Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 24
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 1:27:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I finished painting my Grey Knight army last night.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 1:33:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/438110/IMG_3034-382797.JPG
View Quote
The paint job is good on these, but I LOVE the bases.  How did you do them?
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 1:50:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!  The bases are pretty easy.  The trick is to use Vallejo weathering pigments.  These are pretty easy to use and come in a bunch of different colors, with which you can mimic dust, rust, and soot.  You could make your own by grinding up artist pastels, but, unless you're mixing up a custom color, it's not worth the hassle.  Here's the process I used:

They started as regular GW round bases.  I used some tile-shaped plastic card placed in a semi-random arrangement.  Then I used regular basing sand/rocks to fill out the rest of the base.  I painted the tile in a black and white checkerboard pattern.

Finally, I used the weather powder.  Mix a bit of the powder with some kind of medium.  I used Windex, but you could use airbrush thinner, white spirits, acrylic matte medium, or numerous others.  I don't know the exact ratio of powder to medium; you'll just have to eyeball it.  Smear the mixture into the base and let the capillary action draw the pigment into the recesses.  Let it dry overnight to see the full effect.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 12:17:31 AM EDT
[#4]
The Tower of Fail is now one box higher with the addition of Necromunda!

Link Posted: 12/11/2017 12:29:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Tower of Fail is now one box higher with the addition of Necromunda!

https://i.imgur.com/D4aa5Q8.jpg?1
View Quote
Lol, I'd have picked it up for my own pile already if I was interested in either of the included gangs.  I'll get it at some point.

In the meantime, I ordered a 30k Thousand Sons Terminator Praetor to do up as a 40k TS Terminator Sorcerer.  Some bits for Custodes and 30k TS, too.  The other week, I was BSing over Facebook with the local store manager.  I've been keeping him apprised of my (slow) progress with my Thousand Sons, but no one at the store's ever seen them, so I sent some pictures to "prove they actually exist".

So, what I'm saying is, maybe later I'll put up some boring pictures of basecoated Thousand Sons.

ETA:

Link Posted: 12/11/2017 5:27:41 AM EDT
[#6]

This thread must not die, kinda like zombie-smurfs

Link Posted: 12/11/2017 6:24:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I played all through High School in the 90s. Started with Rogue Trader in 1991. Had Ultramarines, ImperialGuard and Squats. I can’t bring myself to pay what GW wants per miniature these days. Even the “cheap” Getting Started boxes are too much.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:48:37 PM EDT
[#8]
New Dark Angel sets!!! Primaris Aggressors! I am soooo in!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 10:08:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 3:59:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
New Dark Angel sets!!! Primaris Aggressors! I am soooo in!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/471621/99120101202_DarkAngelsPrimarisAggressors01-387818.JPG
View Quote
Damnit.  The last thing I need is more fucking 40k shit.

I must have them.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 3:38:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Dan Abnett's latest Gaunt's Ghosts novel, The Warmaster, is out. Just finished it. Overall, I like it, but it seemed....abrupt to me. An interesting new direction for the characters, to be sure.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 11:43:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Damnit.  The last thing I need is more fucking 40k shit.

I must have them.
View Quote
Now you know what to ask for for Christmas
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 5:25:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Like the Emperor Himself, this thread will never die!

In the last 30 days I have built the following for my wife, who hates assembling:

10x Scouts
2x Land Speeder Storms
25x Devastators of various types
15x Sanguinary Guard
1x FW Relic Leviathan Dreadnought

She's getting Primaris stuff for Christmas.

Leviathan Dreadnought:
Attachment Attached File

I, on the other hand, have built 10 Custodes, 2 Contemptors, and 20 Sisters of Silence for myself in anticipation of the new Custodes HQ releasing soon.

Got the new Guard Codex too.  Thankfully I hadn't built any Conscripts yet because the new Codex absolutely buttfucked them.   My many Commissars are also now liabilities.

On the plus side, I have decided to go straight mechanized and use the Tallarn regiment abilities.  It simplifies the list too:

2x Tank Commander (Leman Russ, Battle Cannon, Heavy Bolter, 2x Plasma Cannon)

2x Leman Russ (Same equip as Commanders, also track guards)

2x Hellhounds w/ Heavy Flamers

3x Cyclops Demolition Vehicle

1x Armoured Sentinel (Autocannon, Chainsaw)

1x Baneblade (Bb Cannon, Demo Cannon, twin HB, 4x Lascannon, 4x twin Heavy Flamer, Autocannon, Heavy Stubber.)

1x Heavy Weapon Squad (3x Mortars)

It's exactly 2000 points and only 14 models, a few of which can be deployed together in order to increase odds of going first (only 8 drops.)  It's a Spearhead detachment and the Lemans and Mortars all have 'objective secured.'

If there's anyone on the fence about the game still, let me give you an idea of how much this low-model-count army costs. At full retail prices, the army listed above would run you $560, not counting the books you need to play it.

I paid considerably less by going through Ebay for everything I could, and by building the Hellhounds from spare parts.

Pictured below, less the two Ebay Russes on sprues I am waiting for.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 10:24:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 12:25:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I need three Primaris Intercessor grenade launcher bolt rifles. Anyone have some?

Or a link to a 3d printed version or a cast or anything?
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 5:00:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I need three Primaris Intercessor grenade launcher bolt rifles. Anyone have some?

