Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 10:34:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oddly, I usually go with coyote tan or OD plate carriers and belts and then use multicam pouches. So, in true arfcom fashion, get both.
View Quote
Not so odd.  Coyote Tan, or "Khaki" as some vendors call it, is well-suited in conjunction with multicam, as it mimics the overall base color of multicam.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 4:42:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Not so odd.  Coyote Tan, or "Khaki" as some vendors call it, is well-suited in conjunction with multicam, as it mimics the overall base color of multicam.
View Quote
They are 2 completely different colors.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 10:14:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 9:19:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Point taken.  "Coyote Tan" is more "friendly" to Multicam than Khaki, as per pix supplied.  My error.

OTOH, there is some variability in colors of material, so best to see for yourself.

I don't trust any mfr's/vendors description of color until I see it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 12:52:01 AM EDT
[#5]
That color grid was helpful in seeing how the colors stack up against each other. Cool.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 7:09:28 AM EDT
[#6]
For an overt rig, I really don't think it matters, but as most have said, multicam is more common and actually works pretty well in a variety of environments.  I've decided to go with CB, only because I'm going with a slick rig for more covert uses, but I can always throw the chest harness on which is MC if I'm doing more patrolling in a wooded/rural environment.  While not necessarily "concealable" armor, a slick carrier (for me) works well when driving and I can put on a larger jacket and just look a little overweight  Color isn't as important if covered up, but the only issue with "coyote brown" or FDE, is that you'll likely get the "50-shades of FDE" phenomenon if you start mixing pouches from various makers/vendors.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 8:15:00 AM EDT
[#7]
All my stuff is coyote brown. I went with that color years ago because it is in stock more often over MC. This was when MC was just coming out. Now it isn't so hard to find but I have so much money tied up in bags, mag pouches and so on I just kinda stick with Coyote. Though I do have some MC stuff. Really I don't see much of a difference.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 8:17:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Esstac is the same probably. I think Velocity is one of the few that stay on top of production.

Here's the jones rig. Still set-up from a FoF class last week.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/221816/2019-11-01__1_-1145030.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/221816/2019-11-01-1145031.jpg
View Quote
@bcauz3y

Tell me about your Safariland. Your thumb release looks way bigger than mine. Is that a mod you did?
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 8:37:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I usually go with what the prevailing color in my area.  I live in the green/wet side of the state, not the desert side, so it doesn't make as much sense for me to use Coyote/tan/light brown as using something in green/olive drab would.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 10:31:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 10:46:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oddly, I usually go with coyote tan or OD plate carriers and belts and then use multicam pouches. So, in true arfcom fashion, get both.
IMO, coyote blends well with multicam, while OD/ranger green pairs up nicely with multicam tropic.

I wish tropic was more readily available; it's better suited to my AO than most everything else.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 11:27:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yes sir, that's the nub mod, make a world of difference.

linky
View Quote
Cool, just ordered an FDE one for my als.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 3:56:03 PM EDT
[#13]
You have latent fear of people calling you a LARP’er and I offer this advice: fuck em.

Get what blends in beast in your AO, and if you want to get a low vis slickster later get it to match your skin tone.

I went multicam for my PC and do not GAF who laughs at the range or w/e
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 12:48:29 AM EDT
[#14]
This is one (of many) ways to look at it. If you’re in some kind of event which requires you to patrol your property, be it big or small, and it warrants you carrying your AR, then you’re already putting whoever rolls up on you on DEFCON 1. It’s not like the addition of a CB PC is going to make them all relaxed.  Might as well get every advantage.

Another way to look at it is you might have to patrol your property for a problem that isn’t as likely to turn into a huge thing. Or maybe stealth is the order of the day. Then you get a low pro carrier on under a pullover and have the Glock 19 concealed.

So really you should have both and pray you never need either.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:16:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

linky
I find them more important on 1911 holsters. Or I'm to cheap to buy more.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:28:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:46:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

We should hang out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I find them more important on 1911 holsters. Or I'm to cheap to buy more.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/KIMG0662_JPG-1161440.JPG

We should hang out.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 10:40:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

linky
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@bcauz3y

Tell me about your Safariland. Your thumb release looks way bigger than mine. Is that a mod you did?

linky
Thanks for the link! I have two ALS holsters that will be getting this.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 1:22:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Just saw that my AWS order got charged. Should be getting my PC soon.

