User Panel

Site Notices
CZ Bren 2 (Page 47 of 103)
Page / 103
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:21:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By xxbrotherhood77:
I have been reading on forums are there any 922r concerns for the Bren 2 if I pin and weld the 14 inch and add an ACR stock? I am noob when it comes to this type of stuff.
View Quote

It's still Title 1 if the barrel + FH OAL >= 16", & the ACR stock is another US part.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:54:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: local501] [#2]
Originally Posted By xxbrotherhood77:
I have been reading on forums are there any 922r concerns for the Bren 2 if I pin and weld the 14 inch and add an ACR stock? I am noob when it comes to this type of stuff.
View Quote

if you pin/weld a flash hider or comp to get the barrel lenght 16" or longer then you dont need to ATF Form 1 it (sbr tax stamp).  since it was imported as a pistol, 922 compliance dosent apply when it took the boat ride over.  ive always been in the camp that 922 dosent apply to the end user...just manufacures and importers.  some believe otherwise.  if your worried about it, your adding a longer fh/comp, stock, and magazine which are probably going to be US made anyhow...so kinda a mute point since thats 3 US parts right there

the stock fh that comes with the bren isnt long enough by itself.  i think its still .5" short.  ive seen/heard others put a couple of AR crush washers behind the original fh to get the 16", but i didnt like the amount of threads left over doing that.  i pinned/welded a sf warcomp onto mine and the barrel is now 16.5" and the warcomp really flattens the recoil.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 11:22:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:

It's still Title 1 if the barrel + FH OAL >= 16", & the ACR stock is another US part.
View Quote

Thank you I appreciate the info.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 11:22:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By local501:

if you pin/weld a flash hider or comp to get the barrel lenght 16" or longer then you dont need to ATF Form 1 it (sbr tax stamp).  since it was imported as a pistol, 922 compliance dosent apply when it took the boat ride over.  ive always been in the camp that 922 dosent apply to the end user...just manufacures and importers.  some believe otherwise.  if your worried about it, your adding a longer fh/comp, stock, and magazine which are probably going to be US made anyhow...so kinda a mute point since thats 3 US parts right there

the stock fh that comes with the bren isnt long enough by itself.  i think its still .5" short.  ive seen/heard others put a couple of AR crush washers behind the original fh to get the 16", but i didnt like the amount of threads left over doing that.  i pinned/welded a sf warcomp onto mine and the barrel is now 16.5" and the warcomp really flattens the recoil.
View Quote

Thank you for the info it is very valuable!
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 5:51:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By HBI:

@tfdarchos Do the scratches around your ejection port look like they could be from the stovepiped cases? The mouth of the case will obviously ride against the inside surface of the receiver just in front of the ejection port, but if you have visible wear/scratches/etc... on the front side of the ejection port that is NOT common (at least in our experience).

That second stovepipe in your video is unique; it looked like your bolt had enough velocity/travel to cycle back and grab another round (left side of magazine maybe) which usually indicates that the gas system is working properly.

You might want to take apart and clean your bolt and carrier really well. Make sure that your ejector and spring are moving freely and not binding or dragging at all. We have noticed that these guns (and CZ's in general) come generously lubricated from the factory. The gas block/key/piston specifically, but again it might be worth looking at your ejector and extractor too.

Last thing could be the magazine/spring/follower? Can you repeat this same stovepiping with other magazines? 762x39 in general is notorious for funky feeding around the banana curve in magazines. It seemed like your feeding issues happened early in the mag and the last 20 rounds or so ran better.
View Quote

I highly doubt the scratches are from the stovepipes, as 95% of them are the classic stovepipe as you see in the video. I have yet to have one where the mouth of the case is seated against the front of the ejection port. The other 5% of the time the spent case is flipped 180 degrees and wedged between the bolt face and chamber. The odd thing is with every time the pistol malfunctions it also partially loads another round as you noted in the video. It happened with the first malfunction as well, if you look very closely you can see a round drop out of the magwell after I clear the spent case.

