Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 913
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 3:09:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll just put this right here... was 11 degrees F today, but I still made it out since I had the day off....  Got the Ecos zeroed and dialed in at 100m.  I may have to loose the matech and move it further back though...

Link Posted: 12/27/2017 9:57:18 AM EDT
[#2]
glitch
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 9:59:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Just when I thought I was ready to build. Now that I know 99% are m4 profile, can't use a socom because reasons. Anybody have a new C marked M4 barrel they would like to get rid of?
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 10:36:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 871JZ:

@byou79

Nice. Why the allen head screws in the rail over the factory slotted screws?
View Quote
The factory slotted screws are garbage.  I had some leftover allen screws that fit and I rarely carry a flathead screwdriver with me.  Back to the barrel conversation.  I like my SOCOM barrels.  They are accurate and easy to acquire.  The weight savings with the M4 barrel over the SOCOM is negligible to me.  My rifle is already a fat ass pig, so it's not a concern for me.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 3:11:07 PM EDT
[#5]
What's the deal with Socom barrels?  I thought they were the go to barrel now everyone is saying they aren't!

Which is it then!?
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 4:19:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By LRB45:
What's the deal with Socom barrels?  I thought they were the go to barrel now everyone is saying they aren't!

Which is it then!?
View Quote
I like my socom barrel, besides no one can see it under the rail, BUT........
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 4:19:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Which is it then!?
View Quote
All new M4A1s since a while ago have heavy barrels. However, Crane Upper Receiver Groups are built with the not heavy standard M4/M4A1 barrels (including 10.3" and 14.5").

So if you are SOF and have a newer M4A1 that has had a RAS, RIS II, MK8, etc. added by a unit armorer, it probably has a heavy barrel. If you have an M4A1 Lower Receiver Group with a Crane Upper Receiver Group added to it, it has a standard barrel
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 4:24:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By prskiller:
http://static1.fjcdn.com/comments/He+pulled+a+gearboy+on+us+all+_19c90db3f3e03f01c67d5ac641687ba0.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By prskiller:

Which is it then!?
http://static1.fjcdn.com/comments/He+pulled+a+gearboy+on+us+all+_19c90db3f3e03f01c67d5ac641687ba0.jpg
Hey, I've been trying to point this out for years. Word got spread that all M4A1s have SOCOM barrels and everyone assumed that included all Block II uppers.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 4:33:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stukas87] [#9]
Clone correct then SOCOM barrel
But...
Barrel thickness and longevity I do not think support each other. Barrels erode from inside out.  
One could say a thicker barrel retains more heat and a thinner barrel sheds heat faster. So thinner could be the way to go.
Once a barrel looses its accuracy via erosion its worthless to me.
But then again..
Thicker barrel  means it will go longer under extreme heat before catastrophic failure (warping with bullet launching out the side.)
Reason why SOCOM went with it.. (for high heat full auto fire expectations)
Accuracy:
I have not found SOCOM barrels more accurate at all, over a standard barrel, Just more weight.

If you are going to run suppressed or full auto or both then SOCOM would be the best choice
but for semi-fire only, Id go with a normal one.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 4:40:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Would also add that I haven't noticed a difference in accuracy between my Colt gov pros and Colt SOCOMs. They're all tack drivers. Obviously the SOCOM will remain more stiff from barrel extension to gas block under flex tho. But probably too marginal to matter.

Was definitely disappointed in the accuracy of my BCM SOCOM barrels (plural), though.

I prefer the SOCOM barrel for its heat synching properties. Pezboy prefers the lighter weight profiles for being an overall lighter rifle.

I think they both have their merits. Pick which you like and roll with it. The heat synch thing is a peace of mind thing for me, because as we all here should know, heat is the main killer of barrels. Followed by heat cycles/flame cutting etc
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 4:41:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: veeklog] [#11]
My RIS II FSP has a government profile Colt 14.5" barrel, and it is still clone  correct. Of course I bought the rail back when DD was selling them to the public and bought it in black, but I really could care less. Both were issued, so falls under clone profile.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 9:20:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm honestly about ready to shove a 14.5 mid under the RIS and not say anything
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 9:28:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 9:29:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Jlgil73:
I'll just put this right here... was 11 degrees F today, but I still made it out since I had the day off....  Got the Ecos zeroed and dialed in at 100m.  I may have to loose the matech and move it further back though...

