[#1]
Longer than that.
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 1:37:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
Longer than that.
View Quote

Any idea of the length then?  I would think it could be used with a 14.5 midlength, it would work with an 18" rifle length, maybe even 17.5".
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 11:25:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By cdholmes:

Any idea of the length then?  I would think it could be used with a 14.5 midlength, it would work with an 18" rifle length, maybe even 17.5".
View Quote

14.5 carbine, so a 20" rifle should work
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 2:33:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By CMCctx:

14.5 carbine, so a 20" rifle should work
View Quote

That’s with the M4 can.  I’m talking about with an AEM5, similar to what folks have been doing with a 12.5 and short collar with the AEM5.
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 3:23:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By cdholmes:

That’s with the M4 can.  I’m talking about with an AEM5, similar to what folks have been doing with a 12.5 and short collar with the AEM5.
View Quote

Easy, take the barrel length it needs to be (12.625"?) and add the difference between carbine, midlength, and rifle.

Mid length is 2" longer than carbine and carbine is about 5.375" longer than carbine.

Link Posted: 8/13/2024 12:22:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SchlaffTablett] [#6]
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 2:46:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Posted in the MK12 thread also.
Just went to sight in at 100 yards for my prairie dog loads and the mirage was crazy after a few shots.
It's currently 81 degrees where I'm at.
How are you guys mitigating that?

Link Posted: 8/13/2024 3:07:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 6:58:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By bigbore:

A design Im working on for 10" and 12" AE/OPS cans.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/12678/20240813_150533-3293580.jpg
View Quote

Ohhhh, daddy likey. Is it built to have a length of contained line at the rear designed to cinch down smaller than the OD of the can so it doesn’t work its way forward under recoil?
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Nobody69s:
Posted in the MK12 thread also.
Just went to sight in at 100 yards for my prairie dog loads and the mirage was crazy after a few shots.
It's currently 81 degrees where I'm at.
How are you guys mitigating that?

View Quote

While I like, and will probably buy a thermal sleeve for the Mk 12 can, a decent coat of spray paint has kept mirage at bay for me. This is shooting high round count matches in VA and MD in the summer, where hot, humid, still days are a thing.
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 9:22:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigbore] [#11]
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 11:53:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Pic Thread.
The inside is the rubbery silicon, they are really sticky.  Cinched down on my bolt gun at any rate of fire I would be shooting a bolt gun, it doesn't budge. I had it out last weekend and it worked as I hoped.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/12678/onae30-3293819.jpg

On my MK12, the 10" is long enough that you could cinch it down at the rear if you wanted to.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/12678/on12th-3293824.jpg

The first one/prototype is a bit shorter but also able to cinch down at the rear.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/12678/shorton12th-3293826.jpg

I'm making these because I've see the $50 amazon covers fall apart at the stitching on their first outing.   There is no situation I'll ever be in where any cover is worth $200+ to me.   I'm working with a local industrial taylor because I want covers for each of my suppressors.   In this process I'm hoping to make a couple dozen or so that I can sell for $40-50.  These covers work, but they aren't made by one of the tactical heavy hitters so they will never get the instagram love.

I hope to have a test example for my 3rd model this weekend.  That can is on a 300WM, so if it holds up on that, it's all good.
View Quote

Excellent, I'll take 6 please. That should cover my primaries.
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 12:34:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Pic Thread.
The inside is the rubbery silicon, they are really sticky.  Cinched down on my bolt gun at any rate of fire I would be shooting a bolt gun, it doesn't budge. I had it out last weekend and it worked as I hoped.

On my MK12, the 10" is long enough that you could cinch it down at the rear if you wanted to.

The first one/prototype is a bit shorter but also able to cinch down at the rear.

I'm making these because I've see the $50 amazon covers fall apart at the stitching on their first outing.   There is no situation I'll ever be in where any cover is worth $200+ to me.   I'm working with a local industrial taylor because I want covers for each of my suppressors.   In this process I'm hoping to make a couple dozen or so that I can sell for $40-50.  These covers work, but they aren't made by one of the tactical heavy hitters so they will never get the instagram love.

I hope to have a test example for my 3rd model this weekend.  That can is on a 300WM, so if it holds up on that, it's all good.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

Ohhhh, daddy likey. Is it built to have a length of contained line at the rear designed to cinch down smaller than the OD of the can so it doesn’t work its way forward under recoil?

Pic Thread.

I'd be in for at least two.
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 4:07:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 5:27:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Pic Thread.

