BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 19
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 1:56:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think the religion captures some good Truth, but I honestly don't know how anyone can actually believe the ridiculous and obvious man-made mythology.  There was no virgin birth, Jesus wasn't divine, he didn't rise from the dead, and he's not the only path to salvation.  Forget about all that stupid crap, OP, but don't forget what the religion actually gets right.
View Quote

I’m sorry to say that it doesn’t work this way. You can’t just take what you like and leave the rest. That road has the led the church, in large part, to the place it is now. Flexibility seems like a good thing at first, but principal is that which gives foundation to all community.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 1:58:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You may have read a bible, but was it a King James bible?

And if you aren't saved then you won't get much from it.

There are no contradictions or errors in the King James bible, only between your ears.

View Quote

I prefer the King James version, but it doesn't mean all other versions are 100% bad.

How is he supposed to get saved if not for reading Gods word to see how ?

I don't think your post makes much sense or is very helpful.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 1:59:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'd like to know more about this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What you are referring to as errors are actually tensions. This is a Hebraic concept that we in the west don't really grasp very well. Our western mathematical minds need everything black and white. The Hebraic understanding of God is not so black and white.
I'd like to know more about this.

Same.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 2:00:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You’re overthinking this.  Follow the Ten Commandments.  Try to treat others the way you want to be treated.  Believe in forgiveness.  That’s the essence of being a good Christian.  Oh, you don’t need to go to church to be a Christian.  Teach your kids the same thing.  Organized religion has become infiltrated and corrupted by the Left.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 2:03:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

We had a ton of this after we lost our first baby. It was the turning point for my wife. No good came from seeing my baby die, nor my wife having to deliver him dead in the bathtub that night, but a lot of people said Good would use it for good...
View Quote

4 years old. My parents come home and tell my my best friend/5 year old sister is dead (car accident)

Dad died a slow painful death due to disease at 56.

Lost 4 pregnancies.  Held my still born child.

Many personal medical issues.

Wife diagnosed with the same cancer tha t killed her sister.

God has used EVERY ONE of these things for good in ways I could never understand at the time and in ways that cannot be explained any other way.

I don’t know why for me they affirmed my faith and for people who’ve experienced similar it ended it.

Link Posted: 7/4/2021 2:06:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

We had a ton of this after we lost our first baby. It was the turning point for my wife. No good came from seeing my baby die, nor my wife having to deliver him dead in the bathtub that night, but a lot of people said Good would use it for good...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As someone who has had to watch not one but 2 of my 3 kids suffer a syndrome that will likely take them before I die, if there is a "benevolent" god up there, I'd like to take my shot. If I have hear one more southern Karen tell me "he wouldn't give it to you if he didn't think you could handle it" I'm gonna lose it.

Op we lost our first the day before my wife due to be induced. She would be almost 11 now. I’ve known that pain and it’s a living hell and I’m sorry anyone else has ever had to feel it.

Good was able to come out of our pain. My wife worked diligently to help other women and families in similar circumstances and we grew in our faith out of it. Is that why we lost her? I don’t believe so.

My father killed himself after years of drug addiction about four years ago.  No good has come from that, mostly pain. But at the same time it’s given me a heart to try and understand and hopefully help people who are suffering depression and addiction. Have I helped them? I don’t know. I hope. Did God let that happen so pain and a little bit of good would come from it? I don’t believe so.

Rather my point is, this world is broken. There is disease and evil and death. Not a single thing in the Bible guarantees us happiness here. Quite the opposite. Jesus says “in this world you will have trouble, but take heart for I have overcome the world”. I find Revelation comforting. It says “And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes, and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain; for the former things are passed away”.

I’m not sure why you felt the need to announce you’re walking away from the faith but I hope it was a cry for help. I can see how and why a man would lose faith in this world. But I’ve also seen how faith can change a man for the better and what happens when a man loses that faith. I pray for you and your family and that you find what you’ve lost or realize that what you thought faith and the Bible and Christ might be something very different from what you’d been taught
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 2:07:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone that's actually read the book and still wants to participate in a religion founded on it hasn't understood what they've read. It's a vile work in the extreme and makes about as much sense as a M. Night Shyamalamadingdong movie being played for kindergarteners to teach them Hindi. OP can now just live a moral life based on objective judgements of morality and not have to deal with the intensely immoral and internally logically inconsistent strictures of a cobbled together work of stories made up by tribal bronze age goat herders.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 2:12:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I've certainly felt similar things to the OP over the years.  I've had my share of issues with "religion", and can recognize that those were with mankind and not with God.

