User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 908
Link Posted: 5/24/2013 6:38:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By gunnut003:
Originally Posted By AggiePhil:
How is the switch from an Aimpoint (Mod 0) to an EOTech (Mod 1) an improvement?  

Improved field of view for one..and batteries are common enough, it not like they die every day.

The FOV argument is misunderstood, you're supposed to keep both eyes open for both sight systems.
Link Posted: 5/24/2013 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By tweeter:

Improved field of view for one..and batteries are common enough, it not like they die every day.

The FOV argument is misunderstood, you're supposed to keep both eyes open for both sight systems.

Exactly. That's another reason why I highly prefer the T1.

As it's slimmer in diameter, it obstructs less of my sight picture.
Link Posted: 5/24/2013 7:14:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Haha...of course not!  LOL
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 9:30:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I need some suggestions as to what I may have done wrong with my rails installation. It looks almost prefect but I have to crank my irons way up and to the left to get close to a zero.

I have Knights Armament sights, the taupe colored front sight and the micro rear sight.

For the purposes of zeroing, I set rear sight so the arrow is on the little "z"  mark. I put the front sight all the way down. Now to get on paper I have to crank the front sight pin almost all the way up until it's level with the little ears that stick up. You know so if your looking at the front sight like \ | /  the center sight pin would be at high at the two ears that protect it from damage.

Then to get on the center of a zeroing target, I have to crank the rear sight almost ALL the way to the left of the upper receiver. I can get it zeroed so I can hit a 25 meter zeroing target almost spot on but damn, it seems like I really gotta crank the piss out of the sights.

I've removed and reinstalled the M4-A1 RIS II rail a few sights and it appears as though the barrel it ever so slightly canted to the right which would explain having to crank the rear sight almost all the way left.

The problem is, if I adjust the rail to the point that the rear sight is somewhat centered, the rail looks visually canted when compared to the upper receiver. If I adjust out the rail so the front sight doesn't have to be cranked up, it looks OK but if remove both sights and set the upper upside down on glass, the continuous rail is not flat.

Right now I have the upper dialed in so its 100% flat and continuous on glass. Also it looks STRAIGHT at hell but the barrel is canted.

I'm wondering if I bent my barrel? I bought a Daniel Defense complete barrel because originally I had the M4-A1 RIS II FSP rail. I later changed to the standard rail so I had to remove my front sight post and the pins were a BITCH to remove. I had to use a 3 pound hammer, and yes I know the pins are directional. I hammered them out the right direction, it just took a few good whacks to get them started.

I do have optics, I have a micro but I really just wanted my irons set so I know they are set and how far left and up I had to adjust just annoyed me.

Does anyone have any useful information or thoughts? Does everything I'm saying make sense?

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 10:50:07 AM EDT
[#5]
RoadBlock:

It could be the face of the receiver is not true. I have had to lap uppers with a Brownells lapping tool to get some barrels to seat flat and / or straight.
Its not uncommon to have an upper that has a not perfectly machined front thread face.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/receiver-tools/ar-15-m16-upper-receiver-lapping-tool-prod20220.aspx

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 12:30:03 PM EDT
[#6]

I meant deviation for solid cheekweld.  i have multiples of each, i use them to build clones, and it is not like either is garbage, but it is entertaining to watch the fanbois dish put and defend these sights... ,
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 1:49:20 PM EDT
[#7]

I meant deviation for solid cheekweld.  i have multiples of each, i use them to build clones, and it is not like either is garbage, but it is entertaining to watch the fanbois dish put and defend these sights... ,

Ok, now lets talk EOtech versus the Elcan--I want to save up enough for a Specter DR, but I could also afford an EOtech + Magnifier WAY sooner.  I know the merits of both, but do you guys think I would be satisfied w/ just using an EO+magnifier?  Does the 1moa dot turn into a 3-5moa dot w/ magnifier(depending on magnifier) and obscure any of the target?
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 2:12:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 2:37:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By cowboy:
The dot and the target are both magnified. So the moa stays the same.

duh

Thanks.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 3:04:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Any block II's with aimpoint pro's in the wild?  Had to sell my 1-4 lt 104 combo to pay for some school tuition and dont think I will be able to come up with enough to replace it with another T1 or 553
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 4:34:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TXWoodsman:
Any block II's with aimpoint pro's in the wild?  Had to sell my 1-4 lt 104 combo to pay for some school tuition and dont think I will be able to come up with enough to replace it with another T1 or 553

Mabey some comp m2's but I don't believe theirs any nsn# for pros
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 5:48:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By hatexoc:

Is there a nsn for t1's? Or are they all purchased out of pocket?
Looks like it will be irons only for awhile then.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 6:09:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AR-Ryan21] [#13]

Is there a nsn for t1's? Or are they all purchased out of pocket?
Looks like it will be irons only for awhile then.