View Quote

Looks perfect!
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 12:20:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Picked up my AEM5 today. On my BA 18’ SPR barrel I’m getting 6.5 turns and on my CLE 15.1 im getting 8.5 turns, wanted to check here if those were acceptable ranges before i put rounds though them.
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 1:03:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ATG08:
Picked up my AEM5 today. On my BA 18' SPR barrel I'm getting 6.5 turns and on my CLE 15.1 im getting 8.5 turns, wanted to check here if those were acceptable ranges before i put rounds though them.
View Quote
Yes to both
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Question: I have a 16" BA barrel with the MK12 Mod H profile; what collar size do I need? MK12 MOD 1 SPR Collar? MK12 Mod 0 SPR Collar? or the Mk12 Mod 1-B SPR Collar?

(https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/16-223-wylde-tactical-government-stainless-steel-midlength-ar-15-barrel-w-ops-12-premium-series.html)
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quick question. Anybody know what the ideal carbine-length gas port size would be for a 12" barrel with an AEM3/Ops 15th model, full mass carrier, and carbine buffer?
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 1:26:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By SpyHawk:
Quick question. Anybody know what the ideal carbine-length gas port size would be for a 12" barrel with an AEM3/Ops 15th model, full mass carrier, and carbine buffer?
View Quote

.063 if you want it to run unsuppressed too.
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 5:17:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Hawkeye66:
Question: I have a 16" BA barrel with the MK12 Mod H profile; what collar size do I need? MK12 MOD 1 SPR Collar? MK12 Mod 0 SPR Collar? or the Mk12 Mod 1-B SPR Collar?

(https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/16-223-wylde-tactical-government-stainless-steel-midlength-ar-15-barrel-w-ops-12-premium-series.html)
View Quote

@Hawkeye66

Pretty sure you want the long collar for the Mod H build. That's what I used on a recent Mod H build but the barrel was from Bison Armory, I also have the same BA barrel as you, I've just not built out the upper as of yet but plan on using the long collar as well on that barrel.

I think the short collar (Mod 0) is short to allow fitment with the front sight gas block whereas the long Mod 1 collar doesn't have that issue due to the low profile gas block.

Maybe someone else will chime in...
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 7:35:28 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SpyHawk:

Roger that. Thanks, brother.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 11:27:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheTacticalCoyote] [#23]
@k31user Hey Mr Allen, I have a question for you. I know you weren’t with OPS Inc yet in ‘93, but hoping you could help clarify a question about barrel profiles used with the pre 3rd Model OPS Inc suppressors used back then. Were the barrels used M4/government profile or pencil profile? There is some division amongst us clone nerds that I would like to put to rest.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 11:50:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Most of the stuff I saw from back then was skinny barrel.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 12:40:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By k31user:
Most of the stuff I saw from back then was skinny barrel.
View Quote

Was the shoulder of the muzzle threads turned down to slide the collar over or was a different style of collar used?
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 8:59:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Aluminum 2 piece collar with no sleeve.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 10:27:51 AM EDT
[#27]
M110'ish at home.

I hope she runs. It's a chopped 6.5C (approx 18.5") rifle length +2 gas. AEM5-30 with Allegheny tapered block.

Link Posted: 8/30/2024 7:38:28 PM EDT
[#28]
I’m slow, but my “correct” M24 is getting profiled this month for my M24 silencer, so I should have a correct M24A2 (did it really happen???).

I’ll update at the end of the month so you guys can help me continue to refine it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 10:22:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 12:38:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigbore] [#30]
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 1:06:04 PM EDT
[#31]
The last one.  I'll be submitting the form 4 to me this afternoon.  Ron, if you ever move to a free state you can have it back. It's a shame you cant have one as a memento.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/12678/20240904_123220-3313062.jpg
View Quote

A moment of silence...
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 4:56:52 PM EDT
[#32]
The last one.  I'll be submitting the form 4 to me this afternoon.  Ron, if you ever move to a free state you can have it back. It's a shame you cant have one as a memento.
View Quote

Thanks Steve. I almost never shoot any more so I won't be asking for it back.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:03:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Long time lurker (just joined and first post) - with a long story short - Have a Colt Socom 2013 version 16” barrel and have decided on an AE M4 suppressor. I realize they are short on supply and getting one in the color I want is beyond a long shot - Original Gunkote. Right now I’m considering 2 options:

(1) Have my barrel cut, threaded, profiled and fitted and pray I can find an M4 can in Gunkote, or stick with all black

(2) Roll the dice with Charlies and buy their Gordon Delta Carbine Barrel and M4 Suppressor Matched Set - 14.5" Clone Correct - Which when I asked if this was in stock / buildable and color correct, I got the reply “Yes, and Yes.  We have a long history with Allen Engineering and have this built out to perfection, and Ron provided Alex with the last few drops of the original Gunkhole, and it was applied at the factory in Utah, just for us.”

