Page / 913
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 7:47:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 8:48:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Getting there...

Link Posted: 10/19/2011 8:55:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jonconsiglio] [#3]
Took mine out today for the third time and with xm193 I was surprised how accurate it was at 100 yards and I was using only irons then the T1. I'll get a couple pics up later. This was the first time I shot for any accuracy, though I just shot prone from the magazine. The other two times out were just between a few meters and 50.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 9:27:48 PM EDT
[#4]
FAWK, the last part I need is the taupe front sight but it's so damn hard to justify spending almost $200 for a single BUIS that will likely not get used often.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 9:29:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By cowboy:
Originally Posted By NapeSticksToKids:
Originally Posted By bad_timing:
You are GTG with the Micro rear sight and the Taupe front sight.

so whats the difference between the regular and micro? i thought the micros were shorter in height

Just a smaller mount. Same height.

It also has a smaller knob and if you raise and lower the sight a few times you can get the windage knob to turn... At least on the two I've tried it on. I don't care for the micro front as it doesn't have any protection when it's down. After breaking one and bending another of the URX II's integrated sights, I'm cautious of folding front sights and their mounts.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 11:40:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: the-answer-is-42] [#6]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:
FAWK, the last part I need is the taupe front sight but it's so damn hard to justify spending almost $200 for a single BUIS that will likely not get used often.

Mine NEVER gets used, but every time I See one in a photo, and I look in my safe and see it, I get a chubby.

Same with my mk12 parts and accessories

ETA stop being a pussy. Get it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 11:41:44 PM EDT
[#7]

That's why i went with black. I may get the taupe in the future but i'm leaning towards just painting the whole rifle anyways.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 11:42:46 PM EDT
[#8]

That's why i went with black. I may get the taupe in the future but i'm leaning towards just painting the whole rifle anyways.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 11:43:14 PM EDT
[#9]
My wallet is the pussy, not me.

Ain't no price difference between the taupe and black ones... or is there?
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 12:01:15 AM EDT
[#10]
most of the big stuff banged out!!!!

Link Posted: 10/20/2011 12:11:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 1:11:15 AM EDT
[#12]
My wallet is the pussy, not me.

Ain't no price difference between the taupe and black ones... or is there?

mine were used though. I'll eventually get what it's supposed to have.
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 1:50:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jonconsiglio] [#13]

I try to run mine up with the Aimpoints. I don't have to have them up, but I like having them there... I like the KAC front because it's secure when folded down. The micro and the Troys, for example, can still take a good hit to the sight body itself when folded down. This KAC front will take a hit to the base instead of the sight. I've broken two on my URX II rails, so I appreciate those little things.
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 6:32:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Do the older Black sights have the NSN?  I have an early front sight that does not have a NSN on.

Regards
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 7:46:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 8:51:46 AM EDT
[#16]
One of the older black sights that I have is not marked with an NSN. You're GTG.
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 9:17:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Holy smokes, I just found an epic deal on a pair of KAC sights!!!!!!!11111!!!!!!!!1!!!!!11!

Link Posted: 10/20/2011 9:22:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Holy smokes, I just found an epic deal on a pair of KAC sights!!!!!!!11111!!!!!!!!1!!!!!11

wouldn't that be nice!
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 1:23:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jonconsiglio] [#19]
Nothing too exciting but it was my third time out since getting this upper last week and my first time past 25 meters. I got a little ahead of myself and wrote 100 yards, but it was actually closer to 85. On the left are the first 3 shots of the day and first 3 ever on this rifle with irons to see where I was hitting with them and a mechanical zero. KAC front and rear. These were shot using the magazine as support and without the magnifier.

All ammo was xm193. Barrel is a 14.5" CHF Bravo Co with a mid length gas system.

Link Posted: 10/20/2011 2:01:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Haha, as soon as I ordered a SF M300 in tan, I saw your picture. I decided that since the M3X long gun tan is about $215, might as well spend an extra $30 and get something a lot more powerful, and I could put a KM2 head on it at some point for IR.

My repaired/replaced SU-231 battery compartment should be here soon. Hopefully I will have no issues with it, as the reticule is awesome and much faster for my eyes to pick up when going on to target compared to a single dot, which can sometimes get lost.
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 2:18:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By osha:
Haha, as soon as I ordered a SF M300 in tan, I saw your picture. I decided that since the M3X long gun tan is about $215, might as well spend an extra $30 and get something a lot more powerful, and I could put a KM2 head on it at some point for IR.

My repaired/replaced SU-231 battery compartment should be here soon. Hopefully I will have no issues with it, as the reticule is awesome and much faster for my eyes to pick up when going on to target compared to a single dot, which can sometimes get lost.

