Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 8:36:56 AM EDT
[#1]
If it was up to the experts of GD,these guys should just go ahead and dig holes and jump on in. Going up against ISIS armed with a SCAR,shotgun and 5.7 pistols...pretty much good as dead when that kind of equipment won't even let a man survive a trip to Walmart these days,poor bastards

Link Posted: 9/7/2017 10:22:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Why isn't there 5.7 AR that feeds from a mag?

Like with the mag well.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:20:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Like with the mag well.
View Quote
I suppose it's possible to make an AR lower and upper that utilize FiveseveN mags.

But the beauty of the AR57 is that it uses a standard AR15 lower. The only downside I guess is the minimum length of the handguard.

ETA: Might as well just design a whole new PCC in that case, like the Sig MPX for 9mm.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:53:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Like with the mag well.
View Quote
I think because there is already a solution out in the wild and it holds a sizable quantity of ammunition.

Then it ejects down through the magwell so if you put an AR magazine in there without the follower and spring, it will just fill up the body.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:57:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think because there is already a solution out in the wild and it holds a sizable quantity of ammunition.

Then it ejects down through the magwell so if you put an AR magazine in there without the follower and spring, it will just fill up the body.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like with the mag well.

Just to clarify, you do need to cut the feed lips off an AR mag to use as a brass catcher. But it is another nice feature!
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:32:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Exactly...

Commonality of rather elegant, highly refined, 50 rd mags.

I can't imagine the design, testing and tooling costs for these mags.

I hunted for my 5-7 upper last night and can't find it...  
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 7:03:15 PM EDT
[#7]
nobody is arguing the efficacy of the 5.7. it has better ballistics, lighter weight, more capacity, etc.

the disadvantages are the supersonic crack. 9mm is a good candidate for suppression and 5.7 is less so. granted there is subsonic 5.7 but it performs less well than 9mm. especially for close ranges, where a pistol round would be deployed and where there is likely to be other people. speaking of suppression, 9mm suppressor are widespread and have a lot of companies with a lot of time tuning 9mm suppressors to optimal. while there are a few suppressors for 57, the niche round makes it harder to invest the resources.

the other disadvantage is availability. i'm sure your lgs has boxes all the time. say during a crisis the police need help suppressing looters. once you're out of 5.7 you have to go home. and you will be spending your money to use your gun. everyone who has 9mm can spend government funded ammo and use their gun. this is inside of the USA. outside of the USA, this is even more true - with almost every army in the world fielding 9mm and almost no army supplying 5.7 (yes there are exceptions). this translates to visiting friends as well. if you drive to another state to visit, will their gun shop stock 5.7? i know all of the gun shops near my friends all stock 9mm. if some elite 0perat0r were teaching a class in vegas, for example. i know every gun shop and the class itself will stock 9mm. i don't know that it would stock 57. some classes include price of ammunition - in most pistol calibers.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 7:23:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

nobody is arguing the efficacy of the 5.7. it has better ballistics, lighter weight, more capacity, etc.

the disadvantages are the supersonic crack. 9mm is a good candidate for suppression and 5.7 is less so. granted there is subsonic 5.7 but it performs less well than 9mm. especially for close ranges, where a pistol round would be deployed and where there is likely to be other people. speaking of suppression, 9mm suppressor are widespread and have a lot of companies with a lot of time tuning 9mm suppressors to optimal. while there are a few suppressors for 57, the niche round makes it harder to invest the resources.

the other disadvantage is availability. i'm sure your lgs has boxes all the time. say during a crisis the police need help suppressing looters. once you're out of 5.7 you have to go home. and you will be spending your money to use your gun. everyone who has 9mm can spend government funded ammo and use their gun. this is inside of the USA. outside of the USA, this is even more true - with almost every army in the world fielding 9mm and almost no army supplying 5.7 (yes there are exceptions). this translates to visiting friends as well. if you drive to another state to visit, will their gun shop stock 5.7? i know all of the gun shops near my friends all stock 9mm. if some elite 0perat0r were teaching a class in vegas, for example. i know every gun shop and the class itself will stock 9mm. i don't know that it would stock 57. some classes include price of ammunition - in most pistol calibers.
View Quote
" say during a crisis the police need help suppressing looters. once you're out of 5.7 you have to go home. and you will be spending your money to use your gun. everyone who has 9mm can spend government funded ammo and use their gun."

