Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:06:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I park my vehicles in a Faraday cage when I'm home.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:07:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If emp strikes..I don’t think my vehicle running will make much of a difference
View Quote

this. all the stopped vehicles on the roads will make your car useless. better get one of these

Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:07:47 PM EDT
[#3]
PT Barnum was right.

Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have yet to reach that level of paranoia.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:09:42 PM EDT
[#5]
My avatar cars are EMP proof.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:10:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Waste of money; a nuclear HEMP can fry low voltage electronics at the circuit board level even if they are not plugged or powered on. For a shunting to ground device like that one to have a real chance of working you'd have to have multiple of those shunts in your car, one on each sub circuit in the vehicle.

IF you believe that device is going to protect your vehicle against a nuclear H.E.M.P you'd have to believe that you could stop emp damage to your car just by tying the negative and positive battery connectors together. Now if you want to believe that you'd save $329 by buying the similar $60 devices here:

T.R.A.P.-B EMP Vehicle Protection

And here's their cigarette lighter plug shunt version
https://shop.cavestock.com/shop/t-r-a-p/

Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:10:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yep. Got a spare points distributor for my K5 Blazer around here somewhere...
View Quote

You don't need a spare distributor or anything like it.

An EMP will cause the magnetic field in the ignition coil to collapse ....  MOMENTARILY.    Even if the engine stops running, it can be restarted just fine.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:17:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ok, so lets just pretend that an EMP takes out every car on the road except yours.  

You really want to be the only guy with a running truck?  At the very least, EVERY friend you ever had is going to ask you to help them move.  At worst, you've put a target on your back and you'll be killed for it.  
View Quote

Yup, to stay alive you'll need to make sure it is a manual transmission just so that they'll conscript you to drive Miss Daisy
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:24:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank God all the electric gas pumps will continue to work.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:25:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Please explain how a box with 2 wires could protect a vehicle from EMP.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:26:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Why lol

EMPs really only effect large systems like power grids
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:27:14 PM EDT
[#12]
The aliens aren't going to use anything as mundane as EM Ps.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:29:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Mostly we're talking about nuclear events. Starship Prime was the big test we did in the 60's that generated a large EMP and damaged electronics almost 1000 miles away.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_electromagnetic_pulse

Thankfully we've abstained from nuclear war for almost 80 years.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’m clearly the dumbest person in the room, but could someone please post a link to a good explanation of exactly how an EMP weapon works, how it is going to damage my electronics, and a documented case of this happening? Not something theoretical - I want something factual.

I mean, according to this thread we already have “EMP Weapons.” Someone here “designs this stuff for a living” and apparently we’ve modified B52s to be “EMP Resistant.”

What do these weapons look like? What is their range? What mechanism is used to damage electronics? What kind of electronics? Which components, specifically, are damaged? How do the various “protective” devices stop the process that would otherwise damage stuff? How and where were they tested?

I’ve only ever seen these referenced in post-apocalyptic fiction and sci-fi movies like The Matrix, and in masturbatory fantasy threads here. I’m not actually convinced they are an actual threat. I’m open to being convinced, but I’m going to need some documentation, which seems to be conspicuously absent from these threads.

Mostly we're talking about nuclear events. Starship Prime was the big test we did in the 60's that generated a large EMP and damaged electronics almost 1000 miles away.

I just read your Wikipedia, as well as the entry for Starfish Prime. It sounds super-serious and scary. “knocking out about 300 streetlights,[1]:?5? setting off numerous burglar alarms, and damaging a telephone company microwave link.”

But there is a lot NOT there. This was1962, and I assume there were plenty of televisions, radios, cars, and electrical appliances in use on Hawaii. But there was apparently no damage to any of those things. A few streetlights went out, some 1962 burglar alarms went off, and a single microwave link (again - a 1962 microwave link) was “damaged.” I would guess that a single thunderstorm has produced more damage to those same systems.

The other example cited was a Russian test above one of the ‘stans, also in the 1960s. Again, the “damage” is referenced in a general sense, and doesn’t seem to include the specific dangers (like everybody’s car suddenly becoming a brick) that everyone is freaking out about here.

I remain wary, but unconvinced.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:31:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Three wires.

My understanding is it shunts positive, negative and body together when the EMP overvoltage happens. Once the event passes it returns to normal.

This should prevent voltage differentials across sensitive electronics that would kill them.
View Quote

So, this will protect the entire vehicle?  What about stuff inside the vehicle?

I am kind of ignorant of EMP and how it works.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Where am I supposed to connect it if I've already got my SHARK 87000 FUEL ATOMIZER 50MPG AS SEEN ON TV, connected to the battery?
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:35:56 PM EDT
[#16]
You know all you have to do it turn it off. In testing vehicles run just fine during an EMP event by being turned off. about 85% of running vehicles had no problem during an emp event. IT seems like a great way to empty your wallet to protect it from emp.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:37:10 PM EDT
[#17]
There’s probably nothing even in the box except some hot glue to hold the wires.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:41:32 PM EDT
[#18]
EMP isn’t going to do much to your vehicle. You should be more worried about the effects on systems with long wires, like transmission lines.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#19]
If my car gets fried by an EMP event I have far bigger problems than ever a little box will solve.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:44:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I’m clearly the dumbest person in the room, but could someone please post a link to a good explanation of exactly how an EMP weapon works, how it is going to damage my electronics, and a documented case of this happening? Not something theoretical - I want something factual.

