Baking muffler clamshells for lunch
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 3:30:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Started tearing this down.

Link Posted: 10/9/2022 4:21:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Jug was polished up a bit, decomp plugged for good (yes they will eventually leak...MS361 doesn't need it).
Some high tech NASA heat shield over crankcase.
Now, gotta build port blockers for a pressure and vacuum test.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/542569/7035FCEF-CC4A-4377-B1BC-F99845B0D95B-2556773.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/542569/E3187572-FC0F-4747-B765-D2C1EB18C399-2556774.jpg
View Quote

Looking good!
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 6:47:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Found my minor fuel leak, pretty obvious

Link Posted: 10/9/2022 7:40:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I use Stihl MS 170s in my business.

This is the first I have read about modifying them.

What suggestions does anyone have for modding the MS170 that is used for cutting pilings and 2x8s around marine construction sites?
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 7:58:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Took 3 silver maples and a mulberry down last week. Started cutting it up yesterday.

Link Posted: 10/9/2022 8:33:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What suggestions does anyone have for modding the MS170 that is used for cutting pilings and 2x8s around marine construction sites?
View Quote
I put a bigger bar\chain on mine.  Muffler mod and an adjustable carb to tune it better would be next\easiest.  

Easy Upgrades for your Stihl MS170

Link Posted: 10/9/2022 8:44:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do a muffler mod. A muffler mod is where you open up the muffler some to allow it to have a better throttle response and more power. It works by allowing the exhaust gas to exit faster. You only want to open it up some, going overboard messes with the very specific flow range needed to run well. Another smart and relatively easy mod to increase power is to remove the base gasket for the cylinder. You use a sealant that allows it to change the tolerance of travel of the piston to travel up to .020”(can’t remember the exact number)….   .020” clearance between the top of the piston and the ceiling of the cylinder. That will increase your compression, and thus increases power. You could also change your drive sprocket for more torque or more speed. More teeth in the drive sprocket for the chain increases chain rpm, less increases pull and torque. Between the two I prefer torque. Imagine it like if you could push a car slow, but steadily or push a baby stroller fast. That’s what it’s like for a chain. Chain speed has a place, but for such a small engine you’ll want a torque preference. You can also remove any safety chain and use straight up non ramped depth gauges and a chisel chain profile tooth.

Remove the spark arrestor too, that impedes airflow. If you want to get ass deep into it you can do porting, change the ignition timing, remove the base gasket for the cylinder, dome the top of the piston, turbo the crank, but I think we’re getting way ahead of ourselves, haha.
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 8:48:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 9:26:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Doubletap
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 9:34:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Do a muffler mod. A muffler mod is where you open up the muffler some to allow it to have a better throttle response and more power. It works by allowing the exhaust gas to exit faster. You only want to open it up some, going overboard messes with the very specific flow range needed to run well. Another smart and relatively easy mod to increase power is to remove the base gasket for the cylinder. You use a sealant that allows it to change the tolerance of travel of the piston to travel up to .020”(can’t remember the exact number)….   .020” clearance between the top of the piston and the ceiling of the cylinder. That will increase your compression, and thus increases power. You could also change your drive sprocket for more torque or more speed. More teeth in the drive sprocket for the chain increases chain rpm, less increases pull and torque. Between the two I prefer torque. Imagine it like if you could push a car slow, but steadily or push a baby stroller fast. That’s what it’s like for a chain. Chain speed has a place, but for such a small engine you’ll want a torque preference. You can also remove any safety chain and use straight up non ramped depth gauges and a chisel chain profile tooth.

Remove the spark arrestor too, that impedes airflow. If you want to get ass deep into it you can do porting, change the ignition timing, remove the base gasket for the cylinder, dome the top of the piston, turbo the crank, but I think we’re getting way ahead of ourselves, haha.
View Quote

Factory squish on my 361 was .035
Its now at .019 with gasket delete.
We shall see when I get it all back together how it runs.

Link Posted: 10/9/2022 9:45:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Picked up a new MS661C today
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Finally fell the red pine that's been dropping sap on our vehicles and anything else under it. Gonna use the logs for practice with the chainsaw mill.

Ran the 372xp OE (24" with 3/8) and ported 254xp today (20" with 3/8).