If that happens I think I will have died and gone to heaven.

Link Posted: 9/7/2017 7:27:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Wait...you really think that if the police came and said "dear Arf member,we need help shooting looters" that having to use personal ammunition is somehow a stumbling block? There are 100,000  people holding a billion rounds of ammo on here waiting for the off chance that rioting occurs in their small town whose largest civil disturbance was a football game brawl in 1977.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 8:09:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Wait...you really think that if the police came and said "dear Arf member,we need help shooting looters" that having to use personal ammunition is somehow a stumbling block? There are 100,000  people holding a billion rounds of ammo on here waiting for the off chance that rioting occurs in their small town whose largest civil disturbance was a football game brawl in 1977.
View Quote
Most of us can afford $10 or so to shoot looters...

Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:26:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:42:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's my AR57. Still waiting on the suppressor, but here is what she looks like currently.

Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:47:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't know about the rest of you but my MINIMUM stock of FN SS198LF is Two Thousand rounds, that doesn't include the practice crap (FN SS197 & Federal AE)

If I need more than Two Thousand rounds I guess I can resort to one of my AR's and the Ten Thousand rounds of 5.56x45.
View Quote
Piker...

Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:53:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I've only got about 1500 in 5.7.

I make up for it with 50,000 or so 5.56.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 10:41:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Here's my AR57. Still waiting on the suppressor, but here is what she looks like currently.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57761/20170907_203513-301753.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57761/20170907_203532-301758.jpg
View Quote
I can't wait for your suppressor
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 10:52:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't know about the rest of you but my MINIMUM stock of FN SS198LF is Two Thousand rounds, that doesn't include the practice crap (FN SS197 & Federal AE)

If I need more than Two Thousand rounds I guess I can resort to one of my AR's and the Ten Thousand rounds of 5.56x45.
View Quote
I'm with you Pursuit. I keep roughly 5,000 of SS198 and 5,000 of SS197 on hand. Buy it while it's still cheap because if we go through another scare it dries up and what's left is insanely priced.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:07:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:26:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What pisses me off is OMB Guns "going under".

The MASTER L.E. Distributor for the country was 70 miles from me and I was buying SS198LF for a hell of a lot less than anywhere else has it. A plus was it was current freshly imported ammo.
View Quote
What about MGW......they had 2,000 for $1025 which was the lowest I've been able to get it for.

ETA. looks like they are sold out right now.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:51:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:51:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Here are mine:

On the ar57 upper, Had the 16" barrel cut down to be right at the hand guard to use my old aac m4 1000 suppressor.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 10:02:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'll make one more post in regards to the 5.7x28's terminal ballistics. I take anything that comes from Doctor Roberts as gospel, as he is one of the foremost experts in terminal ballistics in the world.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4338-Small-Caliber-PDW-s-FN-5-7-mm-HK-4-6-mm
View Quote
No he isn't.

I've read that Doc Roberts nonsense for 15 years on this forum now. Its a joke.

Where is his actual data? You cry "anecdotal" to one anyone who makes a counter claim based on actual shootings, but amazingly you consider Robert's words "gospel" on 5.7 when it is based on THREE alleged shootings with no details provided whatsoever 

I'm not impressed. Peddle that bullshit elsewhere.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 11:33:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Here are mine:

On the ar57 upper, Had the 16" barrel cut down to be right at the hand guard to use my old aac m4 1000 suppressor.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/68932/20170908_072302__800x450_-301994.JPG
View Quote
Very nice! Another Gen1
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 11:40:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 11:44:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Lovin' all of the made up scenarios to dissuade people from getting a 5.7x28 firearm. Look up videos on how the bullets perform from various manufactures, look up other hard data and make up your own mind on how effective it is. Also here's a fun fact that pertains to all firearms and calibers...they don't need to have a purpose to want it or have fun shooting it.