I recall Augee saying something about hearing the T1 would be getting an nsn in the near future. I don't recall exactly what he said though. I'm sure he'll be along to explain.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 7:58:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 8:39:41 PM EDT
[#15]
As much as I loved the Elcan I decided I needed to part ways with it. I just couldn't justify keeping it around when the majority of the shooting I do is within 100 yards. I am loving this 553 though.

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 8:43:20 PM EDT
[#16]
If anyone has a spare or unused Remote Cable Switch (pressure switch) for the Insight M3X that I could buy that would be awesome. Not the dual one just the normal one to attach with Velcro/tape. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 9:32:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Got my new light yesterday. Next up is the correct front sight.

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 9:47:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By mercdank:
If anyone has a spare or unused Remote Cable Switch (pressure switch) for the Insight M3X that I could buy that would be awesome. Not the dual one just the normal one to attach with Velcro/tape. Thanks.

I've got an extra black one you can have. If you want it PM me.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 9:51:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By shadowfax71:
RoadBlock:

It could be the face of the receiver is not true. I have had to lap uppers with a Brownells lapping tool to get some barrels to seat flat and / or straight.
Its not uncommon to have an upper that has a not perfectly machined front thread face.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/receiver-tools/ar-15-m16-upper-receiver-lapping-tool-prod20220.aspx

Interesting thought! I did not think about that. The upper receiver is a Daniel Defense and the barrel is also a Daniel Defense. I would have hoped that would not be an issue with a DD product but it was bought as a stripped upper and a complete barrel but not attached to each other.

OK good place to start. I'm going to pull the barrel, remove the gas block and roll is on glass to see if its true, like you would a pool stick. Then I'll check to see if it's canted when installed with just the nut.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 10:05:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Roadblock:
RoadBlock:

Interesting thought! I did not think about that. The upper receiver is a Daniel Defense and the barrel is also a Daniel Defense. I would have hoped that would not be an issue with a DD product but it was bought as a stripped upper and a complete barrel but not attached to each other.

OK good place to start. I'm going to pull the barrel, remove the gas block and roll is on glass to see if its true, like you would a pool stick. Then I'll check to see if it's canted when installed with just the nut.

It could also be the rail.  It's easy to tighten the screws on one side tighter than the other, which will pull the rail towards that side.  Best way to check is to look at where the barrel comes out from the rail towards the muzzle; is it centered? I mic'd mine at .203" all the way around to make sure it was perfectly straight.  This required minor adjustments on the screws securing the rail to the end plate.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 10:48:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Roadblock] [#21]
Originally Posted By Will816:
Originally Posted By Roadblock:
RoadBlock:

It could also be the rail.  It's easy to tighten the screws on one side tighter than the other, which will pull the rail towards that side.  Best way to check is to look at where the barrel comes out from the rail towards the muzzle; is it centered? I mic'd mine at .203" all the way around to make sure it was perfectly straight.  This required minor adjustments on the screws securing the rail to the end plate.

Oh I'm sure the barrel is shifted to the right a bit. I can SEE that it is ever so slightly. But if I adjust the rail until the barrel is straight, the rail is noticable canted and if you lay it upside down on a mirror, its bowed and not FLAT like the rail portion should be. Basically, it's one or the other.

I can have the rail flat and true, but the barrel canted OR the barrel centered and the rail canted and not flat.

But if the face of the upper receiver is not true, and it needs to be lapped with that tool, that makes sense as to why both would be off depending adjustment. Both items are affected by the barrel nut and receiver face.

That tool is $26.95 at dealer cost from Brownells, seems like it would be worth it to add it to the tool box.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 11:32:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By NapeSticksToKids:
Originally Posted By mercdank:

I've got an extra black one you can have. If you want it PM me.

