Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 24
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 5:41:18 PM EDT
[#1]
New jewelry installed on the 572XP today.  OEM spikes held in comparison.  Came in a kit with both inner and outer dogs.  I only put on the inners and will probably keep it that way.  In order to install the outers, I would have to change out the bar nuts which is easy, but I don't see a need now.

Link Posted: 9/2/2022 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice Dags!
West Coast 3 point on my 7310p
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/2/2022 9:30:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Yep, these are the Husky OEM West Coast 4 points(part# 589772101).  Can't wait to break them in-should be helpful with face cuts.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I hate our farm boss.  

Since new it does good on cutting logs on the ground.  It's heavy and awkward to cut trees down, not to mention it bogs down so easily so making cuts accurately is hard to do.  It also sucks to try and rip logs into boards, since the saw bogs down so easily.  I've worked on it many times trying to improve the saw, but it's just how it is, and I see many other complaints online about the bogging down.

I have a smaller Stihl that works awesome, and a larger husqvarna that is awesome.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 10:05:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Stihl 029 Super. Inherited it with a blown engine, cylinder compression was a whole 3 psi. Doing an upgrade to a big bore engine. Just washed the case and components this morning.

I'll rebuild the entire thing, needs to be reliable.  I like my MS170 and pole saw, they start in 3 pulls.

This engine before it died required a lot of pulls to start. I was told the saw was loaned to someone who didnt run the correct ratio of oil:fuel. They returned it and said it stopped running. I took it so I could have a bigger than I'll ever need saw, knowing one day I'll get around to fixing it. Only thing I dont like about the small saws are pico chains, but they have done well so far. Mesquite wood is harder than Maple and dulls chains lickty split.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 11:44:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 11:45:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Echo...
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 10:37:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Stihl 029 Super. Inherited it with a blown engine, cylinder compression was a whole 3 psi. Doing an upgrade to a big bore engine. Just washed the case and components this morning.

I'll rebuild the entire thing, needs to be reliable.  I like my MS170 and pole saw, they start in 3 pulls.

This engine before it died required a lot of pulls to start. I was told the saw was loaned to someone who didnt run the correct ratio of oil:fuel. They returned it and said it stopped running. I took it so I could have a bigger than I'll ever need saw, knowing one day I'll get around to fixing it. Only thing I dont like about the small saws are pico chains, but they have done well so far. Mesquite wood is harder than Maple and dulls chains lickty split.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129899/0902221853_jpg-2512446.JPG
View Quote

Lucky for me is Juniper is my main wood as it burns longer than pine and smells amazing when burned.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 12:00:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Why you hate thumb?

Nice looking XL!
View Quote

Thanks! Thumb demands regular exercise and XL provides plenty!
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 10:03:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 11:55:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I grabbed this from my farmer buddy's scrap pile.  I'm hoping to get it running. My kids need to know the joy of manual oiling.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/146014/20200711_183957-1513897.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/146014/20200711_184004-2515055.jpg
View Quote

That is cool! Post WIP.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:52:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Yesterday, ordered a DeWalt 12" 20V XR chainsaw to work with the smaller stuff. Should be here for this weekend. Already read about the chain oil leaks, so I'm gonna get some orings to try to fit the plug.

Want to try it out as a 12" saw first and how it does with the 5AH battery it comes with. Lots of people out there saying to swap the bar to a 14" bar, but I'm mainly going to be using it for smaller stuff and clean up purposes.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 3:03:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

@Stantonizm

Yup, and I bet you're right. Helluva guy selling awesome saws for a good price.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice collection! Did that low-top 372 make a trip from overseas? Bet it came from the same place mine did.

@Stantonizm

Yup, and I bet you're right. Helluva guy selling awesome saws for a good price.

I got one, then realized he had ported ones too, so I sold the first one before I used it and grabbed a ported one. On a dyno test, one of them was getting 8.5 horsepower. Here’s a video of it running against my 390XP in 24” oak.

ETA: Can’t get the short video to embed, so here it is against a 371XP w/ 20” bar. The modded 390XP beat the 372, but just by a second or two

Ported 372XP OE vs. Stock 371XP

Link Posted: 9/6/2022 5:52:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I hate our farm boss.  

