BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 28
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 8:04:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, since galaxy season is here, I ordered a new scope.

At first I ordered an Explore Scientific 152mm Maksutov Newtonian, a 730mm F4.3 scope, but when it arrived the secondary was tilted and when I went to collimate it, I found that the corrector lens was very loose and easy to turn by hand.

I sent the scope back and was going to just get a replacement.  BUT, a little more pocket money arrived and I ordered a Skywatcher MN190 Maksutov Newtonian instead, it is a 1000mm F5.2 scope.   This will work a lot better for smaller objects and is further away from my 560mm scope in focal length.

From the photos I've seen on Astrobin, the optics look to be extremely good.  I won't be able to use it for a while though since storm systems and clouds seem to be parked right over my back yard for the foreseeable future
View Quote
@Sixgunner45

Thats a really cool scope, look forward to seeing what you come up with.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 8:08:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Well my ES80 is getting recollimated right now and cleaned so I'm out of commission for the next week or so.   I also got on a waiting list for the new William Optics Redcat, I'll wanted a very wide field scope that I can use for travel, I'll probably get a skywatcher tracker too, whatever the little tripod mounted thing is called.

I been thinking long term what I want to do as well and first up is new mount, has to have a belt drive or I'm not even going to consider it, I've also been thinking about getting a Rasa 8 because they look amazing.   At first I wasn't really interested in them but as I've researched them I'm not on the bandwagon
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 10:39:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, those RASAs look very interesting!

My only problem with them is you can't use a filter wheel.  You will have to install each filter by hand in a filter holder.  I also think the filter holder only accepts 2" filters, but there might be an adapter for that.

F2 also needs specialized short focal length filters from what I've read.

30 second unguided subs and being able to image multiple targets per night might make it all worth it though!
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yeah, those RASAs look very interesting!

My only problem with them is you can't use a filter wheel.  You will have to install each filter by hand in a filter holder.  I also think the filter holder only accepts 2" filters, but there might be an adapter for that.

F2 also needs specialized short focal length filters from what I've read.

30 second unguided subs and being able to image multiple targets per night might make it all worth it though!
View Quote
At first the lack of filter wheel was a big turn off but really I would just use one filter per night, so not a huge deal.    you are correct about the filters, they are for fast scopes.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 1:59:43 PM EDT
[#5]
With the ASI1600MM PRO, how many image pixels are you guys dithering and how often are you applying the dither?
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 2:33:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
With the ASI1600MM PRO, how many image pixels are you guys dithering and how often are you applying the dither?
View Quote
With your scope you can do a small dither, with a wild scope like the 80mm I do a large to extreme dither.   I dither every two frames.  If you are doing hours and hours on one target it is ok to dither every 2-3 frames.

I have an example somewhere of my own shots that show the difference in one hour of ha data dithered and undithered.   I'll post it if I can find it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 2:51:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
With your scope you can do a small dither, with a wild scope like the 80mm I do a large to extreme dither.   I dither every two frames.  If you are doing hours and hours on one target it is ok to dither every 2-3 frames.

I have an example somewhere of my own shots that show the difference in one hour of ha data dithered and undithered.   I'll post it if I can find it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Ciraxis

Thanks for the info.
When I imaged M101 the other night I hadn't really calculated my guide/image scale.
My guide/image scope ratio with the SCT is 1 to 5.69 and I was dithering an APT value of 4 with a PHD2 scale of 3 for an image dither of 68.28 pixels and I was dithering every frame!!!!
The dithering and settle time was taking way more time than the 120 second exposure!
I have now set my dithering down to 12 image pixels and applied every other frame.
It looks like the weather may cooperate enough for me to set up again tonight and give that a try.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 9:42:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been having some problems with my neighbors occasionally turning on their back yard lights, which of course is causing more light pollution problems.
Tonight I'm going to try out a scope shade that I built out of black construction paper just to see if it works (I don't want to spend the bucks on an Astrozap if it doesn't work).
My main concerns will be image vignette and interference with my rear mounted guide scope.
The length of the shade is 1.5 times the aperture.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 9:35:12 AM EDT
[#9]
@AZ_sky

How did it go last night?
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 2:29:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
@AZ_sky

How did it go last night?
View Quote
Well, I guess it was a mixed bag...
Changing the dither settings definitely helped with the problem I was having with the dithering time so that problem is fixed.
The scope shade that I built helped block out the neighbors back yard light without causing any vignette or interference with my guide scope.