Sent, thanks man.
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 11:24:35 AM EDT
[#23]
The Aimpoint T1 along with the Leupold MK6 3-18x44 has been integrated into the ECOS-O (Enhanced Combat Optical Sight - Optimized).  

They've popped up here and there as COTS.    

~Augee
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 11:46:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Augee:
The Aimpoint T1 along with the Leupold MK6 3-18x44 has been integrated into the ECOS-O (Enhanced Combat Optical Sight - Optimized).  

~Augee

Looks very expensive.
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 2:06:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Tmender03:

~Augee

http://blogs.militarytimes.com/gearscout/files/2013/04/www040413gsECOS-O.jpg
Looks very expensiveawesome.

I think that would make for an excellent mk12 optic system.
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 5:25:59 PM EDT
[#26]

~Augee

http://blogs.militarytimes.com/gearscout/files/2013/04/www040413gsECOS-O.jpg
Looks very expensive.

I thought the t-1 was supposed to be offset.
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 5:50:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Maybe a bit much for mk12 but most definitely for mk110.....

Augee what was it designed for?
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 7:07:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Maybe a bit much for mk12 but most definitely for mk110.....

Augee what was it designed for?

I would just like to take this moment to clarify that I do not have any kind of "inside track" on information coming out of NSWC-Crane or the SOPMOD program in general, and have no current direct involvement at all with logistics, procurement, evaluation, or acquisition, nor with SOF or within "the industry."  

The majority of the information I am able to provide is derived from open-source and/or informal in nature.

With that out of the way, it is my understanding that the ECOS-O was at least originally intended as the "do-it-all" Miniature Day/Night Sight (MDNS) solution to eventually replace all of the many optics currently used with a single system.  

It is my strictly personal opinion that it would not be well received in this capacity.  I could easily see the T1 being removed and used as a stand-alone on the M4A1 if it is in fact issued "universally," intent be damned, though I could see it being used as presented on the MK 17 and MK 20, as well as on the M110.  Unit funding may be contracted making new "non-program" optics more difficult to obtain - but aftermarket T1 mounts might not be as difficult... even for individuals, a <$200 mount is easier than a $700 sight.  

The "Big-Army" is supposedly exploring a similar concept with the Squad Common Optic.  Personally, I see both as being a step backwards from the mixed solution currently fielded, and better for paper-pushers and loggy types who only have to keep track of one inventory item than end-users.  

Besides that, I will reserve further comments and judgment and see how it all develops.  I could be wrong about its intended basis of issue.  

It would seem to make the most sense to apply this to the MK 17/20 and M110 systems alone, while retaining both the SU-230 and SU-231A.  I have not yet seen an "SU" designation that may be assigned to the ECOS-O, and/or what the individual components may be considered.  

The most information comes from Military Times, my opinion of which is generally well known, but appears to be consistent with most other things I've seen and heard.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 8:49:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JShepard] [#29]
I thought the t-1 was supposed to be offset.

No, the 12 o'clock position was specified in the initial proposal. The reasoning is that very few end-users train to shoot with an offset red dot, whereas Elcans and ACOGs have had 12 o'clock mounted red dots for a very long time now. In this way there is no retraining required.

That being said, since its a ring mount I don't see why you couldn't loosen it up and rotate the T-1 to whatever position you like.

...better for paper-pushers and loggy types who only have to keep track of one inventory item than end-users.

~Augee

I don't know how it works in other units and services, but in Group sensitive item inventories are done at a team level. Also, I have yet to see anything get taken away when new items come in to "replace" old ones. We still have PVS-7Ds and PVS-10s on the books and crowding the armsroom, even though they haven't been used for years.

I do agree with you that this optic will not be well received as a general-purpose optic. Most guys will continue to run EOTechs, I don't see that changing.

Link Posted: 5/27/2013 11:25:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quick question about ejection port covers, I've seen a lot of Block II's with the tear drop FA and figure this has to be done at depot level to existing stores of stripped M4 uppers. My question though is what about the ejection covers? Are these the familiar A2 type or the CAR type and match the tear drop FA's? I may be nuking this a little but am putting together a M4 upper and already installed the tear drop and have the opportunity to have either a CAR or A2 port cover, what says you?

Will
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 5:31:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Augee] [#31]
Originally Posted By JShepard:
...better for paper-pushers and loggy types who only have to keep track of one inventory item than end-users.