The churchs vary as much as the humans that run them.  I understand that one can look past that and get "the message" from anywhere it is being delivered.  However, I seek places where the focus is on how the lessons of the Bible can be used to enhance your life and the lives of others around you.

As with many topics, humans at both extremes constantly remind me I don't belong to their club.    I'd rather be sitting on a mountain thinking about God, than stuck in their church thinking about the mountains.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 2:13:04 PM EDT
[#9]
OP, I’ll be praying for you to find the wisdom you need to come back to him. Sometimes God allows us to wander in the desert for a while when we can no longer believe in the place we are at (it’s happened to me). Just don’t wander too long, or you may never come back and your heart will be hardened.
Sometimes, you may not get the answers you are searching for; that’s why we must swallow our pride and trust by faith.

And putting aside the philosophical arguments, do you really think abandoning faith in God is going to make your life, the lives of others, and the world a better place?
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 2:15:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've certainly felt similar things to the OP over the years.  I've had my share of issues with "religion", and can recognize that those were with mankind and not with God.

The churchs vary as much as the humans that run them.  I understand that one can look past that and get "the message" from anywhere it is being delivered.  However, I seek places where the focus is on how the lessons of the Bible can be used to enhance your life and the lives of others around you.

As with many topics, humans at both extremes constantly remind me I don't belong to their club.    I'd rather be sitting on a mountain thinking about God, than stuck in their church thinking about the mountains.
View Quote

My man.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 2:16:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like you need a little Depeche Mode.

Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus (Remastered)
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 2:16:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Nothing has been responsible for pain, suffering and death more than religion.
View Quote

The ignorance of this statement is astounding. In the last century alone, 100 million dead at the hands of atheist communism would disagree.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 2:19:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The ignorance of this statement is astounding. In the last century alone, 100 million dead at the hands of atheist communism would disagree.
View Quote

Yep. It’s a commonly spread leftist lie aimed at destroying morality and Western civilization.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 2:20:23 PM EDT
[#14]
lol at all of the condescending believers in this thread literally telling the OP to turn his brain off.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 2:22:03 PM EDT
[#15]
strange to see so many people dedicated to fighting something they insist does not exist
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 2:22:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Your reasons seem more emotional that logical. I’m not telling you to believe in God. I don’t know what I believe either, but you just seem bitter. Maybe take a break and reevaluate things later.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 2:27:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

To each their own, but the above is correct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can be a good and moral person without believing in God.

To each their own, but the above is correct.
I always have an issue with this statement.

"You can be a good and moral person without believing in God"

By what metric? Good and moral in a society shaped by western Judeo/Christian morality? The Aztecs who ripped the beating hearts out of their sacrifices were good and moral by their cultural and religious mores so they were "good and moral" right?

Can you live in accordance with the Ten Commandments/western thought/Christian tenets without believing in God, of course. But the morality that you are espousing as good and moral is Judeo-Christian morality.

So if you don't believe in it, why follow it and call it moral?
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 2:31:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This guy gets it.

I don't have a problem with God or Jesus.

Its the fan club I can't stand most of the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You’re overthinking this.  Follow the Ten Commandments.  Try to treat others the way you want to be treated.  Believe in forgiveness.  That’s the essence of being a good Christian.  Oh, you don’t need to go to church to be a Christian.  Teach your kids the same thing.  Organized religion has become infiltrated and corrupted by the Left.

Quoted:

You can be a good and moral person without believing in God.

ETA:  Religion can be corrupted and used as a justification for horrific crimes like ISIS.

This guy gets it.

I don't have a problem with God or Jesus.

Its the fan club I can't stand most of the time.

Link Posted: 7/4/2021 2:42:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I believe in a supreme being, just not sure which one as everyone can't be right.

I believe in "karma" so avoid doing bad things.

