Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 4:32:07 PM EDT
[#1]

a Chinese Navy "strategic nuclear submarine Aircraft carrier" design. prolly made out of pot metal though...

Link Posted: 6/21/2012 4:54:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Bah. I can't figure out how to embed.

This is what scares me.

Actually it's a rush , been in quite a bit worse when I worked on this rig

Link Posted: 6/21/2012 4:59:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Sailboats I have owned -

S&S Lightning
Westerly Snapdragon 26 ft.
Cape Dory 30
Raider 33
Tartan 37
Sweden Yachts 38
Sweden Yachts 41

The best all around boat was the Tartan. The Sweden Yachts were faster, but a PIA for going anywhere.

Someone mention they were considering buying a Morgan. I was a designer at Morgan Yachts for over 10 years. Ask away.

If I don’t know the answer I’ll call Charley at home and ask him - keep in mind though Charley is up there in years, and the greatest natural sailboat driver in this country is not as quick these days.

All do-it-yourself boatyards have a Westsail 32 in various states of restoration. Fools errand in my view.

Mike
Palm Coast FL.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 5:11:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
you're going to retire on 1-2 million?

Clearly you haven't priced boats in a while

or anything else

1.5M / 25 years = $60,000/ year

My first thought as well.

You're pretty much limited to a sailboat, at that salary.  Diesel is what...over $4/gallon?  Not counting the cost of average ship's maintenance...
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 5:12:07 PM EDT
[#8]

That is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 5:13:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq93/hobbswl/Angelique.jpg

The Angelique Is a 51 foot Formosa Ketch I've been drooling over and could easily see living on. She just sold for about $150,000 but there are others around.
Sail is the way to go.

Quoted:

or anything else

I've been pricing boats, They're pretty reasonable right now due to the economy. And if done right you can live for less than a grand a month on a properly equipped vessel.

I don't think you've priced ablative paint in awhile.
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Tahiti Ketch

Sea worthy, room for a crew of five nekid ladies,  Cheaper to operate than a go fast boat, lower initial cost.

South Pacific Islands.  Maybe Olongapo.

And another

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/Jerrschmitt/arfcom/3252576_0_090220111718_1.jpg

My father bought a handmade (in 1958?) Tahiti Ketch––a 38 footer––in the 70's.  Boating has always been his passion.  Bought if for $7000, put over $20K into it (NOT counting dock fees), but could never put enough time into it.  He eventually sold it for $700 to a guy who just wanted the good berth.  New buyer had to pay to get it off the bottom of the river.

I spent several nights in it, as a teenager, pumping out the bilge and doing what I could for the interior.  It had a wood-fired stove and the world's oldest diesel engine (that just didn't work).  It was romantic as hell...but too far gone with dryrot.  It impressed upon me, at a very early age, how much work, money, time, and effort they take to maintain.

For a single man?  I think it could've been done on that boat, with the exception of shower facilities.  That particular boat––the Sequestor––had been around the world several times.

He's older now (82) and his world voyaging fantasies are behind him...but he still has a thing for fiberglass sailboats.  

Boats are a blood thing.  You either get them, or you don't.  I don't...to my father's chagrin.  20 years in the Navy was enough.
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 5:20:43 PM EDT
[#11]

I was SO waiting for someone to post that picture.
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 6:19:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 8:01:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq93/hobbswl/Angelique.jpg

The Angelique Is a 51 foot Formosa Ketch I've been drooling over and could easily see living on. She just sold for about $150,000 but there are others around.
Sail is the way to go.

Quoted:

or anything else

I've been pricing boats, They're pretty reasonable right now due to the economy. And if done right you can live for less than a grand a month on a properly equipped vessel.

I don't think you've priced ablative paint in awhile.