~Augee

I don't know how it works in other units and services, but in Group sensitive item inventories are done at a team level. Also, I have yet to see anything get taken away when new items come in to "replace" old ones. We still have PVS-7Ds and PVS-10s on the books and crowding the armsroom, even though they haven't been used for years.

I would still think that for fielding and maintenance issues, a single LIN would be much easier to deal with than multiple systems.  I am making a certain number of assumptions that at a certain point, the supply bureaucracy ends up being similar, and that property books are still managed with PBUSE (or whatever system if they've already replaced it... I try to avoid overexposing myself to this stuff... )... older unused items are easier to deal with... as long as you can remember where you put them, they rarely go anywhere, they rarely break, and BII and COEIs rarely go missing.    

~Augee
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 10:21:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Took the Block II out today for some Memorial day shooting, and it appears I may have lost a screw on my Elcan. I was taking my MRDS off and found a small washer, then noticed what appeared to be a missing screw. I wonder if I can get another from Elcan.
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 2:44:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AnthonyL] [#33]
This thread has successfully inspired my M4A1 Block 2 build.  I already have a LE6920 rifle in the safe for the base of the build.  Here is my before and planned after using Pimp My Gun.

BEFORE

AFTER

The ball is rolling as I picked up a new Colt 14.5" SOCOM barrel, and new MaTech BUIS off GunBroker tonight for a great price.
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 9:18:49 AM EDT
[#34]

From MP.net
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 1:37:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By AnthonyL:
This thread has successfully inspired my M4A1 Block 2 build.  I already have a LE6920 rifle in the safe for the base of the build.  Here is my before and planned after using Pimp My Gun.

BEFORE

http://i.imgur.com/558AOQV.png

AFTER

http://i.imgur.com/xkR7WfM.png

The ball is rolling as I picked up a new Colt 14.5" SOCOM barrel, and new MaTech BUIS off GunBroker tonight for a great price.

Should get a non FSP like below
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 1:56:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KILO1-1] [#37]
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 1:58:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By AnthonyL:

BEFORE

http://i.imgur.com/558AOQV.png

AFTER

http://i.imgur.com/xkR7WfM.png

Should get a non FSP like below
<a href="http://s284.photobucket.com/user/joshauclarkson/media/myweapon1_zps1a45feac.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll35/joshauclarkson/myweapon1_zps1a45feac.jpg</a>

Yes.
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 2:21:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Ranger

Link Posted: 5/28/2013 3:14:29 PM EDT
[#40]
FSP for the win!

Link Posted: 5/28/2013 3:23:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jukeboxx13] [#41]
So can some of you guys post pics of " Phase Replacement" clones please?

ETA Found these "PR" pics on page 500.

Link Posted: 5/28/2013 3:28:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Block II and PR, also a Bushmaster Predator and Colt R6601

IMG_3633 by Will816, on Flickr

IMG_3634 by Will816, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 3:34:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jukeboxx13] [#43]
Nice, and as of right now I think I like the "PR" over the "Block II".

Another Re-post from page 500

Link Posted: 5/28/2013 3:39:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Will816] [#44]
Originally Posted By jukeboxx13:
So can some of you guys post pics of " Phase Replacement" clones please?  

ETA Found these "PR" pics on page 500.

Ha, that's all me on top
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 4:00:26 PM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 5/28/2013 5:13:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By jukeboxx13:
Nice, and as of right now I think I like the "PR" over the "Block II".

Another Re-post from page 500

That'd be my old PR 5.45 style.
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 7:41:05 PM EDT
[#47]

That paint-job makes me hard.

Link Posted: 5/28/2013 7:53:32 PM EDT
[#48]
All this 553 love and no exps3 . I thought that was designated as the new SU231B. I went the exps3 route and love having the optic package on  just the upper reciever lots of real estate now.
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 8:00:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By rippleadder:
All this 553 love and no exps3 . I thought that was designated as the new SU231B. I went the exps3 route and love having the optic package on  just the upper reciever lots of real estate now.

It's the SU-231A designation and its out there but I guess not with the Rangers? I actually like the 553 a lot because of the 2x CR123s and the easy open battery compartment.
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By rippleadder:

I'm an Aimpoint guy all the way, but if I ever went to the dark side, I'd opt for the EXPS3 all day over the 553.
Page / 908
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top