BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 41
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 7:43:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oh hey USGS set up an actual live stream at the summit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlP-8JiKOS8
View Quote
Probably a stupid question but can you walk up to that summit now? or is it too hot, too unstable or something else?...... besides the fact that it can blow any second
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Probably a stupid question but can you walk up to that summit now? or is it too hot, too unstable or something else?...... besides the fact that it can blow any second
View Quote
Besides the fact that the area is closed due to it can blow any second...

Yes you could walk up to it.  It's not too hot... it might be unstable... but you won't know how unstable until weight is applied to the area...
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 8:13:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Give it a shot. Take pics
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:13:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I just had an idea for a single crust cherry pie, except topped with dark chocolate chips as soon as you take it out of the oven, so they melt.

Pahoehoe pie.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:15:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
The USGS is still working at the HVO but the park is closed to the public.

Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow, the volcano accidentally the whole thing.

Houses, roads, ponds, the bay, like it was never there.
Such a shame.

That said, if my house was there I would probably rather it burned then be one of the few left standing. No beach anymore, no access, no utilities. Now pretty much useless.

Gonna guess most of these people don't bother sending in their mortgage payment this month.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:46:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

https://www.nps.gov/havo/images/PIO_ansi_8_5x11_land_20180521_KilaueaEEA_NP18051727_960.jpg?maxwidth=1200&autorotate=false
View Quote
I didn't realize Hwy 11 was still open, I may have to go on a road trip when I get home next week.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:51:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:53:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Such a shame.

That said, if my house was there I would probably rather it burned then be one of the few left standing. No beach anymore, no access, no utilities. Now pretty much useless.

Gonna guess most of these people don't bother sending in their mortgage payment this month.
View Quote
Don't know about HI and how it works there, but here you have to keep paying if you want the insurance.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:54:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I didn't realize Hwy 11 was still open, I may have to go on a road trip when I get home next week.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.nps.gov/havo/images/PIO_ansi_8_5x11_land_20180521_KilaueaEEA_NP18051727_960.jpg?maxwidth=1200&autorotate=false
I got that from the national park website.

I was surprised it said it was still open.

I'm not sure if that info is up to date or not.

I hope it is though.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 10:34:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
They've relocated to Hilo after their building got damaged by the earthquakes.  They do occasionally go up to check on things but they aren't working out of there anymore.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 10:38:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I hope it is though.
View Quote
yeah 11 is open.  And the housing up there ... volcano village... has not been evacuated.  The golf course in that picture earlier in the thread with the ash plume in the background is still open.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 10:57:03 PM EDT
[#13]
So, as the 'spatter cone' around that fissure grows will it eventually be high enough to slow or stop the lava from flowing out? Will the magma/lava just fill it up until it overflows? I guess I'm sort of interested in the dynamics of the whole thing. Volcanologists help me out here.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 11:06:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I hope it is though.
View Quote
I'll post pics if it is.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 11:09:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'll post pics if it is.
View Quote
Awesome, me too.

We'll probably be there at the same time, lol.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 11:10:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So, as the 'spatter cone' around that fissure grows will it eventually be high enough to slow or stop the lava from flowing out? Will the magma/lava just fill it up until it overflows? I guess I'm sort of interested in the dynamics of the whole thing. Volcanologists help me out here.
View Quote
Remember the old cone with the lake that evaporated? It will look like that - high walls with an opening on one side where the lava was flowing out. Pretty much looks like that now, just smaller.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 11:11:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
yes and no.  That's basically what the entire island of Hawaii was for the lava lake at the main crater...  A wide cone built up so high there wasn't enough pressure to push it up and out.

But the spatter cone at 8 is mostly wind driven to the South West of it... leaving the side it's flowing out of without any significant build up.  So... pretty much no matter how tall it gets... it won't have any effect on the flow.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 11:11:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Pele's ANGRY.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 11:18:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I love to watch pahoehoe flowing. It's the most hypnotic thing ever. the gooey goo and the crust.

Don't want to live in HI, because I'm a snow guy. But *Butthead voice* Syrupy and copious lava is cool...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
look how fast that stuff is flowing from the fissure
I love to watch pahoehoe flowing. It's the most hypnotic thing ever. the gooey goo and the crust.

Don't want to live in HI, because I'm a snow guy. But *Butthead voice* Syrupy and copious lava is cool...
I believe it snows in Hawaii.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 11:26:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Such a shame.