Even though the skies were pretty clear last night I guess there was some upper atmosphere disturbances that was causing some seeing problems that screwed with my guiding, especially dec tracking.
And the Moon was washing out my exposures so my images weren't as nice as I liked.
I tried getting some Ha images but apparently I have to spend some time figuring out camera gain and offset because using the same setting for Ha as I did for LRGB resulted in nothing but total black useless images - so that was a wasted hour of imaging.

Overall, I managed to get about another half hour of LRGB to add to my previous night out but that's about all I accomplished.
The next time out I'll tinker with the exposure to figure out how to get some Ha narrowband data.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 5:33:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Well, I guess it was a mixed bag...
Changing the dither settings definitely helped with the problem I was having with the dithering time so that problem is fixed.
The scope shade that I built helped block out the neighbors back yard light without causing any vignette or interference with my guide scope.

Even though the skies were pretty clear last night I guess there was some upper atmosphere disturbances that was causing some seeing problems that screwed with my guiding, especially dec tracking.
And the Moon was washing out my exposures so my images weren't as nice as I liked.
I tried getting some Ha images but apparently I have to spend some time figuring out camera gain and offset because using the same setting for Ha as I did for LRGB resulted in nothing but total black useless images - so that was a wasted hour of imaging.

Overall, I managed to get about another half hour of LRGB to add to my previous night out but that's about all I accomplished.
The next time out I'll tinker with the exposure to figure out how to get some Ha narrowband data.
View Quote
@AZ_Sky

What offset and gain were you using?

Sometimes I use 200 and 50 although i think I'm going to start using unity gain.    If you were shooting HA of M101 you probably wouldn't see anything in the image until after stacking and processing.

This is what the butterfly nebula looked like after an hour of imaging, no nebulosity to be seen until you push it a bit.

You should post up a raw file, I can see if PI will bring anything out.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 7:06:10 PM EDT
[#12]
@Ciraxis

Here is a Dropbox link to the Ha fit files I took last night.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pzpjhc5orlf80io/AACUbzHYZolALUUhfxYoJqDwa?dl=0

After looking at my setup I am not totally sure what the gain was but the offset was 50.
I was just connecting the camera and assumed it went to unity gain, but when I pulled up the ASCOM settings it looks like the gain may have been set to zero - but I'm not sure.
I was getting good data on the LRGB channels, just not on the Ha channel - my stacking program couldn't even stack the Ha subs.
I may just need some more hands on time with the camera and program in order to figure everything out.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 7:28:03 PM EDT
[#13]
@AZ_Sky

You definitely picked up some ha data.   This was those 16 shots stacked and just the basic push in PixIsight to see what is there, no really processing other than that.  Those knots would really make the color pop in an LRGB image if you combine it with the red channel.

The bad news is that you still have "walking" noise or correlation noise in the shot, so you should try increasing the dither amount.   Its the streaks you see at a roughly 45 degree angle, I encountered the same thing when I first got my asi1600, but dithering took care of it, you just need to find the sweet spot, you may have to dither larger than I thought.

The amp glow and hot pixels should all be taken care of with calibration frames though, darks, flats etc.

