Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don’t really care about the magazine thing.  Still wondering about this research about range, though.

For myself? I want the most capability and performance I can get from contact distance to 50 yards or so from the gun I carry every day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

33,000 SD situations only 1 went a 2nd mag.(John Correia NRA 23) Long distances SD comes into question. That's enough. By the way, I said for me and YMMV. RIF.

If you want a light and and dot to do SD at 50 yards and wear a plate....go for it. Let's try this again....YMMV.

I don’t really care about the magazine thing.  Still wondering about this research about range, though.

For myself? I want the most capability and performance I can get from contact distance to 50 yards or so from the gun I carry every day.

Now you are specific. 50 yards is a long way for a SD scenario. Not saying one way or the other. Is your life truly in jeopardy at 50 yards? Possible if they have an AR in hand. What is the mission? For me, is to get out alive. I would much rather run, evade, hide than engage at that distance with a high risk of being charged  or a stray bullet hit an innocent.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 7:55:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yeah like Elija Dickens or the dude that shot the church shooter with a 357 Sig from 75 feet away.

Jesus christ this place is full of ignorant luddites.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
RDS and light only on home defense weapon.

CCW neither. Research has shown that nearly all SD situations are within a few yards and practically never go to a second mag. Dots and irons within a few yards would not make a difference for me.

Me CCW, g26, irons, NS, IWB. Any additions makes it cumbersome for no reason. That is me. YMMV.

Yeah like Elija Dickens or the dude that shot the church shooter with a 357 Sig from 75 feet away.

So you gave me 2 examples out of thousands? Math is not hard. All - nearly all = few. Carry a firearm but also carry pepper spray. Wannabe Rambo are you? I also said, do as you wish. Math and reading is not hard.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 7:58:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Now you are specific. 50 yards is a long way for a SD scenario. Not saying one way or the other. Is your life truly in jeopardy at 50 yards? Possible if they have an AR in hand. What is the mission? For me, is to get out alive. I would much rather run, evade, hide than engage at that distance with a high risk of being charged  or a stray bullet hit an innocent.
View Quote

It’s pretty obvious that 50 yards is a long shot and unusual in a SD encounter. That being said, my skill level is certainly sufficient so I’d like to ensure the my carry gun makes it as easy as possible should the need arises. However, that’s why I stipulated “from contact distance to 50 yards”.

How long are the aisles at your local grocery store?

Or down your driveway?

I have a 25 yard shot just across the inside of my house.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

So you gave me 2 examples out of thousands? Math is not hard. All - nearly all = few. Carry a firearm but also carry pepper spray. Wannabe Rambo are you? I also said, do as you wish. Math and reading is not hard.
View Quote

Nobody is talking about Rambo anything.

I’m talking about speed and accuracy at any distance.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:04:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

We need the bingo card:

You won’t see your sights in a gunfight.
I shoot good enough with irons (despite not owning a timer, training to standards, or having any way to accurately asses performance.
I won’t have time to turn it on!
Tried it for 20 minutes with no dryfire and couldn’t find the dot so I gave up.
What if I get it wet/bbq sauce/someone attacks you with water balloons full of black paint and sand?
BULK!
No advantage within 25 yards and 99.999999% of gunfights are at nipple-to-nipple distance.
ELECTRONIC THINGS BREAK IRONS NEVER FAIL

I mean, irons are fine and you can perform at a very high level with them but most of the arguments against optics are just nonsensical.
View Quote

Lmao. Holy crap you have no damn clue what you are talking about.

First 99% of all the optics are already turned on and you don't have to touch a button.
Your failure to use an optic correctly or get training or help to learn how to use one proves nothing. They are much simpler to use than iron sights. You use them differently and focus on your target with both eyes open and raise your pistol into your view then the dot transposed on your target.

We train with the optic occluded fully and the dot will supper impose to your opposite eye and you still make shots extremely effectively, so your point about getting it covered is pointless, and they are waterproof.

They are extremely usefull within 25 meters and in, especially with uncommon firing positions where you couldn't get a proper sight picture with irons as you don't need to align all your sights. It is also much faster than iron sights. And iron sights do fail. They break and fall off as well.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:05:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

First 99% of all the optics are already turned on and you don't have to touch a button.
Your failure to use an optic correctly or get training or help to learn how to use one proves nothing. They are much simpler to use than iron sights. You use them differently and focus on your target with both eyes open and raise your pistol into your view then the dot transposed on your target.

We train with the optic occluded fully and the dot will supper impose to your opposite eye and you still make shots extremely effectively, so your point about getting it covered is pointless, and they are waterproof.

