition into a 5.56mm chamber, but not the other way around due to these pressure variances.
This seems to say they have loaded the XM193 down to 223 standards so it would work well in any 223 chambered gun (according to the linked page which stated:

• XM193 product is first run, first quality product manufactured at Lake City Army Ammunition Plant for Federal Cartridge and is made to Federal specifications typical for commercial ammunition. and "Manufactured to Visual Military Standards" (Notice "visual standards" not standards).
That also seems to indicate if you want "real" M193 ammo the IMI or other foreign ammo would (could, check to see) be a higher pressure, higher velocity ammo.
Since the range that optimal frag is 50 yards or less in a 16" barrel i would think it there is any intention of using this for SD "real" M193 would be a better choice (although I agree there are too many better choices for SD)
It was easier to understand why an entire batch of Federal XM193 was popping primers when it was thought to be rejected lots. So, what was their excuse for those failures???

Wulfmann

Are you rally that dense? I've highlighted the relevant specs that we, as non military, are most concerened with.
MIL-C-9963F
3.1 General. - The cartridge shall comply with Drawing D10523632,

referenced specifications and the following:
3.2 Bullet extraction. -The force required to extract the bullet

from the cartridge case shall be not less than 35 pounds.
3.3 Residual stress. -The cartridge case shall not split when subjected

to a 1% mercurous nitrate solution for 15 minutes.
3.4 Waterproof.-The cartridge shall not release more than one bubble

of air when subjected to an internal pressure differential of 7½ pounds per

square inch (psi) for 30 seconds.
3.5 Accuracy. -The average of the mean radii of all targets of the

sample cartridges, fired at 200 yards, shall not exceed 2.0 inches.
3.6 Velocitv.-The average velocity of the sample cartridges,

conditioned at 70° ± 2° Fahrenheit (F), shall be 3165 feet per second

(ft/sec) plus or minus 40 ft/see, at 78 feet from the muzzle of the weapon.

The standard deviation of the velocities shall not exceed 40 ft/sec.
3.7 Chamber pressure.
3.7.1 Measurement by copper-crush cylinder.-The average chamber pressure

of the sample cartridges, conditioned at 70° ± 2°F, shall not exceed

52,000 pounds per square inch (PSI). The average chamber pressure plus

three standard deviations of chamber pressure shall not exceed 58,000 PSI.
3.7.2 Measurement by piezoelectric transducer.-The average chamber

pressure of the sample cartridges, conditioned at 70° ± 2°F, shall not

exceed 55,000 PSI. The average chamber pressure plus three standard

deviations of chamber pressure shall not exceed 61,000 PSI.
3.8 port pressure.
3.8.1 Measurement by copper-crush cylinder. -The average port pressure

of the sample cartridges, conditioned at 70° ± 2°F, shall be 15,000 PSI ±

2000 PSI,
3.8.2 Measurement by piezoelectric transducer. -The average pore

pressure of the sample cartridges, conditioned at 70° ± 2°F, shall be

14,400 PSI ± 2000 PSI.
3.9 Temperature stability.-When the sample cartridges are subjected

to the following storage conditions, the average velocity shall not

decrease by more than 250 ft/sec and the average chamber pressure by

either method used in 3.7 shall not increase by more than 5000 PSI.

the average port pressure by either method used in 3.8 shall neither Also ,

increase nor decrease by more than 2000 PSI with respect to the average

velocity, chamber pressure and port pressure of the sample cartridges of

the same lot, conditioned at 70° ± 2°F for a minimum of twenty minutes.

Any increases in velocity and decreases in chamber pressure of the sample

cartridges under these temperature conditions are acceptable.
Stored at 125° ± 2°F for not less than one hour and fired at that

temperature.
Stored at -65° ± 5°F for not less than one hour and fired at that

temperature.
3.10 Function and casualty.-The cartridge shall function without

casualty at ambient temperature and under the conditions specified in 3.9.
3.11 Stripping.-The jacket of the bullet, or any part thereof, shall

not separate from the slug when the cartridge is fired.
3.12 Fouling. -The fouling accumulated In the weapon during the firing

of 1000 sample cartridges shall not cause failure of the weapon to function.
3.13 Workmanship. -The requirements for workmanship are as specified

on the applicable drawings, referenced specifications and the following:
3.13.1 Metal defects.-The cartridge shall be free of folds, wrinkles,

deep draw scratches, scaly metal, dents and other defects.
3.13.2 Foreign matter.-The cartridge shall be free of corrosion, stains,

discolorations, dirt, oil, and smears of lacquer.
XM193
 • CALIBER: 5.56 mm, manufactured at the Lake City Army Ammunition Plant (LCAAP)

