Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 21 of 1574)
Page / 1574
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:05:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wayfaerer320:
Have to send my EOtech 553 in for repair - the reticle fades as it nears the edges of the window.

I let it go for a while, but it's been getting on my nerves the last couple of range trips so it's going back to EOtech.

Unfortunately, it's just over 2 years old now, so I don't think this would be covered under the warranty anymore.
View Quote

I sent mine in about 2 months ago. Reticle did the opposite: dim in the center, bright at the edges. Mine is almost 3 years old. It was a free fix and it works perfectly now
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:08:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By Will816:

I sent mine in about 2 months ago. Reticle did the opposite: dim in the center, bright at the edges. Mine is almost 3 years old. It was a free fix and it works perfectly now
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Have to send my EOtech 553 in for repair - the reticle fades as it nears the edges of the window.

I let it go for a while, but it's been getting on my nerves the last couple of range trips so it's going back to EOtech.

Unfortunately, it's just over 2 years old now, so I don't think this would be covered under the warranty anymore.

Whew - I'm glad to hear that.

Hopefully mine will get the same (free) treatment and work correctly again.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:28:40 PM EDT
[#3]

View All Quotes

Mine looks like it had all new glass in it
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:52:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MegaTarsal] [#4]
So I'm having a little trouble with my cqbr cycling properly. It's a cut down 6920 with the pinned block (cut down). It worked fine with my previous 10.5 upper but now it won't lock back all the way on an empty mag. I believe I may be undergassed based on the symptoms and the lower is tried and true with an H buffer. Depending on the mag (i tried a dozen mags, several usgi, pmag, tangodown, and troy and I ranged from failure to fully stay back to ftf due to jams. Ejection pattern is about 12-1 direction. I put a carbine buffer in just now as my next option and its about .75oz less than the H buffer. Think that will work or will I have to open up the gas port? I've checked the usual kickers like lube, the bcg, gas tube, ramps, etc and that is all gtg. I haven't taken it apart to measure the gas port size but I'm hoping to try the standard carbine buffer prior to a permanent change to the gas port. I also tried various ammo with no change. On the gi mags the bolt fave will lock back on the follower or mag lip but not all the way to the catch. On other mags it won't lock back at all on an empty mag. Locks back fine without the upper or with just an empty mag. Think I covered everything.  And btw its cut down to 10.3". Thoughts or advice?????
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:53:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By cschelk2:
So I'm having a little trouble with my cqbr cycling properly. It's a cut down 6920 with the pinned block (cut down). It worked fine with my previous 10.5 upper but now it won't lock back all the way on an empty mag. I believe I may be undergassed based on the symptoms and the lower is tried and true with an H buffer. Depending on the mag (i tried a dozen mags, several usgi, pmag, tangodown, and troy and I ranged from failure to fully stay back to ftf due to jams. Ejection pattern is about 12-1 direction. I put a carbine buffer in just now as my next option and its about .75oz less than the H buffer. Think that will work or will I have to open up the gas port? I've checked the usual kickers like lube, the bcg, gas tube, ramps, etc and that is all gtg. I haven't taken it apart to measure the gas port size but I'm hoping to try the standard carbine buffer prior to a permanent change to the gas port. I also tried various ammo with no change. On the gi mags the bolt fave will lock back on the follower or mag lip but not all the way to the catch. On other mags it won't lock back at all on an empty mag. Locks back fine without the upper or with just an empty mag. Think I covered everything.  And btw its cut down to 10.3". Thoughts or advice?????
View Quote

Was the gas port enlarged when it was cut down?
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:03:38 PM EDT
[#6]

View All Quotes

It was not.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:21:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#7]

It was not.
View All Quotes

It was not.

Then the answer is obvious. Why didn't you have it opened up to at least .070"? That spec is for hot ammo and is the reason that a lot of companies making 10.3-10.5" barrels open it up even further.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:29:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By PFran42:

Easy now, I'm still learning new things every day. I wanted to ask about a different weight buffer before I change the port.

Then the answer is obvious. Why didn't you have it opened up to at least .070"? That spec is for hot ammo and is the reason that a lot of companies making 10.3-10.5" barrels open it up even further.  
View All Quotes

It was not.

Easy now, I'm still learning new things every day. I wanted to ask about a different weight buffer before I change the port.