They are extremely ysefull within 25 meters and in, especially with uncommon firing positions where you couldn't get a proper sight picture with irons as you don't need to align all your sights. It is also much faster than iron sights. And iron sights do fail. They break and fall off as well.
View Quote

Bro…
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They are extremely ysefull within 25 meters and in, especially with uncommon firing positions where you couldn't get a proper sight picture with irons as you don't need to align all your sights. It is also much faster than iron sights. And iron sights do fail. They break and fall off as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We need the bingo card:

I shoot good enough with irons (despite not owning a timer, training to standards, or having any way to accurately asses performance.
What if I get it wet/bbq sauce/someone attacks you with water balloons full of black paint and sand?
BULK!
No advantage within 25 yards and 99.999999% of gunfights are at nipple-to-nipple distance.

I mean, irons are fine and you can perform at a very high level with them but most of the arguments against optics are just nonsensical.

Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:09:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
RDS and light only on home defense weapon.

CCW neither. Research has shown that nearly all SD situations are within a few yards and practically never go to a second mag. Dots and irons within a few yards would not make a difference for me.

Me CCW, g26, irons, NS, IWB. Any additions makes it cumbersome for no reason. That is me. YMMV.

Pulls the "math is hard" card but can't produce a study that shows that "nearly all" are within "a few yards".

Pull another statistic out of your office so we can continue to laugh at you!
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:10:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

He has a staff. I met the staff. Good people. Still, you need to do you. I've not spent a penny on his material. I agree, the car ears is a tad off. But so are you so it balances out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

33,000 SD situations only 1 went a 2nd mag.(John Correia NRA 23) Long distances SD comes into question. That's enough. By the way, I said for me and YMMV. RIF.

If you want a light and and dot to do SD at 50 yards and wear a plate....go for it. Let's try this again....YMMV.

The guy who wears cat ears at the range?  

Yeah.  I am certain he's watched 33,000 videos of shootings, and there's no way he's making up a number to sell his "training."

(In 2017 it was 12,000, which means he's watched/analyzed another 10 shootout videos per day, every single day, for 6 years straight)

He has a staff. I met the staff. Good people. Still, you need to do you. I've not spent a penny on his material. I agree, the car ears is a tad off. But so are you so it balances out.

Great, so you doubled down on appeal to authority fallacy.

By your own argument, anything that holds more than 7 rounds should be banned considering the "average" SD shoot out, right?
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Pulls the "math is hard" card but can't produce a study that shows that "nearly all" are within "a few yards".

View Quote

Look man… it’s research, ok?
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Great, so you doubled down on appeal to authority fallacy.

By your own argument, anything that holds more than 7 rounds should be banned considering the "average" SD shoot out, right?
View Quote

Download your mags, Rambo.

You wanna go running around with a plate carrier and 15 round mags be my guest. I’ll stick to the research.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:16:16 PM EDT
[#12]
“I have a horrible level of astigmatism in both eyes. “

If you are not aware
Prism sights for many who have astigmatism are seen as a normal clear round dot
I know we are talking handgun RDS. I don’t know if any of the micro prism sights are slide rated
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:16:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It’s pretty obvious that 50 yards is a long shot and unusual in a SD encounter. That being said, my skill level is certainly sufficient so I’d like to ensure the my carry gun makes it as easy as possible should the need arises. However, that’s why I stipulated “from contact distance to 50 yards”.

Or down your driveway?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or down your driveway?

Fair comment. I stipulated earlier that in my home, I have a RDS and light. That is for home only. Shooting across a driveway or down an aisle when escape was an option may prove fatal legally. Then again, I know some who are just as skilled with irons as with RDS at 50 yards. It is likely I can do better with rds at 50 yards, but then again, I will use my brain to get myself out of that situation.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:18:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Tapping out. Use dots, don't use dots. It's a personal thing. As usual, I got caught up in a pissing contest. See you in another thread. Have a happy weekend.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Might as well get the retardation started early in this thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Optics for range toys and "tactical" toys.

Irons, or no sights, for CCW.   I could care less if my Trijicon dots are lit, etc.  Point and shoot.  Any further than that and I'm either evading, or using a long gun

Might as well get the retardation started early in this thread.

Pretty girls are everywhere.

Functional retards are not.

We are the prize, gentlemen.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:22:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

LOL.

Tell me.  Do you think this shooter is using his optic?  It's only 30 feet.  There are also penalties involved for landing hits "anywhere" on a silhouette.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/At5qXI7ZOYU

View Quote

What do I care about the silly rules of your gun game, with your targets a million miles away? When I blast dirt clods they asplode no matter where I hit them. Ever had a milk jug laugh off a c zone hit? Me neither.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Bro…
View Quote

Sorry. I saw what you said and missed you saying we need a bingo card.. my appologies.. just so damn many clueless people posting in here about optics and really no experience on how to use them correctly.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:24:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Pretty girls are everywhere.

