Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:14:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Other than the 737MAX, the rest of the Boeing fleet haven't shown any unusual behavior conditions.

If you REALLY want to freak out, read the reports on the flight control systems on the Airbus accidents that have happened in the past 25 years.   And their flight control design philosophy spans across their entire product spectrum, so they all share similar design constraints/weaknesses.
View Quote

Go back maybe 20 years and there were three 737 crashes.   One in Colorado Springs that I saw the smoke from the crash.  Another possibly in Pennsylvania and a third in a river in the far east.

I was wrong.   It was 31 years ago.

United Flight 585.  Colorado Springs

USAir 427.  This may be the Pennsylvania crash

Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:14:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Maybe my 2,500 T-45 Navy IP hours and 18,500 B737-200/300/500/700/800/Max hours made me talk a little too technical. Sorry about that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tough one. Hate to speculate on cause. But if the 737 gets too fast in a dive, really overspeeds, a mach wave will form over the horizontal stab making it impossible to pull out. With pod slung engines, in a dive, throttles need to be pulled to Idle, exacerbating the pitch down, but lessening thrust, elevator and stab trim use to pitch the nose up has to be judicious so as not to over G the Aircraft. NG in certain weight, altitude and wind conditions can overspeed just easing over out of altitude at VNAV TOD (vertical navigation at top of descent) on autopilot. Just have to monitor and anticipate it, click off auto throttles and autopilot if necessary, and lesson the rate of descent. Sometimes a mountain wave issue, but usually not violent enough to depart the aircraft.
No offense to you but this reads like an armchair flightsim commando.

Maybe my 2,500 T-45 Navy IP hours and 18,500 B737-200/300/500/700/800/Max hours made me talk a little too technical. Sorry about that.

Pffft...

Fucking rookie...
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:18:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It began to break up in flight.

I’m divided between catastrophic parts failure - like the tail came off.  

Or pilot suicide.

Even at that, possibly terrorist related/bomb.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/148484/F5F0653E-D2E0-4500-BCD3-61A733032398-2321165.jpg

Edit:

From the shitty videos of the plane going down,  it looks like the tail is missing.  Not even a pixel bump for it. Could be the angle of the video too. But, judging by the above… tail came apart, went into a nose dive.  Pilot woke up, tried to save it, rest of the plane came apart.
View Quote

-31k FPM
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:28:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Based on trackradar, it went from 30,000 feet to the ground in a hurry.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/mu5735#2b367bc1
View Quote

I don't see the normal altitude/airspeed data.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:36:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

engineer here (not the train kind).

you are confusing your emotions with statistics.

if you are at a US airport flying domestically, and concerned about the risk of dying -- whatever you do, do not drive home.

View Quote
Like all things statistics and averages don't really tell the whole story. When you are strapped to a plane nose diving, you have 0% chance of influencing the outcome. In a car, you have a little more control over the situation. Also a car accident doesn't equal everybody dying automatically like most plane crashes do.

On average driving is more deadly, but the modes of death aren't the same.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:42:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I corrected it. Looked at total non fleet jet (SNA orange and white was included) and listed total jet. 2,200 Jet IP and only 15k 737.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:44:44 PM EDT
[#7]
China Covid killed my buddy
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:47:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Go back maybe 20 years and there were three 737 crashes.   One in Colorado Springs that I saw the smoke from the crash.  Another possibly in Pennsylvania and a third in a river in the far east.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Other than the 737MAX, the rest of the Boeing fleet haven't shown any unusual behavior conditions.

If you REALLY want to freak out, read the reports on the flight control systems on the Airbus accidents that have happened in the past 25 years.   And their flight control design philosophy spans across their entire product spectrum, so they all share similar design constraints/weaknesses.

That's what I was thinking about.  Those were caused by something screwy with the rudder controls (That I'm pretty sure they fixed).  They called it a "hard over".  I don't know how true it is but on one of them the FAA spokesman said that the CVR recording was extremely hard to listen to because you could hear passengers screaming as they entered the dive.

RIP to the poor folks on this one.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 12:11:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There’s a great documentary about the MAX and the flight control problems it has. The new 737s still use the old airframes. The whole upgrade process was hastily thrown together to compete with airbus. It is a dangerous plane and it always has been.
View Quote

How long have you had your 737 type rating?
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 12:21:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Damn.  That is sad.  Prayers out for the victims and their families.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/22/2022 12:24:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

engineer here (not the train kind).

you are confusing your emotions with statistics.

if you are at a US airport flying domestically, and concerned about the risk of dying -- whatever you do, do not drive home.