The video is about a month old, and after that range trip completely stripped the pistol and gave it a thorough cleaning. I did not remove the extractor or ejector, but I did use a round to test them with the bolt out of the carrier. I didn't notice any binding with the ejector which made me assume it was fine. Unfortunately when I went to the range this last sunday the pistol was still showing the same malfunctions. I have also tried both gas settings with the same thing happening.

I have had the same malfunctions with both of the supplied magazines that came with the gun. The malfunctions in the video happen early on in the magazine, but I have had them happen randomly throughout. I unfortunately have not tested any of the magazines that I purchased separately.

I did ship the pistol back to CZ yesterday, and it arrived this morning. I will keep everyone updated as to what they find.

PS, thanks for replying with your input! Greatly appreciated and you guys make some awesome gear!
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 6:54:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AzAgLover] [#6]
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:

View Quote

922 isn't about adding US made parts, it's about replacing foreign parts.

You could have 100 US made parts, if you have more than 10 foreign made you're still in violation.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 12:08:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Sorry to jump in the thread chain but planning to buy a 9" or 11" Bren 2 tomorrow in 7.62 and curious if anyone recommends a certain length for both supers and suppressed ? Mostly looking hard at the 7.62 since ammo is a bit on the cheaper side compared to my 300bo setup.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 1:18:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Tfdarchos:

I highly doubt the scratches are from the stovepipes, as 95% of them are the classic stovepipe as you see in the video. I have yet to have one where the mouth of the case is seated against the front of the ejection port. The other 5% of the time the spent case is flipped 180 degrees and wedged between the bolt face and chamber. The odd thing is with every time the pistol malfunctions it also partially loads another round as you noted in the video. It happened with the first malfunction as well, if you look very closely you can see a round drop out of the magwell after I clear the spent case.

The video is about a month old, and after that range trip completely stripped the pistol and gave it a thorough cleaning. I did not remove the extractor or ejector, but I did use a round to test them with the bolt out of the carrier. I didn't notice any binding with the ejector which made me assume it was fine. Unfortunately when I went to the range this last sunday the pistol was still showing the same malfunctions. I have also tried both gas settings with the same thing happening.

I have had the same malfunctions with both of the supplied magazines that came with the gun. The malfunctions in the video happen early on in the magazine, but I have had them happen randomly throughout. I unfortunately have not tested any of the magazines that I purchased separately.

I did ship the pistol back to CZ yesterday, and it arrived this morning. I will keep everyone updated as to what they find.

PS, thanks for replying with your input! Greatly appreciated and you guys make some awesome gear!
View Quote

On my gun, there is no pattern to the malfunctions.  I have had all manner of stove pipes.  Cases turning 180, cases stuck mouth first between the bolt and the ejection port.  The classic case mouth poking out of the ejection port between the bolt and the breech.  Case ends, primer side out sticking out of the ejection port lol.

There is no pattern to when they occur either.  Fully loaded mags, partially loaded mags, last round in the mag.

I'm willing to bet there is something funky going on with my ejector/extractor as well but I still firmly believe that his gun is SERIOUSLY over gassed.  With everything going on in the country right now work has been busy so I haven't had a chance to get mine out yet.  Keep me updated on what CZ has to say.  I'm super curious how they will handle your issue and what the solution will be.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 2:05:44 AM EDT
[#9]
That sounds extremely overgassed based on my experience of overgassing symptoms.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Stock update from CZ USA:

"They will be available soon we are working up the part numbers now."

If you can't wait, like me, there is one left on the EE right now. I snagged a couple.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/equipment-exchange/CZ-BREN-2-BR-FOLDING-STOCKS-Several-Available-/47-2008233/
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 2:15:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By WarNerve:
Stock update from CZ USA:

"They will be available soon we are working up the part numbers now."

If you can't wait, like me, there is one left on the EE right now. I snagged a couple.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/equipment-exchange/CZ-BREN-2-BR-FOLDING-STOCKS-Several-Available-/47-2008233/
View Quote

Any word on when barrel kits will be available?
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 3:45:05 AM EDT
[#12]
No, but I only inquired about the stocks.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 8:06:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I just posted a BR stock in the EE if anyone is looking for one - my SBR plans are temporarily on hold due to finances so figured someone else might make more use of it in the meantime.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 3:07:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Johnson184] [#14]
Anyone have any recommendations on sites I should keep an eye on for Bren 2 5.56 carbines?