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4735/39297780982_4f2e688642_o.jpg
View Quote
Looking bad ass brother!
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 11:53:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#15]
Someone here was asking about the IUD labels.  Seen square, rectanglar and circular.   Here's a circle one getting replaced with the new rectangle one.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 9:59:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Just to add to this, it also has the production date of "03OCT08" marked on it. Thought I saw someone mention they were after these older rails with the dates marked on them. I've got his contact info if anyone's interested.
View All Quotes
There's an older NON-FSP RIS II with the lightening holes in the bottom rail for sale in the EE right now for $415 if anyone's interested. It's not mine.
Just to add to this, it also has the production date of "03OCT08" marked on it. Thought I saw someone mention they were after these older rails with the dates marked on them. I've got his contact info if anyone's interested.
I have 2 of the older RISII rails with the fatter profile and lightening holes and neither have a date. Made in Savannah Ga. with a flatter finish than my newer RISII.
There have been several versions of the RISII over the years.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 12:12:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Hi all.  I am looking for help, volunteers, etc., who can write about the weapons of the war on terror, like the M4A1 Block 1 and Block 2.

A few friends and I formed a group called SOCOM Weapons Organization, a non-profit club dedicated to education and out of respect for the men and women who served in Afghanistan, Iraq and other places fighting enemies seen and unseen around the World to maintain our freedom and that of our allies.

I have a shell of a Website setup, http://socomweapons.org and am looking for someone to write a page about the Block 1, add some pics, then specs, and how to build a clone, etc.  Then the same for the Block 2, then the Mk18, the Mk11, Mk12, Mk13, M110, SAM-R, SDM-R, 416, 417, M1A SOCOM, and so forth.

I have all the infrastructure taken care of.  I might need help in the actual Website technical end on WordPress, but mostly content.  Also, this should be thought of as not an encyclopedia of all the content, but will have links back to this forum, for example, and other sources where the primary information is contained.  I envision socomweapons.org to be a starting place, with a modest amount of primary information (by lines encouraged, but not required), but with more links to all the available information contained elsewhere.

Also, this will not be a forum for discussions.  We will refer back to ARFcom and other sites for discussion.  This is a curated reference site.

Please email me if you have the time, the passion and the knowledge to help.
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 5:34:57 PM EDT
[#19]
FWIW, I'm dangerously close to popping off my 14.5" M4 profile barrel on my Block 2 and putting a spare SOCOM in it.  The primary reason is the annoying POI shift when I put a can on it (repeatable, and just due to the weight of the can).  If end up pulling it off, I'll let folks know here, as the price would be more than fair.

Pic thread (might be a repeat)...

Link Posted: 12/30/2017 12:35:43 PM EDT
[#20]
As far as short barrels go, my testing and that of others has shown the Colt is hard to beat.  SOCOM is preferred, mug Govt prime is okay too.  BCM has fallen off.  I think those are FN barrels ??  LMT is strong and DD has really improved and impressed lately.  They took gas port size and other feedback, and since Aug, they have produce a very nice 10.3, 14.5 and 16 inch.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 7:46:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By heavygunner8:
Hi. Thank you. And yes, I got a Trijicon MRO Patrol with the 1/3 cowitness cantilever mount for it. I also bought a Geissele SD-3G trigger as well as Vltor A5 Buffer system. The Vltor will have to wait, as no one has them in stock at the moment, I backordered with brownells.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By heavygunner8:

It'll be a nice build. Like you said, not 100% clone correct, but still very nice. Any plans for an optic?
Hi. Thank you. And yes, I got a Trijicon MRO Patrol with the 1/3 cowitness cantilever mount for it. I also bought a Geissele SD-3G trigger as well as Vltor A5 Buffer system. The Vltor will have to wait, as no one has them in stock at the moment, I backordered with brownells.
Nice. You'll love the A5 system. I have some LMT MWS and KAC SR-25 .308 tubes I use with Sprinco green springs and A5 length buffers and they're awesome. You won't notice as much with a carbine gassed barrel, but with midlength guns it's very smooth and flat.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Jlgil73:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4735/39297780982_4f2e688642_o.jpg
View Quote
Sweet looking!