View Quote

Even a gun is more likely to kill you in an accident than a plane, and that's saying something, considering how few fatal gun accidents there are.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 12:39:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not a pilot but there is no way an airliner can go vertical into the ground like that unintentionally, especially a newer airplane.
View Quote

Atlas Air diversity hires say hold my beer.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 12:40:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Maybe my 2,200 T-45 Navy IP hours and 15,000 B737-200/300/500/700/800/Max hours made me talk a little too technical. Sorry about that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tough one. Hate to speculate on cause. But if the 737 gets too fast in a dive, really overspeeds, a mach wave will form over the horizontal stab making it impossible to pull out. With pod slung engines, in a dive, throttles need to be pulled to Idle, exacerbating the pitch down, but lessening thrust, elevator and stab trim use to pitch the nose up has to be judicious so as not to over G the Aircraft. NG in certain weight, altitude and wind conditions can overspeed just easing over out of altitude at VNAV TOD (vertical navigation at top of descent) on autopilot. Just have to monitor and anticipate it, click off auto throttles and autopilot if necessary, and lesson the rate of descent. Sometimes a mountain wave issue, but usually not violent enough to depart the aircraft.

Maybe my 2,200 T-45 Navy IP hours and 15,000 B737-200/300/500/700/800/Max hours made me talk a little too technical. Sorry about that.

LMAO
Nice!!
Not only did you rip that purse and toss it out the window, the arm was still attached to it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 1:45:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Still safer than driving your car. If it's not Boeing, I'm not going.
View Quote

I fly whatever is at the end of the jetway as long as flown by western pilots and with 1st world maintenance.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 2:36:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
133 souls.
View Quote

Maybe not 133.

Communists don't have souls
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 3:05:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Not a pilot, not an engineer. Not even on TV. Kinda would think if the wings stayed on it would be a lot of work to get a plane that size to go straight down for that long. Even headed straight down the wings will provide lift pulling it away from a straight dive. That assumes the wings were still on.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 5:15:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did the "T-45 Instructor Pilot to Southwest Airlines" in his name give it away?
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:53:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

-31k FPM
View Quote

Note: That is the max decent that FlightRadar24 can record. If you calculate the actual decent rate, it peaked at over 50K FPM!!!
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:12:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Maybe the tail came off during that dive?
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:52:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Note: That is the max decent that FlightRadar24 can record. If you calculate the actual decent rate, it peaked at over 50K FPM!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-31k FPM

Ahem...

...”descent.”

Thanks for all you do.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:52:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Aviation Herald summary article posted today with pictures of the crash site.  
https://www.avherald.com/h?article=4f64be2f&opt=0
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 12:16:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I corrected it. Looked at total non fleet jet (SNA orange and white was included) and listed total jet. 2,200 Jet IP and only 15k 737.
View Quote

Based on your 737 experience, any significance to what blancolirio noted in his video?  It looked like the trouble started at about the same point in the route as the point in the previous flight where they would have started their initial decent?

Is that a point where they switch off or change autopilot settings?  Maybe someone fat fingered the input to the autopilot?  I am not a pilot so not even sure what gets put in.  Do you plug in a new flight level?  So maybe they wanted to go from 29,000 ft to 20,000 feet but they left off a zero so programed the AP to go to 2,000 ft, and in doing so it decided to nose dive?
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 12:28:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Having a type rating doesn’t make a pilot an expert in the airframe.  I know many ‘tards with 737 types who haven’t a clue beyond the gouge how the airplane works or remote understanding of aerodynamics. It’s amazing how many of these aviation armchair quarterbacks know more about the 737 than a good portion of type rated pilots.  

A pilot can buy a 737 type rating from one of many simulator facilities and be complete in 10-12 days.  No way an expert on the airframe.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 12:36:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

The 737 Max was a massive fuckup by Boeing.  I don't need to be an engineer or 737 pilot to see that.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 1:06:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I’d guess that fuselage was made here in Wichita.
View Quote

It was, but interestingly a high percentage of both the horizontal and vertical stabs are made in China. The remainder are Korean.

That tail assembly is ungodly strong. I know, I supervised 737 empennage for two years.

FWIW, my money is going with a human event, or Chinese maintenance. I just don't see this being a catastrophic airframe failure. The NGs are such a well known commodity the odds of an unrecoverable runaway flight control system don't seem very high, either*.

