Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

When I first started carrying, it was either OWB crossdraw or shoulder.  Either could be worn under an open jacket and easily reached, whether standing or sitting.  Either could be gotten at with either hand.

Of course, we weren't all tier 1 tactical toms back then.  It was about having a pistol ready and accessible.  I quit the crossdraw because it stuck out too far (revolver), and would 'flash' if the jacket swung too far open.

These days, I'm much more tactical, and wear an expensive IWB composite at 4 o'clock.  Where that shitty crossdraw forced me to reach across my gut with only an arm movement, even sitting or driving, my new cool guy rig allows me to torque my whole upper body around dramatically in order to get a good firing grip.  Unless I'm wearing a jacket and sitting or driving, in which case, I either take it out or forget about hauling it when needed.

Bullshit aside, there are valid reasons for crossdraw or it wouldn't have lasted 100+ years as a carry position.  We tend to forget in these uber-tacticool days that people were carrying and killing with old school guns and holsters for a very long time before our modern methods retconned them all into being useless.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you are sitting all day and need to draw while seated would be one reason.

This. Precious few holsters seem designed with the notion that the wearer might sit down at some point. Crossdraw works, but it doesn't conceal particularly well from what I've seen.

When I first started carrying, it was either OWB crossdraw or shoulder.  Either could be worn under an open jacket and easily reached, whether standing or sitting.  Either could be gotten at with either hand.

Of course, we weren't all tier 1 tactical toms back then.  It was about having a pistol ready and accessible.  I quit the crossdraw because it stuck out too far (revolver), and would 'flash' if the jacket swung too far open.

These days, I'm much more tactical, and wear an expensive IWB composite at 4 o'clock.  Where that shitty crossdraw forced me to reach across my gut with only an arm movement, even sitting or driving, my new cool guy rig allows me to torque my whole upper body around dramatically in order to get a good firing grip.  Unless I'm wearing a jacket and sitting or driving, in which case, I either take it out or forget about hauling it when needed.

Bullshit aside, there are valid reasons for crossdraw or it wouldn't have lasted 100+ years as a carry position.  We tend to forget in these uber-tacticool days that people were carrying and killing with old school guns and holsters for a very long time before our modern methods retconned them all into being useless.

I'm guessing there are several reasons but they still work
cops have wayyyyyy more stuff to hang off their belt and it was in the way
With a semi you carry your mags there or close and it could interfere

I have shot out of them and have no problems. One of Galco's more popular woods holsters the DAO can be worn strong side or cross draw. It's a great holster.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 8:27:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Stopped to get a money order to pay my $169 speeding ticket and while at the desk I seen a county cop carrying cross draw.
She had the pistol on her left side orientated to draw with her right hand. I just couldn't think of a good scenario for this carry.

Y tho?
View Quote

It's faster sitting down. If she is always at the desk it would be just as beneficial as if she was in her car.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 8:44:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You arrest a guy and your car has no cage. You put him in the front passenger seat. That way you can protect your gun, and he can't grab it. That's how it used to be done.

Sitting down, shoulder injury, lots of reasons.
View Quote

Bingo .... bad shoulder.

Also cross draw is very efficient and easy
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 9:06:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm guessing there are several reasons but they still work
cops have wayyyyyy more stuff to hang off their belt and it was in the way
With a semi you carry your mags there or close and it could interfere
View Quote

I know this isn't practical in many/most situations, but I really like the chest mounted holsters usually seen on military rigs.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 9:46:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:03:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Bingo
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stopped to get a money order to pay my $169 speeding ticket and while at the desk I seen a county cop carrying cross draw.
She had the pistol on her left side orientated to draw with her right hand. I just couldn't think of a good scenario for this carry.

Y tho?

Sitting in a car?

Bingo

Galco used to make a holster specifically for car use.
it was a sort of crossdraw that secured to the lap belt.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:13:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Confuse the enemy.

"Wait, what the . . . . ?"

Bang!
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:15:02 PM EDT
[#8]
SOP says I have to carry my taser opposite my lethal, so I run corssdraw instead of weakhand holster
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:15:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Because it looks bad ass.