And dumb question... but are they only selling the Bren 2 in black? Was hoping for a FDE
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 5:59:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm hoping for a BR in FDE...but hope dies aborning, I think.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 5:43:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Anyone else have issues with wolf .223 62 gr hp spent cases getting stuck in chamber so hard that you have to use the cleaning rod to push it out? The ejector ripped the side of case off and didnt budge the case out at all. I have a few thousand rounds of silver bear 62 gr softpoints through it without 1 failure but today only brought out wolf. Probably had 12 failures to eject out of 200 i shot. All were stuck hard into chamber
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 7:48:02 PM EDT
[#17]
i ran 2 mags of 55gr wolf no hiccup.  only issue was i didnt turn the gas a notch so it was single shot at first.

the twing sound it makes reminds me of the m60 in taps
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 8:22:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By pc-ops:
i ran 2 mags of 55gr wolf no hiccup.  only issue was i didnt turn the gas a notch so it was single shot at first.

the twing sound it makes reminds me of the m60 in taps
View Quote

Weird how 1 can run it perfect and 1 have so many issues. I better stick to silver bear for my storage practice ammo
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 8:08:02 AM EDT
[#19]
So to confirm I want a

14" 7.62x39 pistol (available)

with

10.5" 5.56 barrel (not available)

.300 BO barrel (not available)

3 position gas (not available)

am I understanding that correctly?
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 3:22:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By 29212:

Weird how 1 can run it perfect and 1 have so many issues. I better stick to silver bear for my storage practice ammo
View Quote

Wolf  and Tula ammo  get stuck in many high end ar15’s as well. Stick to brass and youll have a very reliable weapon. If you use wolf in an emergency shtf situation you better have a pistol on your hip for when a spent case gets stuck in your chamber. My X39 Bren 2 eats wolf and tula like it is brass cased but my Bren 2 223 doesnt like it at all. Same issues you are experiencing. Best to spend a little more for some bulk ammo thats reliable in your weapon
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 4:29:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Has anyone shot the Scar 16 back to back with a Bren 2? How do they compare?
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 6:22:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Slimjim:
View Quote

I have and sold all my scar 16 tifles immediately after. Cz Bren 2 is much better
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 6:56:18 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

The Bren has one of the softest 5.56 recoil impulses i've ever felt.

It is a very soft push, with a very nice bolt speed to the point where it doesnt feel like the carrier is sluggish.  Generally, when rifles arent sharp and they recoil with a push, you can feel the sluggishness in the bolt.  The bren somehow gets away with a push style recoil impulse but with a nice, snappy carrier velocity.  Its a very strange sensation but its SUPER easy and comfortable to shoot.

My 7.62X39 gun is more of a snap than a push whereas my AK's are more of a push than a snap.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 10:33:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Recoil? Hadn't really noticed any.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 11:19:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 29212] [#25]
Originally Posted By gonnasellstuff:

Wolf  and Tula ammo  get stuck in many high end ar15’s as well. Stick to brass and youll have a very reliable weapon. If you use wolf in an emergency shtf situation you better have a pistol on your hip for when a spent case gets stuck in your chamber. My X39 Bren 2 eats wolf and tula like it is brass cased but my Bren 2 223 doesnt like it at all. Same issues you are experiencing. Best to spend a little more for some bulk ammo thats reliable in your weapon
View Quote

My Bren 2 was cut down from 14" to 9" by a gunsmith and the gas ports were drilled larger and it has functioned perfectly until i ran wolf steel case yesterday. 3000 rounds through it without 1 failure so i dont think that the shortening of barrel and resizing ports would cause the issues i had with stuck wolf cases in the chamber. ? I swapped my buddies gas tube from his 8" Bren 2 a few months ago to see how it worked and it wouldnt work in my Bren 2 for some reason. Wouldnt cycle any rounds on standard or adverse setting. Anyone know why that would be the case. My ports were drilled to match his port sizes. Also, the last round bolt hold open never worked with the wolf ammo but always does with every other ammo i used.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 8:00:43 AM EDT
[#26]