*T45 says it's doable, but in the hundreds of thousands of hours on the combined fleet how many have been lost to that scenario? I would assume it's trained/sim'd pretty extensively if the potential to lose the aircraft is that high.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 1:18:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/22/2022 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://c.tenor.com/K9-SqJMNjkEAAAAC/emotional-damage.gif

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Aviation Herald summary article posted today with pictures of the crash site.  
https://www.avherald.com/h?article=4f64be2f&opt=0
View Quote

I wonder what the screen name is of the Aviation Herald's ad guy?

Link Posted: 3/22/2022 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Based on your 737 experience, any significance to what blancolirio noted in his video?  It looked like the trouble started at about the same point in the route as the point in the previous flight where they would have started their initial decent?

Is that a point where they switch off or change autopilot settings?  Maybe someone fat fingered the input to the autopilot?  I am not a pilot so not even sure what gets put in.  Do you plug in a new flight level?  So maybe they wanted to go from 29,000 ft to 20,000 feet but they left off a zero so programed the AP to go to 2,000 ft, and in doing so it decided to nose dive?
View Quote

It doesn't really work like that, but you are correct in that things tend to happen whenever we make a change.

The Chinese use the autopilot about 98% of the time. I seriously doubt that they were hand flying from top of descent. It's just too early to know, and we have to see the "black box" data.

On a side note, flying in Chinese airspace is a real pain in the ass. They have a very limited route structure due to the preponderance of military airspace, and they constantly require you to fly offsets and at inefficient altitudes.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 1:39:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Having read through this thread I'll swing my purse now .  I have a few hours as Captain in the 737-300G/700/800/900ER, along with various other military and commerical aircraft from MD, Boeing and Airbus.  I work with our safety division from time to time and had actually given training to China Eastern pilots when they first got 757s over 20 years ago.  To say they are bad would be an understatement.  I described them as "Beyond Bad".  Bad was insufficient in describing how bad they were.  In reading one of the posted articles it stated there were 3 pilots and a safety officer?  What was going on in that flight deck.  Hopefully they find the CVR and FDR and the Chinese government doesn't cover up what is discovered.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 2:00:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The 737 Max was a massive fuckup by Boeing.  I don't need to be an engineer or 737 pilot to see that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was the 737NG a massive fuckup, too?
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 2:30:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Personally, I have spent many hours drunk on a 737.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:03:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Hopefully they find the CVR and FDR and the Chinese government doesn't cover up what is discovered.
View Quote

Considering how hard it hit, I'd say there is a fairly slim chance of the former.
And no chance of the latter.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:10:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Considering how hard it hit, I'd say there is a fairly slim chance of the former.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hopefully they find the CVR and FDR and the Chinese government doesn't cover up what is discovered.

Are they not rated to survive those sorts of impact speeds?

If it *were* terrorism in the form of a hijacking attempt, I doubt we'll ever know.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:15:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

The FDR and CVR are designed to survive those types of impacts.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:18:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

The NG is a good aircraft.  All planes have their quirks and it has a few but I liked flying them.  Not a 757 but a good aircraft.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:27:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

A pilot can buy a 737 type rating from one of many simulator facilities and be complete in 10-12 days.  No way an expert on the airframe.
View Quote
I once had to explain the exterior lights to a 737 first officer, outside on the ramp with them all turned on, because he was convinced that the tail navigation light was burned out.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:29:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The NG is a good aircraft.  All planes have their quirks and it has a few but I liked flying them.  Not a 757 but a good aircraft.
View Quote

One of my favorites as far as being a passenger goes. They just seem sporty.
One trip in 2019 to Anaheim I knew we were coming in a bit high and hot, touched down about half way down the runway. Found out how good the brakes were.
Had to turn around on the threshold to get back to the taxiway.

We were last to exit as the Mrs is disabled and needs assistance while flying. Pilot was standing at the cabin door as we were finally deplaning and I said "Came in a bit hot Skipper ?"
He just pulled a big grin and gave a wink.

LOL
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:33:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

One trip in 2019 to Anaheim I knew we were coming in a bit high and hot, touched down about half way down the runway. Found out how good the brakes were.

We were last to exit as the Mrs is disabled and needs assistance while flying. Pilot was standing at the cabin door as we were finally deplaning and I said "Came in a bit hot Skipper ?"