Yes, actually I have as I'm in the early process of planning the same thing as the original poster.
Don't get your hull done in the U.S. Run upriver as often as you can. Clean your hull with soft cloths at least every 2 months to make the hull paint last longer.
As soon as the kids are out of the house I'm selling it and blowing this Popsicle stand
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 6:06:02 AM EDT
[#14]

The Krogen looks like it has possibility! I will have to do a full breakdown comparison of it vs the Nordhavn as soon as I get some time. Thanks for the links.
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 6:10:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yes, actually I have as I'm in the early process of planning the same thing as the original poster.
Don't get your hull done in the U.S. Run upriver as often as you can. Clean your hull with soft cloths at least every 2 months to make the hull paint last longer.
As soon as the kids are out of the house I'm selling it and blowing this Popsicle stand

Would something like a Nordhavn require constant hull maintenance (i.e., repainting)? That doesn't seem reasonable.
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 7:23:51 AM EDT
[#16]
ive never heard of constant hull maintenance-ever.
Back in the 70s when I was sailing on my dads wooden schooner it was paint once a year with that awful red stuff...and the boat came out of the water every year fine.  Now with advanced bottom paints like interlux Micron you can go a couple years-just power wash your boat when you pull it annually.  NOw its about 65 bucks a quart its expensive but well worth it.  I used it on my halberg every 2 years and my bottom was clean as hell every time I pulled it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 7:32:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Back in the 70s when I was sailing on my dads wooden schooner it was paint once a year with that awful red stuff...and the boat came out of the water every year fine.  Now with advanced bottom paints like interlux Micron you can go a couple years-just power wash your boat when you pull it annually.  NOw its about 65 bucks a quart its expensive but well worth it.  I used it on my halberg every 2 years and my bottom was clean as hell every time I pulled it.

So a hull repaint every two years? Wow.
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 7:42:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So a hull repaint every two years? Wow.

Bottom growth is bad.  Frequency will depend on your latitude.
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 7:43:52 AM EDT
[#19]

Yup!

Link Posted: 6/22/2012 7:46:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Chesapeake bay yah, every two years and thats with you pulling it every year and letting it sit over the winter.  Maine, where I do my sailing now, you can get away with every 3 but thats after pulling in october every season and going back in by memorial day.  Plus you can just patch over a few spots.

Now when you repaint the bottom the big question is DO YOU SAND IT.  THAT MY FRIENDS IS THE WORST-sanding ablative bottom paint is THE WORST

Zincs got to be replaced as well; but those take 5 mins, the hardest thing is finding the right ones.  My halberg had a big zinc that went around the shaft inbtwn the cutlass bearing and the prop.  I had to get them from sweeden
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 7:47:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Chesapeake bay yah, every two years and thats with you pulling it every year and letting it sit over the winter.  Maine, where I do my sailing now, you can get away with every 3 but thats after pulling in october every season and going back in by memorial day.

Zincs in the Chesapeake bay are every year, maine not so much but they go on every year as well

What about the Caribbean?
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 7:49:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Chesapeake bay yah, every two years and thats with you pulling it every year and letting it sit over the winter.  Maine, where I do my sailing now, you can get away with every 3 but thats after pulling in october every season and going back in by memorial day.

Zincs in the Chesapeake bay are every year, maine not so much but they go on every year as well

What about the Caribbean?

Lower lattitudes will generally require more bottom maintenance.

Link Posted: 6/22/2012 7:50:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Caribbean-not sure, Ive only chartered there and would not want to own a boat that far south and leave it.  The sun knocks the shit out of them and Im sure the growth is awful.  Every year minimum id say-unless you dont mind going slow! LOL
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 7:52:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Don't forget that since you'll actually be using the boat all the time that growth will be abated for the most part. That's the beauty of ablative paint!

Its the boats that just sit that have issues the most with growth.

As far as zincs go you should plan on doing them every other year or so on a Nordhavn.
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 7:54:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Don't forget that since you'll actually be using the boat all the time that growth will be abated for the most part. That's the beauty of ablative paint!

Its the boats that just sit that have issues the most with growth.

As far as zincs go you should plan on doing them every other year or so on a Nordhavn.