I mean, according to this thread we already have “EMP Weapons.” Someone here “designs this stuff for a living” and apparently we’ve modified B52s to be “EMP Resistant.”

What do these weapons look like? What is their range? What mechanism is used to damage electronics? What kind of electronics? Which components, specifically, are damaged? How do the various “protective” devices stop the process that would otherwise damage stuff? How and where were they tested?

I’ve only ever seen these referenced in post-apocalyptic fiction and sci-fi movies like The Matrix, and in masturbatory fantasy threads here. I’m not actually convinced they are an actual threat. I’m open to being convinced, but I’m going to need some documentation, which seems to be conspicuously absent from these threads.
View Quote

First, let's discuss lightning.
Most items damaged by lightning are not subjected to the lightning bolt itself.  They are damaged because of an induced high-voltage spike in the wiring system they are connected to.
So if lightning hits a tree in your yard, a spike is induced in the power lines and/or wiring in your home and might damage your TV etc.

EMP is basically the same thing at an altitude that lets the electromagnetic wave generated by the nuclear bomb radiate to as much infrastructure as possible.
But the local effect is the same as the local lightning bolt, you get a high-voltage transient spike induced in any conductors the wave hits.
That's why the grid is so susceptible, in theory, it's a giant antenna the wave will theoretically hit 'at the same time'.
The smaller the device, the less energy it can absorb, although it's components may also be more sensitive.

There are several mitigation methods of varying usefulness.
Placing a phone in a metal box will certainly reduce the amount of EMF it sees, but of course, it's not doing you any good as a phone at that point.
A faraday cage isn't that useful if it has power wires running into it or communication wires.
The device in the OP is a 'lightning protector', I typed it like that because nothing is really going to protect any electronics from a direct lightning strike.
So what does it do?  It CAN shunt the energy of a smaller induced spike like the local lightning strike scenario above.  There are several different types of these, but they all basically function as a device which is only conductive ABOVE a specified voltage.
They are connected from line-to-line or from line-to-neutral or line-to-ground or all of those.  As soon as the voltage rises above their threshold, they turn into a short circuit and shunt the spike to common/ground.

To my knowledge, no air-detonated tests have been done, so it's all 'theoretical' until that happens.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:44:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I have one of these I got on here in the EE for $55.

I never installed it.

If interested in it, OP can buy for $55, or, if anyone wants to send me $55 to open it up and take pics to post on here I'd be glad to do that too.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:46:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

This the OP bought the snake oil. You cars computer is already in a aluminum box
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:48:45 PM EDT
[#23]
My bus pass will still work after an EMP.  

You guys will still be paying 7% interest on your non-functioning shitboxes.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:48:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Black green and red wires bro.  The sciences are clear.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#25]
But, but... muh carburetor and points!
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 3:58:44 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm sure the manufacturer offers a money-back guarantee if there's a grid-toasting EMP and the device fails to protect your car, so what have you got to lose?  
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 4:02:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If I was rich I would have a farady cage garage with spare vehicles.
View Quote

Does this count?

Link Posted: 2/15/2023 4:15:28 PM EDT
[#28]
LOL!

The Government has released an EMP Executive order & Homeland Security is urging people to get prepared quickly!
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 4:16:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you have the only car running in a neighborhood…

And you think catalytic converter thieves are dangerous. Imagine your neighbors pulling a gun on you to take your car.

If you loaded up your vehicle, you could relocate somewhere where there are less people.

Buy you some time.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 4:21:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 4:25:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Does this count?

https://i.imgur.com/kJc8kb4.jpg
View Quote

No overhead power lines coming in, so better than usual.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 4:27:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Probably just a surge protector with MOV's designed to 'explode' when hit with high voltage.  Typical for commercial grade SPD's (surge protection device).  That's ONE of the reasons the internals are encased in epoxy.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 4:39:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I just read your Wikipedia, as well as the entry for Starfish Prime. It sounds super-serious and scary. “knocking out about 300 streetlights,[1]:?5? setting off numerous burglar alarms, and damaging a telephone company microwave link.”

But there is a lot NOT there. This was1962, and I assume there were plenty of televisions, radios, cars, and electrical appliances in use on Hawaii. But there was apparently no damage to any of those things. A few streetlights went out, some 1962 burglar alarms went off, and a single microwave link (again - a 1962 microwave link) was “damaged.” I would guess that a single thunderstorm has produced more damage to those same systems.

The other example cited was a Russian test above one of the ‘stans, also in the 1960s. Again, the “damage” is referenced in a general sense, and doesn’t seem to include the specific dangers (like everybody’s car suddenly becoming a brick) that everyone is freaking out about here.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One difference is the electric transmission line mileage in Hawaii was minimal.  Thus the "antenna" was relatively small.  Whereas over the US the density of the transmission system is exponentially higher, thus a much larger "antenna" to suck up the HEMP pulse.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 4:49:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/15/2023 5:41:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Ok, so lets just pretend that an EMP takes out every car on the road except yours.  