ETA: I'm picking up a PS90 in about an hour. Anyone know a place that sells Gould targets?
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 12:20:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Subsonic 5.7 doesn't make sense to me, but YMMV. With blowback designs I don't think it'd cycle reliably, and if I want to shoot a 22 caliber subsonic round and have it be quiet, I have a 22LR and suppressor for that.

Out of a suppressor 5.7 is surprisingly nice. No amount of suppressor tuning can get rid of the breaking of the sound barrier. If I'm shooting subsonic, I want a heavier bullet. Again, YMMV. My Osprey, Hybrid, and GM45 suppresses 5.7 nicely.

The police aren't even going to ask you to help them shoot looters.

And they damned sure aren't going to give you ammunition to do it with.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 4:41:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 4:45:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

LOL
And your qualifications are what?
View Quote
He probably gut-shot some critter and it ran away, must be the gun's fault.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 4:51:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
LOL

Dr. Roberts is currently on staff at Stanford University Medical Center; this is a large teaching hospital and Level I Trauma center were he performs hospital dentistry
and surgery.  After completing his residency at Navy Hospital Oakland in 1989 while on active military duty, he studied at the Army Wound Ballistic Research Laboratory
at the Letterman Army Institute of Research and became one of the first members of the International Wound Ballistic Association.  Since then, he has been tasked with
performing military, law enforcement, and privately funded independent wound ballistic testing and analysis.  He remains a Navy Reserve officer and has recently served
on the Joint Service Wound Ballistic IPT, as well as being a consultant to the Joint FBI-USMC munitions testing program and the TSWG MURG program. He is frequently asked
to provide wound ballistic technical assistance to numerous U.S. and allied SOF units and organizations.
In addition, he is a technical advisor to the Association of Firearms and Toolmark Examiners, as well as to a variety of Federal, State, and municipal law enforcement
agencies.  He has been a sworn Reserve Police Officer in the San Francisco Bay Area, where he now he serves in an LE training role.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No he isn't.

I've read that Doc Roberts nonsense for 15 years on this forum now. Its a joke.

Where is his actual data? You cry "anecdotal" to one anyone who makes a counter claim based on actual shootings, but amazingly you consider Robert's words "gospel" on 5.7 when it is based on THREE alleged shootings with no details provided whatsoever 

I'm not impressed. Peddle that bullshit elsewhere.
LOL

Dr. Roberts is currently on staff at Stanford University Medical Center; this is a large teaching hospital and Level I Trauma center were he performs hospital dentistry
and surgery.  After completing his residency at Navy Hospital Oakland in 1989 while on active military duty, he studied at the Army Wound Ballistic Research Laboratory
at the Letterman Army Institute of Research and became one of the first members of the International Wound Ballistic Association.  Since then, he has been tasked with
performing military, law enforcement, and privately funded independent wound ballistic testing and analysis.  He remains a Navy Reserve officer and has recently served
on the Joint Service Wound Ballistic IPT, as well as being a consultant to the Joint FBI-USMC munitions testing program and the TSWG MURG program. He is frequently asked
to provide wound ballistic technical assistance to numerous U.S. and allied SOF units and organizations.
In addition, he is a technical advisor to the Association of Firearms and Toolmark Examiners, as well as to a variety of Federal, State, and municipal law enforcement
agencies.  He has been a sworn Reserve Police Officer in the San Francisco Bay Area, where he now he serves in an LE training role.

My qualifications are:

I am someone who knows the difference between data and bullshit.

And you didn't bring any data to the 5.7 debate, and neither did Roberts.

The claim that 5.56x45mm is superior to 5.7x28mm is completely a ridiculous strawman. Nobody has ever claimed otherwise.