View Quote
Drop a few matches in key locations in the house is what i would do

Link Posted: 6/5/2018 11:37:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Diio2T80YM
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 11:47:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Besides the fact that the area is closed due to it can blow any second...

Yes you could walk up to it.  It's not too hot... it might be unstable... but you won't know how unstable until weight is applied to the area...
Thanks for the explanation
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 12:08:23 AM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Diio2T80YM
Well, there you go.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 12:32:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Aerial view into Halema‘uma‘u  AKA the main crater.

Link Posted: 6/6/2018 1:37:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/observatories/hvo/multimedia_uploads/multimediaFile-2178.jpg
View Quote
I saw that when they posted it.. that is a freaking cool photo.  that is not gonna buff out.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 2:59:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mauna Kea gets snow every year.

Thats the way I like it, sit on my lanai drinking a mai tai and looking at that white shit waaaaay over there.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 3:57:38 AM EDT
[#27]
I found it interesting that people were surprised by a "catastrophe" when they lived in a bowl, below sea level, next to the sea.  The level of my perplexation of thought processes continues to rise as individuals who live on an active volcano experience "unforseen" cataclysms.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 4:09:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I found it interesting that people were surprised by a "catastrophe" when they lived in a bowl, below sea level, next to the sea.  The level of my perplexation of thought processes continues to rise as individuals who live on an active volcano experience .
View Quote
You mean like people in tornado alleys experience "unforseen" cataclysms?

Or people in Florida, the east coast and the Gulf that get hurricanes experience "unforseen" cataclysms?

Or people in upstate New York and other parts of New England subject to blizzards experience "unforseen" cataclysms?

Or people in southern California subject to drought and wildfires experience "unforseen" cataclysms?

Or people in.........
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 4:12:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Or people in Florida, the east coast and the Gulf that get hurricanes experience "unforseen" cataclysms?

Or people in upstate New York and other parts of New England subject to blizzards experience "unforseen" cataclysms?

Or people in southern California subject to drought and wildfires experience "unforseen" cataclysms?

Or people in.........
View Quote
Yes.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 4:21:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
@itstock

The supreme court decided it in 1977 and said the state owns all new land.

State by Kobayashi v. Zimring
View Quote
I'm not an attorney and I've not read the case, but I'm guessing that applies to newly created lands not yet patented. I don't see how any previously deeded lands that have new 'topsoil' blown in could be contested.

Alluvion and accretion are used synonymously to describe the addition of soil by gradual deposit. Usually along waterways. The land that is deposited as a result of accretion is known as alluvion, and riparian owners gain title to the deposited alluvion. This alluvion may result from natural forces or artificial forces, such as the construction of jetties upland.

I'm guessing the same principles would apply to accretion by lava flow...if the land was previously patented and has a clear chain of title. New land created by lava flowing into the ocean and not deeded by patent would belong to the state.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 8:23:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/observatories/hvo/multimedia_uploads/multimediaFile-2178.jpg
View Quote
That's a lot of subsidence.

Can't wait to see more pics.

If all that shifts and plugs the hole, I wonder how long it will be until the lava lake reappears?

Months, years, decades, centuries?
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 8:33:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Here is kind of a before and after.

Landscape completely changed.

Link Posted: 6/6/2018 8:38:10 AM EDT
[#33]
What is the size of the features in those crater images. TY.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 10:20:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Do the scientists think they know if the two events are connected?
You can see the fissures all line up, I heard the term intrusive dike.
Not a geologist but I know what that is.  
Is the subsidence at the summit the result of the fissures funneling away the magma pool supporting the caldera?
Or is the collapse of the caldera and the plugging of the throat is causing the magma to pool under pressure, creating the dike that leads to the fissures?
Did Pele go full ARFCOM and get both?
This is fascinating and horrifying, looking at the volcanic mountains in the distance
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 10:39:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't know exact numbers but it is big, as in acres big.
Impressive as hell to see in person (was there about 10 years ago).
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 10:54:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Was there in January 2017. The larger crater rim could encompass a small craft airstrip. It is big.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 11:13:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Crater is around 1/2 to 2/3rds of a mile across.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 11:17:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Wonder what made that semi-circular track to the right of the crater, shown in the second pic. My guess is aliens...
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Or people in.........
View Quote
I don't know many people here that find blizzards cataclysmic
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 11:25:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm not an attorney and I've not read the case, but I'm guessing that applies to newly created lands not yet patented. I don't see how any previously deeded lands that have new 'topsoil' blown in could be contested.