Setting overall price difference aside, what are you guy’s opinions? I know what my instincts are telling me even though I really WANT that color.

Thanks in advance fellas,
Ron

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:11:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By CarolinaCowboy:
Long time lurker (just joined and first post) - with a long story short - Have a Colt Socom 2013 version 16” barrel and have decided on an AE M4 suppressor. I realize they are short on supply and getting one in the color I want is beyond a long shot - Original Gunkote. Right now I’m considering 2 options:

(1) Have my barrel cut, threaded, profiled and fitted and pray I can find an M4 can in Gunkote, or stick with all black

(2) Roll the dice with Charlies and buy their Gordon Delta Carbine Barrel and M4 Suppressor Matched Set - 14.5" Clone Correct - Which when I asked if this was in stock / buildable and color correct, I got the reply “Yes, and Yes.  We have a long history with Allen Engineering and have this built out to perfection, and Ron provided Alex with the last few drops of the original Gunkhole, and it was applied at the factory in Utah, just for us.”

Setting overall price difference aside, what are you guy’s opinions? I know what my instincts are telling me even though I really WANT that color.

Ron

View Quote

I know the new AE guys were working on matching that old gunkote color.  It’s probably close.

Would Charlie’s have one of the cans that Ron did in the original GK?  Maybe.  I’d need to see pics of the actual can I was getting before I trusted them though.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:14:42 PM EDT
[#35]

Ron

View Quote

Charlies is 200% lying to you.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:28:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#36]
Originally Posted By Subpar:

I know the new AE guys were working on matching that old gunkote color.  It’s probably close.

Would Charlie’s have one of the cans that Ron did in the original GK?  Maybe.  I’d need to see pics of the actual can I was getting before I trusted them though.
View Quote

Yup, I’d need a proof of life pic from Charlie’s with the parts and a newspaper with the date showing before I gave them my money.

Originally Posted By Eyekahn:

Charlies is 200% lying to you.
View Quote

Brother I-Can is probably right, but I kinda want to see how they reply to your response to ‘yes and yes…send pics then’
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 9:06:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MTNShewter] [#37]

Pic Thread.

View Quote

I'd love one of those!  I bought my AEM5 from you so I wonder if that helps my case
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 9:16:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 9:26:21 AM EDT
[#39]
That was quick!  

Link Posted: 9/7/2024 5:06:29 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

Whoa... Does this mean Ron is out of this game completely?

Spooky
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 7:31:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Spooky130:

Spooky
View All Quotes

Spooky

I read it that way…and was a little sad. I’m selfishly happy I was able to get my Gordon can built by and upper worked on by the man himself.

Ron, thank you for the support you’ve given the USMIL and a bunch of dumb clone schlubs.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 7:42:36 PM EDT
[#42]

I read it that way…and was a little sad. I’m selfishly happy I was able to get my Gordon can built by and upper worked on by the man himself.

Ron, thank you for the support you’ve given the USMIL and a bunch of dumb clone schlubs.
View All Quotes

Spooky

That's the way I was reading it too - and I didn't want it to be that way.  I know he had talked about backing out of the business slowly and with what the "new" Allen Engineering is doing I can see it as a viable time to do it.  

I've seen him here engage with customers and be nothing but supportive of the brand and the legacy of the design.  I hope he still comes around to answer all our stupid questions!

Spooky
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 9:15:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#43]
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:10:07 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

I will second this.

Ron is a treasure to this industry. I only purchased an aem5 and a Gordy Boi from him, but each time he was pleasant to deal with. When I called him and purchased the Gordon can, I asked him about what I needed to do to contour the barrel. He said send it to me, no problem. Even though I wasn't a big business customer by any stretch, he sure treated me like one.

For everything, thank you Ron!
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 5:07:26 PM EDT
[#45]
So wrote back and actually got two answers, during the wkd no less. This was the reply “Well, not sure about horror stories.  We have a great many satisfied customers, and each customer can leave a review.  You can read those.  I think sometimes people are looking for that one special part that comes in twice a year, and we sell out quickly, and maybe they are disappointed.  Unlike a great many stores, we tend to carry the hard to find, and sometimes we do not have enough.