Here is the link to the stacked file since you said your software wouldn't stack it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zuqxkeqgw2ia0ts/M101HA.fit?dl=0

Your shot is going to look awesome!
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 8:31:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
@AZ_Sky

You definitely picked up some ha data.   This was those 16 shots stacked and just the basic push in PixIsight to see what is there, no really processing other than that.  Those knots would really make the color pop in an LRGB image if you combine it with the red channel.

https://i.imgur.com/iakKnbG.png

The bad news is that you still have "walking" noise or correlation noise in the shot, so you should try increasing the dither amount.   Its the streaks you see at a roughly 45 degree angle, I encountered the same thing when I first got my asi1600, but dithering took care of it, you just need to find the sweet spot, you may have to dither larger than I thought.

https://i.imgur.com/dn1xuMJ.png

The amp glow and hot pixels should all be taken care of with calibration frames though, darks, flats etc.

Here is the link to the stacked file since you said your software wouldn't stack it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zuqxkeqgw2ia0ts/M101HA.fit?dl=0

Your shot is going to look awesome!
View Quote
@Ciraxis

Thanks for that.
Looks like I may need to look into PI - I checked out some PI tutorials on Youtube and it looked a little inundating to me, but if that's what it takes I can learn to do it!
I'll calibrate that file and see if I can integrate it with my red channel.
Thanks again!
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 8:39:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I finally had a clear night last night, so I decided to add the RGB data to my luminance data of the Leo Triplet I took last month.

I think the seeing was pretty bad last night though as my FWHM was much higher than normal. So, the final image isn't as sharp as it could have been.

I am happy with this image though. It is only my second LRGB image I've made with a mono camera.

Lum: 96 Minutes
Red: 75 Minutes
Green: 75 Minutes
Blue: 90 Minutes

Stellarvue SV80 Access F7
ZWO ASI183MM Pro
EQ6-R Pro
ZWO ASI 120MC-S Guide Camera

60mm Guide Scope

It looks better than this on my calibrated monitor, but as always the web really messes with colors.

And here is a link the a larger res image, as well as all the data (click the photo)

Link Posted: 4/15/2019 11:51:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I finally had a clear night last night, so I decided to add the RGB data to my luminance data of the Leo Triplet I took last month.

I think the seeing was pretty bad last night though as my FWHM was much higher than normal. So, the final image isn't as sharp as it could have been.

I am happy with this image though. It is only my second LRGB image I've made with a mono camera.

Lum: 96 Minutes
Red: 75 Minutes
Green: 75 Minutes
Blue: 90 Minutes

Stellarvue SV80 Access F7
ZWO ASI183MM Pro
EQ6-R Pro
ZWO ASI 120MC-S Guide Camera

60mm Guide Scope

It looks better than this on my calibrated monitor, but as always the web really messes with colors.

https://www.focalworld.com/index.php?media/leo-triplet-lrgb-5-6-hours.2972/full 

And here is a link the a larger res image, as well as all the data (click the photo)

https://astrob.in/401128/0/rawthumb/gallery/get.jpg?insecure
View Quote
Looks nice!
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 5:21:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Well crap!
I just got a chance to research the gain and offset settings on the images I took of M101 by reading the header information on the fits files.
It looks like the camera (or the driver) defaults to highest dynamic range on power-up (gain=0, offset=50) and I didn't set the gain from there.
So all of my images LRGB+Ha were taken at gain=0 and offset=50, no wonder my Ha filter (with its 7nm bandwidth) wasn't returning much data!
If these dang clouds will move out by tonight I'm going to set up again just to try some sample captures at unity gain (G=139, O=50) to see what the data looks like.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 5:41:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 5:44:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm gonna take a stab at a translation:   You loaded ISO 25 film in the camera and thought it was 1600?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well crap!
I just got a chance to research the gain and offset settings on the images I took of M101 by reading the header information on the fits files.
It looks like the camera (or the driver) defaults to highest dynamic range on power-up (gain=0, offset=50) and I didn't set the gain from there.
So all of my images LRGB+Ha were taken at gain=0 and offset=50, no wonder my Ha filter (with its 7nm bandwidth) wasn't returning much data!
If these dang clouds will move out by tonight I'm going to set up again just to try some sample captures at unity gain (G=139, O=50) to see what the data looks like.
I'm gonna take a stab at a translation:   You loaded ISO 25 film in the camera and thought it was 1600?
LOL - you ain't far off....
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 7:22:35 PM EDT
[#20]
You know how they say getting a new scope brings clouds?  Well the opposite holds true when you send one in for repairs