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:38:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#9]

View Quote

I'm not getting on you. I'm just stating that the answer is obvious. The .070" gas port size is actually on the small end of the scale when used with commercially available ammo. I think DD runs theirs at .075+". I'd send it off to ADCO and have them open it up (larger than .070"). I talked to them the other day and they wouldn't provide me with their exact GP dimensions, but they said that they have been doing this for a long time and have good data. The guy on the phone said they get the 10.3-10.5" barrels to run reliably on almost all commercial ammo without severely over gassing the system.

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:54:53 PM EDT
[#10]

I'm not getting on you. I'm just stating that the answer is obvious. The .070" gas port size is actually on the small end of the scale when used with commercially available ammo. I think DD runs theirs at .075+". I'd send it off to ADCO and have them open it up (larger than .070"). I talked to them the other day and they wouldn't provide me with their exact GP dimensions, but they said that they have been doing this for a long time and have really data. The guy on the phone said they get the 10.3-10.5" barrels to run reliably on almost all commercial ammo without severely over gassing the system.  
View All Quotes

I'm not getting on you. I'm just stating that the answer is obvious. The .070" gas port size is actually on the small end of the scale when used with commercially available ammo. I think DD runs theirs at .075+". I'd send it off to ADCO and have them open it up (larger than .070"). I talked to them the other day and they wouldn't provide me with their exact GP dimensions, but they said that they have been doing this for a long time and have really data. The guy on the phone said they get the 10.3-10.5" barrels to run reliably on almost all commercial ammo without severely over gassing the system.  

Thanks. I'll take her apart and see what it measures and maybe proceed that way. Sounds like changing buffers is only dancing around the obvious problem. I just wanted some opinions.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:55:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:08:33 PM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

ADCO won't tell you what they open a gas port up to?!?!?! Wow, seems weird to do custom work done on a rifle and not tell the customer what is done. guess that leaves them a lot of wiggle room if someone busts out the calipers.

Spec for the GP is .070 and DD barrels(what I have) reportedly have a larger gas port(.078 to .080?) and run everything, anywhere in that range and  you'll be fine. If you have a suppressor or plan on getting one I'd stay closer to the smaller end of the range.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:10:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:28:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#14]
OK Warpig, get ready to post your pic again.... aaaand GO!!!

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:36:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By warpig8654:
<a href="http://s199.photobucket.com/user/force8654/media/DSC_1509_zps81917107.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa270/force8654/DSC_1509_zps81917107.jpg</a>
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:25:48 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

Haha Kinda flooded all of the clone threads all at once huh
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:29:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By bending_rodriguez:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bending_rodriguez:

He should keep on going. His shit is TIGHT!!!

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 10:23:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TinyCrumb] [#18]

Thanks. I'll take her apart and see what it measures and maybe proceed that way. Sounds like changing buffers is only dancing around the obvious problem. I just wanted some opinions.
View All Quotes

As everyone else has already mentioned, when you cut the barrel down you need to open the gas port.

FWIW, 5/64 is a really common drill bit size. If you have a simple cordless drill it will take you literally 10 seconds. Just make sure you stick a dowel down the barrel so you know when you've gone through an don't hit the other side. Very almost-idiot-proof job to do and will give you a .78 gas port.

BTW, people saying DD barrels are .78 or so, I totally disagree. I'm pretty sure they're closer to the .86 mark and I've seen a few official statements from DD reps stating as much around the web. I have a couple DD 10.3 factory barrels and they feel much more open then my .78 DIY colts and my factory Colt. It's ridiculous how over gassed they are and how much unnecessary recoil they have. I'll never buy another factory DD 10.3 barrel again.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:26:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: boneislandphoto] [#19]
I'm going to chime in here and suggest, as other posters have above, to have ADCO open it up beyond the spec of .070.  

I was obsessed with building mine to exact specs and I specifically asked them to open it only to .070 and now I regret that decision because, while I'm 'clone-appropriate, I'm essentially stuck using only XM193 and M855 (the later of which I can't shoot on steel) because only full mil spec hot ammo runs my CQBR reliably. With XM193 and M855 she runs flawlessly but finding enough to keep resupplying is annoying.