ETA: Will be getting it on the 29th. It took 4 weeks from the time I places the order to the time I got shipping confirmation. Not too bad, but waiting doesn’t bother me.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 7:42:26 PM EDT
[#20]
@demomouse @harv24

Just got my AWS PC in. I have never had a PC before so I don’t know what is good/bad about it. It definitely feels bad ass, though. Lol.

I do have some observations/questions after putting in the plates and slapping it on:

1) Armor completely changed how it feels to shoulder the rifle. I feel like I want to put the stock onto the PC, as I am not able to bring the stock onto my cheek as I could before. I also definitely need a different grip, as the BCM grip with old angle sucks.

2) Holy moly, I felt constricted when I first put it on. I got a medium (5’9” 184, 43”chest, but could stand to lean out). How much should the cummerbund grab onto the front of the PC?  Check out the to see approximately how much its grabbing on to. I can still pull a bit more.

3) How high should the rear plate be? I’m trying to cinch up the straps to get it to the prominent bone at the base of my neck.

4) Did I already mention how bad ass this thing is??

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#21]
So the tightness was what I was talking about when I said I redid the 550 cord in the cumberbund. (Very simple, pull the whole cumberbund out, pull out the 550 cord holding the two pieces of the cumberbund together, then cut a new piece that’s about 50% longer, and weave it in like a shoelace. Adjust to fit and trim the excess)I had to increase the 550 by about 50%. Afterwards the cummerbund fits fine. I did the other 550cord MOLLE weave to keep it in place better.

Top of your front plate should sit about an inch or two below the V in the top of your sternum. Back plate should match in the back side.

There’s a really weird refusal I’ve seen with em several old timers who started in the 90’s to flat out refuse to use the adjustable stock to adjust length of pull, and insist on shooting with it all the way extended. When wearing armor I have to go one or two notches shorter in order to shoulder the gun well. Also I’m not putting it into my shoulder like I do when I’m shooting at distance. If I’m shooting w armor, I’m shouldering the gun closer to midline, and resting the buttstock more or less in line with the edge of my jawline (about half way on my collarbone)

Glad you’re otherwise enjoying it though!
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So the tightness was what I was talking about when I said I redid the 550 cord in the cumberbund. (Very simple, pull the whole cumberbund out, pull out the 550 cord holding the two pieces together, then cut a new piece that’s about 50% longer, and weave it in like a shoelace. Adjust to fit and trim the excess)I had to increase the 550 by about 50%. Afterwards the cummerbund fits fine. I did the other 550cord MOLLE weave to keep it in place better.

Top of your front plate should sit about an inch or two below the V in the top of your sternum. Back plate should match in the back side.

Glad you’re otherwise enjoying it though!
View Quote
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated, Demo!

I definitely need to redo the 550 cord. As is, I feel like I can barely get the cummerbund  to “bite” on the velcro/loop that is on the front of the PC.

Armor sure does change how I interface with my carbine now. Looking forward to wringing this out at CSAT.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 8:03:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated, Demo!

I definitely need to redo the 550 card. As is, I feel like I can barely get the cummberbund to “bite” on the velcro/loop that is on the front of the PC.

Armor sure does change how I interface with my carbine now. Looking forward to wringing this out at CSAT.
View Quote
Nice. I added some more up top.

Inside the best, shove the plate up as high as it’ll go, and snug it in a the velcro. You don’t want a lot of vertical travel in there

You can learn a lot through dry fire w your kit on. One thing about the a2 style pistol grip is that it was designed for prone shooting and tends to cause a shooter to naturally chicken-winging. The more vertical pistol grips like the BCM gunfighter and the magpul K2 are designed to help with this and make it easier to tuck your firing arm
In to your side
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 8:06:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I redid mine as advised by demoMouse and it fits way better.  I took before pictures of the lacing so I could replace it with 550 cord exactly as that elastic stuff
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 8:10:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the additional info. Yes, the plates are up as high as they can go, per previous threads and your other posts.

Okay, got the cummerbund out.

I’m going to redo the 550 cord as you described in another thread I have saved.