• CASE: Brass (Copper Alloy No. 260)

• BULLET: 55 gr. FMJ Boat-Tail

• PRIMER: M41 Operating Range: (-40 degrees to +125 degrees F)

• PRIMER SEALANT: Water resistant lacquer

• CASE MOUTH SEALANT: Yes

• CASE KNURL: No

• HEADSTAMP: Each loaded cartridge shall be headstamped with the manufacturer's symbol and year of manufacture

ACCURACY: 3-10round groups not to exceed 2.00" mean radius maximum average at 200 yards

INSTRUMENTAL VELOCITY: 3165 +/- 40 FPS (78 feet from muzzle) using a 5.56 test barrel, 20" long

• ENERGY: 1223 Ft-Lbs. at 78’

• CHAMBER PRESSURE: Piezotronic maximum average per 10 rounds - 55000 PSI in 5.56 test barrel (case mouth location)

• BULLET PULL: Minimum individual 35 lbs.

• PROPELLANT DETECTION: 100% mechanical/electronic detection of propellant levels within the cartridge

• VISUAL INSPECTION: 100% visual inspection of finished cartridges prior to packaging

• WARNING: For use in standard 5.56 mm chambers. Do not use in non-standard 5.56 chambers.

• PACKAGING: 20 Rounds per carton. 25 cartons per 500 round case.
That is the same specs as military M193. The difference is the Bill Clinton did away with sales of US military surplus ammo. Read that carefully MILITARY SURPLUS. This means the surplus ammo that is OWNED by the US military and deemed as surplus.
If it was never owned by the military it cannot be military surplus. It ain't really that hard to understand.
Is this made as military spec ammo? No military spec ammo must go through more stringent inspection and testing, this does not, it is there for not military but commercial spec. It is however made at the same plant, on the same machines, by the same people, using the same brass, primers, bullets, sealent and powder. It is loaded to the same pressure and tested for the same velocity on the same equipment using the same testing procedure.

Do you really think that they shut the lines down, change out all the components powder in order to run a look alike cartridge that they can then lie to the shooting public into thinking it is 5.56 when, as you now claim, it is a totally different .223 round?

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 10:00:57 AM EDT
[#11]

IMI M855 is good ammo.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 12:42:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

IMI M855 is good ammo.

Indeed. I wish we could get more.

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 2:18:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Nothing blows up rocks at the quarry better than xm855.....

Very satisfying.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 2:28:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Are you rally that dense?

Well apparently I ain't gots no good book lernen likes yous do so pleeze forgives me for my dumb questions sir

So I must be that dense

So you make an obscure remark highlight dubious data that refers to nothing at least in the sense of making any point and expect someone you believe to be deficient in discerning data to understand it without comparative analysis or any relevance

I went to the site posted their very remarks and you disagreed with them??? And, that is my fault!!

Well, at least it is entertaining

Wulfmann
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 4:13:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you rally that dense?

Well apparently I ain't gots no good book lernen likes yous do so pleeze forgives me for my dumb questions sir
So I must be that dense
So you make an obscure remark highlight dubious data that refers to nothing at least in the sense of making any point and expect someone you believe to be deficient in discerning data to understand it without comparative analysis or any relevance
I went to the site posted their very remarks and you disagreed with them??? And, that is my fault!!
Well, at least it is entertaining