5.7 is however, an effective killer, and its performance on ballistic gel and flesh is excellent for what it is.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 5:07:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 5:23:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I can tell you that after 32 years (several as a CLEO) that your statement is quite correct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The police aren't even going to ask you to help them shoot looters.

And they damned sure aren't going to give you ammunition to do it with.
I can tell you that after 32 years (several as a CLEO) that your statement is quite correct.
Hell No!  I ain't giving away ammo or sharing any lootershooter targets!

Those looties are all mine!LOL
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 5:29:18 PM EDT
[#32]
For those that have the ps90, is it ergonomic? How is the trigger? And how is it mounting optics with that height over bore? I'd like an MRO on there or something.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 6:40:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
For those that have the ps90, is it ergonomic? How is the trigger? And how is it mounting optics with that height over bore? I'd like an MRO on there or something.
View Quote
I just picked up mine today. I can say that the factory rail with peep sight isn't as high as I thought it would be. I could get a cheek weld with the factory rail, but I'm still going to put on a lower top rail just to get my red dot as low as possible. The trigger actually feels incredibly light. I haven't put my pull gauge on it, but I don't see any need for trigger work. Ergos are fantastic. It looks weird in a picture, but it balances well, is comfortable to hold and is quite light.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:09:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:14:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

My first thought when I first saw one was "What planet do you have to be from for that to fit?"

The ergonomics are actually damn nice.

As to the trigger, typical bullpup, crappy! There are "fixes" for it. Promoted Pawn offers a trigger job that reduces both travel and weight by 50%, there are also other "fixes".

I can HIGHLY recommend the TROS mount. I have one mounting an Aimpoint M3 and it looks like it grew there. It's the same mount and Red Dot used by Secret Service.
View Quote
I already have the low rail sold by MPF Technology on it's way. I'm just going to throw one of my TR-25s on there I have laying around. I don't know if I want to invest in another Aimpoint red dot atm. I'm still shocked I talked myself into buying an Aimpoint M4s years ago.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:34:02 PM EDT
[#36]
I should have bought a ps90 when I could for a good price.

Bama's ps90 sbr is what I would want

Hope he posts his in this thread
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:46:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Like with the mag well.
View Quote
That's one of my dream guns.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 9:29:56 PM EDT
[#38]
I don't have anything relevant to add except that the PS90 in sbr form is awesome suppressed. The Aimpoint helps too.

Link Posted: 9/8/2017 9:57:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 10:14:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My qualifications are:

The claim that 5.56x45mm is superior to 5.7x28mm is completely a ridiculous strawman. Nobody has ever claimed otherwise.

5.7 is however, an effective killer, and its performance on ballistic gel and flesh is excellent for what it is.
View Quote
I have grown to respect, then like, and even desire the 5.7.
However, the Ft. Hood shootings are not the be-all-end-all some 5.7 advocates claim it is.
As I posted earlier on the thread, a number of unsupported conclusions have been drawn based off of the Hood shooting.
100% fatality for COM shots?  A prime example. One of the men who charged the attacker was shot 12 times, including when he was on the ground.
Many others shot COM were also shot repeatedly, and then more when down. The attacker fired over 140 rounds IIRC.

With that said, Roberts was off in that he only tested maybe one type of ammo vs. several others. I was on another forum where a 5.7 advocate challenged him and he backed off.
He admitted the info he had was based off of old information and not newer ammo/info. He even said he would no longer comment on the 5.7 until he had personally tested and acquired new info.
He retired before doing so.
The 5.7 punches above it's weight and has some definite advantages over larger calibers.
And no, I am not trying to pay it down the middle. It's just that based off available info, it's capabilities seem to be between what the devout advocates claim, and what the devout disbelievers claim.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 12:35:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
However, the Ft. Hood shootings are not the be-all-end-all some 5.7 advocates claim it is.
As I posted earlier on the thread, a number of unsupported conclusions have been drawn based off of the Hood shooting.
100% fatality for COM shots?  A prime example. One of the men who charged the attacker was shot 12 times, including when he was on the ground.
Many others shot COM were also shot repeatedly, and then more when down. The attacker fired over 140 rounds IIRC.