Originally Posted By byou79:

The factory slotted screws are garbage.  I had some leftover allen screws that fit and I rarely carry a flathead screwdriver with me.  Back to the barrel conversation.  I like my SOCOM barrels.  They are accurate and easy to acquire.  The weight savings with the M4 barrel over the SOCOM is negligible to me.  My rifle is already a fat ass pig, so it's not a concern for me.
View Quote
Gotcha. The factory screws do kinda suck, but I keep usimg them since DD sends out free replacements whenever I ask.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 7:50:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By bigjunk1:
I have 2 of the older RISII rails with the fatter profile and lightening holes and neither have a date. Made in Savannah Ga. with a flatter finish than my newer RISII.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bigjunk1:
There's an older NON-FSP RIS II with the lightening holes in the bottom rail for sale in the EE right now for $415 if anyone's interested. It's not mine.
Yup, that's right. A bunch of different ones that @pezboytate was kind enough to educate us all on.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 7:51:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#24]
Not really clone related, but how sweet would a RIS II look with a tan-odized upper? Scored a bunch of these. Tan anodized uppers are almost impossible to find, it seems. Pretty much the same as the FDE anodized rifles Colt released a few years ago. Keyhole forge uppers.

Link Posted: 12/30/2017 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

Correct, for M4A1 14.5" RIS II with FSB both barrel contours are correct.  On NON FSB, those however 99% are Govt profile however.  All spare complete uppers non FSB from Crane use the Govt profile.  Those that have the SOCOM FSB bbls are ones the unit armorers install as those barrels were already on the guns.

M4A1 URG/CQBRs 10.3" using the Mk18 RIS II those all used to be cut down Colt Govt profile from Crane.  We just started getting FN SOCOM 10.3" bbls set up from the factory.  I haven't installed any yet however.

CD
View Quote
Okay, so I broke down and bought a new 14.5 govt contour which is getting shipped off to ADCO for a pin/weld with a SF4P. I'm fairly certain that once the FH is on I can still put the barrel on the upper receiver and install the handguard without any issues since the FH will be perm'd at that point. Right?

Or should I assemble the upper receiver and then send it off?
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 7:57:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#26]
Originally Posted By 5pt56:
Okay, so I broke down and bought a new 14.5 govt contour which is getting shipped off to ADCO for a pin/weld with a SF4P. I'm fairly certain that once the FH is on I can still put the barrel on the upper receiver and install the handguard without any issues since the FH will be perm'd at that point. Right?

View All Quotes

Correct, for M4A1 14.5" RIS II with FSB both barrel contours are correct.  On NON FSB, those however 99% are Govt profile however.  All spare complete uppers non FSB from Crane use the Govt profile.  Those that have the SOCOM FSB bbls are ones the unit armorers install as those barrels were already on the guns.

M4A1 URG/CQBRs 10.3" using the Mk18 RIS II those all used to be cut down Colt Govt profile from Crane.  We just started getting FN SOCOM 10.3" bbls set up from the factory.  I haven't installed any yet however.

CD

Yes, as long as the gas block/FSB is installed before the 4 prong is pinned, you can still assemble the upper.

ETA: Oops, and the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 7:57:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5pt56] [#27]
Not really clone related, but how sweet would a RIS II look with a tan-odized upper? Scored a bunch of these. Tan anodized uppers are almost impossible to find, it seems. Pretty much the same as the FDE anodized rifles Colt released a few years ago. Keyhole forge uppers.

https://s14.postimg.org/671817txd/20171230_184243.jpg

https://s14.postimg.org/a0lhizrdt/20171230_143749.jpg

https://s14.postimg.org/ssxcmlqcx/20171230_143726.jpg
View Quote
Yep, I'm jealous! Lol

Those look great!

Edit: any going on the EE by chance?
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 7:59:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#28]
Yep, I'm jealous! Lol

Those look great!
View All Quotes

https://s14.postimg.org/671817txd/20171230_184243.jpg

https://s14.postimg.org/a0lhizrdt/20171230_143749.jpg

https://s14.postimg.org/ssxcmlqcx/20171230_143726.jpg
Yep, I'm jealous! Lol

Those look great!
@5pt56

There might be some for sale in the EE.

I'll only sell you one if you stop buying up all the good stuff in the EE. I keep clicking on Colt/KAC stuff in the EE and see that you've already bought it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 8:00:18 PM EDT
[#29]

Yes, as long as the gas block/FSB is installed before the 4 prong is pinned, you can still assemble the upper.
View Quote
Great,  thanks for the confirmation!
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 8:01:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#30]
View All Quotes

@5pt56

Better hurry. There's only one left for now. They went fast, but I'll probably post more soon. And see my edit above about my requirement to you.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 8:07:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#31]
This might help your imagination. The lighting in the pic sucks. The upper isn't anywhere near that dark colored in person.

I also scored two new in package PRI Gasbuster charging handles for $19.99 each. Guess the dude didn't know what they were or something. Lol
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 8:08:40 PM EDT
[#32]

@5pt56

Better hurry. There's only one left for now. They went fast, but I'll probably post more soon. And see my edit above about my requirement to you.
View Quote
Hahahahah!!! Deal.

