[#2]

CIROC
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 4:07:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Level Vodka
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've never done it, but I've heard that running cheap vodka through a Brita filter makes it taste a lot better.

You'd probably want a dedicated vodka pitcher.

Also this.  I've done it, and if you run it through a relatively fresh filter 7-10 times you'll turn you booze into something as smooth as the high-end stuff.  It's a bit of a pain, what with the pouring and waiting and trying not to splash your precious elixir.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I've never done it, but I've heard that running cheap vodka through a Brita filter makes it taste a lot better.

You'd probably want a dedicated vodka pitcher.

It works surprisingly well.

Link Posted: 12/1/2011 4:13:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Olifant. From Holland.

Had a bottle once, it was fucking great, especially for the price. Haven't found any ever again.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 4:16:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Costco's house brand Kirkland Vodka.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 4:16:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I find Stolichnaya to be palatable and reasonably inexpensive.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 4:24:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Friis.

It's a very high-quality vodka (distilled five or six times, IIRC), but because it's not well-known, and from a country that doesn't traditionally make vodka (Denmark), its price is surprisingly cheap (almost as cheap as the really shitty vodka).  

I'd say it's as good as Grey Goose/Belvedere, at about 1/3 of the price.

This.  

I like Tito's too but for the money Fris gets my vote. That used to be all I bought until they quit selling it at the local store.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 4:30:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Platinum or I just got a case of Gilbey's for $55
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Russian Standard
Dripping Springs
Tito's
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Titos!
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 4:39:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Anybody try Chopin?  How does it rate?
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 5:09:00 PM EDT
[#14]
One of those news shows (Dateline or 60 Minutes or something like that) did a show to see if people could tell any difference between vodkas.

The test panel was comprised of self-professed Vodka officionados, who all swore that they'd be able to tell the "good" vodkas" from the "bad".

I probably don't need to tell you how it ended...

When blindfolded, they couldn't tell the $8 stuff from the $80 stuff.  None of 'em could.

Buy whatever's cheapest, and don't get wrapped up in the marketing and hype...which is what most people do.  Properly made Vodka is virtually odorless and tasteless...you're wasting money if you spend more than $10 on a bottle of it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 5:13:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Russian Standard

Link Posted: 12/1/2011 5:15:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Dripping Springs.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Pure grain alcohol + rainwater...
...Mandrake
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 5:33:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
PINNACLE

This

Link Posted: 12/1/2011 5:35:37 PM EDT
[#19]
absolute
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 5:37:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Let's just settle this shit right now.
Tito's is excellent.

Glacier is the best. Spend $50 or a bottle of vodka, that's silly.

Glacier is less than $25.
Just keep it in the freezer.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 5:38:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Stoli

I was a Russian linguist and every Russian I knew with one exception wouldn't drink anything else.

Link Posted: 12/1/2011 5:43:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Russian Standard

/thread
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 5:48:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Dan Akroyd's Crystal Head Vodka

I would buy for the bottle alone.

info
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 5:53:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the info!!

Let me clarify it a bit though. I drink my vodka with a bit of soda or seltzer and a lemon twist with a dash of cranberry. Since I mix, spending money on a premium vodka doesn't really make too much sense.

Does this help a bit?

Seriously, who drinks Vodka straight other than the rooskies? I am a huge fan of Tito's and it's mainly due to cost vs taste. I mix with tonic and lime. I drank way too many last Friday at a party we through at the house and I felt fine the next day.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 5:56:08 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me clarify it a bit though. I drink my vodka with a bit of soda or seltzer and a lemon twist with a dash of cranberry. Since I mix, spending money on a premium vodka doesn't really make too much sense.

Does this help a bit?

Seriously, who drinks Vodka straight other than the rooskies? I am a huge fan of Tito's and it's mainly due to cost vs taste. I mix with tonic and lime. I drank way too many last Friday at a party we through at the house and I felt fine the next day.

I do.  Maybe it's the Polish and Ukranian ancestry.  

Although I've got nothing against mixing it with things. either.

Link Posted: 12/1/2011 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.luxist.com/media/2008/10/crystalhead1.jpg

info

Dont. Its awful. $9 vodka taste in a $50 bottle.

Link Posted: 12/1/2011 6:03:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.luxist.com/media/2008/10/crystalhead1.jpg

info

Dont. Its awful. $9 vodka taste in a $50 bottle.  

thanks for the heads up, Still a cool bottle.

Link Posted: 12/1/2011 6:04:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Friis.

It's a very high-quality vodka (distilled five or six times, IIRC), but because it's not well-known, and from a country that doesn't traditionally make vodka (Denmark), its price is surprisingly cheap (almost as cheap as the really shitty vodka).  

THIS!

Best bang for the vodka buck.  It's great!  Blows shit like Skyy vodka totally out of the water.  Definitely on par with Absolut but costs much less.  Just bought a giant 2 litre bottle and it came with a $5 rebate.  Cost me all of $10.99 in the long run.  Can't go wrong with Fris.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 6:07:09 PM EDT
[#30]
This thread is relevant to my interests.  For cheap I go Skyy or Pinnacle.  They both go down easy and tastes decent
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 6:16:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Svedka is hard to beat for $20/handle.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 6:17:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Tito's or Dripping Springs.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 6:27:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Anybody try Chopin?  How does it rate?

It's very good.

Unless you're paying for it. B
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 6:29:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Does this help a bit?

Might as well stick with Smirnoff or Segams.