View Quote
probably best to put a want on some trade groups.

this guy sells most of the bits, might be able to get you what you need. have bought from him before.

ebay
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 12:20:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

this guy sells most of the bits, might be able to get you what you need. have bought from him before.

ebay
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ebay
Yea, I messaged Window-box yesterday stating I needed three and he replied that they are stupid popular and he doesn't have an ETA on when they'll have more up for sale. I might have landed a couple with my local group.  If so, I'll build this last box of five as four stalkers and a regular bolt rifle w/ GL and just order a single a stalker from him.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 12:23:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Big fan of the universe, and the game is a hell of a lot of fun. Just never had the money to get big into it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 12:24:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yea, I messaged Window-box yesterday stating I needed three and he replied that they are stupid popular and he doesn't have an ETA on when they'll have more up for sale. I might have landed a couple with my local group.  If so, I'll build this last box of five as four stalkers and a regular bolt rifle w/ GL and just order a single a stalker from him.
View Quote
It's like Sanguinary Guard jump packs.  Stupidly popular for use with the my IV armor, to make 30k assault squads, and no bit sellers seem to ever have them in stock.  They've got all the rest of the bits from that box, but never the jump packs.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 12:28:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Man...I need to find somebody in this thread who can help paint my Space Hulk minis.

Shit.  I just don't have the time.  Ugh.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 2:09:11 AM EDT
[#21]
guy posted his vindicare assassin on fb, thought it was awesomeAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Al of a sudden, a bunch of books have popped up on kindle.

Link Posted: 1/1/2018 10:15:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Happy 018.M3!
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 8:49:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 9:14:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Dan Abnett's latest Gaunt's Ghosts novel, The Warmaster, is out. Just finished it. Overall, I like it, but it seemed....abrupt to me. An interesting new direction for the characters, to be sure.
View Quote
I've been putting off buying it because I assumed it was going to suck ass.  Maybe I'll order it on amazon.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 10:08:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 10:20:14 PM EDT
[#27]
GW has a big release tomorrow.  They are teasing a 40k Custodes army currently.  . That and supposedly there is a primary release coming up, rumor is it is the Lion or Leman Russ.  Personally I’d prefer Corvus Corax or Vulcan though, and that’s coming from someone who’s played wolves and angels.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 10:38:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
GW has a big release tomorrow.  They are teasing a 40k Custodes army currently.  . That and supposedly there is a primary release coming up, rumor is it is the Lion or Leman Russ.  Personally I’d prefer Corvus Corax or Vulcan though, and that’s coming from someone who’s played wolves and angels.
View Quote
It IS the Wolftime...
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 11:45:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Give me the Lion!
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 12:22:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Why not both, thats both a Traitor and Loyalist Primarch
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 3:40:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 5:41:53 AM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/TbeD6Jw.png
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 6:34:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 3:57:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Looks like they're gonna build up the 40k Custodes Army. Should be interesting to see how that army is gonna play. Gotta figure it's gonna be smallish like a Grey Knights army.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 4:00:31 PM EDT
[#35]
My brother is a big fan  of the Total War game.

I may give it a try one day.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 4:23:32 PM EDT
[#37]
What the fuck is a Drukhari?
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 5:27:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

What is the bottom one?
View Quote
its a valkyrie converted with the nose and mid section of a mi-24 hind.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 6:44:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
I love me some TW:W and TW:W2, I got all the expansions, both games, all races, and lords.

Its my favorite PC game to date, and a wonderful sendoff to "The World that Was"

Tomb-Kings are coming in a couple weeks.

Settra does not serve. Settra Rules.

(I prefer WHFB to 30/40k)
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 7:07:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
What the fuck is a Drukhari?
View Quote
Proprietary name for the Dark Eldar.

I hate the new naming conventions/dynamics.  The new Imperial Guard unit names are the worst, but the new Space Marine unit names aren't much better.

Best.
JBR
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 7:09:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Proprietary name for the Dark Eldar.

I hate the new naming conventions/dynamics.  The new Imperial Guard unit names are the worst, but the new Space Marine unit names aren't much better.

Best.
JBR
View Quote
Well. I,guess I have a Drukhari army then.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 10:47:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is the bottom one?
Looks good..............I like it
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 11:11:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Is it just me, or does it look like the jetbikes have hurricane bolters or missile pods on top of rider weapons?

Link Posted: 1/6/2018 11:48:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Yeah, they just made up my mind which army I'm working on after I get my Thousand Sons done.  Even if the rumors of 40k rules for the Forgeworld Custodes aren't accurate.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 11:57:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Yeah, they just made up my mind which army I'm working on after I get my Thousand Sons done.  Even if the rumors of 40k rules for the Forgeworld Custodes aren't accurate.
View Quote
Thousand Sons is going to be getting an awesome looking spawn soon too. ;)
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 12:06:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's still up in the air, whether I want to add any Tzaangors or Mutaliths to my army.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 12:55:19 AM EDT
[#47]
been wanting to make a custodes army after seeing pictures from the card game and reading some fluff years before they even made any. will be getting some for sure.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 1:17:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I love me some TW:W and TW:W2, I got all the expansions, both games, all races, and lords.

Its my favorite PC game to date, and a wonderful sendoff to "The World that Was"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're making me want to install it now.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Finally getting around to assembling all my Astra Militarum stuff. Are there basing rules for 8th? I don’t have my BRB near me.

Can I base the missile launcher dude and his loader on 25mm bases? Trying to stretch these heavy weapon team sprues out and get everything on them based.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 10:35:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Finally getting around to assembling all my Astra Militarum stuff. Are there basing rules for 8th? I don’t have my BRB near me.

Can I base the missile launcher dude and his loader on 25mm bases? Trying to stretch these heavy weapon team sprues out and get everything on them based.
View Quote
Just order some 60mm bases on Ebay.
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top