Since new it does good on cutting logs on the ground.  It's heavy and awkward to cut trees down, not to mention it bogs down so easily so making cuts accurately is hard to do.  It also sucks to try and rip logs into boards, since the saw bogs down so easily.  I've worked on it many times trying to improve the saw, but it's just how it is, and I see many other complaints online about the bogging down.

I have a smaller Stihl that works awesome, and a larger husqvarna that is awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I hate our farm boss.  

Yeah it’s not a powerful saw, especially for the weight. Like 3.6bhp and 13lb powerhead.

Link Posted: 9/6/2022 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I have been wearing chaps since a friend took a saw across the front of his leg. He has a nasty scar to show for it.  Chaps are cheaper than a doctor visit
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 6:54:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yeah it’s not a powerful saw, especially for the weight. Like 3.6bhp and 13lb powerhead.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hate our farm boss.  

I used to think my Farm Boss was a good saw….until I ran a 362 and 500i.  For a cheap saw that only gets used a few times a year it’s fine but if your cutting much wood it’s worth getting a better saw.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 7:07:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I used to think my Farm Boss was a good saw….until I ran a 362 and 500i.  For a cheap saw that only gets used a few times a year it’s fine but if your cutting much wood it’s worth getting a better saw.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hate our farm boss.  

It’s a good saw to let people use. With an 18” bar and Green chain it’s super docile.

Mine won’t die. I’ve let it sit for a year with 10% ethanol gas and no-name oil and it fires right up on 3-4 pulls.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 12:37:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have been wearing chaps since a friend took a saw across the front of his leg. He has a nasty scar to show for it.  Chaps are cheaper than a doctor visit
View Quote

I already stated it a page or two back but I picked up a brand new set for $50 by Husqvarna on sale. Cheap insurance.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 8:11:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It’s a good saw to let people use. With an 18” bar and Green chain it’s super docile.

Mine won’t die. I’ve let it sit for a year with 10% ethanol gas and no-name oil and it fires right up on 3-4 pulls.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hate our farm boss.  

Agreed....I still have mine and will fire it up a couple times a year.  It is my unofficial loaner saw.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 5:57:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Agreed....I still have mine and will fire it up a couple times a year.  It is my unofficial loaner saw.
View Quote

I don't loan out my tools.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 6:50:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Should you use chaps with electric saws?
View Quote

They make chaps just for electric saws, they don't stall like gas saws when they hit regular chaps.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 12:17:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a pretty short list of people that I'll loan tools too.....they're people that I know for a fact will fix or replace anything they break without question.  They're also the same people I'd be more likely to take my tools over to help them with the job....but sometimes schedules don't align for that to work.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 1:56:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have a pretty short list of people that I'll loan tools too.....they're people that I know for a fact will fix or replace anything they break without question.  They're also the same people I'd be more likely to take my tools over to help them with the job....but sometimes schedules don't align for that to work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear yah on that, I just don't want to deal with having to be the guy that has to say - you broke it so fix it or buy me a new one.

We need more saw picks in here!
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 2:03:25 PM EDT
[#24]
271 Farm Boss with the DeWalt 20V XR that was delivered today.

Attachment Attached File

Must say, just taking the DeWalt out and throwing an 8ah battery on it to try, I was pretty pleased. I don't expect it to take down oaks, but limbing, bucking 4-6" limbs and doing some cleanup, it seems like it's going to be just fine. I put some Stihl bar oil in it and took it out for about 45 minutes to try out. About 30 cuts on fresh pine 4-8" diameter and then a few cuts on some seasoned hardwoods only drained the battery a bar. The bar oil needed refilled, but I expected that. I picked up some orings for the reservoir leaking we all hear about and put that on the cap as well.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 2:13:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I hear yah on that, I just don't want to deal with having to be the guy that has to say - you broke it so fix it or buy me a new one.

View Quote

Here's my 500i when it was new.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 2:44:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Mine, with the heavy bar.  I love this saw

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 2:48:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/341204/500i_small_jpg-2518815.JPG
View Quote

Pull the trigger on a lightweight bar.....I held off for a long time because of the price....they're worth every penny!
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 2:53:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Pull the trigger on a lightweight bar.....I held off for a long time because of the price....they're worth every penny!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/341204/500i_small_jpg-2518815.JPG

I have it!  Yep, the balance is much better (perfect I'd say).  There was a delay getting it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 3:00:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I just got a Milwaukee with a 12.0HD battery.  I wasn’t really looking but the battery is 259 at Home Depot and the saw is 299.  The combo was on sale for 448 with an included charger which was enough for me to take the leap..  

