User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 267
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 10:43:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By brodband8:
Y'all are blind.  That looks like cerakote and stickers lol.
View Quote

Dunno about the Cerakote (there's a white witness mark on the body that would be difficult to replicate), but they're definitely stickers.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 11:07:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brodband8] [#2]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

Dunno about the Cerakote (there's a white witness mark on the body that would be difficult to replicate), but they're definitely stickers.
View Quote

im just talking about the battery cap.  If you look at the O in nightforce its almost a dead giveaway.  the pointed section of the F going into the O looks way off.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 6:56:55 PM EDT
[#3]

@2Keylows, you nailed it! Finally found a source photo for one marked MIL-SPEC.

Originally Posted By 2Keylows:

Actual .mil variants has the entire reticle tree able to illuminate for use with Clip-on devices, depth rated, "Mil-Spec" marked on the illumination turret. (Black Mil-Spec 1-8 Atacrs)
NF is still pretty strict with separately marking for mil and commercial.
Looks like you got an old ball on your hands. Pretty cool.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/6/2023 8:14:45 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote
Yuup. You'll see Mil-Spec'd Atacrs sprinkled through out the clone threads. It's one of many rabbit holes.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 2Keylows:
Yuup. You'll see Mil-Spec'd Atacrs sprinkled through out the clone threads. It's one of many rabbit holes.
View Quote

Except the ones with those markings are black.  The tan ones have a completely different battery cap and zero markings on that side.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 2:00:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Definitely seems to be a thing.

Link Posted: 12/8/2023 8:36:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Very Interdasting for sure.........................  I've been needing a black ATACR 1-8 I might have to see after Christmas. My FDE definitely does not have Mil Spec on it
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:48:03 AM EDT
[#8]
@tanodized, nice! looks like a few made it out in this configuration. was this a direct purchase from NF or a distributor?

it's a good thing we have so many cerakote and sticker experts here.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 2:33:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Got my overrun M33 from Trex yesterday so tossed it on the URGI.

Link Posted: 12/10/2023 7:53:58 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

Rifle from: SFODA 3122 The Double Deuce!
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 8:28:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: speezly] [#11]
How did I miss those m33?!? Looks great, now I’ve gotta find one!
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 10:36:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By FDEinAZ:
Got my overrun M33 from Trex yesterday so tossed it on the URGI.

https://i.postimg.cc/PJmq158n/IMG_9303.jpg
View Quote
Got lucky and snagged one too.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 9:16:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: USMCSGT0331] [#13]
Wanted to give you guys a heads-up that EuroOptic and 3 other dealer are getting these scopes, EuroOptic will have the most scopes in inventory with 140 of each type. I'm not sure how many of these scope will be made, but the current estimate is 300 of each type, which will be split between the 4 dealers. I have no affiliation with EuroOptic, I'm just letting fellow clone builders and collectors know about this deal. An email should be going out later today, you can call them to order the scopes right now since they haven't been uploaded to their website yet.

The 2 NightForce Mil-Spec scopes are:

1-8x24, SU-294/VPS S-VPS

7-35x56, SU-296/PVS P-VPS

So, if you want a legit NF Mil-Spec 1-8x for your URG-I, now is your chance! The only downside is how much these things cost......
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 10:14:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By USMCSGT0331:
Wanted to give you guys a heads-up that EuroOptic is the exclusive dealer for these scopes, they only have 140 of each type. I have no affiliation with EuroOptic, I'm just letting fellow clone builders and collectors know about this deal. An email should be going out later today, you can call them to order the scopes right now since they haven't been uploaded to their website yet.

The 2 NightForce Mil-Spec scopes are:

1-8x24, SU-294/VPS S-VPS

7-35x56, SU-296/PVS P-VPS

So, if you want a legit NF Mil-Spec 1-8x for your URG-I, now is your chance! The only downside is how much these things cost......
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up! Are they more than a normal ATACR?
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 10:37:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stickyheat] [#15]
It’s a kit which includes the mount for around $4500ish for the 1-8. Any idea what is different about these from the commercial ones?

Price corrected below
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 10:44:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By stickyheat:
It's a kit which includes the mount for around $4300ish for the 1-8. Any idea what is different about these from the commercial ones?
View Quote
It should be markings, reticle and illumination housing.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 10:45:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 10:46:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 10:54:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LsuJon] [#19]
These arnt actual socom optics as confirmed by the description.

that's a hard pass from me.