6 clear nights since that scope has been mailed off, more tgan I've had in the last three months
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You know how they say getting a new scope brings clouds?  Well the opposite holds true when you send one in for repairs

6 clear nights since that scope has been mailed off, more tgan I've had in the last three months
View Quote
LOL, I know right?
When I bought the ASI1600 the clouds immediately moved in and in the last month I have only gotten in three usable imaging sessions.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 8:08:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 10:59:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Well this is sure gonna suck tonight...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 11:06:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 2:26:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I don't see a cloud, and you could get a really good picture of the moon if all else fails.   The ISO 25 setting may be useful for that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well this is sure gonna suck tonight...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/20962/ScopeMoon_jpg-916123.JPG
I don't see a cloud, and you could get a really good picture of the moon if all else fails.   The ISO 25 setting may be useful for that.
Ha!  You funny man...

But I actually got some good results tonight.
At unity gain (G=139,O=50) I got Ha images that my software could recognize and stack.
And thanks to @Ciraxis input, I upped the dither from 15 pixels to 25 pixels (which didn't increase the settling time all that much) and almost all of the discernible walking noise is gone.
I'm quite satisfied with what I learned tonight.
Here is a stack of 7 two minute bin1x1 Ha images that I captured tonight:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 2:38:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 2:44:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Looks much brighter this time!

What color do you map H to when mixing LRGB w/o S II and O III?
View Quote
I modify the RED channel from the pure RED filter to a combination mix of RED and Ha for a RED/Ha and then replace the RED channel in the LRGB with the RED/Ha mix.
Some people simply replace the LUM channel with the Ha, but I haven't tried that - I'm still trying to come up to speed on this whole new way of making astro photos...
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 2:52:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 7:59:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Ha!  You funny man...

But I actually got some good results tonight.
At unity gain (G=139,O=50) I got Ha images that my software could recognize and stack.
And thanks to @Ciraxis input, I upped the dither from 15 pixels to 25 pixels (which didn't increase the settling time all that much) and almost all of the discernible walking noise is gone.
I'm quite satisfied with what I learned tonight.
Here is a stack of 7 two minute bin1x1 Ha images that I captured tonight:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/20962/Ha2r_jpg-916254.JPG
View Quote
Much better!

I don't see any walking noise anymore so that dither setting must be the sweet spot for you and that scope.   Now go shoot 4 hours of HA
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Was poking through the archive and searched for the very first RAW image I ever took.  As it turns out it was an 1,836 second exposure of the night sky.

D200 (!), 18mm, ISO 200, f/8 (wth was I thinking?!!?)

First Raw Startrails by FredMan, on Flickr

And here's a good example of my current star trail capture ability

400 Frame Star Trails by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 8:48:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 7:57:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Some stuff from a recent climbing outing.  GoPro Hero5/7

And a photo of the same meteor from two different angles/exposures...

Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:05:01 PM EDT
[#33]
That is from a GoPro?  Wow, I didn't know they could shoot low light that well!
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:15:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That is from a GoPro?  Wow, I didn't know they could shoot low light that well!
View Quote
With temperatures below 50ºF, they can produce results decent enough for a 20" print.  I was just doing some B-roll camera stuff for a video I was planning on shooting the next morning, so I didn't put a whole lot of thought into the exposure settings.

If temperatures are above 50ºF, you definitely want to put your hand over the lens to get at least one completely dark frame at the end of the series to try to do some dark frame subtraction to reduce sensor noise.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:20:25 PM EDT
[#35]
This was the lunar eclipse in January.  All of this was just from the GoPros.