So paint and zinc every two years. I guess my next question - if anyone knows - is how expensive is that process on a 47-52' hull?
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 7:55:24 AM EDT
[#26]
My stepfather spent many years living on a boat sailing around the Pacific until his wreck. He wrote about it. Good book, you just gotta read it with a heavy German accent.

Link Posted: 6/22/2012 7:57:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 8:10:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Only way I am sailing the seas is in my fully equipped battleship.  Until I get one, I am staying out of the water.

yesser
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 8:16:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 8:33:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Zincs got to be replaced as well; but those take 5 mins, the hardest thing is finding the right ones.  My halberg had a big zinc that went around the shaft inbtwn the cutlass bearing and the prop.  I had to get them from sweeden

He said something about replacing the sinks, but the water ran just fine...
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 8:53:41 AM EDT
[#31]
ost

Link Posted: 6/22/2012 8:57:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would something like a Nordhavn require constant hull maintenance (i.e., repainting)? That doesn't seem reasonable.

Yes.
The problem with being in the ocean is there are critters that like living on anything in the water. Boats use special antimicrobial paint to reduce the number of hitchhikers you get but you still get some. You need to keep the hull clean to maintain integrity and performance. Cleaning tends to be a little rough on paint especially if you let it go to long forcing you to use more aggressive cleaning methods. There's also the problem of actually moving through the water. Ocean water is full of minerals and debris and traveling through it wears on your paint.

There are things you can do to make your paint last longer. Cold water promotes fewer hitchhikers than warm water. Hitchhikers that like sea water don't like fresh water, if you plan on long term moorage, think about doing so in a river. We have lots of family and friends in the Portland Oregon area so we plan on spending a great deal of our time in the Columbia river. Clean your hull more often and use a soft rag or sponge, if you get the critters off before they can get a good grip on your paint it's much easier on the paint.

One thing to remember, a haul out isn't just for paint. You'll also be checking and repacking thru hull ports such as grey and brown water outlets, water intakes for cooling and water generator. Checking screw, shaft and shaft seals. Checking the hull over for any sign of damage.
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 10:04:41 AM EDT
[#33]
warm water brings the critters on the hull and also in your diesle fuel tank
my dads boat in maine has the cleanest fuel and his racors were always spotless.  The damn fuel reseviors were clear.  I had double racors in my halberg because on the bay, when its 95 degrees out for the whole month of august, the critters will form up in your fuel, even if you go heavy on the additives.  I refused to sail in the bay from late july to early september, as I was in maine for 3 of those weeks every summer, so my boat basically sat for 6 weeks every summer which was not good for my fuel tanks, which were permanent just above the keel.
SO warm water, hot temps is so tough on a boat, and like the others have said, if you boat sits in the heat, it is dying a slow death.  THats why I would never buy a used boat South of Annapolis.  Go Annapolis and N of there and you want a boat thats been used-A LOT
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 10:19:00 AM EDT
[#34]
I may or may not know the folks that own this......

Their blog.....Very interesting read. http://svfieldtrip.blogspot.com/p/our-boat.html
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 11:12:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
warm water brings the critters on the hull and also in your diesle fuel tank
my dads boat in maine has the cleanest fuel and his racors were always spotless.  The damn fuel reseviors were clear.  I had double racors in my halberg because on the bay, when its 95 degrees out for the whole month of august, the critters will form up in your fuel, even if you go heavy on the additives.  I refused to sail in the bay from late july to early september, as I was in maine for 3 of those weeks every summer, so my boat basically sat for 6 weeks every summer which was not good for my fuel tanks, which were permanent just above the keel.
SO warm water, hot temps is so tough on a boat, and like the others have said, if you boat sits in the heat, it is dying a slow death.  THats why I would never buy a used boat South of Annapolis.  Go Annapolis and N of there and you want a boat thats been used-A LOT

A racor is a brand of filter, yes?
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 11:37:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

A racor is a brand of filter, yes?