Thanks, Demo, for sharing knowledge. I also want to thank Harv24. You guys know your shit.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 9:02:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So the tightness was what I was talking about when I said I redid the 550 cord in the cumberbund. (Very simple, pull the whole cumberbund out, pull out the 550 cord holding the two pieces of the cumberbund together, then cut a new piece that's about 50% longer, and weave it in like a shoelace. Adjust to fit and trim the excess)I had to increase the 550 by about 50%. Afterwards the cummerbund fits fine. I did the other 550cord MOLLE weave to keep it in place better.

There's a really weird refusal I've seen with em several old timers who started in the 90's to flat out refuse to use the adjustable stock to adjust length of pull, and insist on shooting with it all the way extended. When wearing armor I have to go one or two notches shorter in order to shoulder the gun well. Also I'm not putting it into my shoulder like I do when I'm shooting at distance. If I'm shooting w armor, I'm shouldering the gun closer to midline, and resting the buttstock more or less in line with the edge of my jawline (about half way on my collarbone)

Glad you're otherwise enjoying it though!
View Quote
I've always told people to make the top of the plate sit right underneath the suprasternal notch. Just stick your finger in the notch and bump the top of the plate into your finger.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 9:05:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
@demomouse @harv24

Just got my AWS PC in. I have never had a PC before so I don’t know what is good/bad about it. It definitely feels bad ass, though. Lol.

I do have some observations/questions after putting in the plates and slapping it on:

1) Armor completely changed how it feels to shoulder the rifle. I feel like I want to put the stock onto the PC, as I am not able to bring the stock onto my cheek as I could before. I also definitely need a different grip, as the BCM grip with old angle sucks.

2) Holy moly, I felt constricted when I first put it on. I got a medium (5’9” 184, 43”chest, but could stand to lean out). How much should the cummerbund grab onto the front of the PC?  Check out the to see approximately how much its grabbing on to. I can still pull a bit more.

3) How high should the rear plate be? I’m trying to cinch up the straps to get it to the prominent bone bone at base of neck.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/22392/C8D5CFCF-4404-4643-8EEB-A69B8A6898B4_jpeg-1178129.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/22392/6761B7CA-A652-44BA-A631-C7E37BCD052B_jpeg-1178130.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/22392/A5F7CB34-3D9E-4CA1-A311-F8A15AA8102E_jpeg-1178131.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/22392/18B08FA8-2767-4BF8-A714-F00271DA5E3C_jpeg-1178132.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/22392/37C758B4-6DFB-40D1-8A32-6340B4F43562_jpeg-1178133.JPG
View Quote
Looks good, how did the plates fit?
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 10:03:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@demomouse @harv24

3) How high should the rear plate be? I’m trying to cinch up the straps to get it to the prominent bone bone at base of neck.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/22392/C8D5CFCF-4404-4643-8EEB-A69B8A6898B4_jpeg-1178129.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/22392/6761B7CA-A652-44BA-A631-C7E37BCD052B_jpeg-1178130.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/22392/A5F7CB34-3D9E-4CA1-A311-F8A15AA8102E_jpeg-1178131.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/22392/18B08FA8-2767-4BF8-A714-F00271DA5E3C_jpeg-1178132.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/22392/37C758B4-6DFB-40D1-8A32-6340B4F43562_jpeg-1178133.JPG
Perfect. Plenty of space and the velcro ensures that the place don’t move one bit.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 10:18:58 PM EDT
[#29]
There's a very detailed post on how to position one's armor plates on this site, and in this forum.  I STRONGLY suggest finding it, and reading it.

As to body armor, I think wearing such is a question of mobility versus protection.   I doubt whether most people have considered this aspect.

Body armor has its' advantages in personal protection, but at what cost to personal mobility?   Most body armor is heavy.

The weight of such armor entails a penalty in personal mobility.  All other things being equal, the more weight you tote, the slower you move.  One must train, daily, with such added weight, to overcome its' mass   OR, to take another viewpoint, such additional weight imposes a burden on the user who has not practiced with such added weight frequently.  Practice /training builds body strength.