Lunar Eclipse, January 2019
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:36:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 9:21:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What's the strobing yellow on the upper edge of the cliff between 20 and 40 seconds from?  Headlights passing or somebody walking around with a flashlight above?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qigs4ezPFoQ
What's the strobing yellow on the upper edge of the cliff between 20 and 40 seconds from?  Headlights passing or somebody walking around with a flashlight above?
Mostly headlights.  This place used to be more remote.  Used to be.

Any flickering near totality would be me lighting up some rocks for some DSLR shots from other angles.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 11:12:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 9:54:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Still looks amazing.  I forgot to mention it.  It's unbelievably good for a Go Pro, I was under the impression their images weren't so good due to the wide angle vs pixels, but that must have been the early versions.

What's causing the horizontal arcs in your other night shots around the moon?  Is that fog on lens or something in sky?  I need to learn to troubleshoot if I decide to "Go Pro" astronomy.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qigs4ezPFoQ
Mostly headlights.  This place used to be more remote.  Used to be.

Any flickering near totality would be me lighting up some rocks for some DSLR shots from other angles.
Still looks amazing.  I forgot to mention it.  It's unbelievably good for a Go Pro, I was under the impression their images weren't so good due to the wide angle vs pixels, but that must have been the early versions.

What's causing the horizontal arcs in your other night shots around the moon?  Is that fog on lens or something in sky?  I need to learn to troubleshoot if I decide to "Go Pro" astronomy.  
The biggest detriment to a GoPro, the internally generated heat that kills low light quality above 60ºF, works to keep the lens fog free in conditions where a DSLR lens would fog.

So, no, it's not fogging.  It's just gross over exposure anytime the moon is in or near the frame.

Here is a close-to-proper exposure near totality of the eclipse [Hero6] …

And another shot taken at the same time with a Hero5 from a different angle, but with an exposure set for the stars (even in totality, the moon is still blown out) [ETA: after looking at that timelapse, this was as the moon was coming out of totality, and I had returned to my tent to call it a night, which is why the inside of the tent is illuminated] …

And here is a stacked image from that same Hero5, same night, closer to moonset (way, way out of totality and back to a completely full moon, albeit partially obscured by some conifers, which helps abate the most offensive blooming from the overexposed moon) …

The GoPro images aren't bad, and in some cases, surprisingly good.  Just depends on where your expectations are.

For comparison, here is a D800 image from a similar angle to the Hero6 during totality …

And a D800 image from a similar angle as the Hero5 shot of the tent …
(I'm just to the left of my tent, and a bit ahead of it in the distance.  Similar timing of the photo, within a minute or two, but a completely different orientation of the constellation Orion.  I'm guessing it's lens distortion.)

Both of the D800 images are composite images. The moon is from the next frame, but stopped down something like 7  f stops.

With some work with the GoPros, I guess I could have done something similar if I was controlling through the smartphone app and taking individual photos, but I just had these things running on a fixed timelapse interval.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 9:57:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Do any of the software packages have the "remove airplane track" option?  How many shorter exposures are needed?
View Quote
The workaround is to start the timelapses after midnight, when that corridor calms down.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 8:13:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Figured I'd post this here too:

I finished up my first try at M51, the Whirlpool this weekend with the new scope (MN190).

I REALLY like this scope!

I also tried out my new ZWO ASIAIR, which is basically an all in one imaging solution built on a Raspberry Pi system.  It worked remarkably well in both image acquisition and plate solving.  The auto guiding wasn't as good as PHD2 for me, but I didn't mess with any of the settings yet.

Well here it is, 224 minutes in total integration.

Lum: 64 minutes
Red: 32 minutes
Green: 48 minutes
Blue: 45 minutes
H-Alpha: 35 minutes

Link Posted: 5/14/2019 7:55:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Figured I'd post this here too:

I finished up my first try at M51, the Whirlpool this weekend with the new scope (MN190).

I REALLY like this scope!