I DO NOT believe in organized religion as it is usually corrupted by man and is full of hypocrites.

View Quote

I'm in the same boat with you!

Additionally, if I may add, I have had a problem with blaming my higher power, Jesus, God, or whomever it might be for you, with the cause and effect/affect that is other HUMANS, deeds, actions, etc., might create.

I have sat myself down and corrected my thought process many times as to NOT skewing this, as such.

I've learned to separate the two.

Link Posted: 7/4/2021 2:47:10 PM EDT
[#20]
"but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man."

Cool I like sex slaves.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 2:49:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Those “innocent” people you say God killed was doing this at the time….https://allthatsinteresting.com/moloch

Just saying….
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 2:52:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Some Christian Faiths believe you should question everything in religion including the Religious leadership. So maybe you were following a Faith that was not for you. As for the person who commented about losing his father I’m sorry for your loss but in Christianity we are taught to believe in your fathers gain of going to Heaven. I know it’s difficult to lose someone you love but believing in their going to Great After Life should be somewhat of a comfort. Have Faith that your father is with the LORD.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 2:57:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Fact is, a book compiled by a non Christian, 300 years after the death of Christ and had the sole purpose of exerting control over people.  They purposefully excluded 10 known "books" including some written by apostles, in order to create a bible that would support control, and that decision wasn't made until an additional meeting of the Nixean Council in 397. It's all about control.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 2:58:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Fact is, a book compiled by a non Christian, 300 years after the death of Christ and had the sole purpose of exerting control over people.  They purposefully excluded 10 known "books" including some written by apostles, in order to create a bible that would support control, and that decision wasn't made until an additional meeting of the Nixean Council in 397. It's all about control.
View Quote

So what did these ten omitted books say ?
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 3:01:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Doing your best to follow God’s law is actually the essence of being a good Jew, not a Christian.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 3:01:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
and yet, there was just a story of a lobster fisherman inside a whale's mouth who could have swallowed him if it wanted too. Everything was bigger back then too. ymmv
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They lost me at Jonah and the whale and Noah and the ark.

Even as a small child, I knew I was being lied to.
and yet, there was just a story of a lobster fisherman inside a whale's mouth who could have swallowed him if it wanted too. Everything was bigger back then too. ymmv

Pretty sure that was bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 3:06:09 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm late to the party, but I'll just say there's unfortunately a huge amount of variation in what groups of people who all identify as Christian actually believe.  I also think that all of us will agree that there are groups who identify as Christian but aren't, though we will disagree on who they are.  I'll not name names or provide specific examples, but I will say that just because your denomination may be distasteful does not necessarily mean that you find Christianity itself distasteful.  I know it's frustrating.  It took me awhile to deal with this myself, but look around.  Do not be afraid to honestly question things and follow that where it leads you.  If you're sincere in your search, you'll end up where you need to be.  

If I can make one suggestion, it would be to just study the history of Christianity and maybe a little philosophy.  The alternative idea that you should lock yourself in a room with the KJV and somehow come out without revisiting every heresy the church itself went through in the past 2000 years seems weird to me.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 3:07:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well how do you know that God was not behind the Nixean Council??? Also, did you know the current Gospels are the earliest records of Christ…closest to the actual events therefore more than likely to be accurate…
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 3:10:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

No idea. Never read them. I do think it's rather suspicious that some writings of James, John, and Peter were left out. What was it that was so controversial that Christians couldn't know about it?
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 3:11:58 PM EDT
[#30]
There is a lot to think about and consider. My sister is a liberal atheist who believes in reincarnation.....I am not as good a man as my Grandfather was but I try and I do believe in God. The thing that has always amazed me is how God will sometimes choose an ordinary person to do extraordinary things with the one common denominator an immense and unshakable faith. There are many examples and Desmond Doss is one. https://desmonddoss.com/bio/bio-real.php      

Life is not always "fair" and things that happen are often difficult to understand. My Father left to go to war in 1941 in the Army Air Corps and came home  severely broken, alcoholic and was never the man he was before he left.              

Link Posted: 7/4/2021 3:12:19 PM EDT
[#31]
I see a lot of "shit don't go my way so fuck religion"....not sure if those people understand the religion.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 3:12:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It was a gradual process for me, too. When I was young I couldn't even comprehend that the dogma wasn't true, and now I'm astounded that I actually believed that happy horseshit.