With that said, Roberts was off in that he only tested maybe one type of ammo vs. several others. I was on another forum where a 5.7 advocate challenged him and he backed off.
He admitted the info he had was based off of old information and not newer ammo/info. He even said he would no longer comment on the 5.7 until he had personally tested and acquired new info.
The 5.7 punches above it's weight and has some definite advantages over larger calibers.
And no, I am not trying to pay it down the middle. It's just that based off available info, it's capabilities seem to be between what the devout advocates claim, and what the devout disbelievers claim.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My qualifications are:

Agreed.

Unless you're a superoperator, isn't it more important how you train, rather than actual equipment? Sure, gear/gun/caliber are at the core. But I'd trust a dude wearing cheap chicom shit and some weird caliber with thousands of rounds downrange and a bunch of training under his belt over some other dude that's a couch commando with all the "right" gear that doesn't know the difference between the muzzle and the butt.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 12:49:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
5.7>9mm>.45

Velocity, range, capacity, recoil. What's not to like?

No, I don't have a FiveseveN, but I shot one and loved it. I just don't have the funds.

My 12" AR57 is freakin' awesome though. I like it better than my three 5.56 ARs of various lengths. 50 rounds up on top of the handguard is really sweet

It's my current HD "rifle" (I have a Phase5 padded buffer tube, no brace needed).

Bring the hate!
View Quote

It is far too expensive on ammo.  It's also very hard to handload because the cases are coated with some secret squirrel dry lube that often gets lost if you clean the cases.  It's a shame, because you can use a hollowed out magazine body to catch spent brass in so you wouldn't lose them.  I'd consider getting a PS90 if it were chambered in 22 TCM, since it's not a giant pain to handload, giving you cheap ammo.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 1:47:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Just ordered 500 rds of the American eagle and 500 of the blue tipped FN stuff.  Thank goodness for PSA and the sale. ??
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 2:05:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Just ordered 500 rds of the American eagle and 500 of the blue tipped FN stuff.  Thank goodness for PSA and the sale. ??
View Quote
Damn straight! My LGS has SS197 for $22/box, I thought it was a great deal until I got the PSA email a few months ago.

LGS at my folks' place charges $38/box.
And they stock less than a case at a time.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 3:08:44 AM EDT
[#45]
I have succumbed.  Classic sold me an AR57 upper for $650 + shipping.  The Lyndon will be tested after Harvey, perhaps after Irma, perhaps after Jose...
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:42:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have succumbed.  Classic sold me an AR57 upper for $650 + shipping.  The Lyndon will be tested after Harvey, perhaps after Irma, perhaps after Jose...
View Quote
Welcome to the club! 

Where are you going to test it at?

If you need magazines, Midwest Gun Works has 5 packs of the 30rd FN mags for $49.99.  They are super easy to convert to 50rd mags, you just snip the mag block off the retainer plate and put it back together.  The bodies are even labeled through the 50rd mark.
http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/PS90MAGPAK5
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:55:06 AM EDT
[#47]
I just wish someone came up with a p90 in 5.56,... I know the mag horizontally would be longer,... but I don't care.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:10:48 AM EDT
[#48]
What does the AR57 bolt look like? Wondering if it can be machined to work with a lightning link??  
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:43:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Welcome to the club! 

Where are you going to test it at?

If you need magazines, Midwest Gun Works has 5 packs of the 30rd FN mags for $49.99.  They are super easy to convert to 50rd mags, you just snip the mag block off the retainer plate and put it back together.  The bodies are even labeled through the 50rd mark.
http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/PS90MAGPAK5
View Quote
Probably one of the indoor ranges close to me.  Gotta get some ammo and get back from Harvey 1st.  Thanks for the mag link.  Why were they made as 30 rounders?  For Illinois or something?
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:46:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What does the AR57 bolt look like? Wondering if it can be machined to work with a lightning link??  
View Quote
I believe it could be.  Here is the semi auto bolt.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top