(edit: EO just has a bad description these are g2g)

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/11/2023 11:00:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By LsuJon:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/316069/IMG_4324_png-3056322.JPG
View Quote

That sucks. I would be extremely pissed if I bought that thinking it’s a SOCOM optic for that price.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 11:02:09 AM EDT
[#21]

That sucks. I would be extremely pissed if I bought that thinking it's a SOCOM optic for that price.
View Quote
Apparently allot of people did.

they are just laser engraved civilian ones it seems.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 11:04:54 AM EDT
[#22]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/316069/IMG_4324_png-3056322.JPG
View Quote

The product description from sportoptics suggests otherwise!

"MIL-SPEC ATACR 1-8x24 S-VPS Features
• Horus TREMOR 8 Reticle, First Focal Plane
• Full mil-spec engravings and features
• Numbered limited edition proof of authenticity
• Perfect for clone builds...this isn't just close to the real thing, it IS the real thing"
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 11:09:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By operator5290:

Horus TREMOR 8 Reticle, First Focal Plane
 Full mil-spec engravings and features
 Numbered limited edition proof of authenticity
 Perfect for clone builds...this isn't just close to the real thing, it IS the real thing"
View Quote
I posted the actual description from the website. It's just clever marketing.

notice how it says it has a dmx reticle? That is not the correct reticle in addition to them saying "nearly identical" and calling them "clones".

Seems like they just re marked civilian optics and put together a package that had the magpul offsets and the cases.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 11:23:32 AM EDT
[#24]

notice how it says it has a dmx reticle? That is not the correct reticle in addition to them saying "nearly identical" and calling them "clones".

Seems like they just re marked civilian optics and put together a package that had the magpul offsets and the cases.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Horus TREMOR 8 Reticle, First Focal Plane
 Full mil-spec engravings and features
 Numbered limited edition proof of authenticity
 Perfect for clone builds...this isn't just close to the real thing, it IS the real thing"

That was my takeaway as well.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 11:26:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stickyheat] [#25]

View All Quotes

There was a description I found on another site about what distinguishes some of their mil spec optics from commercial. Apparently the mil spec ones are built completely different. They are built to survive some pretty nasty environments but are not as serviceable because of how they are made.

Here is what was posted by an NF employee:

This link will take you to the brochure posted on the website which explains a little more about the MIL-SPEC models.
http://nightforceoptics.com/pdf/MilSpecFlyerPDF.pdf

MIL-SPEC is not a different set of features and benefits. It is a construction method that differs from the commercial models. A construction method that allows us to certify the product to several of the standards of MIL-STD 810G for scratch resistance, submersion, and pressure. The semi permanent construction method allows us to exceed the standards required. The riflescope is assembled with a semi resilient two part adhesive. Once assembled, near impossible to disassemble without damage.

We hand select scopes with better optical qualities that are to be made to MIL-SPEC. That does not mean that commercial scopes do not have the same optical quality. It just means that when we select optical components, that we utilize the specs that are closer to the bottom end of our spec rather than the top end. Those same optical components still go in to the commercial product. I think you would be hard pressed to ever see a difference without expensive optical testing equipment.

The MIL-SPEC product was designed for the warfighter and select federal agencies that sometimes deploy to warzones. Designed for the guys that may be doing waterborne insertions/deployments from submarines as well as HALO inserting from high altitude aircraft. They are designed to handle the rapid descents and radical pressure changes that cause other scopes to fog internally. They are designed to withstand pressures at depths down to 100' without a dive bag. Requirements that the commercial shooter does not require or want to pay additional for. We can build about 2.5 commercial model scopes to every one MIL-SPEC model. There are increased costs associated with the MIL-SPEC model. WE choose not to sell MIL-SPEC to the individual as it is a design criteria for a discriminating customer. Any scope we sell to the Military, is MIL-SPEC.

The commercial product is waterproof to 3 meters (10') for about 10 minutes. The MIL-SPEC can withstand 100' for 2+ hours.

Our MIL-SPEC product is also considered a "Defense Article" under the ITAR and regulated for export by the Department of State. Commercial product is considered "Dual Use" and therefore controlled for export by the Department of Commerce and Bureau of Industry and Security.

The bullet hole scope in our catalog was a MIL-SPEC 3.5-15x50 second focal plane model that was utilized on a Marine XM3 Sniper Rifle.

As for the MIL-SPEC models that were released for commercial sale, they were contract overruns for the US Army. The Army had originally ordered them for the Mk13 rifle with Mil-Dots and near the final delivery order, decided to change their reticle selection to the Horus H58. Being that they are MIL-SPEC and FFP, we were not able to change the reticles since the objective cell needs to be reset once the erector is removed for reticle replacement. The objective cell is pretty much permanently bonded in place and removal would cause damage. We made the decision to sell them commercially as a nostalgic and limited availability item.
They have since all been sold and there are a little over 200 floating around.