I am not really sure what the reservation is.  We carry more Allen cans than probably anyone else.  Each of the barrel - suppressor items is built to order, and has some shop time to get the right collar on the right barrel and align with the correct suppressor.  Are you telling me that someone is telling you that we do not have the Allen suppressors that we sell?

I am attaching a pic of that part of our vault with Allen cans.  Maybe this will help?  If you are still nervous, I don't know what to say.  I don't want you as a customer if you are skeptical.  That only leads to trouble down the road.  We have just tens of thousands of happy customers.  I want more of those, one at a time.  I want to help someone built or buy their dream tactical military correct rifle.  I want a customer who will enjoy what we build and send us a pic so we can share with others.”

Would like to attach the pic he sent me, but ignorant as to how from my iPad

Ron
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 5:24:35 PM EDT
[#46]
So wrote back and actually got two answers, during the wkd no less. This was the reply "Well, not sure about horror stories.  We have a great many satisfied customers, and each customer can leave a review.  You can read those.  I think sometimes people are looking for that one special part that comes in twice a year, and we sell out quickly, and maybe they are disappointed.  Unlike a great many stores, we tend to carry the hard to find, and sometimes we do not have enough.

I am not really sure what the reservation is.  We carry more Allen cans than probably anyone else.  Each of the barrel - suppressor items is built to order, and has some shop time to get the right collar on the right barrel and align with the correct suppressor.  Are you telling me that someone is telling you that we do not have the Allen suppressors that we sell?

I am attaching a pic of that part of our vault with Allen cans.  Maybe this will help?  If you are still nervous, I don't know what to say.  I don't want you as a customer if you are skeptical.  That only leads to trouble down the road.  We have just tens of thousands of happy customers.  I want more of those, one at a time.  I want to help someone built or buy their dream tactical military correct rifle.  I want a customer who will enjoy what we build and send us a pic so we can share with others."

Would like to attach the pic he sent me, but ignorant as to how from my iPad

Ron
View Quote
Charlie's is usually pretty good about finding cool and rare stuff, but they're often overpriced. It's not too uncommon for them to upcharge 20-30% for some items, or even more. Sometime's they'll have stuff for under MSRP, but that's usually stuff that they haven't managed to sell in a while and are just trying to clear inventory space. I personally have used them several times for rare A.R.M.S. parts, as they're one of the few distributors that actually have contracts with them and place orders for items. They also get first dibs on anything they find lying around in the shop, the last few drops of the #41 gas block were old stock from 10+ years ago and they got some Crane contract overrun FDE TRRs last year. It's still overpriced though, they had almost 50% markup on the gas blocks and 100% on the TRRs. Honestly, it's a 50/50 whether you'll get a good deal or a shitty deal from them.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 5:53:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By thatARMSguy:
Charlie's is usually pretty good about finding cool and rare stuff, but they're often overpriced. It's not too uncommon for them to upcharge 20-30% for some items, or even more. Sometime's they'll have stuff for under MSRP, but that's usually stuff that they haven't managed to sell in a while and are just trying to clear inventory space. I personally have used them several times for rare A.R.M.S. parts, as they're one of the few distributors that actually have contracts with them and place orders for items. They also get first dibs on anything they find lying around in the shop, the last few drops of the #41 gas block were old stock from 10+ years ago and they got some Crane contract overrun FDE TRRs last year. It's still overpriced though, they had almost 50% markup on the gas blocks and 100% on the TRRs. Honestly, it's a 50/50 whether you'll get a good deal or a shitty deal from them.
View Quote

Would like to attach the pic John sent to get some feedback - How can I do that as an attachment from my iPad?

Ron
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 6:01:09 PM EDT
[#48]

Would like to attach the pic John sent to get some feedback - How can I do that as an attachment from my iPad?

Ron
View Quote

You can upload to https://postimages.org and copy the hotlink for forums option.
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 6:40:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarolinaCowboy] [#49]
Originally Posted By MK3110:

You can upload to https://postimages.org and copy the hotlink for forums option.
View Quote

https://i.postimg.cc/Wz1wPXMr/IMG-0132.jpg
Link Posted: 9/8/2024 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#50]

https://i.postimg.cc/Wz1wPXMr/IMG-0132.jpg
View Quote

Typical from CCC.

Ask for a photo of a certain item to ensure it’s what you want, get a picture of boxes.
Page / 108
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top