My wife is ready to kill me anyhow.....and I think I'm FINALLY done with gathering all parts for a block 1, 1.5, 2. MK18 MOD 0, mod 1. Mk12 mod 0, mod 1 and mod H.

And did I mention I'm broke now too? Lol
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 8:11:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#33]
Hahahahah!!! Deal.

My wife is ready to kill me anyhow.....and I think I'm FINALLY done with gathering all parts for a block 1, 1.5, 2. MK18 MOD 0, mod 1. Mk12 mod 0, mod 1 and mod H.

View All Quotes

@5pt56

Hahahahah!!! Deal.

If you're serious make sure you claim it in the thread, otherwise it's going to whoever does. If not, no biggie. Someone will snag it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 8:13:06 PM EDT
[#34]

If you're serious make sure you claim it in the thread, otherwise it's going to whoever does. If not, no biggie. Someone will snag it.
View Quote
I got it. Phone glitched so it posted twice. Hahaha
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 8:19:21 PM EDT
[#35]
View All Quotes

Done!
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 8:21:14 PM EDT
[#36]
This might help your imagination. The lighting in the pic sucks. The upper isn't anywhere near that dark colored in person.

https://s14.postimg.org/nllg9n3yp/20171230_190526.jpg

I also scored two new in package PRI Gasbuster charging handles for $19.99 each. Guess the dude didn't know what they were or something. Lol
View Quote
Dude.  Score on the Gasbusters!  
I would like to put that upper on my MK18, and get rid of the damned DD printed on it
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 8:24:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#37]
Originally Posted By Alaska511:
I would like to put that upper on my MK18, and get rid of the damned DD printed on it
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Alaska511:

https://s14.postimg.org/nllg9n3yp/20171230_190526.jpg

@Alaska511

Tell me about it. They went right on the EE because they were 7.62 handles and I don't have a use for them. Lol

If you want an upper, let me know. It would look sweet on a MK18. Those DD logos are hideous!
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 8:42:06 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

CD

Make sure the barrel nut and gas block are on the barrel before it is pinned.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 8:50:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:

Make sure the barrel nut and gas block are on the barrel before it is pinned.
View Quote
Great, thanks!
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 11:31:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#40]
Matt Burkett Predator offset mount just popped up in the EE. I know there's a few guys here that mentioned wanting one. Also a bunch of Elcan Wilcox mounts.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/equipment-exchange/KAC-WILCOX-CLONE-PARTS-lots-of-stuff-check-it-out/25-1725513/
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 11:42:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#41]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:
Would also add that I haven't noticed a difference in accuracy between my Colt gov pros and Colt SOCOMs. They're all tack drivers. Obviously the SOCOM will remain more stiff from barrel extension to gas block under flex tho. But probably too marginal to matter.

Was definitely disappointed in the accuracy of my BCM SOCOM barrels (plural), though.

I prefer the SOCOM barrel for its heat synching properties. Pezboy prefers the lighter weight profiles for being an overall lighter rifle.

I think they both have their merits. Pick which you like and roll with it. The heat synch thing is a peace of mind thing for me, because as we all here should know, heat is the main killer of barrels. Followed by heat cycles/flame cutting etc
View Quote
That's odd. My Colt SOCOM barrels are the most accurate chrome-lined barrels I own, without question. They're known for this. Molon had an accuracy report thread on it, which I'm sure you've all seen.

Originally Posted By aaron580:
I'm honestly about ready to shove a 14.5 mid under the RIS and not say anything
View Quote
Not gonna lie. This has crossed my mind more than once or 100 times.

Someone here was asking about the IUD labels.  Seen square, rectanglar and circular.   Here's a circle one getting replaced with the new rectangle one.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_4651_rz-403629.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_4650_rz-403646.JPG

CD
View Quote
Interesting. That's the first I've seen the newer labels. Thanks for the pics.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 11:45:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By barrelnutz:
Hi all.  I am looking for help, volunteers, etc., who can write about the weapons of the war on terror, like the M4A1 Block 1 and Block 2.

A few friends and I formed a group called SOCOM Weapons Organization, a non-profit club dedicated to education and out of respect for the men and women who served in Afghanistan, Iraq and other places fighting enemies seen and unseen around the World to maintain our freedom and that of our allies.