My Bren 2 was cut down from 14" to 9" by a gunsmith and the gas ports were drilled larger and it has functioned perfectly until i ran wolf steel case yesterday. 3000 rounds through it without 1 failure so i dont think that the shortening of barrel and resizing ports would cause the issues i had with stuck wolf cases in the chamber. ? I swapped my buddies gas tube from his 8" Bren 2 a few months ago to see how it worked and it wouldnt work in my Bren 2 for some reason. Wouldnt cycle any rounds on standard or adverse setting. Anyone know why that would be the case. My ports were drilled to match his port sizes. Also, the last round bolt hold open never worked with the wolf ammo but always does with every other ammo i used.
View Quote

Bison would probably know whats happening. I seem to remember him saying that the 14” couldnt be cut down without changing the gas block. Sounds to me that it could be under gassed. ????
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 11:24:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mk4dubbin] [#27]
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 11:48:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Oh my... They'll get snatched up here shortly I'm sure.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#29]

Incoming! Good price on the set and I like that handguard! Beats paying $400+on stocks in the E.E. lol
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 12:33:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Trying to figure out everything in the box

Stock, handguard, piston, and....
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 12:34:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By LIONHART:

Incoming! Good price on the set and I like that handguard! Beats paying $400+on stocks in the E.E. lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That is really attractive pricing for what you get. I'm not a buyer but well done CZ.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 12:44:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By sgwlower:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sgwlower:

Per CZ on their FB page:

Includes the stock, handguard, receiver side rails, disconnector and operating rod subassembly. Besides those parts, a US-made magazine and muzzle device would be required.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 12:55:09 PM EDT
[#33]
And the link is down..
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 1:06:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LIONHART] [#34]
And the link is down..
View All Quotes
And the link is down..

Per CZ...

SOLD OUT!

The update from our parts folks is that they sold through the first set. Once these orders are invoiced, we'll be able to get the listing back up so folks can sign up for in-stock notifications when the next set hits.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 1:23:45 PM EDT
[#35]

Per CZ...

SOLD OUT!

View Quote

oh for fuck sake
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 1:24:02 PM EDT
[#36]

How much were they?
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 1:25:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LIONHART] [#37]

How much were they?
View Quote

Only $275.06!

Link Posted: 6/22/2020 1:28:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 29212] [#38]

Bison would probably know whats happening. I seem to remember him saying that the 14” couldnt be cut down without changing the gas block. Sounds to me that it could be under gassed. ????

@BISON Can you help with any info regarding my issues im having with stuck wolf steel cases getting stuck in my chamber of my 556 bren 2?
Thanks for any help you can give!
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 2:37:45 PM EDT
[#39]

Only $275.06!

View Quote

i just want the damn stock.  i bet i could pull the stock out of the kit and sell the remainder for an easy $150.  thats if i had a kit though...i sure more will show up.  Im going to call my LE contact over there and see if he can find me one
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 3:51:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Ordered as soon as I saw their IG post and already have a tracking number. I don’t anticipate movement for a while but still damn fast.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 4:13:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Sigh. I work nights. Been waiting days for it and they put it up at 10am and sell out before noon. Ridiculous.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 4:57:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By ShadowAngel:
Sigh. I work nights. Been waiting days for it and they put it up at 10am and sell out before noon. Ridiculous.
View Quote

Dont sweat it...cz likes to make money...there will be more, i promise
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 7:43:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By ShadowAngel:
View Quote

Same bro.  I was dead to the world when these were put up.

Funny, I checked the CZ website last night too like I always do a few times a week.  Nada.  Sure enough, they put them up today lol.