Link Posted: 9/8/2022 6:49:48 PM EDT
[#30]
STIHL MS241-CM and
ECHO CS2511T aka “mighty mouse”
Both basically stock. I don’t heat w wood, so, unless it’s pretty big, I usually grab the ECHO. ??
Stay safe

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/8/2022 9:14:53 PM EDT
[#31]
I could use some beefier dags.

Link Posted: 9/9/2022 2:53:55 PM EDT
[#32]
I had the DeWalt 12" 20V chainsaw back out for about 1/2 hr today. Cut up some downed pine branches 4-6" and then cut up some more of the seasoned hardwoods on the stack. These were 8"-10" diameter and oak/maple that fell some time back. Still did well.

Didn't wear hearing protection this time to see how loud it was. Not very, which is nice. Wearing muffs for an extended time is not the greatest feeling.

About the same as yesterday, went through about a bar on the 8AH battery before the bar oil needed refilled. I've been using the Stihl bar oil I have on hand.

Still seems to be throwing good chips with the stock bar, but I'm looking for a sharpener. It's a 3/8 pitch chain, but I don't know if I can use the same sharpener I have for my MS271. Also saw on Amazon the 14" Oregon bar/chain combo was $20. May take a shot on that. Oregon doesn't specifically say it will fit the DeWalt, but other people have stated as such and put out the part number they used.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 4:26:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 10:07:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I had the DeWalt 12" 20V chainsaw back out for about 1/2 hr today. Cut up some downed pine branches 4-6" and then cut up some more of the seasoned hardwoods on the stack. These were 8"-10" diameter and oak/maple that fell some time back. Still did well.

Didn't wear hearing protection this time to see how loud it was. Not very, which is nice. Wearing muffs for an extended time is not the greatest feeling.

About the same as yesterday, went through about a bar on the 8AH battery before the bar oil needed refilled. I've been using the Stihl bar oil I have on hand.

Still seems to be throwing good chips with the stock bar, but I'm looking for a sharpener. It's a 3/8 pitch chain, but I don't know if I can use the same sharpener I have for my MS271. Also saw on Amazon the 14" Oregon bar/chain combo was $20. May take a shot on that. Oregon doesn't specifically say it will fit the DeWalt, but other people have stated as such and put out the part number they used.
View Quote

Do it! Then report back if it works or not.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 10:22:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/10/2022 10:23:42 AM EDT
[#36]
My first good chainsaw was a Stihl MS310. I had went to buy two MS290 farm bosses, but they were out of stock. The MS310 was the exact same saw with a little bit more power. Parts are pretty much interchangeable between the two.

Anyhow, I cut firewood with that saw for 15+ years, edit, piped, re-jetted, etc. Was an awesome chainsaw, that still cut firewood to this day as I gave it to my father-in-law (who has the other 310 I bought almost 20 years ago).

The farm boss MS290/310 are great saws for a firewood man/woman.

I would still have mine, but the Pro series Sthil/Husqvarna bug got me. Once I got my MS361, there was no need for the heavier, slower, less powerful farm boss.

Link Posted: 9/10/2022 10:28:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I used to think my Farm Boss was a good saw .until I ran a 362 and 500i.  For a cheap saw that only gets used a few times a year it's fine but if your cutting much wood it's worth getting a better saw.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hate our farm boss.  

Yeah it's not a powerful saw, especially for the weight. Like 3.6bhp and 13lb powerhead.

I used to think my Farm Boss was a good saw .until I ran a 362 and 500i.  For a cheap saw that only gets used a few times a year it's fine but if your cutting much wood it's worth getting a better saw.

There are better saws for sure, but with a muffler mod it really wakes those things up. I cut cords, upon chords, upon cords of firewood to heat my home for almost 2 decades with a farm boss. Yes, once I got into the better pro series saws, I never looked back. However, for the longest time I never felt I needed a better saw for firewood. And I was cutting all hardwood here in Northwest Ohio (mostly white ash, red oak, hard maple, etc.).