Functional retards are not.

We are the prize, gentlemen.
View Quote

Word ????????
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:24:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Sorry. I saw what you said and missed you saying we need a bingo card.. my appologies.. j7st so damn many clueless people posting in here..
View Quote

No man… I fucking loved it ??
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:25:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I was thinking about upgrading from my standard gen 5 G19 to a new MOS G19 and putting one of the holoson enclosed emitter dots on it but my favorite holster doesnt make a holster for that setup. I run a safariland ALS btw.
View Quote

The 6360 will fit with a 509t/acro/mps the little cover won’t latch however.

The 6378 and 7000 series can be had also the above depending on light selection.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:26:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Bro…
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:32:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What do I care about the silly rules of your gun game, with your targets a million miles away? When I blast dirt clods they asplode no matter where I hit them. Ever had a milk jug laugh off a c zone hit? Me neither.
View Quote

Every single guy who says “silly gun game” can’t shoot for fuck.

YOU used the figure of 7-10 yards.  

The distance for that classifier is…. 10 yards.

I don’t know where you’re getting “million miles away from.”

I didn’t ask for a retarded diatribe, I asked if you think that guy is using his optic or if he would use his sights.  The answer is fuck yes, he is.  Despite running that stage at your “point shoot distance” of 7-10 yards.

Humans are not dirt piles nor milk jugs.  There is a reason CENTER of mass is a thing.  There is a reason the A zone gets you more points than the C or D zone on a target.

You shoot a guy in the shoulder instead of the heart, you’ve just given him time to kill you.

Precision matters, even at close distances.

Of course you don’t care because you don’t understand my point, or you brush it off because it shows you to be wrong.

Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:34:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Probably not the first one to say this, but I'll say it anyway.

I have a P365X wearing a Holosun 407K in green. I have an M&P 2.0 Compact 3.6" wearing a Holosun 507K on an adapter plate. I have an M&P 2.0 Full-size 4" wearing a Trijicon RMR that I took off the Compact 3.6". First two are my CCW pistols and the third is for my battle belt.

I own a variety of other pistols and they don't wear dots of any variety. For example, I have a Walther PK380 that I don't carry, same goes for a Makarov I just picked up, just a few pistols that honestly don't need dots. I'm good with irons, I'm really good with dots, I have them on my carry guns, no need for more IMHO.

I'm eyeing a S&W Model 19 and I don't think I'll be putting a dot on my first revolver, especially one that's not set up to take one
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:36:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Imagine if the RDS naysayers spent time practicing drawing from holster, working on presentation, and dry fired instead of arguing would see themselves improve..

Just say'n.
View Quote

I’d even argue that the quality of practice you can get with a rds makes it potentially cheaper to be proficient with then irons.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:36:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Every single guy who says “silly gun game” can’t shoot for fuck.

YOU used the figure of 7-10 yards.  

The distance for that classifier is…. 10 yards.

I don’t know where you’re getting “million miles away from.”

I didn’t ask for a retarded diatribe, I asked if you think that guy is using his optic or if he would use his sights.  The answer is fuck yes, he is.  Despite your “point shoot distance” of 7-10 yards.

Humans are not dirt piles nor milk jugs.  There is a reason CENTER of mass is a thing.  There is a reason the A zone gets you more points than the C or D zone on a target.

You shoot a guy in the shoulder instead of the heart, you’ve just given him time to kill you.

Precision matters, even at close distances.

Of course you don’t care because you don’t understand my point, or you brush it off because it shows you to be wrong.

View Quote

Look, if this is six inches (you can't see it, but I'm holding my thumb and pointer finger 6 inches apart according to my wife) then those targets are at at least 30 yards, maybe 50.

If humans aren't milk jugs, why are they both full of fluid?
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

They are extremely usefull within 25 meters and in, especially with uncommon firing positions where you couldn't get a proper sight picture with irons as you don't need to align all your sights. It is also much faster than iron sights. And iron sights do fail. They break and fall off as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We need the bingo card:

BULK!

Uhm..

He is listing the excuses and statements from the naysayers.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:40:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I’d even argue that the quality of practice you can get with a rds makes it potentially cheaper to be proficient with then irons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Imagine if the RDS naysayers spent time practicing drawing from holster, working on presentation, and dry fired instead of arguing would see themselves improve..

Just say'n.

Some cannot handle when a red dot tells them their presentation sucks.