I also tried out my new ZWO ASIAIR, which is basically an all in one imaging solution built on a Raspberry Pi system.  It worked remarkably well in both image acquisition and plate solving.  The auto guiding wasn't as good as PHD2 for me, but I didn't mess with any of the settings yet.

Well here it is, 224 minutes in total integration.

Lum: 64 minutes
Red: 32 minutes
Green: 48 minutes
Blue: 45 minutes
H-Alpha: 35 minutes

https://www.focalworld.com/index.php?media/m51-224-minutes-lrgbha.3035/full 
View Quote
Looking great.    Once I get a better mount I'll end up buying a longer FL scope, it certainly helps to have one during galaxy season.

I really hope that the ZWO air keeps improving, it needs a few more features before I'll buy one.    I'm looking at buying a tiny travel mount to take with me as I travel this year.

My scope is still in for repair
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 4:57:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Haven't been out much lately, weather hasn't cooperated on nights off.  So I've been working on an observatory instead.

Laying out the site
Attachment Attached File

Digging out the pier and post locations
Attachment Attached File

Base set for the EZ-Tube pre-cast pier system
Attachment Attached File

Pier partially buried
Attachment Attached File

Completely buried
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 6:51:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 7:05:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Just saw this thread. Once I settle down, I want a 12”+ SCT on a wedge for AP
View Quote
Where are you located in CO?  There's a few of us on here from CO into AP.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 7:20:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 7:53:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Haven't been out much lately, weather hasn't cooperated on nights off.  So I've been working on an observatory instead.

Laying out the site
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/158414/1_jpg-960758.JPG

Digging out the pier and post locations
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/158414/3_jpg-960759.JPG

Base set for the EZ-Tube pre-cast pier system
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/158414/4_jpg-960760.JPG

Pier partially buried
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/158414/5_jpg-960761.JPG

Completely buried
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/158414/6_jpg-960762.JPG
View Quote
Sweet!

I wish I had open skies like that.

I finally got my scope back, just need to get everything set back up and test out the optics.    I also bought a Skywatcher adventurer for travel shooting, but havent played with it yet.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 8:22:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I just fell down, hit my head, and had an idea.   It hurt.

Anyway, I posted this in sixgunner's eye of the needle galaxy shot thread.  Link to that thread with nice image

If anybody here knows people that know people that write the scope/camera controller software, maybe inject this concept into their thought processes, writing a complete control software solution from scratch just to add this is a bit too much for little ole me.   Is there an open source camera/scope controller package where I could donate some code?

The Thought:
Maybe I just thought of my next code project. Sounds like too much work, just submit it as a change request to the authors of the controllers you use.

Have the controller temporarily double-take exposures around ADS-B transponder aircraft traffic and satellite passes. Would only need to close shutter for 10 seconds of a 10 minute exposure rather than miss it entirely, but could be tuned for some pretty spectacular results requiring little work. adsbexchange has an API for flight locating, and I believe one of the satellite database sites has a pass spotting API, though I can't recall which one right now. The math would already be done, controller would just have time windows for a lat/long box to not expose.

--ETA:   Heavens Above API - Satellite passes calculated

ADS-B API - live atmospheric aircraft flight location data feed
View Quote
That is a really good idea.   You can usually remove planes and sat trails when stack if you choose the correct method, but its all give and take.

The ccd guys would probably love it though as they can get into 10-30 minute subs
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 11:19:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Sweet!

I wish I had open skies like that.

I finally got my scope back, just need to get everything set back up and test out the optics.    I also bought a Skywatcher adventurer for travel shooting, but havent played with it yet.
View Quote
I'm excited to get it done, will be a several month long project, building it in stages as my schedule allows. Likely won't get the warm room put in till the fall, but will still be functional.

Not a whole lot more progress, finished the with the floor joists, stacked the rest of the pier (still needs sealant on sections above pier floor), and installed conduit for pier electrical and data to the eventual warm room location.

Unfortunately injured my knee while painting the subflooring, so taking it easy for the time being.

Attachment Attached File
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top