Any Nightforce product can be assembled to meet the MIL-SPEC requirements. It just so happens that the F1's that were available for that limited time were F1's.

MIL-SPEC scopes do carry a 10 year warranty whereas the commercial product carries a limited lifetime warranty.

Hopefully this answers the questions about differences of the MIL-SPEC compared to the commercial product.

Edited to add:

Nightforce confirmed the mil spec ATACR is built exactly the same as the commercial version. They also carry the same warranty.

Link Posted: 12/11/2023 11:29:45 AM EDT
[#26]

There was a description I found on another site about what distinguishes some of their mil spec optics from commercial. They are built differently. Apparently the mil spec ones are built completely different. They are built to survive some pretty nasty environments but are not as serviceable because of how they are made.
View Quote
This might be were those tan "mil-spec" ones came from. Overrun of the ones made for euro optics.

just spit balling lol
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 11:45:28 AM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

sportoptics says it has the Horus Tremor8 reticle. is that the correct one for the actual SOCOM scopes?
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 11:47:42 AM EDT
[#28]
The product sheet from NF

https://www.sportoptics.com/media/mageplaza/product_attachments/attachment_file/n/i/nightforce_s-vps_milspec_atacr_1-8x24_sell_sheet_1123.pdf

NSN'd with TREMOR8 reticle
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 12:02:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Whelp looks like they are sold out. Probably gonna see them getting flipped for crazy money.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 12:14:05 PM EDT
[#30]

sportoptics says it has the Horus Tremor8 reticle. is that the correct one for the actual SOCOM scopes?
View Quote
Unless the contract changed, the reticle is a caliber blind BDC type reticle. Cant remember the name for it
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 12:47:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMCSGT0331] [#31]
Check out the thread I started on Sniper's Hide about these scopes, one of the guys from EuroOptic responded to questions about the scopes. Apparently, they're as legit as a civilian can get for a NF Mil-Spec scope that's currently in US military service!

Here's what the EuroOptic guy said:

"The reticles are the same as the contract scopes. The 7-35 has a non-illuminated Tremor3. The 1-8 has an illuminated Tremor8.The only other differences that can be noted between these and the real contract scopes are the "-1" addition to the part numbers and the serial number prefix of "USA"."

"These are nearly identical to the S-VPS 1-8x24 and P-VPS 7-35x56 NF has sold under contract to SOCOM. Very limited quantity."

And he posted this photo of the markings:

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/nightforce-mil-spec-atacrs-are-finally-for-sale-su-294-and-su-296.7199073
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 12:50:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Unless the contract changed, the reticle is a caliber blind BDC type reticle. Cant remember the name for it
View All Quotes

Appears the Tremor8 is indeed the correct reticle for the S-VPS.

https://www.highergov.com/contract-opportunity/family-of-night-forc-nightforce2022an-award-h9240322d0009-light-force-9cb03/

Whelp looks like they are sold out. Probably gonna see them getting flipped for crazy money.

Still available as of an hour ago, just yet to be published live on the website. Selling fast though.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Screw it. In for one!
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 12:58:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Additionally, the guy at EuroOptic responded to the people saying that their website is out of stock for the scopes. He says:

"just a preorder...shipping soon!"

I think that EuroOptic gets the scopes tomorrow, they should be in transit from NightForce. If you call them, you can buy both scopes RIGHT NOW! As for everyone else waiting for the website to say in stock, they'll release them for sale on their site when they have the scopes in hand and when they send out a mass email to customers on their mailing list.

So, even though their website says that they're currently out of stock, in reality they just don't currently have them on hand, but you can still call in an order for them today. The scopes are about 99% the same as an actual military NF Mil-Spec version, the only difference is the "-1" marking and the "USA" serial number prefix. Everything else should be the exact same as the scope our military is currently using! If you're a huge clone nerd who has to have the best of the best, then these scopes are for you!

They're priced a lot higher than the normal civilian versions of the scopes because NightForce legally can't sell military contract items to civilians for less than the government purchase price. So, we're paying government pricing but the scopes also come in the complete package as they're shipping to SOCOM! They have the soft case, Accuracy First bubble level, NF Mil-Spec UltraMount (Mil-Spec UltraMounts have sold for as high as $1k on the civilian market in the clone collecting world, so it's a rare/valuable piece itself), all of the correct tools, etc. It's a complete package with everything you need to mount the scope to your rifle.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 1:03:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Ask him if they will at least cover the tax.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 1:08:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By tanodized:

https://i.imgur.com/FNgdw6z.png

https://www.highergov.com/contract-opportunity/family-of-night-forc-nightforce2022an-award-h9240322d0009-light-force-9cb03/