Link Posted: 10/9/2022 10:09:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Bear with me as I make a long story short;

My Dad sold Disston saws in the early 50's.  In NE Ohio they were a big saw and the area was developing fast.  He had a power equipment business and also a Mercury (outboard motors) dealership.  The Disston was a natural since he already stocked many of the parts since the Disston saw used Mercury engines.

Decades later he said to me "I'd like to have one of those saws again.  Just to hear it run."  I tucked that nugget of information away and began the search for a saw.  It took some time, but found one and restored it.  I brought it to him and delivered a surprise gift.  One tug of the rope and two cylinder two stroke music was playing!

He proudly displayed it in his shop until he passed.  

My venture into these saws was not over.  A nearby Amish shop had several.  I restored a saw for the owner and payment was yet another saw!  Later on I ended up with more parts and now have all of the saws I restored back.

Two are Disstons, and two are the more rare Keikaffer saws.  

In the 50's, I'll call it "the chainsaw wars" were on.  You had Maul, Homelite, McCulloc, Disston, Remington, and others all pumping out faster, lighter, more useful, efficient saws.  Disston was counting on Mercury to engineer and deliver a lighter saw, and they did.  The DA101.  It was quickly outsold by more competitive products.  The relationship between Mercury and Disston fell apart and that was the end of Disston saws.  Not so fast said the Mercury people.  They changed the color and attached a new nameplate to sell a Keikaffer chain saw.  Again, the market did not respond to the heavy, two man saws and in a year of so they were in the history books.  Well, with one exception.

With this nicely tooled engine package, there must be someone that could use it.  That someone was the Watson-Jackson Pump Company.  Mostly known as Wajax pumps.  They made a four stage centrifugal water pump head that attached to the engine.  With a lightweight base, this was sold as a portable firefighting water pump.  I believe that they are still in business.

I only ran across one of these pumps and I own it.  It is hard to prime, but when it does you had better be hanging on to the nozzle. It really moves the water.  Here are two pictures of the Wajax pump in action with my friend Doug.  RIP Doug.  You were a good man and are missed.

Bob

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 2:20:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Took 3 silver maples and a mulberry down last week. Started cutting it up yesterday.

https://i.imgur.com/1odThRS.jpg
View Quote

Which models are those?
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 7:42:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Bear with me as I make a long story short;

My Dad sold Disston saws in the early 50's.  In NE Ohio they were a big saw and the area was developing fast.  He had a power equipment business and also a Mercury (outboard motors) dealership.  The Disston was a natural since he already stocked many of the parts since the Disston saw used Mercury engines.

Decades later he said to me "I'd like to have one of those saws again.  Just to hear it run."  I tucked that nugget of information away and began the search for a saw.  It took some time, but found one and restored it.  I brought it to him and delivered a surprise gift.  One tug of the rope and two cylinder two stroke music was playing!

He proudly displayed it in his shop until he passed.  

My venture into these saws was not over.  A nearby Amish shop had several.  I restored a saw for the owner and payment was yet another saw!  Later on I ended up with more parts and now have all of the saws I restored back.

Two are Disstons, and two are the more rare Keikaffer saws.  

In the 50's, I'll call it "the chainsaw wars" were on.  You had Maul, Homelite, McCulloc, Disston, Remington, and others all pumping out faster, lighter, more useful, efficient saws.  Disston was counting on Mercury to engineer and deliver a lighter saw, and they did.  The DA101.  It was quickly outsold by more competitive products.  The relationship between Mercury and Disston fell apart and that was the end of Disston saws.  Not so fast said the Mercury people.  They changed the color and attached a new nameplate to sell a Keikaffer chain saw.  Again, the market did not respond to the heavy, two man saws and in a year of so they were in the history books.  Well, with one exception.

With this nicely tooled engine package, there must be someone that could use it.  That someone was the Watson-Jackson Pump Company.  Mostly known as Wajax pumps.  They made a four stage centrifugal water pump head that attached to the engine.  With a lightweight base, this was sold as a portable firefighting water pump.  I believe that they are still in business.

I only ran across one of these pumps and I own it.  It is hard to prime, but when it does you had better be hanging on to the nozzle. It really moves the water.  Here are two pictures of the Wajax pump in action with my friend Doug.  RIP Doug.  You were a good man and are missed.