FWIW, I heat 100% with firewood in an indoor Hearthstone stove.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 10:30:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It's a good saw to let people use. With an 18" bar and Green chain it's super docile.

Mine won't die. I've let it sit for a year with 10% ethanol gas and no-name oil and it fires right up on 3-4 pulls.
View Quote

My 310 has a scored cylinder and piston, on the exhaust side. Has been that way for the past two years since I gave it to my father-in-law. I have no idea how long it was like that while I had it, but it's still has good compression and cuts well.

She's a tank and will not die lol.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 10:31:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's a perfect use for it honestly,, especially if you've moved onto better saws. I had done the same in the past, and I never worried if they broke it. LOL

Link Posted: 9/10/2022 10:32:07 AM EDT
[#40]

schwing!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 10:35:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
STIHL MS241-CM and
ECHO CS2511T aka "mighty mouse"
Both basically stock. I don't heat w wood, so, unless it's pretty big, I usually grab the ECHO.  
Stay safe

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/12669/E3D57630-9923-43B7-94D2-A3FBF87FBA75_jpe-2519073.JPG
View Quote

The MS241 is my most missed Stihl (followed closely by the MS361). For a 40 cc saw those things rip, and can keep up with saws much higher in displacement.

I wish they weren't so gosh darn expensive, because I'd buy another one. The last one I purchased was new old stock for $600, cut with it for a year and sold it for $550, IIRC. Only sold it because I told the wife I would after I picked up an absolute cherry Husqvarna 262XP (With the HTA87 and KS jug). I ended up selling that too, which was hard but it just sat because I didn't wanna mess it up because it was so freaking clean. It was like it was a time capsule saw, some old time or bought it and set it on the shelf and only ran it every once a while to keep it in good shape.

Now that I have ported 254XPs, I don't grab any other saw, unless I need to run longer than a 20 inch bar into something...
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 12:22:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Husqvarna 455 Rancher, think 20” bar. I don’t do anything major except clean up fallen trees and dropped limbs now and then when the wind gets them. Oh, and popping beer tops. Stock and only ever replaced the gas line and chain. Have another Husq in the shop, can’t remember the model. Good bit smaller than the 455. Needs a new pull start. Think it has an 18” bar. If it’ll run, I’ll look at getting the shortest bar setup I can and use it for a camp saw.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 5:48:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The sharpener will be dependent on the pitch. If you have 3/8" on your 271 you should be fine. Although, I thought the 271 had .325
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The sharpener will be dependent on the pitch. If you have 3/8" on your 271 you should be fine. Although, I thought the 271 had .325

I think you're right, just need to get down there and check. Not a big deal to have 2 sharpeners.

Quoted:
Do it! Then report back if it works or not.

This is why this places costs more money. Ordered.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 6:49:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Might as well post this here since it's the "official" saw thread.
Echo CS 2511T
Muffler opened up but no deflector welded on yet.
Limit caps removed, tach installed.
Wish me luck

Link Posted: 9/10/2022 6:56:49 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

Start googling the name of your saw and felling dogs.  You'll eventually come up with part numbers.  

Added felling dogs to my 572XP.  Interior only so I didn't mess with the captured bar nuts.  

Did the 562 mod to my 550, but while they are 'bigger', they aren't angled correctly to grab a tree.  Have 562 felling dogs on order that I'll make fit on the 550.

Link Posted: 9/10/2022 7:27:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Will tune it more after muffler gets a tailpipe and saw gets broke in.
Ran around 11,200 rpm's in the cut with sharp chain, 14" bar and dry white oak.
Max no load rpm while tinkering with it was 14,600.

Good enough for now.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 7:28:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Stihl
MS250 18"
MS440 32"

Husky
359 24" (little modded)

Echo
CS3450 16"
CS530 20"

Link Posted: 9/10/2022 8:22:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

562xp, motorcycle trail clearing.

Link Posted: 9/11/2022 1:02:52 AM EDT
[#50]
View All Quotes

Needs a tune pipe on that!

@Joe731
That is awesome! Now we're you riding while clearing the trail?
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top