I believe the KM2 requires a 3v power source. The M300 is a single cell 1.5v.
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 2:21:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jonconsiglio] [#22]

Unfortunate you can't put the KM2, or any IR head, on the mini scout m300... It needs a 6 volt system to run IR. which kind of sucks because I like the idea of saving weight. I'm so tempted to get the m720v since we shoot and hunt on a large ranch with the potential for very long shots... The 720v's IR light is about 2/3rds brighter than the current V heads.

Other than that, the mini scout is an awesome light. More than bright enough, very light and still very durable. Where'd you find me so cheap?

EDIT - looks like I was typing when TCBA-Joe posted. Cr123's are 3 volts. The mini scout in a single cr123, 3 volt system and the standard scout and 720v are 6 volt systems.  You are right that you can't run the KM2 on the mini scout, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 2:26:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: osha] [#23]
Ah, oh well, I don't have any NODs yet anyway.

I got a new one on ebay for a 'buy it now' of $247 shipped. There are a few other ones around that range as well.

ETA: I see you have the SR07 switch... is it substantially more useful than the switch the M300 comes with?
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 2:47:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Holy smokes, I just found an epic deal on a pair of KAC sights!!!!!!!11111!!!!!!!!1!!!!!11!

KAC "STYLE" sights.

Link Posted: 10/20/2011 3:09:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By jonconsiglio:

Unfortunate you can't put the KM2, or any IR head, on the mini scout m300... It needs a 6 volt system to run IR. which kind of sucks because I like the idea of saving weight. I'm so tempted to get the m720v since we shoot and hunt on a large ranch with the potential for very long shots... The 720v's IR light is about 2/3rds brighter than the current V heads.

Other than that, the mini scout is an awesome light. More than bright enough, very light and still very durable. Where'd you find me so cheap?

EDIT - looks like I was typing when TCBA-Joe posted. Cr123's are 3 volts. The mini scout in a single cr123, 3 volt system and the standard scout and 720v are 6 volt systems.  You are right that you can't run the KM2 on the mini scout, unfortunately.

Oops. It's AAs that are 1.5v.
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 3:56:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Ah, oh well, I don't have any NODs yet anyway.

I got a new one on ebay for a 'buy it now' of $247 shipped. There are a few other ones around that range as well.

ETA: I see you have the SR07 switch... is it substantially more useful than the switch the M300 comes with?

Well, I'd really like to mod one to fit between the 3 o'clock and 12 o'clock rails. That's where I run and prefer my standard switches. What I like better about the SR07 is the constant on option and the extra pressure it takes to activate the light. It's very hard to accidentally activate the light with the SR07 while it's pretty easy with the standard switch unless it's tucked in somewhere.

I'll link to a Jason Falla blog post where he shows his DBAL and Surefire switch set up.  I prefer not to use the dual switches when running IR and I like the way he runs his switches.

–– I have to pick up my kid, I'll edit this within the hour.
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 4:17:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 4:34:58 PM EDT
[#28]
for you guys with the DBAL-I2 (the civilian version, yes?), am i correct in thinking that the power of it is equal to the PEQ-15's power when it has the blue safety screw installed?
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 5:05:56 PM EDT
[#29]
From what I hear the dbal has less power than the p e q 15 even with the safety screw installed.
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 5:11:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By DocBach:
From what I hear the dbal has less power than the p e q 15 even with the safety screw installed.

bummer
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 5:40:39 PM EDT
[#31]

Quite a bit less... I think the i2 is fine for close range or indoor work, but get some distance behind it and a bright Illuminator it's not the best.
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 5:49:50 PM EDT
[#32]

Quite a bit less... I think the i2 is fine for close range or indoor work, but get some distance behind it and a bright Illuminator it's not the best.

the I2 has a visible laser, yes? how does it fair against other visibles?
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 6:01:06 PM EDT
[#33]

you have the option of green or red. I've only seen green and that was pretty similar to the PEQ 15. I also thought there was an IR Illuminator option, but I've been told there isn't. I want my IR laser to have an Illuminator as well.
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 6:23:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TCBA_Joe] [#34]

you have the option of green or red. I've only seen green and that was pretty similar to the PEQ 15. I also thought there was an IR Illuminator option, but I've been told there isn't. I want my IR laser to have an Illuminator as well.

The Class 3 DBALs have an illuminator. The Class 1s don't. Unfortunately, the laser used to create an IR illuminator is a Class 3 laser, and falls under the same regs as a full power PEQ-15.

The popular problem solver is the SF vampire lights. No really any added weight since you're combining the flashlight and the IR illuminator. It's also been reviewed as perfectly powered for use w/ a Class 1 laser.
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 7:41:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jonconsiglio] [#35]
Originally Posted By TCBA_Joe:

The Class 3 DBALs have an illuminator. The Class 1s don't. Unfortunately, the laser used to create an IR illuminator is a Class 3 laser, and falls under the same regs as a full power PEQ-15.