I have a shell of a Website setup, http://socomweapons.org and am looking for someone to write a page about the Block 1, add some pics, then specs, and how to build a clone, etc.  Then the same for the Block 2, then the Mk18, the Mk11, Mk12, Mk13, M110, SAM-R, SDM-R, 416, 417, M1A SOCOM, and so forth.

I have all the infrastructure taken care of.  I might need help in the actual Website technical end on WordPress, but mostly content.  Also, this should be thought of as not an encyclopedia of all the content, but will have links back to this forum, for example, and other sources where the primary information is contained.  I envision socomweapons.org to be a starting place, with a modest amount of primary information (by lines encouraged, but not required), but with more links to all the available information contained elsewhere.

Also, this will not be a forum for discussions.  We will refer back to ARFcom and other sites for discussion.  This is a curated reference site.

Please email me if you have the time, the passion and the knowledge to help.
View Quote
Very cool. I won't volunteer them, but I know there's a couple guys in this thread with the knowledge base to help you out.

Originally Posted By gatordev:
FWIW, I'm dangerously close to popping off my 14.5" M4 profile barrel on my Block 2 and putting a spare SOCOM in it.  The primary reason is the annoying POI shift when I put a can on it (repeatable, and just due to the weight of the can).  If end up pulling it off, I'll let folks know here, as the price would be more than fair.

Pic thread (might be a repeat)...

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/749/33000954050_2af079523c_b.jpg
View Quote
I say go for it. Swap to the SOCOM barrel.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 11:50:09 PM EDT
[#43]
I think you might've misread my comment brother. I was disappointed in the BCM SOCOM barrels' accuracy. All 3 of my Colt barrels are tack drivers.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 3:06:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#44]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:
I think you might've misread my comment brother. I was disappointed in the BCM SOCOM barrels' accuracy. All 3 of my Colt barrels are tack drivers.
View Quote
Yup. I sure did.

But, yeah, I've heard the BCM SOCOM's weren't all that great as far as accuracy. I'll stick with the Colt's.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 9:24:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Question for the hive.

I picked up a colt 6920 socom with the 16" barrel and was looking to turn this into a block II clone.  I got a DD RIS (fsp) rail and was wondering if I should have the barrel cut down to 14.5 or just leave it at 16"? Will it look funny with 16" coming out of the RIS rail?

Any thoughts are welcome and appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 9:39:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By DoubleTap556:
Question for the hive.

I picked up a colt 6920 socom with the 16" barrel and was looking to turn this into a block II clone.  I got a DD RIS (fsp) rail and was wondering if I should have the barrel cut down to 14.5 or just leave it at 16"? Will it look funny with 16" coming out of the RIS rail?

View Quote
Leave it at 16" or replace the 16" barrel with a 14.5". If you cut it down, it will no longer have the step down at the end of the barrel. If you have the step down added, it will no longer have some of the markings and will have to be refinished.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 10:37:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Question for the hive.

View Quote
Funny thing about clones is that there are exceptions based on ATF/state law on what we can/can't have.  Hence your state may allow you to have an SBR but then you have to pony up another $200 and a long wait.  Cutting a down to 14.5" as stated has its own problems.  A 16" bbl is acceptable as having a SF3P over a SF4P.

CD
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 4:39:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#48]
Funny thing about clones is that there are exceptions based on ATF/state law on what we can/can't have.  Hence your state may allow you to have an SBR but then you have to pony up another $200 and a long wait.  Cutting a down to 14.5" as stated has its own problems.  A 16" bbl is acceptable as having a SF3P over a SF4P.

CD
View All Quotes
Question for the hive.

CD
A 16" barrel is acceptable?

I think a big part of a Block II is having the correct barrel, which includes profile and length. You can only take so much away before it's not a B2 anymore. I would either have ADCO cut it down to 14.5", add the step back in and refinish it, or just do what I would do and go with the better and even more correct option. That is to sell the 16" barrel in favor of a factory 14.5". That way you're doing it 100% kosher and get to keep your barrel markings.

If you ask a fair price you won't have any trouble selling the 16" SOCOM barrel. On the other hand, you will more than likely pay more for a 14.5" SOCOM barrel than you'll get for the 16" version, unless you score a deal on a used one.

To answer the other question of will it look funny with a 16" barreled RIS II upper, IMO, yes. Hate to be the party pooper here, but the 14.5" would look MUCH better. The bright side is that you've already got the correct lower.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Sell the 16" and get a 14.5".
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 4:51:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:
Sell the 16" and get a 14.5".
View Quote
This..and 16” over 14.5 “ in cloning is never acceptable.
Page / 913
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top