It began when I started asking what evidence there was for things like a talking snake or a worldwide flood or a virgin giving birth.

"It's in the Bible.", they said.

"Yeah, but what evidence is there that it's true?"

"It's in the Bible."

"I know. There's a lot of incredible stuff in Harry Potter books, too. What evidence is there that it's true?"

"It's in the Bible."

In other words, there is no evidence. There's none for any other religion, either.

Anyway, you have what it takes to think on your own. Get over the resentment of being bullshitted for so long, then go and be free!
View Quote

This is pretty much where I'm at. I hear a lot of people on this thread saying my problem was I believed everything in the bible. They are saying if you only believe the believable parts, then you're good to go. Anything that is clearly wrong, just think of it as an example...
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 3:12:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

No idea. Never read them. I do think it's rather suspicious that some writings of James, John, and Peter were left out. What was it that was so controversial that Christians couldn't know about it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So the text of these books is unknown yet their existence is known ?
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 3:16:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

God gave you free will, use it as you will.
View Quote

Absolutely this.

Teach your kids to be moral individuals. God lives within YOU.  
Churches are just clubs. Some clubs suck and some are awsome.

As far as God speaking to you..you might be looking to close.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 3:20:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Your thread title and scripture don't align, and you claim to have read the Bible.  In the word, Christ clearly states that those who left the faith (apostates) were never believers to start.  If you are an unbeliever, then fine.  But don't show up claiming to have outsmarted God.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 3:21:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the thinking is that the other books weren't by the authors or from lessor reliable.  You can read them if you want, you can read other books that claim Devine inspiration and if you are born of the same Spirit, you should have no problem knowing what was God breathed and what has another breath on it lol. Learn to recognize the voice of the Holy Spirit because He testifies to Jesus being the Way, Truth and Life.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#37]
That is why my wife left it. It's nothing but fear mongering and judgement based beliefs yet many of these so called teachers of this religion are hypocrites themselves.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 3:33:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Well how do you know that God was not behind the Nixean Council??? Also, did you know the current Gospels are the earliest records of Christ…closest to the actual events therefore more than likely to be accurate…
View Quote

I don't know any of these things, though, one has to wonder why books written by apostles were left out. Are those not likely to be contemporary with Christ... you know, cause they were there?
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 3:34:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

People die. Young. Old. In the middle. Sometimes of sickness. Sometimes for no reason. Sometimes due to other's choices. That's life.

View Quote

Some religions teach there is a loving God where the God of the old testament was a vengeful God.  The idea of "that's life" backs the vengeful God.

The loving God is portrayed as knowing you before you were born, knows every hair on your head, and had Jesus rebuke those who were preventing children from coming to him.  We see comments here of people saying they will pray for the person, as if a kind loving God will help out.  The OP explained how he never felt he received any help ever.  The difference again highlights vengeful vs is loving.  

If children are so sacred and special then why would a loving God allow children with cancer?  Hey child you are special and loved, here is cancer now suffer a miserable very short life and die.  Adults will claim their struggles is just God testing their faith as way to explain it.  A child can't comprehend that, so why are they inflicted with misery and death?  Some will argue it is to test the parents faith.  Meaning the loving God allows a child suffer and die...even though Jesus said that was one of the worst things ever.  

I don't have any answers, just lots of questions that can't be answered.  From my experiences what I see is we still have a vengeful God.  Feel free to watch the Cancer Awareness video and then explain how a loving God would allow that much misery, suffering, and death in children.

Childhood Cancer Awareness - Save the Children

Link Posted: 7/4/2021 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Who said the text was unknown. I said I've never read them.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 3:38:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you use the texts as a reason to doubt religion yet you’ve never read them ?
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 3:38:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

And that right there is a big problem - and just one of many things that gets me labeled as a heretic by nearly all modern denominations despite being a believer.

"Divinely inspired" should not be conflated with "infallibly correct", especially throughout not only thousands of years, but also translations between many different languages. The supposed "perfection" of any given translation is something that should give anyone pause, including the faithful.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was taught that every word of the Bible is truth, that there is not even one error...