The popular problem solver is the SF vampire lights. No really any added weight since you're combining the flashlight and the IR illuminator. It's also been reviewed as perfectly powered for use w/ a Class 1 laser.

Yeah, I was referring to the class 1 DBAL without the Illuminator. For me, the perfect set up is an ir laser with Illuminator and a mini scout for white light. I've seen Paul (retreathell) post videos of his PEQ 15 vs class 1 DBAL along with a 600v. The new 720v is about 2/3rds brighter than the 600/620v and will most likely wash out the class 1 ir laser when the 720 is on the high setting.

Hopefully he'll be coming hunting with me and Iraq Ninja at my buddy's ranch so I'll get a chance to run it next to the PEQ 15 and 2.
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 9:25:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By FloridaCreekIndian:

KAC "STYLE" sights.

Sarcasm meter - check yours.

Link Posted: 10/21/2011 8:29:16 AM EDT
[#37]
CHanged out my tango down rail panels to KAC taupe panels, muchbetter feel. Removed VFG as well. As much as I wanted to just put an 18" barrel and scope on this rifle, I can't bring myself to gets of such a perfect setup
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 12:08:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jonconsiglio] [#38]
Originally Posted By ragincajun1919:
CHanged out my tango down rail panels to KAC taupe panels, muchbetter feel. Removed VFG as well. As much as I wanted to just put an 18" barrel and scope on this rifle, I can't bring myself to gets of such a perfect setup

Sanding those KAC panels down and then stippling them make them very grippy and they have an even lower profile. I quite using them when I went to the RIS II's and prefer ladder style covers now, but that's just due to rail profile.

Link Posted: 10/24/2011 3:16:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Got the SF M300A, awesome little light. I think I'm going to sell my E2DL that I use for handheld carry and use this instead, putting it on the rifle when shooting.

Also, I got back the battery compartment from Eotech, and it is new/fixed, so I'm happy. I'll give a report in the future if there's anything wrong with it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 10:19:19 PM EDT
[#40]
So what would you guys think if I put a 16.5" lilja barrel on my block II and added an Aimpoint 3x mag.....a super awesome RECCE rifle? Basically fits the specs...
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 10:25:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Mattyvac:
So what would you guys think if I put a 16.5" lilja barrel on my block II and added an Aimpoint 3x mag.....a super awesome RECCE rifle? Basically fits the specs...

GET OUT
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 10:27:04 PM EDT
[#42]

GET OUT

Good get out or bad get out?
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 10:28:30 PM EDT
[#43]
BAD
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 10:34:29 PM EDT
[#44]

GET OUT

Good get out or bad get out?

Whatever it is, it doesn't belong in this thread.
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 11:37:32 PM EDT
[#45]

That's not very clone-tastic of you now is it
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 12:42:31 AM EDT
[#46]
I think Matty just wants to spend money; sumbitch was inquiring about KAC FF rails in my Mk12 thread and he already HAS a damn Mk12!
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 8:28:28 AM EDT
[#47]
I think Matty just wants to spend money; sumbitch was inquiring about KAC FF rails in my Mk12 thread and he already HAS a damn Mk12!

Originally Posted By DM1975:

That's not very clone-tastic of you now is it

Who said I would post it here when I'm done?

And technically it would be a clone...just of something more mythical.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 8:38:46 AM EDT
[#48]
if you want to spend money, find an SU-230/PVS and put it on your build. You don't need a recce or whatever rifle, your Block II would work it just fine with a better optic than an aimpoint micro.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 8:56:34 AM EDT
[#49]
You know what, I'm gonna go on the other end of the spectrum on this one, since it's not my money -

Go for it - now that I think of it, I don't think I've *ever* seen a recce "clone" (I use clone very loosely in this case) that actually conforms to the supposed "specs" for the damned thing.  I hear them quoted and tossed around all over the place, but I never see one.  I'd be interested to see someone actually use the stated specs for a "clone" of the "recce."

That being said, I think the M4A1 SOPMOD is pretty much a "recce," just an accurized (free floated) M4A1 with a long rail.  The one photo that I've seen that looks like it could be a "recce" appears to be an M4A1 with a 14.5" barrel and KAC Midlength M4 FF RAS.  

Either way - it wouldn't belong in here, we deal with real rifles here, not magical NSWDGCAGSASSFODST6ODACIASOG unicorns.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 10:11:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ragincajun1919] [#50]
if you want to spend money, find an SU-230/PVS and put it on your build. You don't need a recce or whatever rifle, your Block II would work it just fine with a better optic than an aimpoint micro.

I would really like to replace my eotech 553 with the elcan but I doubt I'd get enough out of my eotech magnifier combo to get me enough for the elcan
Page / 913
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top