You really want to be the only guy with a running truck?  At the very least, EVERY friend you ever had is going to ask you to help them move.  At worst, you've put a target on your back and you'll be killed for it.  
View Quote

Meh,

I have a fleet of IDI diesels, no computers,  EMP-proof, and so simple a monkey can keep them running.  
That's one reason the D.O.E. used mine for running nuke convoys.  They're currently selling for 10k-30k. I'm going to open a car lot and sell them for 50k, in gold.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 5:45:11 PM EDT
[#37]
That is genius.  $400 for what amounts to a tiger attack preventer.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

My IDI diesels will run on any kind of filtered, diluted oil just fine without smoking.  Restaurant fry oil, used motor oil, hydraulic oil, etc.  Easy to store a few hundred gallons and it is mostly useless to anyone else.   Add a second fuel tank to my vehicles and the un-refueled range is 1200 miles.  Put two 55 gal drums in the back and that un-refueled range stretches to 2960 miles.

If the SHTF and gas stations can't pump, or it becomes too dangerous to get gas, I'm still mobile for a loooooong time.

Link Posted: 2/15/2023 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#39]
For what?
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 5:58:55 PM EDT
[#40]
I read right here that an EMP burst would NOT affect modern vehicles and that there were scientific testing to show as such.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 6:07:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

ETA...beat..a few times...I was late to the party...

This is my opinion.  I would like to have an option of a running vehicle but more than likely it won't matter.  If your that scared pick up a vehicle with an old diesel motor that is reliable.  No spark plugs and the fuel pump is driven by the motor.  You only need two things once it is running, air and fuel in the right mixture.  Just be aware that most if not all of these engines will draw "noise attention" unless 87% of the US is dead.

I guess the biggest question is what type of EMP are we going to be hit with?

Low altitude EMP, much more damage to localized stuff but on a broad scale not a big area (fingers crossed for Shitshow, San Fran, the Big Apple, or a few other locations; no offense to people stuck behind enemy lines though).  High altitude EMP, really wide spread damage but they determined that most vehicles would run, might have a dreaded check engine light but not "totally out of the game."  A high altitude EMP would take down power grids as the long bundled wires we have strung out across the US would be very susceptible to this, look up the Carrington event as an example.  I think a study done like 20 years ago determined that if they did one of these over the central US, the US would be divided in half.  Probably 50% or more would be dead within the year due to food shortages and things that happen during hard times.

The long term goal might be to have a few solar panels hidden in a bunker (aka EMP protected) with everything you need to have a functional solar electrical source for everything you NEED to power.  I would love to be able to store a big enough system for my entire house and an EV if I had one.  The reality is I would be a target if I left my lights on.  I need enough to power maybe a small refrigerator to store food I got (hunting or farming) but most likely I don't see the grocery store as being fully stocked....except maybe with criminals looking rob someone.  If you have medical equipment, add that on.  I would look at low power cooking devices and a few fans.  

We lived for thousands of years before A/C and heat, and it would suck but you can live.  I probably would have a room for a portable AC unit for the really bad times and hope I calculated my solar power needs enough to make it work.  Live in the basement in the winter and use the earth as a heat source though it would be cold still and a fireplace would come in handy.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 6:17:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Where am I supposed to connect it if I've already got my SHARK 87000 FUEL ATOMIZER 50MPG AS SEEN ON TV, connected to the battery?
View Quote

Right behind the flux capacitor....you do have one right....right....
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 6:19:19 PM EDT
[#43]
I have a hard time telling if you guys are serious anymore.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 6:22:53 PM EDT
[#44]
The hard part is going to be EMP protecting the very long supply chain to get the oil out of the ground and the gasoline into your car.

As an example: Florida.

Following a "little" and "temporary" disaster as a bit of windy and rainy weather* the people of Florida run out of fuel very fast, within days. Imagine following a nuclear war? Think Pablo is going to the Chevron to pump gas for you (with a hand pump?). You think John is driving a truck cross-country from Long Beach to your neighborhood to bring more gas?

Link Posted: 2/15/2023 6:23:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Its like the 3 sea shells
View Quote

Was methodology ever released to the public?
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

/want

In retirement it came to me that I'm living my 17-year old self's dreams and one of those is on my bucket list. I want to ride down to the driving range and give the golfers a live target "kill dozer" at the driving range style. Hell how much could the fine possibly be anyway?
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Those of us who survive the nuclear exchange will be riding EVs until the roads give out and then it's back to horse and buggy.

I have strategically moved to a location with existing copper, iron, and coal mines with plenty of timber and fresh water.

Oh and good land.

Link Posted: 2/15/2023 6:30:51 PM EDT
[#48]
My 1955 Chevy is the cockroach of cars!
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Thanks to delco alternator technology my battery is stone dead again, am I protected?
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I keep my whole car wrapped in tinfoil. It's kind of hard to see out of any windows, but when the EMP comes I'll be protected.
View Quote

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top