Along the same lines, I just bought a cheap ($125 shipped) 7.5" lightweight profile generic barrel on line last week and built it into an upper that, if you can believe this, EATS ANYTHING. She cycles like a German sewing machine and has NEVER had any failures of any kind. Yes, a 7.5' build. Why? The freaking gas port is huge. I didn't measure it but my buddy and I were amazed at how large it was when we were assembling the weapon.

Edit: Oh, and to all the guys above who complimented my Block 1 CQBR (the green one on page 39), thanks guys. I could not have built it without the last thread... the now closed last thread.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 2:08:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By boneislandphoto:
I'm going to chime in here and suggest, as other posters have above, to have ADCO open it up beyond the spec of .070.  

I was obsessed with building mine to exact specs and I specifically asked them to open it only to .070 and now I regret that decision because, while I'm 'clone-appropriate, I'm essentially stuck using only XM193 and M855 (the later of which I can't shoot on steel) because only full mil spec hot ammo runs my CQBR reliably. With XM193 and M855 she runs flawlessly but finding enough to keep resupplying is annoying.

Along the same lines, I just bought a cheap ($125 shipped) 7.5" lightweight profile generic barrel on line last week and built it into an upper that, if you can believe this, EATS ANYTHING. She cycles like a German sewing machine and has NEVER had any failures of any kind. Yes, a 7.5' build. Why? The freaking gas port is huge. I didn't measure it but my buddy and I were amazed at how large it was when we were assembling the weapon.

Edit: Oh, and to all the guys above who complimented my Block 1 CQBR (the green one on page 39), thanks guys. I could not have built it without the last thread... the now closed last thread.
View Quote

Thank you for this. I was debating with myself for a bit weather I should go the 'milspec' route and open it .070 but I'll just stick with .080 as per the DD specs.. it really doesn't make much a difference anyways other than being able to shoot 'light' (not literally) loads. .223 is my preferred training ammo as all ill have to do is re zero with my hotter xm193/855 ammo.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 2:28:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AR-Ryan21] [#21]
TinyCrumb, 10.3" DD barrels are .86? And you have a couple? And unnecessary recoil?

Sorry, but does not sound anything like my experiences.

I currently own two rifles equipped with those barrels, and have used five rifles equipped with them in just this past year alone. Even more if I were to go back.

All have primarily been run with M855, and all have shown not even the slightest sign of being overgassed. And yes, I more than know what to look for.

And a standard spring and H2 buffer is all that's required for optimum results with factory 10.3" DD barrels and whatever ammo you want to feed them.

Were you running lighter buffers perhaps?

As far as recoil, my current two factory DD 10.3" CQBRs both shoot as soft or softer with hot ammo than numerous other 10.3" to 11.5" SBRs from other reputable manufacturers that I both own or have operated.

There's nothing about the 10.3" DD barrel equipped rifles I've shot that has ever had me taking note of their recoil over most other 556 SBRs I've operated.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:21:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Thunder79] [#22]
Does anyone know where I can find a KAC taupe front sight or FDE Gen 3 windowed Pmags right now?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:11:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Thinking about doing a CQBR and have a question for the clone experts.

Should I rebuild my 10.5" LMT upper or start with a new Daniel Defense Mk18 upper?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:24:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By RHR:

Should I rebuild my 10.5" LMT upper or start with a new Daniel Defense Mk18 upper?
View Quote

Personally i wouldn't mess with the LMT upper, do a separate DD upper. You'll be happy with both.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:28:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Thunder79:
Does anyone know where I can find a KAC taupe front sight or FDE Gen 3 windowed Pmags right now?
View Quote

Both Gun Gallery Jacksonville and Weapon Outfitters had the taupe sights a few days ago. You'll have to call Gun Gallery and order by phone. I've made a few orders from Neil there, he's a good guy. Also try Trading Place Pawn, but they charge like $10 more than everyone else. If those options don't work, you'll need to sign up on the notify lists for when they are back in stock and then check your email every five minutes because if you miss the email they will typically be sold out by the time you get there. It's not as bad as it used to be, but they still go fast. I think for now your best bet is Gun Gallery because it's not listed on their website.

FDE gen 3's aren't being sent to distributors yet. Black only so far.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:36:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jarmstrong1029] [#26]
I was hoping I would be able to post a pic ITT by now, but the eform shutdown has seemed to put a halt to all eform approvals...