Wulfmann
Damn, you really are that ignorant.
The "obscure remark, highlighted dubious information"is a direct quote from MIL-C-9963F, MILITARY SPECIFICATION: CARTRIDGE, 5.56MM, BALL, M193 [S/S BY MIL-DTL-9963G (CONTROLLED DISTRIBUTION)]., This
specification covers Cartridge, 5.56MM, Ball, M193, for use in the
5.56MM weapons. (Google it Einstein.)
The other is directly from the Federal website.
What they show when you compare the data, the part I highlighted for you in both listing so you didn't need to even look too hard for it, is that the XM193 and the M193 share the EXACT SAME pressure, velocity, bullet, bullet pull (seating), i.e. the important parts that effect the ballistics of the round.
As for disagreeing with what is posted on their site, it is you that is disagreeing. I showed you exactly where they list it as full pressure, full velocity, first run  5.56mm yet you insist on saying it is .223.
You still haven't addressed the issue that you are wrong about the seconds/rejects classification. Now your wrong about the caliber designation, and you haven't even commented on how anything can be military surplus if it was never made for, or under the control or possession of the military.
Welcome to my ignore list.

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 4:25:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The only difference is the X.  Seriously.

/fail

i think some of the xm ammo is up to mill spec but some clearly is not.

the recent xm855 '11 headstamp seems very high quality by all reports and they may just be blowing out NOS because of the new round.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 5:19:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Why not use it? high quality, cheap enough to use on the range in high quantities, accurate, many optics are calibrated for it.

and lets not forget zombies.

Obviously m855 isnt the best for SD, I have 2 mags loaded with TAP 75gr for SD and once that runs out I have 2K m855 and 500 of wolf. Same reason I use Speer gold dots in my FNX9 and G19 and have other magazines loaded with 115gr FMJ.

How much self defense ammo do you really need for a civilian?  If a bad guy decides to come in my house at night I am probably not going to need even a full magazine. But seeing as the good SD ammo is to expensive for when it is Book of Eli/zombie land outside M855 is a good back up
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 8:23:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 9:30:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Im not obsessed with em but I grab em when I can. Its just another type of ammo to me and for a certain type of task ;penetration.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 10:43:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don't feel M193 or M855 are great self defense rounds but with shot placement either will do.

Personally I use a combination for SD with one M855 IMI followed by one Privi 75gr match HPBT the idea being one barrier defeating round followed by a flesh eater.

I practice two round burst with my carbines using this cocktail..

To each his own

Wulfmann

WTF? Is this the zombie forum?
M855 is plenty good enough for un-armored (read: home invaders) roaches. I used in the mil, and and have it in one of my HD mags.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 10:46:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By ––bullseye––:

Quoted:
I read an article in the "Book of the AR15" magazine that was talking about the new solid copper m855. IIRC, they said that it wears out barrels twice as fast. Not sure if the same goes for the standard steel core m855, but I'll just stick with M193. I'm not sure I necessarily believe the claims in the article, but 193 is cheaper, runs flawlessly in my AR, and my sights are zeroed in with it. I can find no reason to run the green tips, and would rather not annihilate my barrel.

If I remember correctly, The ammo was loaded really hot. resulting in throat errosion.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 12:28:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't feel M193 or M855 are great self defense rounds but with shot placement either will do.

Personally I use a combination for SD with one M855 IMI followed by one Privi 75gr match HPBT the idea being one barrier defeating round followed by a flesh eater.

To each his own

Wulfmann

M855 is plenty good enough for un-armored (read: home invaders) roaches. I used in the mil, and and have it in one of my HD mags.

I think there should be a new Global Law for the Internet.  

Avatars should be outlawed and some method developed by which you are guaranteed to see the actual photo of the person/meat-sack posting remarks to every entry in every forum.  

It would be sooo helpful...so enlightening....just before you click ignore on some of these clowns.

I'm returning to the AR world since I finally replaced my Colt Sporter I sold a decade ago...but dear Lord some of these threads leave me weak from wading through the misinformation and bull-shit...

I'm not kidding here...I'm physically weak...and I take supplements and work-out...and I'm only in my mid-50s.

Link Posted: 5/5/2012 3:02:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Do you know guys who actually work at LC where they make the ammo?  I do.

do you think it possible they are not getting/telling the whole story?

i do.

whats not possible is the bad ammo that has been shot that was not milspec not to be possible.

Link Posted: 5/5/2012 5:07:16 AM EDT
[#24]
What about IMI ammo sold in the US - is it Mil spec?
Can you buy true Mil Spec?
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 6:12:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

IMI, LC m855 and X-Tac are all mil spec.