They embrace the warmth of the irons telling them they are close enough.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:41:12 PM EDT
[#28]
The dirty optic thing doesn’t make much sense to me I ankle carry a gun with an optic. It’s not a lot of effort to blow off the lens or hit it with a lens pen it can have some dirt on it and work.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:41:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Bro…
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bro…

Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:42:07 PM EDT
[#30]
the reasons they make ideal carry weapons are small size and light weight. that means adding bulk and weight for something i will likely never use makes no sense. i have spare rds's sitting around too, but i would never put them on my pistol. the same reason i don't put a suppressor nor any other accessory on my pistol, it needs to be small and light and it is only reserved for emergency use and practice for emergencies. in fact, i think my pistol is 17+1, but i only load it to 16+1 or 15+1 (i don't remember). pistols are only gtfo and call the police weapons, they are not a fafo weapon.

the same is true for everything else i don't ever expect to use. i don't add extra padding to my seat belts. i don't add extra hose attachments for my fire extinguisher.

i recommend against using a pistol for any serious use. there are much better options for literally every other function. rds on a pistol is huge marketing success, but has no practical application. basically, pcc is everything a pistol is but better. putting a stock on a pistol for recoil and shrinking the ready weapon profile is a huge advantage. which allows for a suppressor and a real optic. speaking of rds, rds is kind of a trash optic anyway. almost always, thermal is better or lpvo. i've literally never seen a thermal on a pistol before.

tldr: pistols are trash, with the only redeeming quality being ideal for carry. rds are trash always.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#31]
I can’t believe I almost missed this shit show of retardation.

Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:43:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This must be what it was like 25 years ago when Aimpoints became popular... lots of ignoramuses trying very hard to argue against them.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:44:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

the reasons they make ideal carry weapons are small size and light weight. that means adding bulk and weight for something i will likely never use makes no sense. i have spare rds's sitting around too, but i would never put them on my pistol. the same reason i don't put a suppressor nor any other accessory on my pistol, it needs to be small and light and it is only reserved for emergency use and practice for emergencies. in fact, i think my pistol is 17+1, but i only load it to 16+1 or 15+1 (i don't remember). pistols are only gtfo and call the police weapons, they are not a fafo weapon.

the same is true for everything else i don't ever expect to use. i don't add extra padding to my seat belts. i don't add extra hose attachments for my fire extinguisher.

i recommend against using a pistol for any serious use. there are much better options for literally every other function. rds on a pistol is huge marketing success, but has no practical application. basically, pcc is everything a pistol is but better. putting a stock on a pistol for recoil and shrinking the ready weapon profile is a huge advantage. which allows for a suppressor and a real optic. speaking of rds, rds is kind of a trash optic anyway. almost always, thermal is better or lpvo. i've literally never seen a thermal on a pistol before.

tldr: pistols are trash, with the only redeeming quality being ideal for carry. rds are trash always.
View Quote

RDS are like a body lift on a truck.

Does very little for actual performance. Makes short guys with small weenies feel tough.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:44:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Look at all the bulk this added….I probably need to add a sling.

Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:44:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Look, if this is six inches (you can't see it, but I'm holding my thumb and pointer finger 6 inches apart according to my wife) then those targets are at at least 30 yards, maybe 50.

If humans aren't milk jugs, why are they both full of fluid?
View Quote

Some humans are more like milk jugs than others.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL you’re right.  They’re 30-50 yards

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:46:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

whatisthisicanteven
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:46:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

#BULK
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:46:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Does very little for actual performance. Makes short guys with small weenies feel tough.
View Quote

Then why is there such a large difference in performance when you’re tracking results?
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:47:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:47:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This must be what it was like 25 years ago when Aimpoints became popular... lots of ignoramuses trying very hard to argue against them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was exactly like this in the early 2000's with rifles.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:48:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:49:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Then why is there such a large difference in performance when you’re tracking results?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I lifted my 2wd truck my dick grew 2 inches. Facts.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:49:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

different decade, same dolts
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:49:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Then why are the RDS bros beating your irons at matches?
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:50:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/832B67D2-FFDD-4EF9-85BC-7F9E0B77ACD0-2443399.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/397309/832B67D2-FFDD-4EF9-85BC-7F9E0B77ACD0-2443399.jpg

How do you even carry that?
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:50:08 PM EDT
[#47]
How will your dot handle black paint and sand?
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:51:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I died 3 times just today….but I was only mostly dead.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:52:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

2 extra inches of #bulk
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:52:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
How will your dot handle black paint and sand?
View Quote

WHAT IF SOMEONE RUNS MUH OPTIC UNDER THE FAUCET
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top