And that right there is a big problem - and just one of many things that gets me labeled as a heretic by nearly all modern denominations despite being a believer.

"Divinely inspired" should not be conflated with "infallibly correct", especially throughout not only thousands of years, but also translations between many different languages. The supposed "perfection" of any given translation is something that should give anyone pause, including the faithful.

I've been saying this for a long time, and GD told me I wasn't a Christian

Men make mistakes.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 3:40:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

the thinking is that the other books weren't by the authors or from lessor reliable.  You can read them if you want, you can read other books that claim Devine inspiration and if you are born of the same Spirit, you should have no problem knowing what was God breathed and what has another breath on it lol. Learn to recognize the voice of the Holy Spirit because He testifies to Jesus being the Way, Truth and Life.
View Quote

Hard pass, thanks. I grew up in a Baptist household. Saw all sorts of shit that wasn't not consistent with Christian values, from child abuse to adulterous behavior between the preacher and a paritioner. Saw my Vatholic cousins get abortions on the advice of a Catholic Aunt and show up on Sunday for communion.  I've probably met half a dozen people in my years that were trying to live by the teachings of christ. Not interested in the fantasy anymore.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 3:46:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

So you use the texts as a reason to doubt religion yet you’ve never read them ?
View Quote

Oh, I've read the bible and I've seen what Christians do. No desire to go dig up forgotten texts of a faith I abandoned in favor of my ancestors faith. I do, however, appreciate theological discussions.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 3:50:22 PM EDT
[#45]
I've never understood the point of these posts.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 3:51:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
strange to see so many people dedicated to fighting something they insist does not exist
View Quote
strange to see many killed for not believing in that something they don't think exists.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 3:52:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Most answers here will address being more good than bad. “I don’t need religion to live a good and moral life”
Jesus said “all have sinned and come short of the glory of God” “all your good deed are as filthy rags (translated as dirty menstruel rags)”.
No one can achieve “goodness” on their own. It is only through the shed blood of Jesus Christ and His infinite grace that one can be “saved”.
That is the Gospel in a nutshell. But God gives us each free will. Otherwise we’d simply be puppets. “We love Him because He first loved us”
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 3:52:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I prefer the King James version, but it doesn't mean all other versions are 100% bad.

How is he supposed to get saved if not for reading Gods word to see how ?

I don't think your post makes much sense or is very helpful.
View Quote

Millions of people have been saved by accepting Jesus Christ died for their sins and accepting to follow Christ without ever reading a single page in the Bible.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Some religions teach there is a loving God where the God of the old testament was a vengeful God.  The idea of "that's life" backs the vengeful God.

The loving God is portrayed as knowing you before you were born, knows every hair on your head, and had Jesus rebuke those who were preventing children from coming to him.  We see comments here of people saying they will pray for the person, as if a kind loving God will help out.  The OP explained how he never felt he received any help ever.  The difference again highlights vengeful vs is loving.  

If children are so sacred and special then why would a loving God allow children with cancer?  Hey child you are special and loved, here is cancer now suffer a miserable very short life and die.  Adults will claim their struggles is just God testing their faith as way to explain it.  A child can't comprehend that, so why are they inflicted with misery and death?  Some will argue it is to test the parents faith.  Meaning the loving God allows a child suffer and die...even though Jesus said that was one of the worst things ever.  

I don't have any answers, just lots of questions that can't be answered.  From my experiences what I see is we still have a vengeful God.  Feel free to watch the Cancer Awareness video and then explain how a loving God would allow that much misery, suffering, and death in children.

God gave you everything to stop it dumbass... get out there and stop it.  coach can't catch the ball for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kGueJKC8S8
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People die. Young. Old. In the middle. Sometimes of sickness. Sometimes for no reason. Sometimes due to other's choices. That's life.

God gave you everything to stop it dumbass... get out there and stop it.  coach can't catch the ball for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kGueJKC8S8

Link Posted: 7/4/2021 3:53:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I just don't see how it could actually work in theoryI think it was the foundation for society and without it would be a much different world

But I just don't believe it

View Quote

Kind of my thinking. Religion, including Christianity, has also been the cause of much death and destruction.
Page / 19
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top