Super stoked about the fact that they're finally available.  Also, it looks like that box has a cutout for a longer handguard...I wonder if there will be more options. :)

Any way you slice the pie this is all good news.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 8:59:02 PM EDT
[#44]

@BISON Can you help with any info regarding my issues im having with stuck wolf steel cases getting stuck in my chamber of my 556 bren 2?
Thanks for any help you can give!
View Quote

Whew, well maybe haha. First question would be what piston head are you using? When you attempted to use the gas tube/regulator from the 8" gun, did you also use the piston head from that gun for it, or did you try to use your original piston head?

Simply mimicking the gas port sizes from the 8" barrel gun wont really be equivalent when applied to your system components due to a few factors.

1) the gas regulator from your 14" gun has a forward relief port and a smaller internal diameter
2) to correspond with the forward gas relief port and smaller internal diameter of your gas tube/regulator, your piston head is of a smaller diameter and possess a stem which more or less closes off the gas relief port until the piston has moved a certain distance to the rear. Given we know P x A=F; the larger piston head included with the 8inch barrel gun will have a larger surface area for essentially the same amount of pressure to act on than the piston head from your 14inch gun, thereby providing more force in comparison.(Bit of an over simplification, but more or less conveys the point)
3) your dwell is different. which is a more critical value the closer your muzzle gets to your gas port generally speaking.

However without knowing exactly what occured, how the gun was modified, and the condition of all components it would be difficult to say exactly how much the above factors are impacting the function of your gun. If the gunsmith compensated for these differences when adjusting your port sizes it could be just as likely to be a bad lot of ammo or maybe even a damaged/defective internal component causing the issue. If these factors were not compensated for, well then I would suggest you either have it further modified/replace components until it completely replicates a configuration the firearm was designed and tested for or have your gunsmith bust out the text books and calculator and compensate for the variables that werent properly adjusted for.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:24:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By BisonWorld:

Whew, well maybe haha. First question would be what piston head are you using? When you attempted to use the gas tube/regulator from the 8" gun, did you also use the piston head from that gun for it, or did you try to use your original piston head?

Simply mimicking the gas port sizes from the 8" barrel gun wont really be equivalent when applied to your system components due to a few factors.

1) the gas regulator from your 14" gun has a forward relief port and a smaller internal diameter
2) to correspond with the forward gas relief port and smaller internal diameter of your gas tube/regulator, your piston head is of a smaller diameter and possess a stem which more or less closes off the gas relief port until the piston has moved a certain distance to the rear. Given we know P x A=F; the larger piston head included with the 8inch barrel gun will have a larger surface area for essentially the same amount of pressure to act on than the piston head from your 14inch gun, thereby providing more force in comparison.(Bit of an over simplification, but more or less conveys the point)
3) your dwell is different. which is a more critical value the closer your muzzle gets to your gas port generally speaking.

However without knowing exactly what occured, how the gun was modified, and the condition of all components it would be difficult to say exactly how much the above factors are impacting the function of your gun. If the gunsmith compensated for these differences when adjusting your port sizes it could be just as likely to be a bad lot of ammo or maybe even a damaged/defective internal component causing the issue. If these factors were not compensated for, well then I would suggest you either have it further modified/replace components until it completely replicates a configuration the firearm was designed and tested for or have your gunsmith bust out the text books and calculator and compensate for the variables that werent properly adjusted for.
View Quote

I only swapped the gas tube when I tried his 8" gas tube. I didnt swap the piston head. So considering that the gun has run flawlessly with 3000 rounds of silver bear soft points woiuld you say that the ports are probably correct?  What would you suggest I do to make sure its correct? Buy a new gas tube and piston head for an 8" and run that? Cz told me that all the piston heads/parts are exactly the same so I didnt think to swap it out. Thanks for your help!
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 12:24:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BisonWorld] [#46]

I only swapped the gas tube when I tried his 8" gas tube. I didnt swap the piston head. So considering that the gun has run flawlessly with 3000 rounds of silver bear soft points woiuld you say that the ports are probably correct?  What would you suggest I do to make sure its correct? Buy a new gas tube and piston head for an 8" and run that? Cz told me that all the piston heads/parts are exactly the same so I didnt think to swap it out. Thanks for your help!
View Quote

Ya, there is a little bit of nuance involved with the bren 2 gas system overall. As mentioned in some previous posts, there is a total 3 different piston heads, 7 different gas tube/regulators and 2 different op-rods in use between all the currently available models of the bren 2 on the US market. Care should be taken before attempting to mix and match any of these components in a non-standard configuration. Most non-standard combos of these components will lead to a non-functional result or simply cant be assembled together, however some can potentially lead to damage. A 11-14" piston head installed in an 8 inch gas tube/regulator would be one of the non-functional combos (piston head OD is a bit less than gas tube ID and would provide essentially no seal.)