Still available as of an hour ago, just yet to be published live on the website. Selling fast though.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tanodized:

https://i.imgur.com/FNgdw6z.png

Ok that's sick so just a typo on EUs part
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 1:14:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Damn these actually do sound legit. I’ll get one to actually use.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 1:17:45 PM EDT
[#38]
I picked up 1 of each right when their phone lines opened this morning (7am Eastern, 6am Central where I am). Funny thing is even though I called right when they opened up their phone lines, I was still put on hold in a caller queue. There were actually guys that called seconds before me and were buying these new scopes! They might not sell all 140 of each type today, but they will sell out sometime soon! These are actually selling pretty fast, I know a bunch of collector friends who have bought at least 1 of each type of scope already this morning. I've also heard about other dealers buying them from EuroOptic, since it's an EO exclusive deal and no one else can get them from NightForce. So, expect to see them at other dealers, but just know that they bought them from EuroOptic.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#39]
I picked up 1 of each right when their phone lines opened this morning (7am Eastern, 6am Central where I am). Funny thing is even though I called right when they opened up their phone lines, I was still put on hold in a caller queue. There were actually guys that called seconds before me and were buying these new scopes! They might not sell all 140 of each type today, but they will sell out sometime soon! These are actually selling pretty fast, I know a bunch of collector friends who have bought at least 1 of each type of scope already this morning. I've also heard about other dealers buying them from EuroOptic, since it's an EO exclusive deal and no one else can get them from NightForce. So, expect to see them at other dealers, but just know that they bought them from EuroOptic.
View Quote
Doesn't seem to be EO exclusive, hopefully it won't be a one time thing.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/11/2023 1:22:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TigerHawk] [#40]
View Quote

Nightforce posted on IG that 4 companies are getting them including sportoptics, mile high, and midway.

*edit* Beat
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 1:25:36 PM EDT
[#41]
New information for me then, I appreciate the update! The guy who I talked to today at EuroOptic said that they were a EuroOptic only exclusive item, ao apparently he didn't have all the information either. Sorry for posting bunk info, I'm glad that NF confirmed what dealers are getting them!
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 1:34:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Anyone else here pick up these scopes? Now I really wish that I hadn't sold my URG-I upper ro a close friend. I'm planning on putting my 1-8x on my GL/SSC build (original GL/SSC rail, not a chop job). I'm looking forward to seeing guys in this thread post pics of these Mil-Spec scopes on their URG-I builds!
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 1:44:29 PM EDT
[#43]
I want one bad but holy cow that's a lot of coin. No wonder our taxes are so high.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 1:54:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Does anyone have any info on what this Tremor8 reticle actually is, I can’t seem to find it and maybe I just missed it?

Is it doing something way above the dmx that makes it more desirable or is it just what socom wanted?

I want one of these kits but really didn’t need to be dropping that kind of money right now like others have said.

Help is appreciated from better informed dudes!
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 1:57:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stickyheat] [#45]
According to NF customer support, there are 300 of each being made total. Very limited.

They further confirmed two things:

1. These are 100% mil spec optics. Not commercial which have been re badged.

2. The warranty is the same as the commercial counterpart.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 2:45:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: oldbrowndog] [#46]
Attachment Attached File

Tremor 8 reticle above. Honestly, I think I prefer the DMx.

But damn I want one of these. Just working out how the price makes sense for me when I'm into 2 commercial ATACRs for less than this.

Edit: Corrected reticle image per thread on SH. Still sucks vs. DMx
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 2:48:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By oldbrowndog:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/432480/th-1421992324_jpg-3056541.JPG

But damn I want one of these. Just working out how the price makes sense for me when I'm into 2 commercial ATACRs for less than this.
View Quote

Thank you!  Yeah, I was doing the exact same just now.  I've been saving for an ATACR for a bit now and as much as I want this, I'm not sure I see how the Tremor8 is better.  I guess I'll have to think about it for a minute and see if I miss out before I really decide.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 3:24:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By oldbrowndog:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/432480/th-1421992324_jpg-3056541.JPG

View Quote

Any idea what the center dot size is on this?

The FC-DMx is a pretty awesome reticle at all magnification levels.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 3:40:23 PM EDT
[#49]

Any idea what the center dot size is on this?

The FC-DMx is a pretty awesome reticle at all magnification levels.
View Quote

I believe it's 0.2 mils, but not certain. I also believe the contract scopes have a surrounding circle for the center dot, similar to the DMx
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 3:42:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Here's the correct Tremor8 reticle, zoomed in and out:

Page / 267
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top