Yes.  Fuel/Water separator/filter

Link Posted: 6/22/2012 1:40:43 PM EDT
[#37]
So basically, mooring long-term in the Carribean means an annual pull and thorough checkup is highly advisable. Sounds pricey but not impossible.
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 2:00:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The Krogen looks like it has possibility! I will have to do a full breakdown comparison of it vs the Nordhavn as soon as I get some time. Thanks for the links.

I fell in love with it after reading this edition of Passagemaker:

http://www.passagemaker.com/ship-store/back-issues?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_new.tpl&product_id=12&category_id=8

Link Posted: 6/22/2012 6:36:23 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Sailboats I have owned -

S&S Lightning

Westerly Snapdragon 26 ft.

Cape Dory 30

Raider 33

Tartan 37

Sweden Yachts 38

Sweden Yachts 41

The best all around boat was the Tartan. The Sweden Yachts were faster, but a PIA for going anywhere.

Someone mention they were considering buying a Morgan. I was a designer at Morgan Yachts for over 10 years. Ask away.

If I don’t know the answer I’ll call Charley at home and ask him - keep in mind though Charley is up there in years, and the greatest natural sailboat driver in this country is not as quick these days.

All do-it-yourself boatyards have a Westsail 32 in various states of restoration. Fools errand in my view.

Mike

Palm Coast FL.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I am curious as to a couple things. keep in mind that my main sailing experience was in a Catalina 22 that we owned for several years. I loved it but it only sailed on local lakes. Certainly not an ocean cruiser for sure, but a heck of a fun boat.

Why, if you designed for Morgan didn't you own one?

Also, what is it that makes the Westsails a fools errand?  Is it because they were overbuilt and required more maintenance or did they start falling apart after a time? I am curious about that especially because I really like what I've read about them but am no expert either.

Link Posted: 6/23/2012 11:46:27 AM EDT
[#40]
I have trouble imagining this in a sailboat.

The Sea Isn't For Sissies
Link Posted: 6/23/2012 6:31:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Gomulego asks why I never owned a Morgan sailboat -

The answer is that as an employee of the builder I could not afford one. It wasn’t until I gave up drawing boats and moved on that I had the extra cash to buy a boat. By that time most of the Morgan designs were dated, and there were other boats that appealed to me. I still admire Charley, the best boss I ever had, and I will argue the best American sailboat racer of the second half of the century. He came within one race of beating Ted Turner and Gary Jobson in the America’s cup trials in a boat he designed, built, and even made the sails.

Regarding the Westsail 32 - it’s a poor design in my view, but that’s not my main objection - I can see how the design appeals to many people. My objection is that so many were sold as kits, and the quality of the original fitting out is often poor. I’m not saying there are not good ones out there, just that they are hard to find.

The Catalina 22 is a fine boat. I’d like to own one myself, but there is a 18 foot bridge to get to my dock. My guess is that if you like the Catalina 22, you will probably not be happy with a Westsail.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/23/2012 6:40:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Probably been said before (I ain't reading the whole thread), but there is only one good answer.

And NSW officers be damned.

Battleship.

LC
Link Posted: 6/23/2012 6:45:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 5:11:26 AM EDT
[#44]

Something that big just seems like a waste of money and an excuse to show off. Of course, there's nothing wrong with that if you have that kind of money, I suppose.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 5:20:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Something that would not be an easy target or something that pirates would be attracted to.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 5:51:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Have you looked at this website?

David Pascoe reviews and Surverying articles link

Have you been to this website? He has put up so much info on boat buying and surveying it is a must read.

Be sure to read all the articles on issues in used boats and buying a quality boat.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 6:14:50 AM EDT
[#47]
And here I have been drooling over 25' Catalina's on Craigslist for the past two years trying to find that diamond in the rough...some of these boats are insane!
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 6:20:08 AM EDT
[#48]

Although I do like the luxury submarine idea, I'd go with a cruising catamaran. Comfortable, versatile, stable, easily manned, and good for entertaining.

Link Posted: 6/25/2012 6:36:52 PM EDT
[#49]
bump because this thread is fascinating
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 7:32:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top