Alluvion and accretion are used synonymously to describe the addition of soil by gradual deposit. Usually along waterways. The land that is deposited as a result of accretion is known as alluvion, and riparian owners gain title to the deposited alluvion. This alluvion may result from natural forces or artificial forces, such as the construction of jetties upland.

I'm guessing the same principles would apply to accretion by lava flow...if the land was previously patented and has a clear chain of title. New land created by lava flowing into the ocean and not deeded by patent would belong to the state.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@itstock

You are correct, its new land that extends into the ocean.  A family owned two plots of land and there was an eruption with lava flowing into the ocean creating new land attached to theirs. Something like 18 addition acres.   After a number of years they started planting trees and developing this new land.  Hawaii said no you dont own it.  It went to the supreme court and the supreme court ruled for the reason you noted; undeeded land belongs to the state and doesnt get attached to private property owners.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 11:27:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Wonder what made that semi-circular track to the right of the crater, shown in the second pic. My guess is aliens...
View Quote
Pretty sure it is a parking lot.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 12:02:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, the closed it in 2009 or something like that.  used to be the crater viewpoint within the caldera.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 12:38:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I don't know many people here that find blizzards cataclysmic
View Quote
Ever been in northern Alabama when they get an inch of snow?

Didn't think so.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 1:17:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You are correct, its new land that extends into the ocean.  A family owned two plots of land and there was an eruption with lava flowing into the ocean creating new land attached to theirs. Something like 18 addition acres.   After a number of years they started planting trees and developing this new land.  Hawaii said no you dont own it.  It went to the supreme court and the supreme court ruled for the reason you noted; undeeded land belongs to the state and doesnt get attached to private property owners.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@itstock

So if you have a non-waterfront parcel and it gets covered by lava, you still own the entire parcel. The boundaries as defined by GPS coordinates are unchanged.

If you own waterfront property - even if your deed reads "the the mean high water line" or similar - you still own X acres and if lava extends the land so that the waterline is now hundreds of yards farther away... You do not gain acreage. And you lose your waterfront. On one hand I think that's fucked up - I own to the high water mark, so I still own to the high water mark. If all that filled in was 20' of sand, nobody would dispute the claim. Now that it's 500' of lava, all of a sudden I no longer own to the water? That's not cool.

I can see both sides of the argument. Buying property in an area where there have been multiple lava flows every century for thousands of years is a risky proposition.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 1:18:47 PM EDT
[#45]
LOTS of steam at Kilauea.

Live Stream - Kilauea Volcano
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 1:21:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
So if you have a non-waterfront parcel and it gets covered by lava, you still own the entire parcel. The boundaries as defined by GPS coordinates are unchanged.

If you own waterfront property - even if your deed reads "the the mean high water line" or similar - you still own X acres and if lava extends the land so that the waterline is now hundreds of yards farther away... You do not gain acreage. And you lose your waterfront. On one hand I think that's fucked up - I own to the high water mark, so I still own to the high water mark. If all that filled in was 20' of sand, nobody would dispute the claim. Now that it's 500' of lava, all of a sudden I no longer own to the water? That's not cool.

I can see both sides of the argument. Buying property in an area where there have been multiple lava flows every century for thousands of years is a risky proposition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@itstock

Just take the insurance pay out, hell what was you land is now under 20 feet of solid lava rock.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 1:37:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Many of those homes were not insured, or at least not insured against lava. Property insurance & mortgages in the less stable regions of Hawaii are not like most places. The island has something like 9 different zones and depending on your zone you may not be insurable at all.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 1:40:48 PM EDT
[#48]
I added the kilauea livestream to the first post incase anyone wanted to find it quickly.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 1:46:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
LOTS of steam at Kilauea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlP-8JiKOS8
View Quote
You’re not kidding!

Any guesstimates on how far down a line would go if dropped down the crater? obviously assuming no heat etc etc
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Many of those homes were not insured, or at least not insured against lava. Property insurance & mortgages in the less stable regions of Hawaii are not like most places. The island has something like 9 different zones and depending on your zone you may not be insurable at all.
View Quote
That kind of foolish on the homeowners part, to have a home with your entire life in it and knowingly not have the insurance for it. I don't care how bad someone wants to live in an certain area.  That's just stupidity.
Page / 41
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top