The US Mil has a casualty-avoidance perspective right now.  So, the mandate of wearing the max amount of body armor to reduce casualties.  However, the added weight of body armor mitigates against mission-fulfillment, As in closing with the enemy and killing them.  Hard to do that, when one is toting far heavier loads.  They run away from you.

Now, I might be wrong, but the most aggressive troops seem to ask for reduced weight in armor.

The wearing of body armor, of whatever type, is a complex subject, and fundamentally mission-driven.

Fundamentally, the user--of whatever level/weight of body armor, MUST be personally trained in using such, and completely comfortable in using such so that their body motions/mobility are not degraded.  This requires WORK/TRAINING, every day, using one's rig.

Not every Armor rig is suitable for all missions. despite what the Mil says.  Common sense should prevail.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 10:26:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 10:30:39 PM EDT
[#31]
The plates are ceramic and weigh 4.49 lbs each. The whole set-up is very light. I was pleasantly surprised.

I forgot that I had the armor write-up bookmarked:

Proper positioning of body armor.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 10:34:12 PM EDT
[#32]
When we were going to have to bug out during Obama it was Multicam all the way..

with the current Boogaloo tempo being what it is, solid colors, that blend in in urban environments are the hot setup.. a plate carrier that matches you basic shirt doesn't stand out like a cammo PC does.

Just My .02
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 10:35:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Too late!
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 11:03:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
When we were going to have to bug out during Obama it was Multicam all the way..

with the current Boogaloo tempo being what it is, solid colors, that blend in in urban environments are the hot setup.. a plate carrier that matches you basic shirt doesn't stand out like a cammo PC does.

Just My .02
View Quote
One that disappears under a light jacket is even better.
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 11:24:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just My .02
Sure... Gotta remain flexible
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 5:22:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I've always told people to make the top of the plate sit right underneath the suprasternal notch. Just stick your finger in the notch and bump the top of the plate into your finger.
View Quote
Up at the top of the sternal notch is an easy landmark for armor manufacturers to give as an initial reference point. It’s very easy for just about anyone to find and will get the plate where it needs to be. The difference it makes Versus 1” below is pretty minimal in terms of coverage. The box you’re protecting is your heart, most of your lungs, pancreas, Aorta, liver and kidneys. Now everything is a trade-off. Dropping the plate slightly will expose more, in particular the branch point of an artery and a vein behind the sternum. I say this is minimal though because 1. It’s a small area comparatively, most of which is still likely behind the plate and 2. if you’re in a gunfight and guy misses 1” high with your plates riding the top of your sternum, you’re still getting a bullet through either a carotid, a jugular, or the cervical spine anyway. Where it makes more difference is getting it to ride so that you can shoulder your gun quickly and steadily every time. The ability to move and fight efficiently should supersede just about everything else. The idea is to use your tactics and marksmanship to win the fight and avoid getting shot in the first place. Your armor is more of a safety net than anything else, and should never hinder fighting.

The armor is going to depend on a lot like torso length, wether you’re wearing a gun belt or not, if you have the right size plates for your frame, how/where you shoulder your rifle, etc. on the flip side to the above info, you don’t want the plate riding so low that you start losing your ability to move comfortably at the waist, or waste a lot of plate protecting your intestines.

Do dry runs w your PC at various heights to figure out what works best to maximize coverage and mobility for your frame, and where you shoulder your gun to achieve fastest most accurate hits on target. For me that means my plate sits about 2 finger widths (1”) down from the notch/collar bone.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 2:29:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Good info, demo.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 1:19:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

There's a very detailed post on how to position one's armor plates on this site, and in this forum.  I STRONGLY suggest finding it, and reading it.

As to body armor, I think wearing such is a question of mobility versus protection.   I doubt whether most people have considered this aspect.

Body armor has its' advantages in personal protection, but at what cost to personal mobility?   Most body armor is heavy.

The weight of such armor entails a penalty in personal mobility.  All other things being equal, the more weight you tote, the slower you move.  One must train, daily, with such added weight, to overcome its' mass   OR, to take another viewpoint, such additional weight imposes a burden on the user who has not practiced with such added weight frequently.  Practice /training builds body strength.

The US Mil has a casualty-avoidance perspective right now.  So, the mandate of wearing the max amount of body armor to reduce casualties.  However, the added weight of body armor mitigates against mission-fulfillment, As in closing with the enemy and killing them.  Hard to do that, when one is toting far heavier loads.  They run away from you.