As far as whether ports are correct or not based on the results of silver bear soft points, I honestly couldnt tell you as I have no experience with the ammunition in question and how it compares to recognized standards (m193 for example). Though if it is working to your satisfaction with that particular round and that is what you want to shoot out of it, sounds good to me.

"Correct" really just depends on your objective.

If correct to you means that it operates to the same standard as the factory gun, the easiest way would probably be to swap out the piston head and gas tube/regulator for the components from an 8 inch gun followed by of course chopping the barrel down further until it mimics the 8 inch barrel. Simply swapping the components in alone would likely work from a functional standpoint, but the increased dwell from a 9 vs an 8 inch barrel will keep port pressure higher for a longer period of time thereby likely causing an increase to bolt velocity if all other variables are kept the same. Given the guns are typically a bit over gassed to begin with, this would only be furthering the effects (i.e. it would be more "over gassed" compared to a standard 8 inch gun). If your objective is maximum part lifetime, this is not exactly ideal, but if that isnt really a concern for your purposes (not sure how much you plan to shoot it) then the differences in lifetime may be inconsequential.

Or there are a plethora of other ways to adjust (or destroy) your system if you are willing to take a deep dive into mechanics, but as I believe I've mentioned previously I'm not really one to give out specific/detailed advise on non-standard alterations unless I've thoroughly vetted the results.

But regardless off all that nonsense, if you are unsure how to proceed my best advice would be to:
1)have your gun inspected by a professional familiar with the model for potential defects or damage. (Rough chamber, damaged extractor, etc.)
2)decide whether or not you really care about being able to shoot that particular wolf ammo through your gun.
If you do: ---> 3)
If not: dont worry about it
3)attempt to shoot that particular wolf ammo through an unmodified gun to see if it functions.
If it does: proceed to and decide between 4) and 5)
If it doesn't and function with wolf still matters to you; go to  5)
4) replace components and further shorten barrel to mimic 8" factory gun
5) slowly adjust port size in the smallest increments possible at your own risk with lots of testing. Know that the firearm was not designed to function with a forward relief port regulator and a 9 inch barrel combo in 5.56 and further tailoring adjustments to function with a specific type of ammunition already shown to be finiky in the past may be in the end be a fruitless endeavor or at worst end up reducing reliability with other kinds of ammo.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 3:12:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By BisonWorld:

Ya, there is a little bit of nuance involved with the bren 2 gas system overall. As mentioned in some previous posts, there is a total 3 different piston heads, 7 different gas tube/regulators and 2 different op-rods in use between all the currently available models of the bren 2 on the US market. Care should be taken before attempting to mix and match any of these components in a non-standard configuration. Most non-standard combos of these components will lead to a non-functional result or simply cant be assembled together, however some can potentially lead to damage. A 11-14" piston head installed in an 8 inch gas tube/regulator would be one of the non-functional combos (piston head OD is a bit less than gas tube ID and would provide essentially no seal.)

As far as whether ports are correct or not based on the results of silver bear soft points, I honestly couldnt tell you as I have no experience with the ammunition in question and how it compares to recognized standards (m193 for example). Though if it is working to your satisfaction with that particular round and that is what you want to shoot out of it, sounds good to me.

"Correct" really just depends on your objective.

