as creepy as Joe Biden
View Quote
Nice reply.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 10:08:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Update 1/17/19

Velcro is going to make a nice access hatch for us.  The student even added a bit of spacing in the inside so that the panel doesn't stick out.  Pretty good idea.

My student was open to reworking the football.  She scoffed a bit at first, but then did an excellent job.

Students got almost all the front windows paneled in and ready for glass bending.

The rocket sled is speeding up quickly.

Fitting it onto the main fuselage was a bit of a struggle and required some modification to get over the hangers.

Just a bit too tight.

Once on, we had many, many off and ons, as we adjusted the places that were too high.

We had also allowed a gap to develop between the two halves and it wasn't helpful to find that out after several sessions of fitting.

We had a brief moment this afternoon with a former student who didn't get to take an Art class this spring, and she offered to work, so she foamed up our nose for us.

With the rotor hub up there it's looking pretty blackhawkish .

Link Posted: 1/17/2019 10:15:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That looks pretty complete.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From a quick Google search (Search term: model aircraft lighting systems). Just a place to start.

https://www.motionrc.com/products/gt-power-aircraft-lighting-system
The Arduino code I sent you will work well.  If you need LED diodes fire me an IM.  I have plenty of those.  Top man can figure out how to break it down and add outputs and play with timing.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 10:20:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Arduino code I sent you will work well.  If you need LED diodes fire me an IM.  I have plenty of those.  Top man can figure out how to break it down and add outputs and play with timing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
From a quick Google search (Search term: model aircraft lighting systems). Just a place to start.

https://www.motionrc.com/products/gt-power-aircraft-lighting-system

Good to know!
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 10:25:50 PM EDT
[#6]
It is lookin good !
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 10:36:38 PM EDT
[#7]
So I haven't been following along closely, mostly just scrolling through and looking at pictures.

That said, is one side still Coast Guard and the other side Marine One?

Excellent work as always.

Give special props to your mural girl.  She does amazing work.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 10:49:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So I haven't been following along closely, mostly just scrolling through and looking at pictures.

That said, is one side still Coast Guard and the other side Marine One?

Excellent work as always.

Give special props to your mural girl.  She does amazing work.
View Quote
About 70% (left side)will be Marine One.  Inside wall, right side, 30%?,  will be a Army medevac....maybe 101st?

The 1/48th scale is Coast Guard.  The paint will fade from the gloss green and white, to the flat paint on the medevac side.  There are some small external details like the shock tower covers that will be fit different also.

My bridge painting muralist doesn't have an Art class this semester,  but she can by today and worked for an hour finishing up parts of her mural section.    Pretty cool that she took time to come work on it again.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 10:54:40 PM EDT
[#9]
The CAD team has gotten ahead of his a bit.

They are working on cutting out sections of the engine cowlings now.  We will put those together and attach them to the rocket sled after we finish skinning it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 11:38:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:  About 70% (left side)will be Marine One.  Inside wall, right side, 30%?,  will be a Army medevac....maybe 101st?

The 1/48th scale is Coast Guard.  The paint will fade from the gloss green and white, to the flat paint on the medevac side.  There are some small external details like the shock tower covers that will be fit different also.

My bridge painting muralist doesn't have an Art class this semester,  but she can by today and worked for an hour finishing up parts of her mural section.    Pretty cool that she took time to come work on it again.
View Quote
guns, you might be more likely to get a UH-60 visit if you told your state Aviation Officer you wanted to model your interior Army medevac area after a Guard bird, rather than 101st.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 8:46:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

About 70% (left side)will be Marine One.  Inside wall, right side, 30%?,  will be a Army medevac....maybe 101st?

View Quote
101st Abn medevac is 326th Medical Battalion, Eagle Dustoff, and that would be badass.  Those are some of the ballsiest fliers in the world.  Every mission we prayed that Eagle Dustoff would be on station, because no one else was worth a fuck.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 8:55:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
101st Abn medevac is 326th Medical Battalion, Eagle Dustoff, and that would be badass.  Those are some of the ballsiest fliers in the world.  Every mission we prayed that Eagle Dustoff would be on station, because no one else was worth a fuck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sheesh,  I was feeling guilty after Brass's suggestion we would probably be doing a WY National guard rig, and then you go and throw that out there.

In reality, we may end up marking it with what fits with our transition scheme.    Basically, markings and insignia that allow it to be recognized, but not interfere with the White hawk nose.  The transition around the nose will start fading between the front sliding windows and the right side front corner window.  From the front, the nose will be completely viewed as Whitehawk.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 10:52:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Great update!!

Looks good
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 4:00:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow, the level of detail that the kids put into the top rotor is absolutely astounding
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Update 1/18

Had to share this.  I found it pretty funny.