Now, I might be wrong, but the most aggressive troops seem to ask for reduced weight in armor.

The wearing of body armor, of whatever type, is a complex subject, and fundamentally mission-driven.

Fundamentally, the user--of whatever level/weight of body armor, MUST be personally trained in using such, and completely comfortable in using such so that their body motions/mobility are not degraded.  This requires WORK/TRAINING, every day, using one's rig.

Not every Armor rig is suitable for all missions. despite what the Mil says.  Common sense should prevail.
View Quote
I think daily training with armor is a bit over the top. Not that it would be bad but if you are fit, excercise regularly, and train in armor on a regular basis you should be fine for whatever threat you might find conus. Chasing Taliban in the Afghan mountains? Yeah you need more conditioning than patroling your neighborhood after whatever disaster you're thinking about.

Wearing an interceptor with groin protector and carrying a SAW was pretty effin heavy when you added up all the misc crap but i never felt an insurgent with an AK and 2 mags had any sort of advantage. No way would i drop armor to be lighter.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 4:50:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I think daily training with armor is a bit over the top. Not that it would be bad but if you are fit, excercise regularly, and train in armor on a regular basis you should be fine for whatever threat you might find conus. Chasing Taliban in the Afghan mountains? Yeah you need more conditioning than patroling your neighborhood after whatever disaster you're thinking about.

Wearing an interceptor with groin protector and carrying a SAW was pretty effin heavy when you added up all the misc crap but i never felt an insurgent with an AK and 2 mags had any sort of advantage. No way m would i drop armor to be lighter.
View Quote
With a SAW no. You’re not very mobile with a  17lb (without ammo) SAW to begin with, I dgaf what ft Benning says. With a rifle though, you see a massive performance hit, particularly when chasing someone, going over an obstacle, or detaining someone. Just taking the yoke & collar and dick defender off the IBA or IOTV make a noticeable difference. side plates even more so. Once you stop wearing side plates you realize how parasitic they are. Once you get it down to a plate carrier with no soft armor on the sides, it’s even more noticeable. I’d drop weight in a heartbeat to gain mobility.

Practice to the point of comfort w whatever gun you anticipate using in your vest.
Daily practice though? Probably overkill.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 8:40:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
With a SAW no. You’re not very mobile with a  17lb (without ammo) SAW to begin with, I dgaf what ft Benning says. With a rifle though, you see a massive performance hit, particularly when chasing someone, going over an obstacle, or detaining someone. Just taking the yoke & collar and dick defender off the IBA or IOTV make a noticeable difference. side plates even more so. Once you stop wearing side plates you realize how parasitic they are. Once you get it down to a plate carrier with no soft armor on the sides, it’s even more noticeable. I’d drop weight in a heartbeat to gain mobility.

Practice to the point of comfort w whatever gun you anticipate using in your vest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wearing an interceptor with groin protector and carrying a SAW was pretty effin heavy when you added up all the misc crap but i never felt an insurgent with an AK and 2 mags had any sort of advantage. No way m would i drop armor to be lighter.

Well that's what I didn't want to hear regarding side plates 2 days after I ordered some.  Haha.  Well I guess at the same time my armor isn't meant for Afghanistan type scenarios
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 3:32:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Try em our man. It’s your kit, your preference
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 5:27:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, ive never used side plates.

There's a balance between armor and strength/endurance.
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 11:56:40 AM EDT
[#43]
This thread has veered into eveything.   I vote multicam for such a high profile rig and multicam is probably best for most options unless its undercover only in which case black hides in shadows.

As to armor vs no armor or more armor.  Depends on mission.  In Afghanistan would our enemy benefit from armor? NO! why? Hit, run, blend. If the enemy wore something to ID them like armor they'd have been defeated by 2003. Do we benefit? Im going with overall yes because we are often waiting for contact, assaulting, or calling air support.

Now as to civilian SHTF let's say you own a nice store in a metro area and your SHTF is looters go protect the store. Well you probably gotta be visible to stop the looting so the more armor the better.

If your boogaloo is red dawn and you are hitting and running on an occupying force... well maybe less is more.