If correct to you means that it operates to the same standard as the factory gun, the easiest way would probably be to swap out the piston head and gas tube/regulator for the components from an 8 inch gun followed by of course chopping the barrel down further until it mimics the 8 inch barrel. Simply swapping the components in alone would likely work from a functional standpoint, but the increased dwell from a 9 vs an 8 inch barrel will keep port pressure higher for a longer period of time thereby likely causing an increase to bolt velocity if all other variables are kept the same. Given the guns are typically a bit over gassed to begin with, this would only be furthering the effects (i.e. it would be more "over gassed" compared to a standard 8 inch gun). If your objective is maximum part lifetime, this is not exactly ideal, but if that isnt really a concern for your purposes (not sure how much you plan to shoot it) then the differences in lifetime may be inconsequential.

Or there are a plethora of other ways to adjust (or destroy) your system if you are willing to take a deep dive into mechanics, but as I believe I've mentioned previously I'm not really one to give out specific/detailed advise on non-standard alterations unless I've thoroughly vetted the results.

But regardless off all that nonsense, if you are unsure how to proceed my best advice would be to:
1)have your gun inspected by a professional familiar with the model for potential defects or damage. (Rough chamber, damaged extractor, etc.)
2)decide whether or not you really care about being able to shoot that particular wolf ammo through your gun.
If you do: ---> 3)
If not: dont worry about it
3)attempt to shoot that particular wolf ammo through an unmodified gun to see if it functions.
If it does: proceed to and decide between 4) and 5)
If it doesn't and function with wolf still matters to you; go to  5)
4) replace components and further shorten barrel to mimic 8" factory gun
5) slowly adjust port size in the smallest increments possible at your own risk with lots of testing. Know that the firearm was not designed to function with a forward relief port regulator and a 9 inch barrel combo in 5.56 and further tailoring adjustments to function with a specific type of ammunition already shown to be finiky in the past may be in the end be a fruitless endeavor or at worst end up reducing reliability with other kinds of ammo.
View Quote

Would the machinist/gunsmith be able to silver sodder the gas release port closed and have it work the same as an 8" gas tube with the ports being the same size? The only difference in piston head is the extension rod that closes the relief port. He could leave that as is or cut it off?
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 4:52:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Did anyone see that there are several vendors on Gunbroker that have the 2S 7.62x39 11" pistol in stock?  I didn't think CZ was going to put out any more of them.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 8:00:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By gonnasellstuff:

Would the machinist/gunsmith be able to silver sodder the gas release port closed and have it work the same as an 8" gas tube with the ports being the same size? The only difference in piston head is the extension rod that closes the relief port. He could leave that as is or cut it off?
View Quote

Sort of, but not exactly. Remember that in addition to having a forward relief port, his gas tube/regulator has a smaller bore than an 8 inch model. This of course corresponds with a smaller piston head diameter. Smaller diameter = smaller surface area for the gas pressure to work against. All else being equal (in reality it's not exactly equal as there is also the difference in volume of the cylinder and a difference in the distance the gas travels to enter the piston bore, but these are of secondary here from a practical stand point) the pressure can be considered to be equal in his piston cylinder. If pressure is the same, but his possesses a smaller piston diameter and therefore smaller surface area of the piston head, and given P(pressure)xA(area)=F(force) , his piston would be subject to less force compared to the 8 inch gun components. Now this is partially being offset by his barrel being longer (given these functions all occur over time, and an increase in dwell from a longer barrel keeps pressure high for a longer period or well more precisely, it takes a longer time interval for pressure to begin decreasing rapidly) which is likely helping his firearm to function currently. As mentioned before this is more of a simplification of what is occurring than a complete overview. The goal overall if trying to replicate factory reliability standards would be to mimic the displacement/position over time curves and its derivatives for your operating components(piston and carrier would be the most appropriate, but piston alone would be adequate to be honest if you arent adjusting mass properties). This gets a little more complex than I can probably explain in a brief post however.

In the end though, if you just want something to work and dont care about meeting some kind of arbitrary standards, most of this is unnecessary and simply making fine adjustments and frequently testing in between will just as likely get you where you want to be.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 8:37:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Teknys:
Did anyone see that there are several vendors on Gunbroker that have the 2S 7.62x39 11" pistol in stock?  I didn't think CZ was going to put out any more of them.
View Quote

Good - it's an excellent fun gun.
Page / 103
CZ Bren 2 (Page 47 of 103)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top