Bob

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/125209/IMG_1710_jpg-2557917.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/125209/IMG_1712_jpg-2557919.JPG
View Quote

That bit of history was worth the read.
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 10:40:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Which models are those?
View Quote
445, 455, 371xp
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 7:45:08 PM EDT
[#24]

What are the cheap no-brainers to replace while I have this thing apart?

I am already am planning on new ignition module, fuel lines, air filter, spark plug and vibration dampers ( they are spongey).

Feels like it has good compression, but have a compression gauge coming and will pull some ohm readings off the coil before I go overboard with parts.

Learning as I go with this.
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 7:59:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Picked up a new MS661C today
View Quote

Nice
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 8:01:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

What are the cheap no-brainers to replace while I have this thing apart?

I am already am planning on new ignition module, fuel lines, air filter, spark plug and vibration dampers ( they are spongey).

Feels like it has good compression, but have a compression gauge coming and will pull some ohm readings off the coil before I go overboard with parts.

Learning as I go with this.
View Quote

Gonna pressure and vac test it ?
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 8:42:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Honestly hadn't planned on it, but looks like I can get a pump for $50 or so... so yeah, I will do that.

What else? Don't want to go overboard an a 40+ year old saw, but am interested in the knowledge and basic toolkit.

Appreciate the input.
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 8:42:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Honestly hadn't planned on it, but looks like I can get a pump for $50 or so... so yeah, I will do that.

What else? Don't want to go overboard an a 40+ year old saw, but am interested in the knowledge and basic toolkit.

Appreciate the input.
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 9:51:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Appreciate the input.
View Quote

I think testing a saw that old is worth it if it has some value to ya.
It would suck to do all that you mentioned only to find out you had a gasket leak or bad crank seals.
I’d pull the exhaust and rotate piston to check for bad scoring, hopefully compression checks out good !
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 8:53:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Decided to be different, helps that orange is my favorite color.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 11:08:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Decided to be different, helps that orange is my favorite color.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/542569/3AFB6BF3-C189-4674-91A5-E51E7AF4BA30-2559333.jpg
View Quote

Painted in Husqvarna orange?
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 11:23:09 AM EDT
[#32]
I *really* want to learn how to do a little mild porting work (as well as opening up mufflers).  I have the equipment, and actually a few donor saws to practice on, just haven't taken the time....yet.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 11:28:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Damn you, I see it now
Gonna have to add some pinstripes.
High temp paint is expnsive.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 11:29:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I *really* want to learn how to do a little mild porting work (as well as opening up mufflers).  I have the equipment, and actually a few donor saws to practice on, just haven't taken the time....yet.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/11/2022 8:28:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Nothing to write home about, but enough to hold my own cutting firewood, and occasionally feeding my dad’s woodmizer.   I do miss my 346xp ??.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 9:26:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Homemade exhaust port blocker for air leak testing.
Made from scrap aluminum and some scrap silicone membrane.

Link Posted: 10/11/2022 10:05:30 PM EDT
[#37]
7.5lbs pressure held solid at 7 minutes, no leakdown.
This makes me very happy.

Edit to add:
Vac'd to 15inHg for 10 minutes, rotated crank several times, held vacuum fine.

Link Posted: 10/12/2022 12:20:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Damn you, I see it now
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn you, I see it now

Stihl looks good though!

---------
Maybe do the lower half white?

Quoted:
Nothing to write home about, but enough to hold my own cutting firewood, and occasionally feeding my dad’s woodmizer.   I do miss my 346xp ??.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/153294/99E0B06C-D3C6-4F69-9216-734D08AE33EC_jpe-2560048.JPG

Can't go wrong with that setup!
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 12:56:37 AM EDT
[#39]
@rtlm
Do you do any side work? I've got a 044 with a leaky crankcase.  It runs good, under throttle. But dies when you let off.  I took it to my local Stihl shop and they told me it had a crankcase leak.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 5:59:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
@rtlm
Do you do any side work? I've got a 044 with a leaky crankcase.  It runs good, under throttle. But dies when you let off.  I took it to my local Stihl shop and they told me it had a crankcase leak.
View Quote