Link Posted: 5/5/2012 7:21:02 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Yes, and it's the BEST M855 out there in my humble opinion.

Link Posted: 5/5/2012 7:42:31 AM EDT
[#27]
obsession? nope. I just think its people wanting to use the stuff the military uses. Hell, I even find my self buying mil-spec stuff. I also know that mil-spec means the lowest price that will meet the military's specifications.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 9:39:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Wideners has the IMI in stock right now. Better Get Some. I did. $408 for 1200.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Those of you arguing with Wulfmann, just take a look at this thread he started to know what kind of mind you're up against:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1319226_Has_China_bought_all_Privi_contracts_for_future_ammo___.html

Link Posted: 5/5/2012 10:45:54 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Those of you arguing with Wulfmann, just take a look at this thread he started to know what kind a lack of mind you're up against:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1319226_Has_China_bought_all_Privi_contracts_for_future_ammo___.html

Fixed it for you.

Link Posted: 5/5/2012 10:50:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Personal attacks.  If you're going to disagree in a tech forum, do it in a respectful manner.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 11:03:43 AM EDT
[#32]
unlocke
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 11:04:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

To each his own

Wulfmann

I think what Wulfmann was getting at was that in some states it is legal to shoot through your (closed) front door, therefore the "barrier defeater" which might just end the situation before it unfolds further. In a home invasion any bullet would probably do. The problem with using M855 for SD comes down really to urban environments. You are accountable for every round you fire. So if a Penetrator round were to hit someone at your front door, go through them (remember bullets are unpredictable at this point) and go across the street, through a wall or window and hit your neighbors daughter, you are responsible. That being said, not every one lives in the city, but not everyone lives in the country either.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 8:03:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

IMI M855 is good ammo.

Indeed. I wish we could get more.

Indeed you can!
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 12:14:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 12:16:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
not to hate on pmc lovers , im sure its nice ammo, but i prefer US made ammo. i think pmc is Korean.  just a preference. id rather pay extra for us made, on anything not just ammo. please correct me if im wrong by the way

PMC (Korean) like IMI (Israeli) is first run ammo made for us or over run not rejects.
Now, most of the US ammo is fine but there have been a few lots that had more than a few problems (discussed here)

If you ever wondered why US ammo is not M193 and M855 but has another designation like XM855 now you know why:
Although

That was why some was labeled "Not for duty use" so LE would not deploy it on the streets

Wulfmann

Id like some more insight on this,  I was under the impression that both first run and 2nd run (or rejected ammo, which was marked "not for duty use") was available to the public.

I have seen a few vendors stating in the description  "this is first run ammo..etc etc"

"This Ammunition has been loaded and passed true NATO specifications. This is first run ammo that met the US Military’s strict quality assurance standards and specifications."

"This ammunition has passed Military Specification Testing and is NOT Quality Control Rejected Ammunition. This ammunition does not carry the lable "NOT FOR DUTY USE""

Either you are wrong Wolfman  or a lot of vendors are trying to pull a fast one and if that is indeed the case, I think they should be called out on it.

I just received from Wideners a 300 round box of Remington M855 loose packed cartridges.

Box is marked :
Federal Ammunition
XM855F3
5.56mm
62 GR M855 Ball
LCAAP Rifle Cartridges

This is the first M855 I've ever purchased and if I like it would assume I will buy more. But my question I guess is - is this 1st, run, 2nd run, rejected lot?  I've learned a good bit reading thru this thread but now I'm confused as to "1st run" , etc.

I inspected some rounds from my box (did not count and inspect each individual round- just grabbed a handful and had a look). I noticied about every other round a small ding in the cartridge casing. Bullets seemed seated correctly. My hands were dirty after handling.

Any cause to be concerned with the dings?

Link Posted: 5/6/2012 6:00:53 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Although

Wulfmann

Box is marked :

Federal Ammunition

XM855F3

5.56mm

62 GR M855 Ball

LCAAP Rifle Cartridges

I inspected some rounds from my box (did not count and inspect each individual round- just grabbed a handful and had a look). I noticied about every other round a small ding in the cartridge casing. Bullets seemed seated correctly. My hands were dirty after handling.

Any cause to be concerned with the dings?

No.