I'm currently down helping Top_Men with the Space Shuttle.....well, I'm sitting posting on Arfcom while he works on it.

Figuring out if a low pass filter will work.

It wont.

He says he has two more methods/plans to make this work.  We will see.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 4:41:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Wow, the level of detail that the kids put into the top rotor is absolutely astounding
View Quote
They will be happy to hear this.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 5:03:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Update continued:

The football being sanded and prepped for repaint.
I'll tell you that the student teacher thought this level of scrutiny from ARFCOM surprised her.  I told her  not every criticism can we make better, but what we can, usually raises the bar on the projects.

Needing another coat of paint.

The nose ready for shaping.

We jacked up the rocket sled and started skinning around the edges on the fuselage top.

With the skin under the edge of the sled, students went and laid out and punched more rivets.  Notice the system....punch, drill, glue.  They were pretty fast at this with this many people able to help.

Finally, the first brush strokes of paint being applied to the tail.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 5:32:24 PM EDT
[#18]

SPACE SHUTTLE UPDATE:
The capacitors aren't big enough to fix our space shuttle problem.  The new plan is to rework the old code with out interrupts.

He thinks he has a plan on where to correct the old code to work with the IR button.  If that doesn't work, we will just put it back to the way it was.

He returned the wiring to the original set up, so tonight he will rewrite the code and we will try again tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 6:09:00 PM EDT
[#19]
As someone who used to inspect aircraft for a living, I am blown-away by the rotor head detail. Makes me want to reach for a flashlight (and a rag wrench ).
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 7:06:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 9:21:42 PM EDT
[#21]
This sweatshirt caught my eye. I'd buy that in a heartbeat walking by it in a store.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 10:09:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I really have to give your students high kudos!
By comparison - my actual aircraft build that I fly in looks simple....

Link Posted: 1/18/2019 10:19:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I really have to give your students high kudos!
By comparison - my actual aircraft build that I fly in looks simple....

http://a4.pbase.com/o3/72/325172/1/138135932.dDC1zatz.RV4wing.jpg

http://a4.pbase.com/o6/72/325172/1/70877692.8bYILdUf.Cockpit.JPG
View Quote
I was going to suggest a zillion Clecos, but thought that would be too mean.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 11:40:44 PM EDT
[#24]
The Space Shuttle is now "On Demand" operational.  

We (Top_Men and I) managed to get a full afternoon of precision shooting in, AND made it to the Shuttle this evening to get the new code tweaked and adjusted, till it finally worked!

Space Shutte Panther on demand opening
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 11:41:50 PM EDT
[#25]
.......closing on demand.

Space Shuttle Panther closing doors on command
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 11:49:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The Space Shuttle is now "On Demand" operational.  

We (Top_Men and I) managed to get a full afternoon of precision shooting in, AND made it to the Shuttle this evening to get the new code tweaked and adjusted, till it finally worked!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQc2Dkd3W9w
View Quote
He finally won his argument with HAL?  Congratulations.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:37:43 AM EDT
[#27]
AWESOME!

A future project for the Robotics class might be to make that arm operational.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:32:22 AM EDT
[#28]
I was a fixed wing guy, but I gotta say that rotor head looks LEGIT!!!
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:54:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll pass that along to the students who worked on it.  Maybe I can squeeze aN hour or two more out of them to do a little paint detail on some of the parts. Maybe some drybrush work.

While we were waiting on the timing of the shuttle doors last night, we did a little measuring for the blackhawk.  We measured from where the tail needs to be, forward to the main rotor, then we measured out from there 10'.    This gives a few extra inches for the main blades.  It's going to be really close..   Getting all four blades to fit means there isn't much room for that fuselage to move much.

Today we need to get more of the cockpit windows cut out and formed.  My front landing gear people need to jump back into their work and extend them forward to our now existing cabin area fuselage.

At some point, we need to flip the main fuselage on its back and finish some rivet lines.  That will be fun.    That may need to happen today.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 2:57:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 3:20:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
+150 for plexiglass, screws, plywood, 2x2s, 1x2s,

Quoted:
Quoted:

+ 45.00 spray paint, pvc,

$2268.00  .  total for materials as of 12/13

We think we may get some plywood donated to finish up the top cowlings, and cockpit sections of the helo.
+150 for plexiglass, screws, plywood, 2x2s, 1x2s,

$2453.00. Total as of 1/21/19.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 3:28:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Since I know you're two siding this bird, on the dust off side, almost all interior lighting is blue, with a few green lights, so we can easily see blood under NODs or naked eye.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 4:03:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Cool!