I could be full of shit thats my 2 cent

Now what about availability of arid MC?
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 5:42:23 AM EDT
[#44]
IMO your plare carrier should NOT change how you shoot IN ANY WAY! You should NOT put the stock on your plate, ever. You should NOT have any interferance by your shoulder strap.

If you change ANYTHING in how you shoot you have poor carrier design, wrong plate size, bad adjustment, or poor technique. Your descriptions of armor fit are terrifying and you seem to accept it as normal...it is NOT normal. With propper plate and carrier selection nothing at all should change. You should have 95% mobility and dexterity and shooting should NOT change.

Stock length should not change from no armor to armor because it should be EXACTLY the same. You should be able to shoot pistols ISO no problem. You should only change sling length for armor, thats it.

People reading this should not assume this is an acceptable experience for a plate carrier. It is not.

As for rear plate... the multicurve should feel right in a particular spot on your back. Usually a tiny bit lower than the reccomendation photo. The particular shape of your multicurve will keep it comfortable only in a tiny range of height on the back. Dont fight that.  Higher than front though by a couple inches, not the same. You need the cummerbund up high in front vs middle or low on the front plate, this pushes the front down and the cummerbund tends to be more level. You should have been running a BCM Gunfighter grip angle all along. If you cant bring stock to cheek, lean forward,
which you also should have been doing. It should all have been done like this out of armor.  Bladed, chicken winging, etc. should not have been how you were shooting from start.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 11:53:21 AM EDT
[#45]
@DevL

I’ll try to respond to you post later today, time permitting. Thanks for the feedback.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#46]
New grips just came in from Primary Arms. Went with these instead of the BCM Gunfighter grip, as these fill my hand better.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 10:43:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
IMO your plare carrier should NOT change how you shoot IN ANY WAY! You should NOT put the stock on your plate, ever. You should NOT have any interferance by your shoulder strap.

If you change ANYTHING in how you shoot you have poor carrier design, wrong plate size, bad adjustment, or poor technique. Your descriptions of armor fit are terrifying and you seem to accept it as normal...it is NOT normal. With propper plate and carrier selection nothing at all should change. You should have 95% mobility and dexterity and shooting should NOT change.

Stock length should not change from no armor to armor because it should be EXACTLY the same. You should be able to shoot pistols ISO no problem. You should only change sling length for armor, thats it.

People reading this should not assume this is an acceptable experience for a plate carrier. It is not.

As for rear plate... the multicurve should feel right in a particular spot on your back. Usually a tiny bit lower than the reccomendation photo. The particular shape of your multicurve will keep it comfortable only in a tiny range of height on the back. Dont fight that.  Higher than front though by a couple inches, not the same. You need the cummerbund up high in front vs middle or low on the front plate, this pushes the front down and the cummerbund tends to be more level. You should have been running a BCM Gunfighter grip angle all along. If you cant bring stock to cheek, lean forward,
which you also should have been doing. It should all have been done like this out of armor.  Bladed, chicken winging, etc. should not have been how you were shooting from start.
View Quote
I’m not sure I agree. How do you get your strap so your buttstock doesn’t touch it?

OP, I usually only make my stock one adjustment shorter to make up for the minor thickness of the strap.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 9:55:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 11:17:24 AM EDT
[#49]
@DevL @DemoMouse

I’ll try to post a response soon too show you guys what I’m talking about. Been working long hours and just caught a cold. But, here is the quick and dirty: The buttstock is hitting the corner of the right upper edge of the plate, which is making me have to cant the rifle a bit to get a better cheek weld and putting some strain on my wrist. Should I have gone with a small plate? But I doubt that due to my measurements. If anything, I probably just have the PC up to high and need to back off on straps. Ill post more info about my measurements later and add pics. At any rate, the way things are right now is not optimal. If the the right edge had a steeper angle (more of a swimmers cut) I bet there would be no problem.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 2:31:50 AM EDT
[#50]
My plate carrier and belt are OD. My pouches are MC.

My reasoning is OD or coyote are more neutral colors and the MC pouches break it up. If I needed too, I could get a vest or pouches for different environments.

This is from a lowly grunt, the USMC all coyote wasn't bad in the forests of Bridgeport. Best way to hide is to hold still.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top