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By jarmstrong1029:
I was hoping I would be able to post a pic ITT by now, but the eform shutdown has seemed to put a halt to all eform approvals...

http://cdn.gifbay.com/2012/12/thanks_obama-16196.gif

View Quote

EForms are down?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:13:04 PM EDT
[#28]

EForms are down?
View All Quotes

EForms are down?

Eform submission is. The ATF said they will continue to approve forms that are pending and already submitted but they haven't approved one in over a week.

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:30:49 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

Me too
I am so bummed
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:46:12 PM EDT
[#30]

Both Gun Gallery Jacksonville and Weapon Outfitters had the taupe sights a few days ago. You'll have to call Gun Gallery and order by phone. I've made a few orders from Neil there, he's a good guy. Also try Trading Place Pawn, but they charge like $10 more than everyone else. If those options don't work, you'll need to sign up on the notify lists for when they are back in stock and then check your email every five minutes because if you miss the email they will typically be sold out by the time you get there. It's not as bad as it used to be, but they still go fast. I think for now your best bet is Gun Gallery because it's not listed on their website.

View All Quotes

You f#%king rock!!!!!! Unicorn purchased!
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:48:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Others are reporting being directly told by ATF staff that when the system is down, the staff are unable to access it. That means that submittals that are "in progress" are not moving along.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:52:08 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote
I would buy an LMT if my goal was a MK18 Mod 0. If I were going for a Block II build, I would order from Daniel Defense. Here's a hint: Don't order the complete DD MK18 upper receiver group. It will come with white logoing and does not look the part. Use the Build Your Own tool provided on the website and build the MK18 upper from scratch. It may cost a tad bit more but it will look a lot more realistic.

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 1:12:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Does anyone know where I could find a WMX200 hi-IR output, specifically VBL-600-A27?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 2:43:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Does anyone know where I could find a WMX200 hi-IR output, specifically VBL-600-A27?
View Quote

Insight directly.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 2:47:43 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

Depends on how accurate of a clone you want. I'd buy a Colt upper, Colt 10.3 or DD 10.3 barrel & a DD RIS II to be correct. If you want to be close then you can use the LMT parts. Depends on your budget & how long you might want to wait for parts.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 3:24:48 PM EDT
[#36]

Depends on how accurate of a clone you want. I'd buy a Colt upper, Colt 10.3 or DD 10.3 barrel & a DD RIS II to be correct. If you want to be close then you can use the LMT parts. Depends on your budget & how long you might want to wait for parts.
View All Quotes

The wait shouldn't be a problem. I was able to get everything but the light I want in the last 48hrs
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 8:29:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Get Back to MK18 and put the other BS in the SBR forum.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 8:29:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Lawdog-1:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 8:30:46 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Not to stir shit up, but this is a pic AND discussion thread. And they do seem to be discussing the Mk18/CQBR
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 8:33:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Not sure if I dig the ctr. My lmt sopmod won't be here til Thursday.  

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 8:35:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 8:52:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Lil bit of this (yes, that's my bike too )

And some of this

Led to this

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 8:54:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 8:57:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By CountryHam:

Do the whole thing!
View All Quotes

I like the mixed "grab bag" of some items painted and some virgin. I'll probably tear it down and spray just the upper one of these days to make it look like it was a rebuild.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:01:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Don't rattlecan an FDE MK18 RIS II, Squirell.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By AR-Ryan21:
Don't rattlecan an FDE MK18 RIS II, Squirell.
View Quote

Not gonna. That would never happen.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:36:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FloridaMan] [#47]

View Quote

F it. I'm with Turbine. You don't post pics or any meaningful contributions Lawdog. Just this same inappropriate post over and over with a smattering of uninformed questions that typically reek of a total lack of any research on the subject.

Don't want to read the discussion? Then don't. Go start your own "pic only" thread. I'm sure that'll be a big hit

Sorry for the rant everyone. That post started getting under my skin after the 3rd time in the last thread.

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:47:24 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

With as many stupid questions you ask that are irrelevant to this thread, you post that?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:59:49 PM EDT
[#49]
If anyone knows of a new FDE LMT gen 2 SOPMOD stock, please send me an IM.  I've been looking for a new one for several weeks with no luck.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:27:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 1574
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 21 of 1574)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top