No sir, I just like to tinker, modify, and hot rod everything, strictly a hobbyist.
I have not personally split a case...yet.
With a pressure tester and spray bottle of soapy water, it shouldn't be hard to pinpoint your leak.
044 is a good saw, fix er up.
If you want to verify their diagnosis, the tester I bought was only $70
pressure/vac tester
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 7:37:13 AM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

I made something similar for a Stihl 066 years ago, chasing a clutch side crank seal.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 8:53:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I made something similar for a Stihl 066 years ago, chasing a clutch side crank seal.
View Quote

Diy works.
Used membrane and tiny hose clamp to seal intake port.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 10:58:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Did a "stealth" muffler mod on my Echo 7310p. Hard to get good pics.  But stock, it is a wide open can with a fairly decent exhaust opening, but it has a half-pipe tube welded under the outlet that's pretty small compared to the outlet port.
It makes the gas have to bounce off the front of the muffler and then come back through the small tube to get out.
So I reached up inside and drilled a bunch of small holes around the edges of the tube,  then kept enlarging the holes and grinding with a dremel until I was able to connect the dots to sever the tube.
Them I enlarged the exhaust opening slightly by drilling up from the inside.
Can't tell anything is going on by looking at it, but it has a straight shot through the port now.  Gotta get the limiter caps off the carb and hopefully give it a try later.
Crappy pics to follow (didnt get a before of the half pipe tube)...
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/12/2022 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Did a "stealth" muffler mod on my Echo 7310p. Hard to get good pics.  But stock, it is a wide open can with a fairly decent exhaust opening, but it has a half-pipe tube welded under the outlet that's pretty small compared to the outlet port.
It makes the gas have to bounce off the front of the muffler and then come back through the small tube to get out.
So I reached up inside and drilled a bunch of small holes around the edges of the tube,  then kept enlarging the holes and grinding with a dremel until I was able to connect the dots to sever the tube.
Them I enlarged the exhaust opening slightly by drilling up from the inside.
Can't tell anything is going on by looking at it, but it has a straight shot through the port now.  Gotta get the limiter caps off the carb and hopefully give it a try later.
Crappy pics to follow (didnt get a before of the half pipe tube)...
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/419134/20221012_103909_jpg-2560500.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/419134/20221012_104254_jpg-2560502.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/419134/20221012_104458_jpg-2560503.JPG
View Quote

Nice.
Let us know how it screams after tuning.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 4:13:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Nice.
Let us know how it screams after tuning.
View Quote
Echo 7310p, new muffler mod first cuts

Quick tune and tryout after I figured out how to remove the limiters (these are different than the normal plastic ones),  Thank goodness for YouTube "how to" videos,  it was easy, (just had to drill out the plastic stop in the metal limiter) and I thankfully didn't break anything

Edit to add picture
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:08:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxoK-ZB03pI
Quick tune and tryout after I figured out how to remove the limiters (these are different than the normal plastic ones),  Thank goodness for YouTube "how to" videos,  it was easy, (just had to drill out the plastic stop in the metal limiter) and I thankfully didn't break anything

Edit to add picture
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/419134/20221012_145416_jpg-2560774.JPG
View Quote

Very nice.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:21:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Stiffened up the suspension a bit with some cut down bushings from donor saws, and put a taller 500i bushing to replace a worn shorter one that sets against fuel tank.
Compression test was a fail, my gauge wouldn’t read past 60lbs and saw was easy to pull, no idea as I tested it against my air compressor and gauge worked and tested didn’t leak, no idea.

Put spark plug in and trust me, it has a shitload of compression, more effort required to pull it than before.
Deleting the base gasket definitely boosted compression.
Fueled it up just to hear it crank and let it idle and warm up, and it sounds sweet.
Looking forward to putting bar on and tuning it.

Still gotta figure out what I’m gonna do about air filter system.
Might use an aluminum spacer and aftermarket system for more air flow or even a bigger or bored carb.

Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:57:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Very nice.
View Quote
Thanks, not super loud but definitely feels like it has more "pull".  
Wasn't forcing it when I dogged in on the cut, just letting the saw work and it just kept pulling itself through.
Before it seemed to want to bog down when I dogged the 28" in bigger wood
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:34:51 AM EDT
[#49]

Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top