See, when you shoot someone, you gotta pull it out all dramatic like.  That's why the pros never carry a loaded round (Israeli Mossad FYI), so you can rack the slide with lots of noise.

That tells the dude you're about to waste that you mean business and that guy really fucked up.  

Don't listen to these panty waist choads that are all "Condition 1" (Whatever that means).  Condition 1 is when you're ready to waste a fool no questions asked.
View Quote

Preach it!
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:20:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Cross draw facilitates a more natural draw to properly aim and fire

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:22:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I carry cross draw IWB. Bring it.
View Quote

At  7 o'clock?
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:52:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Because that's how Doc rolled.....I'm your huckleberry.

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:59:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:04:34 PM EDT
[#14]
pretty much the best way to draw from a seated position. especially with a seatbelt in the way
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:13:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I like cross draw OWB
For me it's more natural  and I can hide a bigger gun

Besides, Homer likes it too
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:22:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
And Chuck Norris carried crossdraw in earlier "Walker, Texas Ranger" shows.  And in the movie where he rose from the dead in his buried truck.

Paladin
View Quote

That movie is Lone Wolf McQuade

Learn it
Know it
Love it
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:31:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Comfort. Seating. Driving. Easy of drawing. Security(harder for someone to snatch it away)

I dont think they're dangerous holsters unlike most people. The danger comes from the user and you can draw a pistol crossdraw without sweeping someone.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:42:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Bought the wrong holster, and too cheap to buy a new one?
View Quote

Thinking outside the box I see.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:48:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Could have been taser. They are carried like that so it takes a way different motion to draw them compared to a side arm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Y tho?

Could have been taser. They are carried like that so it takes a way different motion to draw them compared to a side arm.

I noticed this watching AK state troopers.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 12:01:30 AM EDT
[#20]
There is, or at least was as of last year, guy on my department who carries a .38 stainless steel wheel gun in a crossdraw rig on his duty belt. A few others still have .38s but all carry strong side.

They just say they are 'grandfathered in' although the policy and equipment documents make no such distinction whatsoever and quite clearly require modern level 3+ retention holsters
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 12:02:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You arrest a guy and your car has no cage. You put him in the front passenger seat. That way you can protect your gun, and he can't grab it. That's how it used to be done.

Sitting down, shoulder injury, lots of reasons.
View Quote

Crossdraw is my favorite due to limited range of motion in my arms.   I find it very comfortable,  and it doesnt have the tendency to snag against objects you brush up against.

Like appendix carry,  you cant have a big ole gut hanging out to pull it off.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 12:03:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Cross draws are favored by folks who sit in patrol cars.  Provided they're not strapped in with a seat belt, it's easier to get out of the holster for them.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 12:06:34 AM EDT
[#23]
It's the correct way to wear your Serpa holster when carrying your Taurus Judge
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 12:09:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 12:20:32 AM EDT
[#25]
I find that crossdraw conceals better than strong-side, and is less annoying than appendix carry. Of course, all of that depends on gun, holster, body type, etc. YMMV.

PS. I also own one of those gimmicky holsters that allows you to carry a fullsize auto way up in your armpit. Almost never use the thing, but if I ever had an urge to CCW a handcannon, it would obviously have to be on the weak side.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 12:22:11 AM EDT
[#26]

Had the picture ready to go.  Glad I scrolled down.  

So, this.

Say when.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 12:25:16 AM EDT
[#27]
People who wear it have a death wish is the only good reason I can give.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 12:27:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Learn it
Know it
Love it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And Chuck Norris carried crossdraw in earlier "Walker, Texas Ranger" shows.  And in the movie where he rose from the dead in his buried truck.