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 8:41:35 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm gonna repeat what has been said. My in-laws live 4 miles from lake city ammo plant. I've fallen asleep listening to 20mm vulcan test runs many a night.  They have many friends who work there.  One of the girls in my wedding party worked on the 7.62 line.

They tell stores all the time of pulling down huge lots (millions of rounds, Gaylords full) of mil Rounds. Those are rejects, those are seconds. They are not sold to us.  If its part of a mil run its for the mil, if something is off it gets pulled down. Clinton did it with the stroke of a pen.  It will never be sold to the public even if it sits on a base and rots for years.

You also have to understand that m193 isn't bought by the military any more. So whos Seconds could they be if no one is buying the firsts. Surprise it's all made just for us.

And everyone, every company sends out bad stuff from time to time. Seeing some of the thinking In this thread I'm surprised people don't say some of the crappier built ARs are just seconds/rejects they sell to the public.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 11:40:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm gonna repeat what has been said. My in-laws live 4 miles from lake city ammo plant. I've fallen asleep listening to 20mm vulcan test runs many a night.  They have many friends who work there. One of the girls in my wedding party worked on the 7.62 line.

They tell stores all the time of pulling down huge lots (millions of rounds, Gaylords full) of mil Rounds. Those are rejects, those are seconds. They are not sold to us.  If its part of a mil run its for the mil, if something is off it gets pulled down. Clinton did it with the stroke of a pen.  It will never be sold to the public even if it sits on a base and rots for years.

You also have to understand that m193 isn't bought by the military any more. So whos Seconds could they be if no one is buying the firsts. Surprise it's all made just for us.

And everyone, every company sends out bad stuff from time to time. Seeing some of the thinking In this thread I'm surprised people don't say some of the crappier built ARs are just seconds/rejects they sell to the public.

Pics, please
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 1:57:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

sweet, i thought  they used it for training.

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 8:09:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

sweet, i thought  they used it for training.

A friend of mine recently finished basic, he was telling me that they were using the "green" version of M855 which has an all steel core for training but were told they would be issued steel penetrator/lead core M855 upon deployment.
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 11:57:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm gonna repeat what has been said. My in-laws live 4 miles from lake city ammo plant. I've fallen asleep listening to 20mm vulcan test runs many a night.  They have many friends who work there.  One of the girls in my wedding party worked on the 7.62 line.

So is the M855 they sell on the commercial market over run? Rejects? What is it?
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 12:20:43 PM EDT
[#45]
My question is: Does the ammo the military receives look as shitty as the stuff we are sold?
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 12:40:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
<snip>
<snip>

You beat me to this.
I have been wondering for a while who the XM193 rejects were rejected by since I have not seen any military contracts for M193 in quite a while.
Quoted:
So is the M855 they sell on the commercial market over run? Rejects? What is it?

I highly doubt they are actually rejects. I have heard this for years, however, this ammo looks EXACTLY like the ammo I was issued in the army.
Same small dents, same dirty looking brass.

Think about it this way....
As lawsuit happy as people are these days,
you are going to take a product that has already failed some test or QC, re-package it to sell to a litigious public?
Just waiting for an accident?

Link Posted: 5/9/2012 12:41:20 PM EDT
[#47]
I thought many branches such as the Navy and Airforce still have 1/12 twist M16 uppers and still use M193.
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 1:21:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>
<snip>

You beat me to this.
I have been wondering for a while who the XM193 rejects were rejected by since I have not seen any military contracts for M193 in quite a while.
Quoted:

I highly doubt they are actually rejects. I have heard this for years, however, this ammo looks EXACTLY like the ammo I was issued in the army.

you are going to take a product that has already failed some test or QC, re-package it to sell to a litigious public?

What about the M855 marked "not for duty use"? Was it the same as the M855 that doesn't have those markings?
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 2:59:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>
<snip>

You beat me to this.
Quoted:

What about the M855 marked "not for duty use"? Was it the same as the M855 that doesn't have those markings?

I do not know why they had those labels on some cans and not others.
I never saw (in person) or bought any cans that had that label. All the ammo I bought in those 420rnd ammo cans looked just like issue ammo.

You could e-mail them and ask.

I still don't think the .gov buys enough M193 anymore to generate the " XM193 is floor sweepings argument"
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 3:40:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top