Link Posted: 12/1/2011 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#35]
I am suprised no one has mentioned Viking Fjord. For the price it is an incredible potato vodka. Six times distilled, it is outstanding for the price.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1262/5142255743_0a8c5f9e7e.jpg
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 6:31:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Stoli

Got my vote too.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 6:31:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Where's the love Vladi (Vladimir). For cheap vodka it's hard to beat. Smoother than any other cheap Vodka I've had.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 6:31:45 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I am suprised no one has mentioned Viking Fjord. For the price it is an incredible potatoe vodka. Six times distilled, it is outstanding for the price.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1262/5142255743_0a8c5f9e7e.jpg

Vice President Quayle, is that you?

Link Posted: 12/1/2011 6:33:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Friis.

I like Kettle One or Belvedere, I may have to try that. Does it come with free waterfowl rape?
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Does this help a bit?

I drink vodka straight, but not if it is crappy like skol.  I have a large amount of polish in me as well.  I don't trust anybody's opinion on vodka if they haven't drank a decent portion of it straight.  It is hard to differentiate good vodka from great vodka after mixing it with more than 2-3 light flavored ingredients.  

I've had many vodkas, including ones in this thread, that have fell short of what I consider great for the money.  One example is Svedka.  I thought I found a winner the first night I purchased it, wake up the next morning with a mild hangover.  I keep trying it a fifth at a time to see if it is a fluke, but it wasn't.  

Don't even ask me what I think of putting a quality vodka in the freezer.  

Vodka comes in from many sources, the most popular are wheat, rye, corn, and potato vodka.  I won't go into the main qualities of each type, but I know I like potato vodkas most(wheat is second I guess).  So the best for my $ is Blue Ice vodka which is around $14-16.  

ETA: I keep meaning to pick up Friis, but they never stock 1/5s at my store.  Not getting my hopes up about the hype; I haven't had a freeze-distilled vodka that I enjoy yet.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 6:37:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Russian Standard.

/thread.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 6:38:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
PINNACLE

What he said. I have drank a lot of booze and can speak from experiance. (Hardcore party animal in college, frat boy, worked as a bartender, dated several bartenders and married a bartender/bar manager)
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Russian Standard at about $20 a bottle.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 6:46:06 PM EDT
[#44]
I've had several vodkas including a few of the top shelf brands and so far Titos tastes the best.  It must cost a lot more here in TX.  unless the $20 bottle mentioned is .750 ml.  I buy it when it's 20% off and still pay right at $28 for the 1.75 size.  I keep it in the freezer............what's wrong with that? On titos bottle it says "one shake out of the freezer".   I like it even if it's made in Austin
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 7:00:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Tito's
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 7:05:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Does this help a bit?

I drink vodka straight, but not if it is crappy like skol.  I have a large amount of polish in me as well.  I don't trust anybody's opinion on vodka if they haven't drank a decent portion of it straight.  It is hard to differentiate good vodka from great vodka after mixing it with more than 2-3 light flavored ingredients.  

I've had many vodkas, including ones in this thread, that have fell short of what I consider great for the money.  One example is Svedka.  I thought I found a winner the first night I purchased it, wake up the next morning with a mild hangover.  I keep trying it a fifth at a time to see if it is a fluke, but it wasn't.  

Vodka comes in from many sources, the most popular are wheat, rye, corn, and potato vodka.  I won't go into the main qualities of each type, but I know I like potato vodkas most(wheat is second I guess).  So the best for my $ is Blue Ice vodka which is around $14-16.  

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj187/MrSogetsu/Misc/Random/P8200052.jpg

ETA: I keep meaning to pick up Friis, but they never stock 1/5s at my store.  Not getting my hopes up about the hype; I haven't had a freeze-distilled vodka that I enjoy yet.

Vodka is touted as odorless and tasteless, which is not true, but something with that stigma is meant to have flavor added to it. How is Tito's straight compared to others? I'm a Bourbon guy so that I can drink with a splash of water since it has many depths of flavors in comparison.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 7:11:12 PM EDT
[#47]
having drank almost all the vodkas stated in this thread  I can honestly say for the money, Level (an Absolute brand) is the best for the money.

Smoothest and richest taste for sure.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 7:11:18 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does this help a bit?

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj187/MrSogetsu/Misc/Random/P8200052.jpg

I'm not an afficionado or anything, so I haven't had nearly as many
varieties as some people here have.  I got lucky and stumbled across a
couple I liked early and generally stick with them unless I get a sudden
urge to try something new.

I don't even like mixing one if I don't like it straight.  That goes for things other than vodka, come to think of it, but it's almost even more so with vodka.  I think it's the smell that gets me.  You compare something like Tito's or Sobieski to, I don't know, something like Smirnoff.  The Tito's just smells cleaner or lighter or something.  Smirnoff smells like you should be cleaning paint brushes in it.  It bleeds through, even when mixed.  Not a fan of that.

Not a fan of the freezer either.  Cold is one thing.  COLD is a whole other.  You lose something after a certain point.

Link Posted: 12/1/2011 7:13:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
In before all of the Texans start crowing about Tito's.

ETA-Tito's is the best for the money.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I've had several vodkas including a few of the top shelf brands and so far Titos tastes the best.  It must cost a lot more here in TX.  unless the $20 bottle mentioned is .750 ml.  I buy it when it's 20% off and still pay right at $28 for the 1.75 size.  I keep it in the freezer............what's wrong with that? On titos bottle it says "one shake out of the freezer".   I like it even if it's made in Austin

Tito's is $20.99 for 750 ml up here.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top