Paladin

Learn it
Know it
Love it

Didn't somebody crawl out from a buried bus or something in WTR, as well?
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 12:43:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Every swinging dick in "The Walking Dead" seems to carry in a crossdraw holster.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 9:39:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hers was OWB on the hip. I would have no problem with a cross draw IWB appendix.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 12:47:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Y tho?
View Quote

Seeing as how I ain't done already seen that person I reckon she does it for the same reason that my GSD licks his own pecker. It's mainly on account of because he can and he don't care what anybody else thinks.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 3:20:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Paladin

Learn it
Know it
Love it

I have no idea but I bet it wasn't as awesome as a half dead Chuck Norris dumping a coors on his head and then hitting the supercharger on his ramcharger and driving out of being buried.

There is only one Lone Wolf McQuade
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Hers was OWB on the hip. I would have no problem with a cross draw IWB appendix.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't see what the problem is with OWB.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 5:02:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems it would be easy to sweep people and for a criminal, it would be easier to get a jump on the person cross drawing.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 5:10:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Years back, maybe the mid-seventies, I saw some San Antonio cops carrying cross draw.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 6:28:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I have no idea but I bet it wasn't as awesome as a half dead Chuck Norris dumping a coors on his head and then hitting the supercharger on his ramcharger and driving out of being buried.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Paladin

Learn it
Know it
Love it

It was a great spaghetti western. Walker, Texas Ranger is pretty much the sequel.

I really liked his cut down Auto-5.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 6:46:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Shoulder problem, or some other orthopedic issue that makes drawing from a strong side holster more difficult, would be a reason.  Some people want better access to the firearm with either hand would be another reason.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 2:25:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Seems it would be easy to sweep people and for a criminal, it would be easier to get a jump on the person cross drawing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you figure a holster that is usually closer to the front of you makes it easier to get jumped??

As far as sweeping people, anything except straight up and down does that at some point or another.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 2:28:15 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Sitting in a car?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Y tho?

Sitting in a car?

Yep,while driving I cross draw

If someone came to the drivers window I can sneak the gun out and shoot through the door if I had to.

Try getting the gun out of your right side and no one seeing it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 2:54:40 AM EDT
[#41]
You can still draw with your weak hand if your strong hand is doing something else.

Link Posted: 10/7/2016 2:59:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Then you are better off with a chest holster.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 8:49:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, obviously
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 8:55:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Because it looks bad ass.

See, when you shoot someone, you gotta pull it out all dramatic like.  That's why the pros never carry a loaded round (Israeli Mossad FYI), so you can rack the slide with lots of noise.

That tells the dude you're about to waste that you mean business and that guy really fucked up.  

Don't listen to these panty waist choads that are all "Condition 1" (Whatever that means).  Condition 1 is when you're ready to waste a fool no questions asked.
View Quote

Shin Bet, not Mossad
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 9:17:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Bought the wrong holster, and too cheap to buy a new one?
View Quote

Same holster used in cross draw...but good attempt at some humor.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 9:17:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Cause that's how Augustus McCrae did it so he could wack a surly bartender if he needed to.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 9:29:41 AM EDT
[#47]
In addition to the really good reasons for when a person is seated, it also has some advantages when being hands on with someone trying to hurt you. It's a little easier to get to a gun crossdraw while protect yourself than trying to get the gun hand back to 3oclock while said person is punching or stabbing or whatever. It's all really really bad, of course. Preferable to not be in that situation.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 9:46:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Yep, if sitting all day crossdraw works well.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 9:50:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Angle is similar to strong side OWB concealment holster, the gun is just inverted. Sweep is the same.
If your gun is in front then I'd expect you would see them coming if they were going for it, and in a crossdraw rig you can get both/either of your hands on it in the case someone does try to snatch it.

Plus, as been said, it looks cool. Nothing says "fuck you punk" like blading at 45, pulling aside your jacket to clear your rig with a steely eyed wolfstare. Womens panties literally fall to the floor, and the guy at the gas station that was about to ask you for directions will pee himself.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 10:01:02 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

this...I actually have a cross draw holster that is made specifically for long driving trips...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

this...I actually have a cross draw holster that is made specifically for long driving trips...

In the winter I usually switch back to my 1911 in a vertical shoulder holster for car trips more than a couple hours. Or if i'm wearing cargo pant's i'll have my P938 in the right cargo pocket to draw sitting and have my G19 IWB/OWB.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top