LOL
View Quote

Great story!
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 4:46:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know.  I know that they occasionally haven't been recoverable.  Figured the hardest, worst possible impacts might sometimes be too much for them.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 5:13:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

LOL
View Quote

I had a similar one years ago in India.  Was flying I think from Bangalore back to Mumbai to connect to my return flight to the US.   Those of you that have been to India know monsoon season is a real bugger on air travel.   As you come into Mumbai from the east you come over a small range of mountains, and as we did we then dropped to probably only a couple thousand feet to get under the weather.  Having flown that route a lot I was a little nervous knowing we were still a long way from the airport.

A few miles out we went into a complete deluge...like hardly able to see past the wingtips type of rain.  I was over the wings so heard and him configuring for landing, but I had absolutely no visual reference for speed or altitude.   All of a sudden we were on the run way...no flare, no nothing, just flew it HARD into the runway in what felt like a 3 point touch down, and then mashed the brakes and thrust reversers.   Definitely the most violent deceleration I've been a part of in my years of flying as a passenger.

There were a lot of faces of disbelief and confusion as people were absolutely not expecting to land when we did.  A guy in the row ahead of me piped up and said "must have been Naval Aviator, he just slammed her on the deck and hoped to catch a wire."  
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 5:15:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then why don't they design the whole plane that way?
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 5:16:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It doesn't really work like that, but you are correct in that things tend to happen whenever we make a change.

The Chinese use the autopilot about 98% of the time. I seriously doubt that they were hand flying from top of descent. It's just too early to know, and we have to see the "black box" data.

On a side note, flying in Chinese airspace is a real pain in the ass. They have a very limited route structure due to the preponderance of military airspace, and they constantly require you to fly offsets and at inefficient altitudes.
View Quote

I appreciate the insight there.  As an engineer that does a lot of failure analysis and investigations in a totally unrelated industry, things like that always stand out to me as possible "whoopsie" moments.  With so much digital control these day it is really easy to literally fat finger something, put in an extra zero or leave one out that can make a real difference.

What is the normal procedure then at top of decent?  Assuming it is some changes to inputs to the autopilot to fly the expected approach?
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 5:18:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Survive" is a relative term. They just need to be made in such a way that the data inside is recoverable, even if you have to peel off the rest of the container to get to it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 5:21:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Seems....deliberate.  But we will never know what happened.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 5:24:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Still safer than driving your car. If it's not Boeing, I'm not going.
View Quote
Yeah... well I'm less likely to die in my car going 500kts straight into a mountain in China!

(btw - I agree with you)
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If they were lucky.  Would require a decompress.  Hopefully when the tail (or whatever) departed the aircraft it took the pressure bulkhead with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone on board was knocked out / dead from the initial drop from 30k.

The fright probably only lasted a few seconds before they were sleeping.
If they were lucky.  Would require a decompress.  Hopefully when the tail (or whatever) departed the aircraft it took the pressure bulkhead with it.
I am extremely skeptical that even with explosive decompression, unless a passenger took a hard hit by a piece of debris or fellow passenger, I'm afraid they would have stayed very much conscious the whole way down.

I have seen nothing to indicate that general conditions would have made consciousness unlikely.  Loss of pressure, G loading, temperature, noise, etc...  All were likely well within the range that a human could survive for a minute at least.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 5:38:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Lol thats a horrible comparison.

The B-2 is fly by wire and cant perform without functioning flight computers. Especially if theres an issue with the air data probes (which caused one to crash).

The Boeing 737 NG is an old fashioned stick and rudder aircraft with no fly-by wire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Airplanes don't go straight when the tail is missing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vb7IKhVKu4

Lol thats a horrible comparison.

The B-2 is fly by wire and cant perform without functioning flight computers. Especially if theres an issue with the air data probes (which caused one to crash).

The Boeing 737 NG is an old fashioned stick and rudder aircraft with no fly-by wire.
Are you sure about that?  You telling me that the pilot pulls a lever which is actually connected to elevators and ailerons, and not separated with sensors, wires, motors, hydraulics, etc?
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 5:39:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

LOL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

Had a flight on a SWA 737 into MKE back around 2010, we were running about 10 minutes late and were cleared to land 7R with a REALLY cooking tailwind.  We were clearly faster across the ground than usual as we crossed the threshold.  Plunked it down carrier style, and full brakes/reversers........we pulled in the thrust reversers and rolled off at the very end of the runway onto taxiway November still doing about 20kts.  Made up that 10 minutes by not having to fly past the airport out over the lake and come back west to land on 25L lol.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 5:44:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have no idea.  Maybe you do.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top