Which voodoo worked?  dump interrupts or change a typo or other?
View Quote
Dumped the interrupts, went back to the original wiring, and added in code.    We still had to fix a few code errors last night, but they turned out to be mostly, "Why are you writing code at 1am?" mistakes.

Still working perfectly today.  I wend down and played with the controller today before school.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:46:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Since I know you're two siding this bird, on the dust off side, almost all interior lighting is blue, with a few green lights, so we can easily see blood under NODs or naked eye.
View Quote
Good to know.  I'll write that on the board so we don't forget.

I was just thinking we need to figure out what or who we are going to use as a crew member.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:04:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Update 1/21

A good blizzard will help to make our are lighting dark enough to get the Marine One logo up next to ours.

We flipped the bird today, and got started on those rivet lines on the bottom.  These guys also worked on those front landing gear details.

Rivet work to day was furious.  We went through all of what I had left, and I thought I had just about enough.  We are only short a couple thousand.  I need to find a source that isn't from China slow boat.

Student teacher looking on and inspecting the work.

I showed this guy your comments about how much it looked like the real thing, and it didn't take much persuading to go back and add a few more paint details.

We were doing well with the plexiglass, getting it pretty close to the right shape, but when we went to cut it......  

It cracked right as we were finishing.  We are going to use this as a pattern and try to cut it out flat, then heat and contour.

The other major work today was the skinning of the top of our rocket sled.

They did a nice job getting all the lines to match up.

They worked to cut out the skin to allow the rotor to freely move 360 degrees.  We did this so we could make sure where ever the blades need to go, we can get them there.  It took a little work to make sure nothing would get hung up.

A little spray paint now, before we get too far along.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:12:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Going to paint 3d gashes around the walls where the blades would hit?  
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:20:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Going to paint 3d gashes around the walls where the blades would hit?  
View Quote
I'm worried we may need to carve gashes into the walls just to make them fit.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:23:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah. Looks good. Guess how long it took to torque all those bolts on the swashplate. Star shaped pattern and 3 specific torques to hit on all of them

Aviator
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:25:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Very cool. Even got the Bifilers on the rotor head. Someplace I have a whole box of the titanium bolts used to attach the spindles on the head.

Aviator
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:29:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 8:33:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Dustoff is C Co, 6-101 AVN.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:52:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You said Plexiglass twice....

What are you using to cut it with?

If jigsaw, can you put stiff cardboard so the saw blade is pulling between cardboard/thin wood, hitting Strong Tape with Good stickum, through th eglass, with 2 teeth in the glass all the time, out the strong tape with good stickum on top, then repeating, while moving ever so slowly?

--ETA:  Her job on the tail football looks GREAT, and I'm glad to see the punch employed on the holes in case rivets show up someday.
View Quote
cut it with a Dremel. this will melt it, rather than crack/chip
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:32:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Alright, experts.....

What color are normal C company 101st Blackhawks?   flat OD green?  Flat black?  Somewhere in between?    They seem to all be different in pictures.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:45:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

+35.00 for more plexiglass

$2453.00. Total as of 1/21/19.
View Quote
+95.00   Crew members, and 2000 more rivets

$2,548.00  Total as of 1/22/19    So much for that 1200-1500 budget forcast at the beginning, huh.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:53:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Alright, experts.....

What color are normal C company 101st Blackhawks?   flat OD green?  Flat black?  Somewhere in between?    They seem to all be different in pictures.
View Quote
Dark OD

This is a good indicator.  Dark OD/Gray but patchy
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 4:34:40 PM EDT
[#46]
You may be able to get the paint code somewhere, but my oldest son painted his Toyota pickup Blackhawk Green with No. 157 paint from here:

http://www.nelsonpaint.com/q17-gl-pigment.html
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 6:02:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 6:19:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 9:43:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Sherwin Williams mix, possibly modify, I don't know how to translate their mixer info into ratios.

1 gallon Ultra Deep Base 640118709
BAC Colorant
G2 New Green 6 oz + 11/32
R2 Maroon 2 oz + 3/32 + 1/64
Y3 Deep Gold 2 oz + 28/32
W1 White 24/32 only

Full list of different Versions of Olive Drab with some recipies in various formats

I mixed some by eye with basic colors, but it was for a one off, better write down ratios in mixing cups if doing it in acrylic.   I started with an emerald green, then dumped in compliments until I got to the shade that looked right.  That was over 15 years ago, but it was some starting point like that.

Use epoxy cups to measure and make a pint, if it's the right oclor, try to make one with the written down colors and repeat.  Bascially, how the paint store does it when they screw up your match.
View Quote
I've got Kensington Clark paint at ACE Hardware for paint.  

Any idea what matches up with their color patches?  I'm going down there tomorrow to grab some white, OD'ish green, and another can of Marine One green.
Page / 56
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top